Archinect
anchor

Seattle roomate?

rationalist

hey, sorry for those of you tired of grad school discussion, but this one is only partially that.... I'm starting UW in the fall (woohoo!), and am trying to find a roomate and/or place to live long distance. I'll visit at the beginning of August if I must, but since archi-roomates seem to be working out well for others, I thought I'd give it a try.

About me: 23, female, will be studying graphic design. Am rather sloppy about my own space, but respectful of common areas. Minimalistic taste in furnishings. Enjoy a few drinks when the mood strikes, but allergic to cigarettes. Very responsible.

My criteria for roomates: must be reliable about the important stuff like rent and electrical bills. Must not drink the last of my whiskey, but are welcome to share it when I'm having. Should be respectful of personal space and property. Hopefully a good time and someone I could be friends with.

My criteria for a place to live: Near school. Cheap. Hardwood floors are a big plus but not a necessity.

Apr 10, 07 11:34 pm
WonderK

I'm definitely not moving to Seattle. But I like you. :-D

Apr 11, 07 12:05 am  · 
 · 
mdler

A FEW drinks...the girls a lush ;)

Apr 11, 07 12:18 am  · 
 · 

It's no fair to judge based on that... you guys didn't bother to turn up until I was two drinks in already!

Apr 11, 07 12:33 am  · 
 · 
garpike
and that was the reason I was raised on whiskey
Apr 11, 07 12:44 am  · 
 · 

well, I think it might be time to give up on this thread...

Apr 11, 07 12:52 am  · 
 · 
mdler

hey tumbleweed, you out there???

Apr 11, 07 1:03 am  · 
 · 

tumbleweed can have the apartment I'm vacating if she likes.

Apr 11, 07 1:35 am  · 
 · 
mdler

i think she has an apartment

Apr 11, 07 1:42 am  · 
 · 
mdler

i think she has an apartment

Apr 11, 07 1:42 am  · 
 · 
w3

rationalist - there is a very good chance that my wife and i will be at UW in the fall. we're not looking for another roomate at this point, but my sister does live in seattle and she is going to be helping us locate a place - in a good location. i'd be happy to pass on any information she gives us - she also may have contacts for possible roomates. feel free to send me an e-mail anytime if you'd like to chat in more detail about any of this.

Apr 11, 07 4:13 pm  · 
 · 

ah... I always forget how many grad students are married. Of course I wouldn't want to live with a married couple, that would be wierd (really, nobody's meant to know that much about anyone else's relationship). I'll let you know if I'm still having trouble finding things, but right now I'm thinking I'll stick to the U-District/Ravenna area.

Apr 11, 07 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
w3

lol - i'd also be open to fremont. there are some very cool spots there and you can hop on the trail below I-5 (bike/walk) and hit the U-Dist just below Gould Hall...so not too far from the Art building either.

did you look into the studios (graduate student housing - commadore dutchess i believe) across the street from gould hall? they're small but...they have hardwood floors. not the cheapest in town but the location is hard to beat.

Apr 11, 07 4:33 pm  · 
 · 

yeah, too expensive for me... But since I last posted I've been doing a looot of searching, and now think that the place to be would be somewhere in Fremont (good call!), Wallingford, or Green Lake. I've been reading that that's a great area for people who are over the whole frat-party scene, full of grad students and young professionals. And the houses posted on craigslist in those areas are super nice looking.

Anyone else have input on any of these neighborhoods? The thing I think that gives Fremont an advantage is that if I get a job downtown at any point, the commute would be pretty easy.

Apr 12, 07 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
w3

fremont and wallingford are our top 2. (although not as sure we'll be in seattle at this point :( let's be honest though...most of those neighborhoods have great locations w/ reasonable proximity to the UW. i'd be happy to live in any of those neighborhoods w/ the right price for rent - and from the searching i've done, they all have reasonable places scattered about. downtown ballard is cool as well - but is a little more out of the way.

Apr 12, 07 5:18 pm  · 
 · 

what happened to your Seattle plans? UW funding crapping out on you, or other?

Apr 12, 07 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
w3

it's all about funding right now. we haven't given up yet. we'd just be looking at a lot of loans if we came to seattle. you know how much architects make...and we still have some undergrad $$ we owe. so when it's all said and done we'd potentially be looking at a sum to pay back greater than my annual salary (people has seen worse i know...but we have the opportunity to avoid it so that's hard to pass up). i mean, in all honesty i'm willing to make it work...but i just don't know if it's worth it big picture when i could have a loan free situation elsewhere. right now we're just trying to figure out if the compromise in location is worth the savings long term - and unfortunately for my dreams of seattle - its beginning to look like it may be.

Apr 12, 07 5:31 pm  · 
 · 

That makes sense. For me, Seattle is the cheapest option (even schools in butt-fuck nowhere cost twice as much, and had fewer job opportunities to boot!), so I have no such dillemnas.

I posted a link in another thread to UW's page on TA/RA/Fellowship numbers, and was really shocked at how low they are for architecture. The program I'm going into gives everyone one quarter of TAship, which by itself is a better package than other schools offered me.

Apr 12, 07 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
w3

yeah - i found those stats myself a while back. depressing to say the least. they told us at the open house that they have a lot more money for kids entering their 2nd year...i think that there is a very good chance i could get something, maybe a lot - but obviously no guarantee. a reasonable risk to take? i just can't decide - even with a free 2nd year, it would still probably cost more - but the difference would probably be easy to swallow.

Apr 12, 07 5:58 pm  · 
 · 

I don't know. I'd try to get percentages and amounts out of them about the second year thing.... for instance, if it turns out that 80% get at least 2 quarters of research assistanceship with stipend in their second year, that's on thing. If 60% get a $2000 scholarship, that's an intirely different thing, though either could be characterized by admissions people as "Most people get some funding for their second year."

One thing that I considered doing was trying to defer acceptance, then moving to Seattle and working for a year to establish residency, which would reduce the cost of the first year dramatically.

Apr 12, 07 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
w3

yeah - i've done it all. i asked about percentages for the 2nd year. they look good, but they wouldn't give me specific stats. they revamped the awards this year so the amounts are bigger and the # of awards is smaller. i'd say a good thing, but that screws with any stats they could provide.
deferment is not an option. he (alex anderson) told me there was a very good chance i'd get in again, but he obviously couldn't guarantee anything, so I'm not going to bank on that. i'd seriously consider it though if it were an option. on the other hand after this whole ridiculous application process i'm full steam ahead ready for school - i don't know how i would cope mentally if i had to wait another year.

Apr 12, 07 6:14 pm  · 
 · 

: (

I hope it works out.

Apr 12, 07 6:31 pm  · 
 · 
w3

thanks a lot! i hope so too.
my worst case scenario though is that I'll move to Charleston this fall - not a bad 2nd choice I guess. then when i finish my M.Arch i'll have a little more financial freedom to go where i want...longer term. we will see very soon. i'm waiting on a clincher question from clemson - if the answer is a yes...we'll most likely be there in the fall. if no, then seattle will be the major player again i think. regardless i have to decide by monday!

Apr 12, 07 6:43 pm  · 
 · 
n_

w3, i did the charleston program with clemson. it was an extraordinary studio experience. they have great professors there.

still, i am sure a full experience seattle will knock the socks off of charleston/clemson.

Apr 12, 07 6:48 pm  · 
 · 

rationalist all this talk of moving to seattle sounds like fun, and i must say that I am jealous of your move | especially the parts about whiskey and hardwood floors. I like to travel with my flask filled of Glennfiddich...single malt

Apr 12, 07 6:58 pm  · 
 · 

you should come with! It's an awesome city....

Apr 12, 07 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
w3

n_ thanks - that's encouraging to hear. i've heard a lot of good things about clemsons professors in charleston. charleston was the main reason why i applied to the program. i'm waiting right now to find out if i can spend 2-semesters there and still graduate in 2-years. they haven't been very clear on that question. do you happen to know if that works - does anyone spend 2-semesters in a row there and still graduate on time?

Apr 12, 07 7:06 pm  · 
 · 
e

rationalist, i live in lower wallingford about three blocks from gasworks park. the bus that used to run a 1/2 block from our house [prior to construction on the fremont bridge] ran right through fremont and to downtown. could get you downtown in 20 minutes.

fyi, fremont can be a big frat scene on the weekends too. if you do decide to live there, i would avoid places near 36th. the street is filled with a number of bars, restaurants, and decent shops.

greenlake, well has greenlake by olmsted. lots of peeps walking around it on the weekend.

the center of wallingford is 45th. there lots of shops, a couple of theaters, grocery store and restaurants along it.

if you have more specific questions, let me know.

Apr 12, 07 7:09 pm  · 
 · 
n_

when i did the charleston program, we had 4 grad students. 3 graduated in two years and one did not (for health reasons, she took a year off). i don't know if things have changed in the last 3 years so i can't give you a 100% answer but i think you may be in the clear.

Apr 12, 07 8:43 pm  · 
 · 

Thanks e. It sounds like you live in a very desirable location.

If I were looking for a house rental there, how far in advance would you suggest I visit? I'm currently planning for about 4 to 6 weeks in advance of the move (visit for a few days at the beginning of August, move in mid-September). Does this seem like a good timetable, or should I come up earlier, or later? I'm hoping to visit for a few days, house-hunt, and plunk down a deposit on a room, to avoid all the good places being taken, or getting scammed over the internet by taking a place site-unseen.

I'm so looking forward to that week before classes start, when I have time to just bike around and see the whole northern section of the city, the parks, the trails, all that nature-y goodness.

Apr 12, 07 9:13 pm  · 
 · 
dogfish

if you plan on using public transportation, I'd look at the bus schedule.
some areas are not well served after 7pm, just a suggestion.

ballard, fremont, wallingford all good places, entertainment within walking distance.

good luck.

I would also contact the dept, they will fwd your email to other incoming students, good luck.

Apr 13, 07 12:15 am  · 
 · 

interviews over yet?

Apr 13, 07 1:15 am  · 
 · 
Katze

I can't stop laughing! Good one...:)

Apr 13, 07 1:16 am  · 
 · 

techno- nope. Still no viable candidates. You want a chance?

At this point, I'm thinking I'll just find a room in a house from craigslist. I don't really mind doing that, I just figured I'd give it a shot here first.

Apr 13, 07 1:21 am  · 
 · 

ohhhh. That is funny. My computer doesn't always load the pictures, so I didn't see that until after I posted.

Apr 13, 07 1:21 am  · 
 · 
Katze

Have you made contact with UW housing – they might offer options or they might have services to connect students looking for off-campus housing?

Apr 13, 07 2:36 am  · 
 · 

They just have a website that they sent me the address of, which you need a UW email address to get access to. So I can't get help from them until I'm registered, it looks like.

Apr 13, 07 10:49 am  · 
 · 
w3

rationalist - you can get your UW id set up right now. i called the computer services dept...and they gave me the password i needed to set up my account. i'm sorry i don't have the number on me here at work, but i got it from the financial aid office when i called about viewing my loan offer online. i'm obviously not commited to go there yet, so it definitely should not be a big deal for you either...

Apr 13, 07 11:01 am  · 
 · 

where the heck can you view your loan offer online?! I thought only undergrads were set up for that sort of stuff.

Apr 13, 07 11:02 am  · 
 · 
e

rationalist, when we moved to san francisco and then to seattle, our visit to look for housing was similar to what you are suggesting. for each trip, we can for 4-5 days. i would certainly try to line as many meetings up prior to arriving in august. best of luck to you, and if i hear of anything, i will pass it along.

Apr 13, 07 11:03 am  · 
 · 
w3

yeah i thought so too...call the # on this page and they will give you the private access code you'll need to get into your MYUW account.

Apr 13, 07 11:05 am  · 
 · 

sweet, thanks!

Apr 13, 07 11:09 am  · 
 · 

well, w3, I just don't have your luck. I called the computer services people, who told me to call graduate admissions, who said that an access code won't be generated for me until I send in my deposit. So I'm going to have to wait on that stuff.

Apr 13, 07 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
khmay

if you need a place to crash while finding a place we have lots of couches

Apr 14, 07 7:37 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Could you combine them to make a supercouch? Don't touch the lava!

Apr 14, 07 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
khmay

we actually own a supercouch (thanks ikea), makes all the others feel so inadequate -- maybe they'll join forces to make megafuton. a megafuton is inappropriate

Apr 14, 07 8:30 pm  · 
 · 

Who exactly is 'we' and where are you at?

Apr 15, 07 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
w3

rationalist - that's weird. I wonder why they just gave me mine...maybe i just got the right person. I'd try calling again and hope you get someone else who is willing to do it for you.

anyway, on another note: i will be attending UW in the fall! i'm very excited - it was a tough decision as i'll be taking on more debt to do so, but w/ all factors weighed in, cost didn't carry enough weight to trump what is such a good fit in Seattle. so, my wife and i will see you in seattle in September!

Apr 16, 07 12:24 pm  · 
 · 

I'm happy for you. Well, it's nice just to have a decision, either way, but I doubly approve of this one. ; )

Apr 16, 07 12:34 pm  · 
 · 

So I got an answer on my residency stuff. I plan on arriving in Seattle for good on September 18th. I'll be up to find somewhere to live from August 15th-18th.

Apr 16, 07 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
khmay

we as in my housemates and i, we're on the east side of queen anne overlooking lake union. we're always housing folks, just let me know

Apr 16, 07 11:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: