Archinect
anchor

Late Night Thread

hmm wine....gimme some; I have 3 bottles of South African wine waiting for me at home. I need to get back to my island

Mar 26, 07 11:58 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell
...women dress to out-do other women, not to look good for the guys.

Is it really women's responsibility to dress for guys? Maybe we dress for ourselves.

This statement irked me when I read it this morning, and I was just reminded of it when I read the Robert Venturi/Denise Scott Brown interview posted in the news section. The interviewer asks: Do you think that architects build for architects and developers build for the people?

I'm leaning more toward the sense that as architects, while we do need to meet our clients' needs, we also need to "dress for our fellow architects" in that we have a responsibility to lead our clients to solutions that exceed their needs and benefit the context (cultural and physical) beyond. We need to show them what is good.

Which really doesn't relate at all to what I wear. But blame my faulty logic and poor writing on cold medicine. Goodnight.

Mar 27, 07 12:04 am  · 
 · 
bucku

i just dont worry about dressing. i walk around the office naked. its very refreshing.

Mar 27, 07 12:14 am  · 
 · 
Philarch

Sorry LB, didn't mean to irk. Now that I read my post again I can see how you might think that I implied that women should dress to impress men. I guess I always assume when I post something, that everyone understands exactly where I'm coming from (personal views vs. perception of what I think is asked by society even if I disagree with it, etc). Thats a mistake on my part (that apparently can make me sound like a chauvanist pig).

The question you brought up from the interview is very interesting. Although for me the question has a slightly different meaning. To me it was more about how architects sometimes concentrate so much about architectural concepts and form-making that it only resonate with other architects. And even then, I sometimes question the priority of the needs of the client. What if the clients needs and wants have no relation to the needs and wants of the occupants and everyone else that is affected by it? And what if the architectural concepts and form-making have no benefit whatsoever to the clients, occupants and those affected? Add to that the factor of the impact on the environment. In a society where profitability has an inverse relationship to most societal/ethical/traditional values, what is the architect's role? To streamline and coordinate the complicated process in which we try to achieve the clients self-serving goals? So for me, architects should do less of designing for other architects and perhaps even clients. With all the advanced technology in designing, representing, and building, I want to know one thing that has really benefitted the public. Tell me one good thing all this new software that everyone is so eager to talk about (including me) has really done for our profession. No really, people, I need to get out of this cynical mode. Help

Mar 27, 07 2:01 am  · 
 · 
sheri25

12 AM and Im HUNGRYYYYYY, I can't sleep, and I don't have a JOB.
ewwwwwwww, I feel sick.
I don't know why it's so hard for me to go and look for a job, Im so borreeed w/ everything.

Mar 27, 07 3:21 am  · 
 · 
PerCorell

"Tell me one good thing all this new software that everyone is so eager to talk about (including me) has really done for our profession. No really, people, I need to get out of this cynical mode. Help"

To answer that question you have to look closer to "that software --- ask yourself to what degree it is just mimicing how things was done before and without the computer --- if you find that basicly it is exactly the same just re-written into fast code your question answer itself , as typical for our time the new technology is just used to support oldfasion methods and perception.

3D-H work completely different.

Mar 27, 07 4:13 am  · 
 · 
sheri25

I'M STILL UP

Mar 27, 07 5:31 am  · 
 · 
bucku

i have been waiting all day for this thread to become available...

woe is me and my pathetic archy-life...

Mar 28, 07 1:43 am  · 
 · 
garpike

Wow. This late night thread even has infomercials!

3D-H. Set it... and forget it.

Mar 28, 07 1:59 am  · 
 · 
garpike

3D-H work completely different.
Mar 28, 07 2:04 am  · 
 · 
silverlake

I really should get cable. In theory, if I don't have cable I'll watch less TV.

What happens is I spend more time adjusting rabbit ears...

Mar 28, 07 2:21 am  · 
 · 
garpike

I can't clear up my Channel 4. I miss The Office in clearvision.

Mar 28, 07 2:23 am  · 
 · 
silverlake

Yeah, I can't clear up 2. And some San Diego channel comes and goes... So frusterating...

Mar 28, 07 2:31 am  · 
 · 
garpike

Whoa! I forgot about 2.

Mar 28, 07 2:33 am  · 
 · 
garpike

Yeah, 2 is pretty unclear.

But Al Bundy on 11 is nice and crisp.

Mar 28, 07 2:34 am  · 
 · 
bucku

i dont know how i would live without FX. it is the only channel i watch now. i hate reality tv and most all other shows suck. "the shield" rocks my balls.

Mar 28, 07 3:17 am  · 
 · 
n_

yes, it's time ladies and gentleman. it's offically 9:58 cst.

i'm bummed out. i just purchased a plane ticket via american airlines last night to l.a. this morning, i checked my email, only to find out, that they are having a sale from my city to l.a. if i had only waited 9 more hours to book the flight, i could have saved about 120 dollars. sad face.

Mar 28, 07 10:58 pm  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

the chanel four news team in San Diego is amazing.

Mar 28, 07 11:17 pm  · 
 · 

Billy Mais he's such a celebrity

Mar 28, 07 11:23 pm  · 
 · 

my clock says 00:25 so I figured its about time to settle comfortably in the insomniac threads

Mar 28, 07 11:26 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

Only in LA do you have weathmen named Johnny Mountain and Dallas Rains.

Mar 28, 07 11:31 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

Oops, I posted a half hour early...

Mar 28, 07 11:32 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

Vindpust - you were doing well with that post until you mentioned 3D-H. You ever think people might take you seriously if you weren't mentioning 3D-H every time you post on any thread? At first I didn't take you seriously because I thought you were a computer program spouting out random words (still debating). Then I got past the language barrier and I still find the content of your words to be serving no other purpose than to advertise.

bucku - I might have to get cable just to watch "Always Sunny in Philadelphia" on FX. Can't get enough of that crazy show.

<sigh>...still in that cynical mode... and it is compounded by the fact that the queen of Archinect thinks me as a pig of the chauvanist variety.

Mar 29, 07 12:21 am  · 
 · 
bucku

"its always sunny" is pretty funny. i dont know but there is something about that channel..

i didnt know that there was a queen of archinect. who is that libertybell?

i went on my second job interview today. that was even more fun than the first. though i still hate wearing a suit..

Mar 29, 07 1:06 am  · 
 · 

crazy question

what do you call those things on "youtube"? You can't call them film - because we aren't watching them from film...bits wouldn't work because that covers too many sins. Ah well - any thoughts?

Mar 29, 07 1:51 am  · 
 · 
garpike

You don't turn up the volume, do you? What's wrong wit film?

Mar 29, 07 3:13 am  · 
 · 
mdler

clips?

Mar 29, 07 3:24 am  · 
 · 
garpike

what is it you are clipping?

Mar 29, 07 3:31 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

vids perhaps?

Mar 29, 07 4:57 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

lb-
i had a prof @ school that argued as architects, "dressing" for other architects was pretty much the primary goal (of architecture). beyond that, clients are nice, but can never really be educated - so it's best to only find clients willing to let you do whatever you deemed neccessary. architect as bully?

Mar 29, 07 5:12 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

No no no Philarch I don't think that about you - I just was reminded of that comment when I read the "architects work/dress for other architects" thing on the VSBA interview and thought I'd make an Arch-connection.

Perhaps this is just part of growing older, but I'm lately feeling more strongly - which means I'm feeling it at all, as I never felt this way in the past - that architects actually SHOULD be pushing our ideas, even above (but not at the expense of) client's needs. We SHOULD feel confident in our experiences and views, and we SHOULD be educating people to those ideas.

I mean for chrissake I've now spent 22 years constantly thinking about the interplay of form and function in our culture so YES I DO know more than you Mr/s. Client so just let me lead you where this project SHOULD go.

Of course doing residential work as I do that's slightly different. And I definitely don't think we should be bullies, holz! But I do think we should stand up for our principles.

No worries, Philarch. I know you are fighting the good fight. And sorry to post out of the resricted late night hours (it's 9:20am for me).

laterlaterlater...

Mar 29, 07 9:21 am  · 
 · 
snooker

I posted and it is 11:21 EST.....NIGHT...HOPE THERE ARE OTHER ENTRIES BY MORNING

Mar 29, 07 11:22 pm  · 
 · 

its that time of night again.

After reading lb's post I just imagined her b*tch slapping a client...that didn't see eye to eye with her. Are you wanted in your previous state for 'flicking bodily harm?

Mar 29, 07 11:40 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

After reading LB's post, I feel a little better. I'm was having a horrible week.

Still working on redlines, most likely over night. Granted I'm doing this because the CAD modeller broke his leg or something, so I shouldn't be the one complaining. I forsee a night full of drinking too much coffee and listening to the same music over and over because I have the El Cheapo version of the iPod. Ooh...I think I just remembered a bottle of Bailey's in the fridge... Irish coffee anyone?

Mar 29, 07 11:55 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

nothing wrong w/ "b*tch slapping a client"

that's the "education" my old boss was always talking about them needing, right?

Mar 29, 07 11:57 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Philarch, can you stream music while you CAD? While I endorse the idea of irish coffee, do be careful not to overdo the Bailey's! Good luck getting it done.

Mar 29, 07 11:57 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I've had an interesting night. Got to hang out with all the "movers and shakers" in Cincinnati (read: freak parade) and watch my friend NOT win a Vespa. Sucks but there were a bunch of other scooters there so I sized them up for my own purposes.

Also, I have a big weekend planned so I have to save up energy for it. Lots of brunch, partying, more brunch, then baseball season starts. Wooo.

None of this means that I'll get to bed any earlier of course. Going to bed earlier means somehow that I have to go to work sooner. It feels that way anyway.

Mar 30, 07 12:08 am  · 
 · 
binary

i just realized it is friday.....wtf..... where did this week go.... my life is soooo weird right now that it seems like i'm in a force field or something.....

maybe it's peanutbutter jelly time

b

Mar 30, 07 12:42 am  · 
 · 
Philarch

Thanks for the words of encouragement LB. I decided to play the radio instead (no streaming music allowed in office) and what a good idea. Jazz on Temple Radio.

Jazz and architecture do go very well. Even more so with too much Irish coffee.

Mar 30, 07 2:20 am  · 
 · 
SuperHeavy

4:17a here and i'm crashing. not a bad night though, finally moved past my 4 week designers block in studio and had a decent conversation about life/marriage/etc. with my studio podmate, provoked by my friend finally letting the cat out the bag to the general public on his proposing tomorrow night.

night kids, cya tomorrow.

Mar 30, 07 4:18 am  · 
 · 
bucku

i hate autocad...

Mar 31, 07 1:08 am  · 
 · 
Katze

katze was here...

sincerely, mdler copy cat

Mar 31, 07 1:09 am  · 
 · 
bucku

i think tagging should go more along the lines of...

bbbbb uu uu ccccc kk kk
bb bb uu uu ccccccc kk kk
bb bb uu uu cc kkkk
bbbbb uu uu cc kk kk
bb bb uu uu cc kk kk
bb bb uuuuu ccccccc kk kk
bbbbb uuu cccc kk kkk

Mar 31, 07 1:14 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

12:15 AM on a Friday night.... Doing laundry, just finished cleaning up the crap my ex-roommate left behind, and I've got Dave Chapelle on Comedy Central on in the background. Another day in the life of Living in Gin.

Archinect needs a live chat room for us insomniacs.

Mar 31, 07 1:15 am  · 
 · 
Katze

Hey good idea LIG! We should put in an archinet change request to add a chat room! :)

Mar 31, 07 1:25 am  · 
 · 
bucku

this isnt a chat room? you all arent sexy female coeds?

Mar 31, 07 1:25 am  · 
 · 
bucku

so i am multi-tasking and watching poseidon and doing cad. there was a line right after the ship was crushed by this wave turning it upside down.

"i am an architect, this ship wasnt meant to stay afloat upside down!?!"

do architects know this sort of thing?

Mar 31, 07 1:45 am  · 
 · 

just finished off my champagne (celebrating the University of Washington and how kind they've been to me) and launched a website for a non-profit organization.

Mar 31, 07 2:03 am  · 
 · 
Katze

congratulations rationalist. Cheers! What kind of non-profit are you sponsoring?

Mar 31, 07 2:12 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: