Archinect
anchor

College Football '07

won and done williams

come on, eastcoast. we don't need that. you are a buckeye, aren't you?

Sep 22, 07 10:33 pm  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

i know i know. i had to though. sorry.

Sep 22, 07 10:37 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

MSU deals ND its 6th loss in a row. MSU's passing offense isn't great, but the defense is good - ND only put together one legitimate drive that wouldn't have been possible without a flukey 40 yard run by the domers. People in East Lansing must be heartened by at least the potential opportunity to turn down the Motor City Bowl. And if I lived in South Bend, I might be starting to suspect that maybe all this isn't Ty Willingham's fault. Is George O'Leary still available?

Couldn't watch the Michigan/Pennsylvania State game, but Michigan should at least be able to put together two more wins over cupcakes before they have to play Purdue. I suspect that the burlermakers may give Michigan Oregon like trouble - we'll see how much of the defensive weakness lies simply against the spread or if it is a QB containment problem. Painter doesn't have legs like that guy from Oregon.

Man are Northwestern and Minnesota awful.

Sep 22, 07 11:21 pm  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

down with Northwestern

Sep 23, 07 2:56 am  · 
 · 

just got my ticket for the SC/UW game this Saturday. Riding the bus home in my SC gear won't be very friendly after we've just wupped some Husky butt, but that's a price I'm willing to pay. = )

Sep 26, 07 8:53 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

I just saw that USC is a 21 1/2 point favorite over the dawgs. Rationalist, be sure to bring a book.

Sep 27, 07 12:07 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

what? it's friday afternoon and nobody else is excited about the notre dame yet?

Sep 28, 07 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
dml955i

I'm predicting Clausen will get sacked at least six times and will start crying like the baby he is at least twice.

Sep 28, 07 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

purdue 55 domers -2

Sep 28, 07 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

ND is 23 point underdogs. Purdue is going to light them up. Don't want to jinx anything, but I am cautiously optimistic that they will go 0-5.

Sep 28, 07 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

after weak performances last night by white & slaton at west virginia, jimmy clausen will continue his furtive climb up the list of heisman favorites...by the end of the season it will be an obvious choice

oh, and jimmy clausen will probably score several touchdowns today...and make out with a bunch of cheerleaders

regarding the rest of the team, it's like lou holtz has been saying. we need to continue to give them love & affection and now when it's most difficult and they probably don't deserve it. i'm expected something heroic today. can't wait to see...

Sep 29, 07 8:53 am  · 
 · 

well, you can go on giving them love and affection for all of us, k puddles? You're just so good at it, and I'm so terrible. Oh wait, maybe that's because I only really want them to be good enough that my Trojans kicking their ass means something.

Fight On!

Sep 29, 07 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

The Northwestern Housecats (meow! meow!) are giving Meechegan a run for their money. Oh my. And check out the Zooks of Illinois!

I love college football.

Sep 29, 07 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

fuck the big ten network. that nw-michigan looked like an entertaining game on gamecast. too bad i couldn't watch it.

Sep 29, 07 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

michigan state looks good against wiscy, much faster than the badgers. could this be the spartans year?

but personally i miss john l.

Sep 29, 07 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
THEaquino

Brutal loss...Makes me wish we hadn't won the Cameron Colvin recruiting sweepstakes.

Good game Cal.

Go Trojans...Fight On!

Sep 29, 07 8:04 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

woah florida loses to auburn 20-17

Sep 29, 07 11:30 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

good, i got tix to the auburn - LSU game and i want it be a good one!

...seems like the huskies are the ones fighting on tonight!

Sep 29, 07 11:45 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

oh shit! this game is awesome! udub scores touchdown w/ 30 secs left!

Sep 29, 07 11:47 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

But, the Trojans still won and kept their perfect record. Yay team.

I have to say, I am doing very poorly at this school spirit thing. I totally forgot that there was even a game until about 30 minutes ago. I'm just not used to having a good football team, but even my alma mater (Cincy) is now rated 24 too.

myriam are you rooting against USC because you want LSU to be #1?!?

PS. I feel bad for Notre Dame. It's comparable to watching the Detroit Tigers try to avoid having the worst record ever a few years ago. That was gut-wrenching.

Sep 30, 07 12:19 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

this is why not having a playoff is sooooooooooooooooooo stupid. four top ten teams lose and number one is pushed to the limit.

Sep 30, 07 12:27 am  · 
 · 

Feels like a "Survival Saturday"... at least we survived! Apparently a lot of teams didn't.

It was a painful game for another reason- the guy next to me was the worst Husky homer EVER. Every penalty called on them was, "Bullshit! Where? I didn't see any (holding, jump, whatever)!" and every penalty on us it was, "Cheaters. Cheaterrrrrrrrrs!" Fortunately he calmed down a bit as the game went on, because if he'd kept up like he was in the 1st quarter, I may have gotten into a fight, because I just could not take any more of the shit he was spewing.

Sep 30, 07 12:57 am  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

fuck the gators. EAT THAT! florida's time is over.

GO BUCKS

Sep 30, 07 2:40 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

playoff?!

forget the playoff, that is so two years ago; sec-big ten challenge is where it's at. second week of the season pair every big ten team up against every sec team (but one). this is my current list of match-ups:

o-state v. florida (grudge match)
michigan v. lsu (never played)
penn state v. georgia
wisconsin v. tennessee
purdue v. alabama
michigan state v. auburn
illinois v. south carolina
iowa v. arkansas
indiana v. ole miss
northwestern v. vanderbilt
minnesota v. mississippi state

(sorry, kentucky)

every other year it switches to the last week of the regular season played in big ten country.

let's prove who's better on the field.

Sep 30, 07 9:16 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

you're assuming osu and michigan are the best in the big ten? maybe not this year. if each team dropped a game and they began a playoff at thanksgiving they could have a champeionship game by new years and they could rotate where its played, like in indianapolis for example, where the ncaa headquarters are, and teams who lose in the playoff and teams that don't get in the playoff could still play in the endless bowl of bowl games. make it mean something because these rankings don't mean anything.

Sep 30, 07 9:54 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

no, i'm saying i don't give a rip about who the "national champion" is, and the larger trend is that fans in general aren't as interested in creating the perfect formula to determine one national champion as they were a few years ago.

the new debate is about figuring out a way to prove which conference is better. i'm not saying osu or michigan is still at the top of the big ten. i'm just looking to create compelling one-on-one match-ups, a la the wwf. whichever conference gets the most wins is declared the winner of the challenge.

if they don't do that, just go back to the old bowl match-ups; i'm tired of the whole playoff debate.

Sep 30, 07 10:23 am  · 
 · 
myriam

WonderK, I hate to say (please don't get mad at me rationalist), but I root against USC mostly from being a southern california local girl... I can't really say that the school is very popular amongst the locals. (When you grow up there, you sort of absorb that USC is for "rich out-of-staters" who want to go to school in the best state in the union but can't get into the UC system, yadda yadda yadda, and UCLA is for us local kids. Stupid, but that's how you have it.)(Anyway, obviously it's different in the architecture circles anyway.) And also, the Trojan attitude is pretty geared towards pissing off everyone else, seemingly on purpose. (The whole 2003 debate is kind of obnoxious.) This is also why I have started rooted against Notre Dame since moving to the midwest. Their fans are annoying. Or *were* annoying...

On the flip side, everyone who taught me anything about football is from LSU, so I pull for them--until they beat USC this season and then become just as arrogant about it, which they will! Then I guess I will have to find some other non-arrogant fans. Probably Cal, my other current faves.

See this is what happens when your alma mater sucks at football. You get to attach yourself to other teams at will! :)

Sep 30, 07 10:27 am  · 
 · 
myriam

**Note: I don't actually believe in my childhood stereotype. I think USC is a fine school with excellent programs and excellent students. :) It just makes it handy to figure out who to pull for in football season, for no particular logical reason!

Sep 30, 07 10:35 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

fidler youre basically saying what the bowl system used to be. ie the rose bowel was big ten's best vs. pac 10's best. cotton bowel the same with whoever played that one etc. i wnat to see who the best team is period. basically i just cheer against teams. i already beat that horse though.

Sep 30, 07 10:41 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

yes, similar to the old bowl system, but i'm essentailly saying that the big ten and the sec are the only conferences that really matter and the most pressing issue is to determine which of the two is the better conference. the acc, big 12, and pac 10 are basically like the second stage at lalapalooza. you can see some great acts there (i saw the frogs, luscious jackson and the flaming lips in '95) and sometimes these acts are better than the main stage, but you really pay your money to see main stage (smashing pumpkins, beastie boys, breeders, etc.)

Sep 30, 07 11:02 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

you're just a homer man.

Sep 30, 07 11:09 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

no, just ask anyone that lives in the midwest or the south, and they'll say the same thing;)

Sep 30, 07 11:14 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

it would definitley be a money maker if these conferences would do something like that. could you see say a double header say at the hoosier dome that had lsu florida michigan and ohio state playing? well a money maker for indy at least.

Sep 30, 07 11:22 am  · 
 · 
med.

Fucken Mounties...

Sep 30, 07 11:51 am  · 
 · 
adso

Roll on you Bears

Unfortunately it won't last. Longshore, dinged up or not, is just not the guy.

Sep 30, 07 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

jafidler, the Smashing Pumpkins are my favorite band and they sucked at Lollapalooza. If I could go back I'd watch Luscious Jackson and the Flaming Lips instead.

Point being, perhaps the quality isn't exactly where you think it is.

Sep 30, 07 12:23 pm  · 
 · 

How can the big ten and the SEC be the only conferences that matter, when a team from the Pac 10 so consistantly stomps the competition, no matter what conference it is from?

Sep 30, 07 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

The conventional wisdom would say this it because each season the Pac10 title is awarded to USC before the first game. It's not that USC isn't good, it's that some people think that the rest of the conference isn't as strong from top to bottom.

I'm not sure that this is true anymore - every conference in the country seems to be fielding 2 or 3 contenders and 7 or 9 throwaways. The exception is the Mountain West, which is bad top to bottom.

Sep 30, 07 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

I still think that Big 10 football is the best if for no other reason than the long traditions and rivalries. The SEC is important because every team and personality worth rooting against has a presence there. I fully expect that when Notre Dame gives up its Independent status it will be to join the SEC.

Sep 30, 07 7:49 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

"I fully expect that when Notre Dame gives up its Independent status it will be to join the SEC."

are you kidding? i didn't realize south bend was in the southeast.

janosh's points about big ten and sec tradition i think are key. also the fact that people in the midwest and particularly, the south, live, eat, and breath college football. i'm getting married on an alabama off-week this year in tuscaloosa, because if we scheduled the wedding on a game day nobody would show up. that's serious passion. i don't think the same thing would happen in l.a.

Sep 30, 07 8:18 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

I'm just kidding. All the teams I despise are in the SEC, except for the domers.

Sep 30, 07 8:20 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

got it. a little slow on the uptake.

do you really hate the sec? despite growing up big ten through and through. i rather like the sec. i'm marrying a southern girl who introduced me to sec football. the first fall we were dating she took me to an alabama-auburn game. it was a sight from the tailgating on the quad to the frenzied atmosphere of bryant-denny. i really enjoyed it. i do think southerners are slightly sick when it comes to college football, but then again who am i to talk? the only sec team i completely despise is florida, but as any southerner will tell you, florida isn't the real south anyway.

Sep 30, 07 8:30 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

I know two couples both getting married on LSU's off-week, which pissed all their mutual friends off, but it was the only thing they could do. Besides the fact that no one would come on a game day, the traffic etc. would be too horrible.

Sep 30, 07 10:04 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

i was at a wedding last year in tuscaloosa the weekend of the alabama-lsu game (the bride and groom were auburn grads). at the reception, instead of being on the dance floor, everyone was gathered around the tube, watching the tide get pounded; people's priorities are a little screwed up down there.

Sep 30, 07 10:17 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

alright...notre dame sucks. and since i'm clearly a fairweather fan i think i'll jump on the trojan bandwagon with rationalist, wonderk, etc.

go trojans!!!

Oct 1, 07 10:06 am  · 
 · 
ether

screwed up?!? pbshaww...

Oct 1, 07 10:10 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

puddles, go drink another mai tai, you pete carroll-lovin' sissy.

Oct 1, 07 10:12 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

pete carroll is a ray of sunshine bouncing off a rainbow and coming to a championship game near you!!! yeah, yeah yeah!!!

face it...you wish that you were as cool as him...

and, of course, the grattuitous song girl picture...

Oct 1, 07 10:29 am  · 
 · 
dml955i

Pete Carroll rocks the mock... what a loser...

Oct 1, 07 10:34 am  · 
 · 
med.

This should just be called the USC football thread.

Oct 1, 07 11:02 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: