Archinect
anchor

Late Night Thread

mdler

i had a cup of chocolate laxative tea for dessert!!!! I love fasting

Apr 5, 07 2:42 am  · 
 · 
bucku

i am working my ass off on physical models and drawings while other people are throwing these shatty little sketch up models together and importing them into maxwell render. CHEATERS...

Apr 5, 07 10:33 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

Any chance you can post pictures of the physical model? I haven't seen one in years. I always say, "this time I will do a physical model" but always opt for the 3d for various reasons.

On another note, during my last performance review, I did not get a raise nor a promotion. However, the principal told me I could do research during office hours on a topic of my choosing and I am free to go to seminars or events on the company as long as I don't have tight deadlines. I can not be happier since I have a research topic that I've been very interested in and I can see how it can benefit my understanding of architecture AND benefit the office in general. I could say perhaps contribute to the profession in a way, but my ego won't allow me. If I get anywhere with it, I'll share with the archinecters.

Apr 5, 07 10:52 pm  · 
 · 
bucku

i dont have a flickr account or anything, but when it is done i will definitely post it in the image gallery and link it here! its my first time doing a resin model, so i hope it turns out well. actually, this one is mine as well, its physical but photoshoped to death:

Apr 5, 07 11:12 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

Thats pretty cool stuff although I have no idea what I'm seeing. So.... what is it?

Apr 5, 07 11:25 pm  · 
 · 
bucku

it was an aquatic center. basically the pools were stacked vertically instead of a linear organization in order to see the action of swimming rather than the top of the swimmers heads. the seatng was situated below the pools. the skin was kind of stupid in hind sight. looking at the pic i dont really even like it any more. it could have been better done, i just got really infatuated with the ideas and did not give enough time to fenestration.

Apr 5, 07 11:33 pm  · 
 · 

okay bucku walks us through this please....

Apr 5, 07 11:45 pm  · 
 · 
bucku

um ok. the project was a steel competition. i stacked the pools vertically so that the seating was in between different layers of pools so that you obtained maximum view of pool at hand as well as voyeuristic views of other pools. this also served as a structural organization as each of the pools/seating areas was somewhat encapsulated by its own rib like structural system. i dont really know how else to explain everything without showing you the diagrams. hope this helped. thanks for inquiring tho, i guess.

Apr 5, 07 11:57 pm  · 
 · 
bucku

oh i suppose if you look at the pic, the scale is kind of thrown off as well but the building was approximately 110 feet tall.

Apr 5, 07 11:59 pm  · 
 · 

fabulous...you must of enjoyed drawing those sections

Apr 6, 07 2:37 am  · 
 · 
bucku

yes.

Apr 6, 07 3:05 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

trippy. Last time i presented an aquatic center i got one of the fluffiest crits of my life.

Apr 6, 07 3:33 am  · 
 · 
snooker

dancing with the thoughts of Truman Copote...did he or she influence
history as we know it more than Andy Warhol? Fricking...it is afterhours....just watched Peter Bogdonvic's Truman movie...

Apr 6, 07 10:46 pm  · 
 · 

i rather fancy a craven A and a pint of bottled guinness

Apr 6, 07 11:03 pm  · 
 · 

meh, once again I'm here for the start of the 'late-night' thread. I'm finishing up some work for class tomorrow morning. Last class of the semester, yay! Saturday morning class was an invention of the devil.

Apr 6, 07 11:09 pm  · 
 · 
bucku

saturday morning class? crazy, though i am here, in school and will be all weekend. perhaps considered an unorganized class period.

Apr 6, 07 11:39 pm  · 
 · 

awww. I'm flattered. Does that mean you can't manage to organize a Seattle meetup without me?

Well, this is a 'continuing education' class, which means they purposely don't schedule during normal class times for us working folk. But I vastly preferred it when I had a tuesday or wednesday evening class. This saturday morning shit blows, as it means that not only do I have to get up early, but I end up spending every friday night doing homework. Last one though! I've decided not to do summer session, so that I can better prepare for the move.

Apr 6, 07 11:57 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

To Do list for 2007:

Install breathalizer on Mac to prevent late night drunk posting.

Apr 8, 07 1:39 am  · 
 · 
alfrejas24

The only benifit of being sick is that you get to call into work. But if it's the weekend you get nothing. I hate being sick on the weekend. :(

Apr 8, 07 2:02 am  · 
 · 
Katze

WK - you crack me up!

Apr 8, 07 4:34 am  · 
 · 
bucku

i finally got to drink last night but was unable to hit up the drunk-posting on archienct. i was sad. at least i was thinking about posting. `

Apr 8, 07 10:14 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

what's got you down bucku? at least you are posting tonight, thats what counts...

Apr 8, 07 10:27 pm  · 
 · 
bucku

i feel like i should have been here posting instead of being out with my friends and family drinking and eating for my birthday. it is the damn archinect-conscience!

no i just really needed a night off from being here in the studio. two weeks till my final review tho.

Apr 8, 07 10:47 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

oh oh - sounds like you might need to enroll in the Archinects' Anonymous program – we meet up every Tuesday at the Garwondler Bar at 7PM :) tee hee.

Good luck on the final review…!!! Sounds like you need a deserved break.

Apr 8, 07 10:53 pm  · 
 · 

happy belated bucku, I was hoping you were going to be on that i could of wished you the best "live on the day" - nonetheless I hope you had a good one.

Apr 8, 07 11:14 pm  · 
 · 
bucku

thank you both! yeah i needed a break. i took one for saint patty's, but that was the last one. now it is back to my hard core caffeine intake and vitamin b overdosing!

Apr 8, 07 11:30 pm  · 
 · 

bucku, i'm glad you were still able to enjoy it. It gives a peace of mind when you are in the middle of the stressing - good luck

Apr 9, 07 1:44 am  · 
 · 
n_

tossing and turning,
have read two hundred pages.
still no sleep for me.

Apr 9, 07 2:24 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

cannot motivate
late nite CAD running now
archinect calls

Apr 9, 07 2:38 am  · 
 · 
n_

i am sole to blame.
i took a four hour nap.
go to sleep, body.

Apr 9, 07 2:59 am  · 
 · 
xtbl

oh man, i kind of miss those days!

Apr 9, 07 5:55 pm  · 
 · 

wakey wakey hand off snakey

Apr 9, 07 10:16 pm  · 
 · 
bucku

? i am so confused by this thread now. so i just added a video to the youtube video of the day. it is a short from the grindhouse movie called thanksgiving. that short was disturbing as hell but hilarious. i suggest caution in watching it.

Apr 9, 07 10:32 pm  · 
 · 
n_

fell asleep at three,
awoke at five forty five.
this day was worthless.

Apr 9, 07 10:46 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

bucku, apparently this has become the haiku thread... as for architechnophilia's post....

Apr 9, 07 10:58 pm  · 
 · 

someone has to awaken the late night gods with humour and appeture

Apr 9, 07 11:12 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

priest, rabbi, preacher
walk into a bar -- owner says
this should be funny

Apr 10, 07 12:56 am  · 
 · 

still awake,
another portfolio
remains unfinished

who will give me money now?

Apr 10, 07 1:00 am  · 
 · 
bucku

job interview tomorrow
good night late night thread
i am off to bed
i dont know how to haiku
i guess i could wiki it...
nope

Apr 10, 07 1:28 am  · 
 · 
silverlake

when in doubt bucku
all you do is search google
then copy and paste

Apr 10, 07 1:35 am  · 
 · 

copy and paste
wiki on the run
no html
umlaut y'self

Apr 10, 07 2:57 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Why the hell does my housing project bore the hell out of me? Have I been at this architecture gig too long, or does housing just suck in general?

I'm trying everything i can to make it interseting. Hell i even turned the facade into tetris.

Apr 10, 07 11:46 pm  · 
 · 

apurimac housing is beautiful.

We all live somewhere, so we are all experts | means that programmatically it should be effective or at least easy.

so that should allow you time to flourish, let your ideas dance. If all else fails look back, think about your concept see how what you have now differs and allow it to realign.

If all fails x2; post on archinect let us rip you a new one

Apr 10, 07 11:57 pm  · 
 · 

I find that the time when housing is least interesting is when there are fewest constraints. Add another layer of challenge to it: make it super-green, or try to provide the same amenities in 1/2 or 3/4 of the square feet.

Speaking of housing, anybody need a roomate?

Apr 10, 07 11:59 pm  · 
 · 
bucku

i like to blur the boundaries between programmatic elements to put certain things on display. kind of cliche, but it is fun to find new ways to do it.

Apr 11, 07 12:02 am  · 
 · 
bucku

im tired and i want to go to bed. five hours sleep isnt enough for a bloke like me. especially doing it consecutive nights...

Apr 11, 07 3:01 am  · 
 · 
magic_pie

I must have checked my email atleast 50 times in the last hour. Yeah, I probably have ADD

Apr 11, 07 3:48 am  · 
 · 
bucku

and it doesnt make any sense for me to keep checking mine because it is 4am and no one is going to be emailing me this early/late...

Apr 11, 07 4:06 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Its 5:50, but it feels late to me so whatever,

Thanks for the input guys. I think i've found an angle to work on concerning the structure. My prof. requested some more transperancy, garden space, etc. So now i've got alot of units over my "street wall" suspended off a huge diagrid/brace frame that's really opening/lighting things up and allowing for some cross-vent and play in pattern. I know it sounds crazy but i'm getting happier with it. It seems like a nightmare from a mechanical standpoint because all these units are kind of like their own enitites hanging off of this datum. Oh well, i've got a few weeks till review...

Apr 12, 07 5:57 am  · 
 · 
bucku

i would really like to see the finished hangers and datum. sounds interesting.
i just finished this stupid sketchup model of my design. its a good thing and actually really cool because it is the first time i inputted a whole design to do renderings. i usually do hand models and montage and photoshop the hell out of the models.

Apr 13, 07 1:13 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: