Archinect
anchor

College Football '07

med.

What a boring thread this has become...

Nov 9, 07 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

boring? only if you fancy that total domination by the best team is boring. so fuck you archmen, you have the chance to behold the greatness of the buckeyes but would rather disregard the opportunity with a flippant "i'm bored" excuse.

this kid has the right idea and is clearly smarter than most archinecters...

...even the ladies are impressed with his playcalling.

GO BUCKEYES!!!

Nov 9, 07 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

archmed's right. "college football '07" was once a paragon of insight and knowledge into college football and look what it has become - mindless insults thrown back and forth between wolverine and buckeye fans. we should all be ashamed for letting it come to this.

Nov 9, 07 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Puddles, you're dismissed.

The least you can do is TRY come up with a good insult or two.

And Jafinder. That IS what's I'm referring to. In the beginning of this thread it was nice just to see who supported what team and such. And now we have this nauseating "my team is better than your team so fuck you" mentality bandied by a slew of fair weathered most likely bandwagon fans of teams they supposedly follow.

Nov 9, 07 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

thanks for your vast knowledge on that last post elaquino, maybe you should be on sportscenter.

Nov 9, 07 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

it would be a disaster on many levels to have a rematch of oregon/michigan in the rose bowl. for one, michigan woud got bombed again by dixon and company. i think the rose bowl would do everything in their power to avoid that game. if osu loses the michigan game, i think it's far more likely that the ducks play lsu for the bcs championship. that would be a great game.

i don't understand the intricacies of the bcs well enough to hazard guesses on the other bowl games. i will say though that oklahoma is a complete mystery to me. they looked unstoppable up to the colorado game and since have looked good, but not top 5.

as for michigan, i'll take them to beat anyone, but the following teams in their bowl game...oregon, west virginia, florida, do you see a theme emerging?

Nov 9, 07 10:04 pm  · 
 · 
THEaquino

The reason I have Oklahoma in the NC game is that they don't play anyone of note (sorry Baylor) until the Big 12 Championship, will should be Kansas and I just don't see them losing to Kansas. And even though I pick the Jayhawks almost EVERY year in the Big Dance...Kansas football? But Kansas should still be ranked highly, thus boosting OU's stock. LSU still has Arkansas (Darren Mcfadden) and a very tough Georgia team in the SEC championship. With them living on the edge as of late, i see them losing one of those two.

Usually the BCS tries to keep the traditional matchups if they can, hence the pac-10/big-11 rose bowl.

Oregon's chances in the NC game rest on Ohio State/Michigan and LSU/Georgia. Even if OSU or LSU loses it will be an interesting debate between Oklahoma and Oregon. The fact that the Big 11 and Pac 10 don't have league championship games continue to hurt their chances to get the NC when they aren't #1. In fact it was Oregon that got jumped over and jobbed out of the NC in 2002 by Nebraska.

As an Oregon fan, I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop and for them to donkey it up somehow...

Mike Hart is WAY better than Tim Biakabutukua and we all remember how that turned out.

Nov 9, 07 10:35 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

further proof that theaquino and his brooding ilk of buckeye haters are not only on crack but are also terminally delusion: "usually the BCS tries to keep the traditional matchups if they can, hence the pac-10/big-11 rose bowl". have you even watched any of the recent rose bowls? or are you still trying to figure out why the big 10 isn't called the big 11? only two of the last six rose bowls have featured traditional matchups.

2002 - miami vs. nebraska
2003 - oklahoma vs. washington state
2004 - southern cal vs. michigan
2005 - texas vs. michigan
2006 - texas vs. southern cal
2007 - southern cal vs. michigan

in other words, the bcs doesn't have shit to do with traditional matchups...it does have a lot to do with showcasing the awesome power of football born & raised in central ohio.

oh, and biakabazookatuutu may have had a good game back in 1995 but in case you didn't notice eddie george won the heisman that year, just like troy smith did last year and beanie wells will be doing next year. in the next eight days the buckeyes will win two more games and wrap up another championship.

face it, the sun never sets on the tressel led buckeyes empire. GO BUCKEYES!!!

Nov 10, 07 9:00 am  · 
 · 
THEaquino

I hate to inform you but the 2002 and 2006 games were the national championship games, thus they weren't allowed to keep the tradtional matchups. In 2003 The Rose Bowl committee deparately wated Iowa to face Washington State thus preserving the tie ins but since the Orange Bowl had lost it's team (your Buckeyes) to the National Championship game (the Fiesta) they got first pick of the at large teams, Iowa. Thus The Grandaddy was forced to take Oklahoma. In 2005 only 1 Pac-10 team played in the BCS (which is bullshit because Texas jumped over Cal on the last poll because of Mack Brown) so they went with Texas-Michigan.

They can only choose from BCS eligible teams. and in the years when they could choose, they chose pac-10/big-11. there were 4 years when there wasn't that option.

Did Ohio State win last year? In football? In basketball? I can't remember.

You've been an Irish fan, You've been an USC fan, You've been an LSU fan and now You're an OSU fan. So where DO you go? or did you go to all of them? I respsect Eastcoast because at least that's his team.

11 isn't the same as 10, all the other conferences can count.

I'm done with you puddles.

Nov 10, 07 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Look at Wisky... 20-7 at the half. Looks like Michigan is looking to next weekend and doesn't give a rip what happens at Camp Randall.

Nov 10, 07 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

that was horrible. michigan had a real chance to win that game. they brought to within 2, and then fell apart on the last two drives. what the hell was that holding call, and why was Mallet running backwards? even after that second-to-the-last wisconsin touchdown, michigan had at least a small chance of getting a touchdown, and going for an onside kick. and who tries go "go for it" on the Wisconsin one yard line when its 4th and about 39? do you want to lose by one or two touchdowns?

Nov 10, 07 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

sorry i meant their own one yard line.

Nov 10, 07 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

does it really matter if its a lose by one or two touchdowns? i suppose it does in the bcs era. for the most part michigan played like they were asleep; it was a lousy game. at the same time, without henne and hart the outcome wasn't all that much of a surprise. with them in there, michigan likely wins. oh well, that's how the ball bounces. on to o state...

Nov 10, 07 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

OSU is also looking vulnerable against the Zooks. Is there a team in college football worse that ND?

Nov 10, 07 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

oh the horror! ohio state looses to illinois 28-21

:'(

Nov 10, 07 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Go buckeyes. Illinois wins the big ten title?

Nov 10, 07 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

i think today it's finally been proven that there is no truly elite team in college football this year. kansas and hawaii are still undefeated, but both of those teams would get slaughtered by most any team in the top ten.

at this point, i just can't wait to get to the bowl season. it's longer about who's the best team. there isn't one. in this season of mediocre team play, it's now about what this season has always been about - which conference is superior. fitting, if not a bit disappointing.

Nov 10, 07 11:56 pm  · 
 · 
boxy

if oregon wins the rest of their games they deserve a shot at the bcs championship. for some reason people tend to ignore the fact that the pac ten is by far the strongest conference.

Nov 11, 07 12:05 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

it's already theirs, bo. barring a huge upset it will be ou v. lsu or oklahoma for the championship.

how you can claim the pac ten is "by far" the strongest conference is a mystery to me, but that's why i'm saying the whole bowl season is now purely about conference superiority.

Nov 11, 07 12:11 am  · 
 · 
THEaquino

For my ducks to make it to the NC, LSU has to lose because OU won't. OU will jump Oregon when they beat Kansas (due to Kansas being @#4, soon to be 3 in the BCS) in the Big 12 Championship game. The same thing happened to Oregon when Nebraska jumped over them in 2002.

I think Oregon gets the winner of Ohio State/Michigan in the Rose Bowl.

I wouldn't go so far to say the PAC-10 is BY FAR the strongest conference. There are a lot of bad out of conferences losses (Utah, Notre Dame) by the pac-10, but there are also some good wins (Tennessee, Michigan). Jafidler is right, I'm excited to see how bowl season shakes out.

The bowl season is ALWAYS about conference bragging rights.

Nov 11, 07 2:14 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

a playoff of 16 teams could easily be set up and the lame ass bowl games could all still be played. in fact when your favorite team loses in the playoff they can still go play in the "fill in the blank" bowl.

Nov 11, 07 9:17 am  · 
 · 
Janosh

A playoff would certainly please the statisticians who have been telling us for nearly a decade that the BCS was a farce, but it wouldn't make my life any better. I personally like the controversies, the split championships and the arguments between rival conferences - it was even better before the BCS came around. In the fifties, I believe that there were at least three bodies that gave out national championships. That must have been awesome.

A playoff would make football more professional and organized and fair, but in the worst possible way. This is a sport after all, and not a profession or a pastime for accountants the way baseball has become. I must resort to the rhetoric of the slippery slope: first there is a 16 team playoff, and the conference championship games are cancelled to open up the required extra week. Later, the NCAA rules that every field has to be enclosed and surfaced with artificial turf to eliminate variety and weather conditions that could favor one team. Then rivalry games are branded - Iowa and Iowa State play for the Monsanto Cy-Hawk trophy. Soon, all games are all played only in major markets - Rutgers relocates to Giant Stadium. Office pools form and a College Football fantasy draft is held in the middle fo the night three days after recruit commitments are due. Boise State plays their home games at Invesco Field in Denver. Trick plays are banned because deception is deemed unsportsmanlike. Footballs are only used for one play and then sold off as souvenirs. Finally, a massive lobbying effort from NCARB and Prometric results in the elimination of human referees and all scoring is done by computer - game results are mailed to interested parties within 4-6 weeks of kickoff.

Nov 11, 07 9:27 pm  · 
 · 
THEaquino

here here Janosh! Right on....the quirkiness about the system is one of the things that makes college footbal great. Notice there isn't an NFL thread? College football by its very nature isn't fair. What other sport do 21-22 year old MEN get to play on the same field as 17-18 year old BOYS? You never get to see a matchup as lopsided as LSU-La Tech or Ohio State-Akron or App. State-Michigan in the pros. That's also what makes those wins better. If the Dolphins had beaten the Pats (or anyone) is it as big of a story as App. State? If the Dolphins go 1-15, is it bigger than Notre Dame going 1-11?

Maybe I just like to bitch and moan, but I loved the split national championships, the teams getting shafted for bowl payouts and the conference rivalries.

Get rid of the BCS and go back to teams really running up scores to impress the voters.

Nov 12, 07 12:05 am  · 
 · 
THEaquino

Imagine how much more boring baseball would be if they all had the same stadiums?

Nov 12, 07 12:08 am  · 
 · 
med.

I think Oregon vs. West Virginia would be badass. Spread vs. Spread...

Nov 12, 07 8:32 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

you're not a big fan of defense, are you, archmed? i'm much more excited about glenn dorsey v. dennis dixon; lsu d v. oregon o.

i will admit i like that aspect of the bcs - that you can simply pair the perceived two best teams up for a final blow-out. as janosh said, the drama over the jilted third team ain't bad either. it's not like a playoff would produce a definitive best team either. to truly be "fair," you'd have to start playing series like they do in baseball and basketball, but the physical demands of football obviously would never allow that. i'm more of a traditionalist who would like to see it revert back to the old bowl system, but i'll admit the current bcs system ain't bad either.

Nov 12, 07 8:50 am  · 
 · 
med.

Well, I'm a huge fan of WVU. And they use the spread offense but run the ball a lot more than they pass. As for the D, it has improved tremendously since last year but a phenomenal QB like Brian Brohm would and did have a heyday against the sometimes clumsy secondary. So would any other QB. Oregon also used the spread offense, but passes far more than they rush.

Don't get me wrong, I like LSU and I think they're exciting to watch but as a fan of the other team, I would like to see this match up. But I have also wanted to see a matchup between WVU and LSU too. I'm sure LSU is the better team, but anything can happen as observed this year.

Nov 12, 07 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
THEaquino

Archmed...you should ask Washington (465 yards on the ground) before you say Oregon passes more than they run. Oregon, like WVU has more rushing yards than passing yards, although WVU's differential is much higher.

Not hating, just saying.

Nov 12, 07 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

oh...and the merry-go-round continues...

geaux tigers!!!

too much time spent in columbus was beginning to make my brain ache...but there are worse things than heading back to baton rouge...

Nov 12, 07 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

well that's disappointing...that was a really nice picture, the link should still work though

Nov 12, 07 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

Puddles I don't want you pulling for LSU. Go find some other team to jinx (again)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nov 12, 07 8:39 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

puddles, your golden domers sure layed an egg this year. they've lost to two service academies. you're lucky as hell they don't play army and the marines don't field a football squad.

Nov 12, 07 10:45 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

myriam, i wish i could stay away...but those tiger tailgates are just too much fun

ole miss & arkansas better watch out!

Nov 13, 07 7:41 am  · 
 · 
med.

Why don't you just support your own team and worry about them instead of jumping on other teams bandwagons.

Nov 13, 07 8:54 am  · 
 · 
med.

Notre Dame's collapse has been a work in the making for many years to come. From undeserved BCS appearances, to the tumultuous coaching changes, to the irrationally high preseason rankings, to their now 9-year bowl skid, to their incessant pollution of the airwaves (I've never seen so much hype about a 1-9 team). It all adds up for the dismal state of Notre Dame football.

But don't be disappointed. Just know that when next year's preseason rankings come out, you will be #3 -- that is until you lose to one of the service academies, Multi-Directional Michigan, or Duke.

Nov 13, 07 9:07 am  · 
 · 
marimbaONE

So LSU prevented the VOLS from going to another National Championship in the 2001 SEC Championship. My prediction is that UT returns the favor this year.

Nov 13, 07 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

what happened to the ducks last night (other than a devastating injury to dennis dixon)? too bad, lsu-oregon would have been a fun championship game.

i realized wednesday that the michigan-o state game falls in the middle of my saarinen symposium on saturday, right when we will be touring the gm tech center. i'm royally bummed, but believe it or not, architecture trumps even college football for my attention.

Nov 16, 07 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
THEaquino

If Dixon's leg doesn't bend in half the Ducks win going away.

We're lucky if we make the Holiday Bowl. Most Oregon fans have never liked Brady Leaf. As my friend put it when he came in "I hope he doesn't just stand back there get sacked and fumble it all the time like he always does." Truer words have never been spoken.

The thing that most of you don't understand is that this is par for the course for Oregon sports. Tease you then break your heart. It happened against BYU, Cal, Stanford, Oregon State and now Arizona in football, Florida, Kansas and Seton Hall in the tourney.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

Go Ducks!

Nov 16, 07 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

brady quinn + ryan leaf = brady leaf; the sum is less than its parts.

funny injury, in that it killed dixon's heisman chances while simultaneously proving that his talent almost single-handedly lead to his team's dominance.

Nov 16, 07 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i know you're all hoping for it, but no upset today. battering ram hester is going to pound the daylights out of ole miss!

and if anyone would like to get ma a christmas present, i could use one of these tents...it'll be perfect for hosting my next tiger tailgate party...oh yeah!

Geaux Tigers!!! oh yeah!

Nov 17, 07 9:13 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

ha ha...the big ten is soo bad this year that some of you would rather hang out at the gm tech center than watch your "big game"

typical, just more proof that the sec rules college football.

Nov 17, 07 9:16 am  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

looks like Michigan still SUCKS

Go BUCKS!

Nov 17, 07 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

the gm tech center was awesome, a beautiful collection of buildings, where no contact with the outside world is permitted. (tod williams was there.)

now seeing the score, i'm glad i was tucked away from the rest of the (un)civilized world.

Nov 17, 07 7:06 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

the gm tech center was awesome, a beautiful collection of buildings where no contact with the outside world is permitted. (tod williams was there.)

now seeing the score, i'm glad i was tucked away from the rest of the (un)civilized world.

Nov 17, 07 7:13 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

with oklahoma getting crushed by texas tech, i'm making my prediction for the national championship...

KANSAS V. WEST VIRGINIA, BABY!

can't wait for that one.

Nov 17, 07 9:40 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Fairness (if not common sense) says that Hawaii and Kansas must now play for the National Championship. I'm not sure if even I would watch that game, but I do think that this BCS bullshittery becomes pretty silly when the only two unbeaten teams don't get to play one another.

In other news: both the BigTen and SEC have 10 bowl eligible teams.

Michigan fans: Wipe away the tears, 8-4 isn't that bad. Ask the folks in South Bend.

Nov 18, 07 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

Actually, I would love to watch a hawaii bcs championship game...the old rainbow warriors have rather quietly been one of my most favorite teams to watch for the past 6-7 years.

And I know that I've been all over the map this year...but I'm pretty sure that lsu is the shit!!!

and jafidleer should be banned from this thread for even daring to mentio the gm tach center I lieu of college football. I'm pretty sure that glenn dorsey would crush todd williams!...fuckin' architects...

Nov 18, 07 8:11 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

Oh...and spaeaking of fairness, perhaps I should mention that I'm posting this from my balckberry while enjoyimg a peaceful sunday night cocktail beachside of the caribbean sea at caap juluca. Yes, this place is that nice...and yes college football is that important that I'm willing to check in even when I'm hanging in paradise.

Nov 18, 07 8:17 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

le bossman can officially rejoice - lloyd carr is stepping down from the head coaching job at michigan. i think it's a sad day. funny thing - in recent years, i've grown to learn that winning is not everything in college football, and while carr gave the program a significant number of wins and many fond memories of the team's triumphs on the field, it was the work that he did off the field both with the team and with the ann arbor community that will make him a legend at michigan.

Nov 18, 07 10:58 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

It's time for Michigan to find an alumnus familiar with the workings of the school to replace Carr. Someone with a passion and personality to keep the spotlight on Ann Arbor. Maybe someone who had a strong relationship with Bo. Someone who has proven that they can turn a program around...

Nov 18, 07 11:07 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: