Archinect
anchor

College Football '07

vado retro

you may hate the domers as i do, having grown up in the shadow of touchdown jesus, but with the exception of the navy game, have one of the toughest schedules in the nation.

Sep 1, 07 1:41 pm  · 
 · 

But the schedule doesn't matter if you can't win the games.

Sep 1, 07 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

I'm so sick of football powerhouses scheduling these DI-AA creampuffs.

Sep 1, 07 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

...and losing.

Sep 1, 07 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i guess blue is out of bcs contention.

Sep 1, 07 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
Tony Snow

Vado, what about ND playing Stanford the last week of the season? That's really letting NBC down.

There are 5 channels of football on and I don't think any of them has shown Michigan - App St. footage. I would happily watch cell phone camera footage of a blocked Michigan field goal.

Sep 1, 07 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i really don't know as i hate notre dame. i also hate in no particular order usc, michigan, texas(the whole state) florida(the whole state) ucla, ohio state etc etc etc.

Sep 1, 07 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

oh my god - i just saw the mich. results - holy shite!

Sep 1, 07 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

the domers are fucking unwatchable on offence. their qb is acting as halfback and carrying the ball on every play? wtf. i though weis was an offensive genius. i havent seen them throw one pass.

Sep 1, 07 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Weiss needs to go -

Sep 1, 07 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

well the gators won... who schedules a game in g'ville at 12 noon in the summer? it thundershowers there EVERY afternoon in the summer.

Sep 1, 07 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

appalachian state?

really?
ouch.

Sep 1, 07 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

congrats appalachian

Sep 1, 07 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
kylemiller

364 days 'till michigan starts a new season.. can't wait

Sep 1, 07 8:11 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Mich. is a monster, I suspect this loss could be their wake up call. Outside chance they'll be contenders - early games dont carry the weight of end of year games. But wow, an upset for the ages.

Oh ya, one more thing,

the Garwondlers of the Big Ten

Sep 1, 07 9:54 pm  · 
 · 
JOM

Lloyd Carr blows.

I heard a rumor that App. State was the Div II champ last year and they got moved up. Is that true?
Maybe they are legit, or at least I hope so because Michigan really has been the but of college football today.

But at least Notre Dame does challenge there pathetic-ness.

Sep 1, 07 10:35 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

I'm seriously enjoying the Cal-Tenn. game... I'm not particularly pulling for either of them (slightly pulling for Cal over Tenn) but it's just a really enjoyable game!

Sep 1, 07 11:02 pm  · 
 · 
THEaquino

App. State was the Div. I-AA national champ last year...the NCAA changed the designation from Div I-AA to Division I Football Championship Subdivision. They are still in that Division. Division I has been changed to Division I Football Bowl Subdivision. Isn't that so much clearer?!?!

Sep 1, 07 11:16 pm  · 
 · 
boxy

Here's my sleeper for the year: Washington Huskies!

Sep 1, 07 11:20 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

these games are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long. i swear this cal/tennessee game has been on since i ate dinner four hours ago.

Sep 2, 07 12:04 am  · 
 · 

bah. Just got back from the expected win over Idaho. Most Boring Game, EVER. Please football gods, please schedule someone more interesting next year. Thank you!

Sep 2, 07 3:16 am  · 
 · 
jae

wow lsu beat the hell out of us...kind of saw it comming...hail state.

Sep 2, 07 3:55 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

rationalist, maybe, usc should schedule app state; they'll make a game of it.

this may sound pathetic, or maybe i just have a very plush life, but yesterday was one of the worst days in recent memory.

(the only bright spot on a very dark day is that you can count on notre dame to lay an egg, but really there is no gloating after that humiliation.)

Sep 2, 07 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i was just at nordstroms and they had espn on and i watched the highlights of that michigan debacle. they should replay that game, it was a thrillfest. indiana put up 55 which was a welcome sign.

Sep 2, 07 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

vado, with the michigan game, very few people, even here in michigan, actually saw the game, because it was only broadcast on the big ten network which is not carried by comcast. you pretty much had to be at a bar or at the stadium to have seen it. i saw the "highlights" today for the first time on michigan replay, lloyd carr's postgame half hour recap show. i listened to most of the game on the radio. i feel like not being able to see it made it that much worse for michigan fans. i don't know what it will mean for the big ten network.

Sep 2, 07 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

its bogus i aint payin for it cuz i m a casual fan, but i see other conferences goin to it as well. as far as the highlights appalacia looked like a big time team all the way. i guess what is really amazing about it is that it was done at michigan.

Sep 2, 07 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

ha, we randomly noticed we got the big ten channel the other day, without paying for it at all. too bad, since we're sec fans and the channel showing the sec wasn't working...

Sep 2, 07 10:53 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i thought you went to carnegie mellon and were from cali? are you some kind of freak or what???

Sep 2, 07 11:11 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

The next time I see a carnegie mellon game on TV, I'll be sure to root loudly!

Sep 3, 07 12:15 am  · 
 · 
dml955i

I can't wait for our road trip to Ann Arbor for the PSU game in a couple weeks...

The Big Ten Network sounds like a great idea in theory however, the Comcast Monopoly insists that it be part of their "sports premium tier" package rather than part of their basic . F Comcast!

The good news is that Penn State's drubbing of Notre Dame will be broadcast nationwide on NBC this weekend!

Sep 4, 07 8:49 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

dml
friend of mine just moved to teach at purdue...so i'm making my
second road trip to see a psu game. the last one was back in 93
or so when i saw them play rutgers at the old baltimore stadium.

notre dame looked pretty awful this weekend...and either um is
going to lose a lot of games this year or no more.

with direct tv i was able to see highlights of this weeks game...
apparently they let up the fewest amount of yards in joepas tenure
and it was the largest shutout as well..something like that.

Sep 4, 07 9:31 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

the whole concept of big ten network is terrible - it will alienate more fans, kind of like the Cubs moving from wgn a few years back. I actually watch more white sox because of that move.

The next thing we'll hear in 10 years is, "Hey, how come we're losing viewers? " Duh fuckos

between espn 1-infinity and cbs, nbc abc, any big ten game of note is aired in the midwest, and Im see plenty of Sec action as well. So was there ever a shortage of coverage?

Sep 4, 07 9:31 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

rationalist.

does usc ever play anyone? their conference schedule is weak..
their out of conference schedule is weak. do you know how many
ranked opponents they currently have on their schedule? one.
UCLA and they're ranked 14th (i may be missing one)...

the fact that they can even sniff the national championship game
with that schedule is ridiculous.

Sep 4, 07 9:37 am  · 
 · 
dml955i

Lars - we road tripped to Ann Arbor in '94 (PSU's last undefeated season). Spectacular game, great atmosphere at the Big House (but not as great as Happy Valley, obviously)...

Sep 4, 07 9:50 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

dml..
i was in school at the time so i remember it well.
i worked at the mcd's on college ave for a month and saw
kijana carter and kyle brady. also worked at spats and was
invited by one of the linebackers that worked there to play in
a tackle football game...no pads. i declined.

the atmosphere at happy valley has become even better then
when i was in school..was there when they played nebraska a
few years ago and the feeling was intense...

tried to go back when they played wisconsin a few years back,
but wasn't able to get in. their one loss being to michigan
in the last seconds.

Sep 4, 07 10:47 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

again, this is all you need to know...

saturday, 20 october, 2007...can't wait to slaughter the troyans

Sep 4, 07 11:26 am  · 
 · 

actually, they have THREE ranked opponents on the schedule: UCLA, Cal, and Nebraska. Get your stuff straight. Nobody can help their conference schedule, you just hope their good. In just the past few years we've scheduled out-of conference teams like VTech, Auburn, Arkansas (they were good when we scheduled them, but by the time the games came around not so much). And Notre Dame is a locked in yearly thing, sometimes they're good sometimes they're bad. I can see how this year doesn't look that strong, but to say that they never have a strong schedule is uninformed.

Sep 4, 07 11:37 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

MEA CULPA

Sep 4, 07 11:41 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

oops didn't mean to post that by itself...
i did a cursory review of the top 25 and missed the two you mentioned
so you're right...

i tried to go back through their last few years
(2005, 2004 mainly)
of schedules to look and see who they'd played and i didn't see
a single team in the top ten...the same is true for this year.

notre dame hasn't been good for years..and are living off the hype
of years gone by...even with their semi recent resurgence they're still
not all that great.

Sep 4, 07 11:44 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

and it is true..year in and year out their conference is
weak and there is nothing they can do about it.

washington, ucla, oregon and cali have their good years but aren't
exactly world beaters.

i'd like to see them play a big ten or sec schedule just one year...
not because i think they wouldn't stack up..i think they'd play well..
but i also think they'd lose one or two games at least.

Sep 4, 07 11:48 am  · 
 · 

I remember several instances though of playing a top ten team, that suddenly wasn't a top ten team anymore after we beat them down. = )

I think the bowl games have to count for something. In the past few we've stomped Michigan a couple of times, played Texas to the wire (given some mistakes and bad calls that went both ways in that game), stomped Oklahoma when they were at the height of their run, Iowa when they had a good year... Those were all top ten, maybe even top five, teams. I think that sometimes people take that into account. Yeah we don't get a great conference schedule most years, but when we get through to the bowl games we do damn well in them.

Sep 4, 07 11:55 am  · 
 · 
dml955i

There must be a sign over the door to Charlie Weis's office that reads:

"Eat Like A Champion Today"...

Sep 4, 07 11:57 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

i'm thinking about getting a bunch of alumni together to purchase a billboard for a month which reads:

We need a better coach.

it would have a blue background with maize letters, and be located off of the I-94, and be similar to the bumper stickers that say "we need a better president." there should probably be one of these located in other umich alumni hubs, like chicago and san francisco. there could be any other number of slogans on it, and i will do this if any of you are interested.

Sep 4, 07 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

i hear you rationalist... two points..

i was just reading the game reports on the usc website and they
usually listed the ranking at the time...admittedly a cursory review.

i think the problem with the strength of schedule leads to good
bowl games...if they had a strong schedule and had to play five
above average teams (two or three in the top ten with three
more in the top 25 for instance) they'd have a little more trouble
with injuries and/or just general wear and tear.

again it's all speculation and i don't really have any strong feelings
one way or the other...i just wish there were a more level playing
field...this may also stem from the fact that i went to psu and have
to see them play:

5. Michigan (although maybe a bit overrated perchance?)
7. Wisconsin
11. Ohio State
along with occassionaly good iowa, indiana, northwestern, purdue,
and for whatever reason that pesky michigan state...

they're also playing notre dame this year.

Sep 4, 07 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

bossman, dude, simmer down; you sound like some of the local crazed boosters...uh...hem...ed martin. it's as if you still lived here. the team was ill-prepared, and carr owned up to that. on top of that they came out flat, also perhaps carr's fault. the general philosophy on playcalling and defense is dated. carr has had trouble realizing the game has changed from the days when you could simply out muscle an opponent. i don't disagree that a change at the top may not be a bad idea next season. frankly, i think carr would agree with you, and it will likely come to pass. but let the rest of the season play out. michigan is not nearly as bad as that loss would indicate. i still predict they take the big ten.

Sep 4, 07 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

a playoff would be so easy if they shortened the schedule by a game and these teams would stop scheduling pushovers like appalacia state. whoops bad example...

Sep 4, 07 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
simples

our office is in southfield, michigan...there are many people here still crying...

Sep 4, 07 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i would cry too if i had to go to work in southfield, michigan everyday

Sep 4, 07 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

as a big ten fan i can only take some pleasure in michigan losing...
but the other side of me thinks it reflects a bit poorly on the
league...that and michigan may be out for blood...

of course it might not matter with carr coaching as a lame duck
coach waiting to fall on his sword.

Sep 4, 07 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

okay, well maybe that would be mean. but lets face it, 1997 was 10 years ago to this game.

Sep 4, 07 2:29 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: