Archinect
anchor

College Football '07

whitllam

Wow, that's EXACTLY what my bedroom looks like...except that the photo is missing the big Ohio flag hanging on the wall, the helmet on the night stand, and the Lloyd Carr voodoo doll laying on the floor.

Dec 2, 07 5:46 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

turn down that osu bedding. at least for hoops as butler (go DAWGS!!!) scorched the buckeyes lastnight.

Dec 2, 07 7:57 am  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

nothing worse than jafidler hating on the championship team. don't get mad at us because your team couldn't make it. that's just low.

Dec 2, 07 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
JOM

What is the point of Hawaii even playing?
Why are they Division 1-A if they can never play for a national championship? I love college football but I truly hate it this time of year. How many losses does every team have to have in order to put Hawaii on the same level as everyone else?
Sorry for the ranting the BCS just really pisses me off.

Dec 2, 07 5:28 pm  · 
 · 

But Janosh, you know that when (not if, just when) UCLA sacks Dorrell, critics will cry "foul," saying that black coaches aren't given enough of a chance. Like it or not, they've got to be very careful how they treat him to avoid that angle of criticism.

Dec 2, 07 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

O-H-I-O!!!!!!

Dec 2, 07 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

wow...so rationalist is a rascist?...typical trojan.

and guess who is back on top...oh yes, the buckeyes.

fear the sweater vest...it's redemption time.

Dec 2, 07 9:20 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

look at all the bandwagon buckeye fans coming out of the woodwork. where were you for theaquino's rise and fall of the ducks, the eastcoast/ether grudge match, or puddles weekly flip flopping?

typical buckeye fans coming late to the party.

Dec 2, 07 9:39 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

African American or no, Dorrell is not the caliber of coach that UCLA needs to compete in Southern California. He is also not totally awful, and has definitely cleaned up a filthy program. SC fans should note that this is what inevitably happens when the compliance portion of the athletic department gets, um, lax. Maybe an interim solution would be getting rid of OC Norvell, whose crappy play calling was preceded by an illustrious career doing the same thing for Nebraska.

Buckeyes totally deserve to be at least participating in an 8 team playoff. Championship game? Dunno. As everyone is saying, they've backed into it. As successful as not playing football has been for them, it will difficult for them to win the National Championship without actually showing up and facing LSU. I suspect that game will not be close. Another Florida debacle, where a quick SEC team humiliates the lumbering Big10 behemoth?

Jafidler: you should cut the Buckeye faithful some slack - they can be excused for disappearing for a few weeks after remarkably deep Thanksgiving discounts at the Tuttle and Easton malls. Columbus - it's no Toledo.

Dec 3, 07 12:06 am  · 
 · 

puddles, I am definitely NOT a racist, I am just honest that this is a touchy topic in hiring (and therefor firing) right now. I agree that he should be fired, but they've got to be careful about it and be sure they can't be said to have not given him a fair chance.

Dec 3, 07 1:08 am  · 
 · 

oh, and in happier news, I've won my (formerly local) college football pick'em again!

Dec 3, 07 1:09 am  · 
 · 
ether

I thought that guy got kicked out of architecture school or couldn't hack it... but I'm not one to judge. What's he doing on an architect website talking smack about football? I'm surprised he even knows the difference between a football and a sopository.

Dec 3, 07 8:58 am  · 
 · 
ether

Otherwise he might know what to do with this.

Dec 3, 07 9:04 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

in another great irony of the bowl season, ohio state getting to the championship game screwed the big ten as a conference in head-to-head play with the other conferences. as it stands i see ohio state losing by a touchdown to lsu. illinois getting blown out by the trojans. michigan getting trashed by florida. and michigan state getting tanked by boston college. (though i do see wins for wisconsin against tennessee; penn state over texas a&m; and purdue over central michigan).

if ohio state does not get to the championship, they get a more winnable game against the trojans. illinois gets a better match-up against florida, michigan gets a better match-up against bc, and msu has a better chance against oklahoma state than indiana does.

big ten record w/ osu in the championship game: 3-5

big ten record w/o osu in the championship game: 6-2

thanks, buckeyes. now go out there and get your tail whipped by lsu like you did last year against florida.

Dec 3, 07 9:44 am  · 
 · 
THEaquino

thanks jafidler, but it was more a *snap* of my ducks. The Civil War was a snap shot into the life of a Ducks fan. This is how is goes ALL the time (except for the Fiesta bowl and the Big House). We stave off defeat just long enough for us to donkey it up. All season Oregon fans were waiting for the other shoe to drop, little did we know we were waiting for Dixon's other ligament to pop.

This was the best college football season I can remember. This is what i love the it, the passion. If there were a playoff, no one would care about Hawaii, or South Florida, or Missouri, or UConn, or even my Ducks. I LOVE the aruguing and politicing. If there were a playoff, it would be the NFL. They are already trying to change the "Worlds Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party"...lame and sanitized for your consumption.

And EVERYONE knows that Miles has a meeting in Ann Arbor this week. I wouldn't doubt that the LSU negotiations and UM noegotiation as going on at the same time. It's a very fluid situation and at the time Herbstreit got his information, I'm sure someone at Michigan thought he was coming. I'm also pretty sure Kirk asked "can I go with this?" as all reporters do when they get inside info. I would also think he'd have more jounalistic integrity than to let the fact that he's a Buckeye impact that. Do you think he likes having a job on ESPN or likes being a Buckeye more?

Winners: LSU, VA Tech, Georgia, Oklahoma, USC

and to quote puddles "Geaux Tigers!"

Dec 3, 07 9:53 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

i'm not saying herbstreit intentionally sabotaged michigan. i do think he's above that, or at least cares more about his job than that, but there's definitely going to be that perception for michigan fans and that will severely tarnish his reputation. i really couldn't listen to a thing he said the rest of the weekend. that's going to hang over him for a long time, and i do think espn needs to do something to distance themselves from the situation or their credibility will take a hit as well. it was plain terrible journalism.

there's as little chance miles would take the job as michigan would offer it after his outburst before the sec championship game. he can forget coaching michigan ever again if he really ever did want to. i'm hoping that this episode will help open up michigan's search and make them consider all candidates, not just "michigan men."

Dec 3, 07 10:08 am  · 
 · 
****melt

JaFidler - I'm an OSU alum so I think I'm allowed to cheer for my own team. Admittedly I didn't watch any of the games this season, but after my father and brother got me to check the BCS polls last evening I felt it was my duty to chime in.

Janosh - Don't forget Polaris Mall either when it comes to the big Thanksgiving sales.

The only sad thing is I have a fear the game is going to have the same outcome as last year. OSU's long break does them a great disservice in the championship games. :-( Damn I can't believe I just said that.

Dec 3, 07 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

tuna, they are welcome to schedule themselves differently if they don't want such a long break.

also, UM confirmed today that Miles don't want 'em. geaux tigers!

Dec 3, 07 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22263565/
Dec 14, 07 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

if that happens, ryan mallett better start looking to transfer. it would certainly help michigan freshen up their offense, but it's a complete 180 from carr. it would likely take 3-4 years for rodriguez to get his players in before michigan starts to play like a rodriguez team. might not be a pretty sight in the meantime.

Dec 14, 07 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

ryan mallet is still young though. he can be brainwashed.

Dec 14, 07 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

he can be brainwashed, but you can't get the tall, gangly kid a new set of legs to run on. he's no pat white.

Dec 14, 07 6:53 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Michigan needs to piss off.

RR stays.

Dec 15, 07 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

As the article points out, it was only last year that Rodriguez dissed 'Bama, reportedly after his wife veto'd the move. Others have suggested that he never had any intention of leaving, but was using 'Bama for leverage to get better compensation for his assistants. With incentives, Rodriguez's current salary is about $1.8 million - $400K more than Lloyd Carr's. The Free Press is suggesting that preliminary talks have Meechigan offering $2m - essentially the same package he declined last year from 'Bama.

Dec 15, 07 8:32 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

well, "eerhole" from the wv football blog site says RR ain't goin', and what eerhole says, jafidler believes.

i love it that some guy called "eerhole" is likely a more reliable reporter than kirk herbstreit.

Dec 15, 07 9:18 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Jeez jafidler... eerhole more reliable than Herbstreit? Not so fast my friend. Remember, these are sports "journalists"!

Dec 15, 07 11:41 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

And now this!:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3157227

Dec 16, 07 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

yup, it's official. i've been following it on the fan sites. need to pry myself away and enjoy a snowy sunday afternoon. but i'm definitely stoked about rr. a new era for meeechigan.

Dec 16, 07 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
med.

God fucking damn, Michigan.

Sorry, this is all the venting I will do.

Dec 16, 07 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

November 2008: After suffering their second loss of the season under new Coach Rich Rodriguez, UM football boosters call for his ouster.

On the bright side, WV football shouldn't have to endure uncertainty for very long, as the end of the bowl season should free up a number of good candidates.

Dec 16, 07 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Yeah, I hope you Michigan fans will understand one thing: Rich Rodriguez doesn't care about you, your tradition, your players or anything. He cares about him and only him. Plus, he just won't work out for you sorry to say.

Dec 16, 07 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

you guys and your wishful thinking

Dec 16, 07 10:04 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Bossman, you just have to believe. Sometimes miracles do happen.

Dec 17, 07 2:35 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

i didn't realize michigan statistically beat app state. i thought they just got crushed by armanti edwards. that's what the espn highlights would lead you to believe. thanks for sharing, janosh.

Dec 17, 07 7:59 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

janosh, you are not appalachian state. you are michigan state, and you lost to the team that lost to appalachian state.

Dec 17, 07 10:31 am  · 
 · 
Janosh

Shows how little you know about Michigan State football. Using an alternate accounting method, MSU fans add UM losses to MSU wins.

Dec 17, 07 10:42 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

no, i knew that.

Dec 17, 07 10:55 am  · 
 · 
Janosh

This debate has happened before, and it inevitably goes like this. You continue to point out the supremacy of Michigan's football program. I point out that MSU's basketball program is perennially top-ranked, and Michigans has sucked ever since they cut the payroll for atheletes. You point out Michigan's academic superiority. I remind you that the coeds at Michigan State are superior. You say something about me working for you some time. I say "what do you know about farming?" And so on.

With that over, what the hell is Ryan Mallet going to do in the spread option? Can he move to strong safety?

Dec 17, 07 11:11 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

naw, janosh, michigan fans have stopped caring enough about our little brother to continue that debate.

methinks, michigan pulls in terrelle pryor, and we go with the two-quarterback offense, a la leak and tebow, before we kick in the full spread attack.

Dec 17, 07 11:16 am  · 
 · 
John Cline

speaking of tebow.. does anyone care about the heisman anymore? i remember being much more into it as a kid than I am now... the last significant heisman memory i have is when detmer won in '90.

Dec 17, 07 11:35 am  · 
 · 
Janosh

Still don't think Mallet fits - Leak and Tebow are both quick on their feet. It's pretty hard to do a run dominated spread option without a mobile quarterback. Pryor is a freak and if he comes to Michigan everyone else in the Big10 is in trouble. Pryor also famously declared himself the greatest football prospect in the country - by all indications he will fit in well at Michigan.

I pretty much don't care about the Heisman - it's not really about who is the best player so much as who is the best offensive player who happens to be on a team competing for the national championship. And folks like Charlie Ward have long ago taught us that it doesn't represent how good a player is for any longer than the year that is under consideration for the award.

Dec 17, 07 10:23 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

leak was more of a conventional drop back passer or that's where his strengths were. i'm not sure he could run that much better than mallett. tebow was the option guy. kinda like flynn and perriloux at lsu. but the more i think about it the less i think a two quarterback system is a good thing. mallett's an amazing talent, but i think his skills would be wasted in rr's system. it's a shame for him; he got really unlucky with the coaching hire.

i'm hoping rr puts the full press on pryor. he's the perfect player for his system and wants to start as a freshman. a good transition for both player and coach. and it would keep him away from the buckeyes, perhaps more critical than having him at michigan.

Dec 18, 07 9:09 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

lame discussion, everybody knows that this is the future...

...running away with the next heisman. beanie wells is a man playing a boys game.

go buckeyes!!! still #1 and that's something for all wolverineenies to suck on

Dec 18, 07 10:26 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

GO BLUE!!!!!!!!!

Jan 1, 08 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jan 1, 08 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

we gotta wait til january 7th for osu/lsu?

the HELL?

Jan 1, 08 7:37 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Gotta hand it to Mallett - as much as I would like to have seen Michigan fall flat on its face on Hart's two fumbles, the Wolverines played a great and disciplined game in the face of a lot of emotion.

Now looking forward to the UGA-Hawaii game. This is the last chance anyone has to right the fortunes of the Old Europe of College Football.

Jan 1, 08 8:04 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

wow, janosh, you already forgot chad henne after just 4 hours;)

Jan 1, 08 9:12 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Ha! Yeah. I'm not one to dwell in the past. Alcohol may also have been a contributing factor. But truth be told both are mostly symptomatic my having to sit through another MSU collapse on Friday, which has left me a little off of my game.

Anyway... things look good for this coming September, and MSU will once again will not have to play the Zooks. Also can't wait to see Rodriguez in action - the legal stories about Michigan's football program alone (ADA at the Big House, RR's $4M lawsuit) should help me survive the baseball season.

Jan 1, 08 9:31 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

msu played a good game. too bad the turnovers killed 'em. i think things will get more interesting in michigan with d'antonio at the helm.

despite the not-ready-for-prime-time fighting zookers loss, if o state can beat lsu, the big ten will have had a respectable bowl season (not that i'm rooting for them or anything).

here, here, for the ada, keep luxury boxes (and brick pilasters) out of the big house...

Jan 1, 08 9:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: