anchor

College Football '07

momentum

go texas tech!!

Sep 9, 07 9:00 pm  · 
 · 
ryanj

RAIDER!!!...POWER!!!

if we can get through okie state in two weeks we could be 6-0 going into our game against the Fake Army

Sep 9, 07 9:10 pm  · 
 · 
THEaquino

The crazy thing is after next week, either ND or Michigan will be 0-3. If there were only a way both teams could lose...

Sep 9, 07 10:28 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

Nah, aquino, my Bro-in-law is a huge ND fan, and he's just been a dick all season. I hope the Irish pull one out. I miss my fishin' buddy.

Sep 9, 07 11:20 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

I missed the game - how did Clausen do on Saturday?

Sep 10, 07 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

on my

football rivalry at center of bar fight

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — To some Oklahoma football fans, there are things that just aren't done in the heart of Sooner Nation, and one of them is to walk into a bar wearing a Texas Longhorns T-shirt.

That's exactly what touched off a bloody skirmish that left a Texas-shirt-wearing fan nearly castrated and an Oklahoma fan facing aggravated assault charges that could put him in prison for up to five years.

The shocking case has set off a raging debate in this football-crazed region about the extreme passions behind a bitter rivalry. Some legal observers have even questioned whether this case could ever truly have an impartial jury.

"I've actually heard callers on talk radio say that this guy deserved what he got for wearing a Texas T-shirt into a bar in the middle of Sooner country," said Irven Box, an attorney in this city 20 miles from Oklahoma's campus in Norman.
Sep 12, 07 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

ND or UM tomorrow? Despite the last two weeks, NCAA rules prevent both teams from ending the game with 0-3 records...

Sep 15, 07 2:13 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

jimmy clausen is good...really good at football. check it out

Sep 15, 07 8:50 am  · 
 · 
Janosh

Puddles, that site is fantastic.

Sep 15, 07 10:31 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

let's all cut our hair like jimmy clausen and join his merry band of fans...

Sep 15, 07 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

shit...forgot to resize...

Sep 15, 07 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

that little leprechaun dance sc calls a fight song is one of the most annoying things i've ever heard, and they play it after ever damn first down. i usually avoid watching sc games so i don't get that thing stuck in my noggin.

Sep 15, 07 9:48 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Watching Nebraska-USC right now...

...duh-du-du-du-du-du Duh-duh duuuh, duh-du-du-du-du-du Duh-duh duuuh, Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh.

Hope Nebraska can put it together in the second half. This year so far gives me hope that we are going to see more parity in college football. Not that I hate USC, it's just not nice seeing pro teams play Pop Warner kids every week.

Sep 15, 07 10:28 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

And speaking of Pop Warner team, boy does Notre Dame stink this year. We still won't know if Michigan is any good until next week.

Sep 15, 07 10:29 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

so much for parity, the huskers are getting trounced.

hell of a game, that alabama-arkansas game.

it was great seeing some of those hits crable had on clausen today, but i'm still too traumatized by um's first two games to do any sort of gloating after beating the irish. now if they can keep it rolling against psu (henne lined up on the ten, 3 seconds left to play, sees manningham crossing over the middle...) then i can start to get back into this college football season.

i've wasted enough brain cells on college football for one weekend.

Sep 15, 07 10:50 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

purdue is going to put up a hunnert on the domers in a coupla weeks...

Sep 15, 07 11:07 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Despite USC trouncing of once proud Nebraska, I do think that things in College Football are getting more equitable.

In addition to ND and UM sucking this year, just today we have Utah trouncing UCLA, Texas almost falling to Central Florida, Citadel kept it close against the Badgers, Louisville fell, and so on. Apart from the top 5, everyone else looks like they could lose to anyone this year. Conferences like the MWC, MAC, and Conf. USA just don't suck reliably top to bottom anymore. Big Ten teams have had a hell of a time with out of mid-major opponents so far this year - I think it's great.

Sep 16, 07 12:50 am  · 
 · 
THEaquino

WOW...way to play like a champions Domers

Every year they seem to get awesome recruits. Now they have a "genius" coach (who has an offense that's scored 13 points in 3 games). But they haven't won a bowl game in 14 years and only two of them weren't blow outs. Why are they held in such high regard every year again?

Sep 16, 07 1:20 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

the usually useless pregame studio talk may have made a good point that the domers lose a lot of recruits simply because they remain independent and the kidz these daze want to play for conference championships etc and an nbc contract don't mean much because a good team is gonna be on all the time anyway. for example, me living in indianastan but constantly having to watch usc or florida but i can't find my own school unless i subscribe to the big 10 network. wtf?

Sep 16, 07 9:24 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

the domers supposedly have the number one recruiting class in the country right now, and in the top 10 the last three years. i don't think having nbc and regis philbin fawning all over them is hurting their recruiting too bad. i'll be the first to say i hate notre dame, but they are so bad right now it's almost pitiful. they might suffer a 3-9 this season, but with the way weis has been recruiting they will be very good in the next couple years. enjoy this while it lasts.

Sep 16, 07 10:52 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

i feel the same way, they are so horrible that its almost not fun to seem them getting killed. their starting qb on opening day transferred to western illinois which is a good team by the way. although i don't expect indiana to win any conferences, i think they'll be competitive and their qb could be the next randle el.

Sep 16, 07 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Couple thoughts:

-Vado, I dunno if I can buy it. As jafidler sez, the talent is there at ND- it seems more a problem of getting the team to produce, and responsibility for that falls on the coaching staff. Sometimes a football coach's real genius is managing to get a bunch of hotshot high school stars to subordinate their egos for the good of the team. I don't know how Pete Carroll does it.

-It'll be interesting to see if ND can muster more patience with handsome Charlie than they did with Ty Willingham or Bob Davie. It's going to cost big bucks if they can't.

-It was a nice blast from the past to see George O'Leary on the sideline for UCF during the Texas game. I wonder if he ever got around to finishing that master's degree.

Sep 16, 07 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

yeah i don't know if its a valid reason or just something to fill the three hours of pregame show...but are they so young that they can't make a block, rush for a yard or two? snap the ball not over the qbs head?

Sep 16, 07 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

One more thing:

A dose of crow will be good for Michigan and ND. It tires me mightily to hear the fans of 10-3 teams call for their coaches heads because they don't win bowl games. I wonder how the Cornhucker fans feel today about getting rid of Solich a couple years ago.

Sep 16, 07 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

what s funny for me about college football is how many teams i hate. i hate em all. except the new powers who havent been good enough long enough.

Sep 16, 07 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

So true. My hated list includes the entire state of florida, any team coached by a Bowden, ND and UM (though neither seems worth the time anymore), and any team that plays on artificial turf. Special animosity is reserved for those that play indoors as it is contrary to Nature.

Sep 16, 07 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

the thing is, notre dame has much higher academic standards than all of these other schools (even michigan...and don't even start with the "usc is a good school" talk) and that's probably the reason that the irish occasionally lose some games to other teams. besides michigan cheated on saturday by bringing out the gladiator (russell crowe) to slaughter all of us catholics...fucking romans

pete carroll is successful & happy because he's the clueless coach of a bigtime cheating institution. reminds me a lot of the fab five days with michigan's basketball program. one of these days the shit's going to hit the fan and he will be axed hard.

in the meantime, i can't wait until the trojans come to south bend on october 20th...we'll be ready for them

Sep 17, 07 10:19 am  · 
 · 
Janosh

Hmm. We're not talking about MIT here... Except for Michigan Man Harbaugh talking about how tough it is to recruit at Stanford, I've never heard of a competitive DI-A Football coach lamenting that academics are getting in the way of the football program. I mean, how much better can the General Ed program be at ND?

Sep 17, 07 10:39 am  · 
 · 
dml955i

That's funny puddles... I think you should be more worried about squeaking out a win against Navy with your anemic offense and zero touchdowns.

I would also worry about Clausen becoming a vegetarian after all the turf he's been eating so far this year. Is he able to complete a pass longer than a two yard screen?

My buddies and I (PSU alums) are all geared up for our road trip to Ann Arbor this weekend - it should be a great game & test for both teams...

Sep 17, 07 10:41 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

actually janosh...i believe none other than charlie weiss has
complained about the academic standards at nd. i can't
imagine that they haven't stretched it at all...but maybe they've
made it tougher in the last couple years...that being the reason
they haven't had less than 3 losses in years.

i hope psu can finally beat um...good to see them win against
notre dame..that way they won't be quite as hungry and
embarrassed.

gotta be tough for clausen having lost three more games then
he ever lost in high school. (i believe i heard he was 48-0)

Sep 17, 07 11:33 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski
navy

...are you kidding me? the fighting irish are a football team...and a landlocked one at that...not a war machine. definitely not worried about navy

Sep 17, 07 11:59 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

aside from henne-to-manningham, other great moments in the michigan-penn state "rivalry." 2006, mr. morelli meet mr. branch - i think his bell is still rung from that hit. seeing a kid fall out of the giant elm tree in front of lee bollinger's house celebrating the beat down of '97.

low point of the rivalry, having to hear the continual whining of penn state fans about biased refereees.

Sep 17, 07 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
dml955i

Is Henne playing this weekend? Mallet was looking pretty good, but then again, Notre Dame's (lack of) defense makes anyone look good...

I don't think you can call Mich/PSU a rivalry when one team has won like the last 8 meetings! :) Hopefully, that'll change this weekend! It all depends on which PSU offense shows up and if Morelli can finally live up to the "next Dan Marino" hype when he was recruited...

BTW, I heard that ND's game this weekend will be broadcast on the Oxygen Channel...

Sep 17, 07 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

henne's still out. mallet will be in there. the kid's got a great arm, but still needs to learn the position. he doesn't make all his reads and telegraphs his throws. i can see him getting picked pretty easily at this point of his career. he had a good game last week, made the throws he had to, but handing the ball to hart for the last two quarters of the game isn't going to challenge him much.

Sep 17, 07 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

jafidler...

i'm not complaining..but i think even a michigan fan could agree
that they didn't deserve that last play against psu a few years
back...as i recall. the refs probably aren't biased, but they aren't
perfect either...and psu should've been undefeated.. they
should also have stopped um..but life goes on.

Sep 17, 07 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

goddam it, with all these self-conscious threads about archinect and overly pretentious threads about "Architecture," no one is writing about what really matters, COLLEGE FOOTBALL.

nittany lions are going down tomorrow!

go blue.

p.s. lars, can you explain to me what exactly happened at the end of the '05 michigan-penn state game. all i can remember is that carr asked to have two seconds put back on the game clock. i haved no idea why, can't remember the circumstances, but every psu fan i've met is obsessed about this.

Sep 21, 07 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

this assessment is correct. now that the curse has gone away, we will be unstoppable tomorrow in ann arbor. penn state will yet again lose, solely for psycological reasons, and michigan will knock them out of the top 25. perhaps lloyd will bring in russel crowe again to give the guys a pre-game pep talk. that usually works.

Sep 21, 07 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

jimmy, jimmy, jimmy clausen

Sep 21, 07 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

^hahaha

Sep 21, 07 7:38 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

It will be interesting to see how Michigan does against a more conventional offense. I hope they make a game of it.

ND on the other hand is now only an 11 1/2 point underdog. I'm quaking - only Michigan State is capable of losing this game, and I don't think it will be decided until the 4th quarter.

Sep 21, 07 9:16 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

notre dame will win it in the 4th quarter....just like they'll win it in the first, second and third quarters too!

i predict that fimmy clausen will throw two, or maybe three (if he feels like it) touchdown passes and then probably score a running touchdown too. i think he might also have a touchdown saving tackle on the one (bullshit, probably tipped ball) interception that he'll throw today. look out spartans!

Sep 22, 07 8:50 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

"make a game of it"?!

penn state has a couple studs on defense in connor and king, but those guys are in the secondary. hart will gash that line for 5, 6 yards before those guys get a chance to tackle him. thompson, crable, and b. graham look to be gelling as a pass rushing combo. if the penn st o-line can give morelli enough time to read the secondary, penn state could take it. if the michigan d-line breaks through, watch out - michigan rolls.

Sep 22, 07 11:00 am  · 
 · 
Janosh

Jafidler - we'll see. Hubris has not gone unpunished so far this year.

Sep 22, 07 11:13 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

true enough.

in some ways, as a michigan fan being humbled in the first two games wasn't the worst thing to happen to the fan base, but half the fun of college football is good-natured smack talk before the big game.

Sep 22, 07 11:18 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

bullshit...hubris is not punished, but today michigan state will be punished.

Sep 22, 07 11:45 am  · 
 · 
Janosh

This one is for Puddles:

Fortunately Michigan State's long history of meltdowns coupled with low expectations prevent me from experiencing the kind of disappointment and embarrassment that ND and UM fans are feeling.

Sep 22, 07 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Final Lines:

Pennsylvania State is 2 1/2 favorites over Michigan
MSU now only 10 point favorites over the Domers.

Sep 22, 07 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

Michigan proves it deserved it's rank as a top 10 team by defeating Penn State, which didn't score a single touchdown.

Michigan State allows Notre Dame it's first offensive touchdown to score 14 points thus far.

Lloyd Carr = God.

Discuss...

Sep 22, 07 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

given he was fielding a freshman qb, lloyd did enough to win, i.e. let hart pound it and leave it up to the defense to hold morelli. it wasn't a brilliant game plan, but it worked. i liked michigan's swarming defense early, but they need to stay aggressive for a whole game. luckily, the front four provided enough pressure to keep the psu passing game in check, but they basically stopped blitzing after the first quarter.

a win's a win though. i can't complain.

Sep 22, 07 7:17 pm  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03
Sep 22, 07 7:44 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: