Archinect
anchor

Aggregate Seattle

no, but I am hitting up the [http://www.sagmeister.com/]Stefan Sagmeister[/url] lecture on thursday. Sold out already, but fortunately I got my ticket a couple of weeks ago.

Mar 3, 08 9:20 am  · 
 · 

it's early in the morning....

Stefan Sagmeister

Mar 3, 08 9:23 am  · 
 · 

wait. shite. that's tomorrow night, not thursday! Hope I have time for that...

Mar 3, 08 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

anyone catch the JVA lecture? very interesting work, awful awful place to see it in...

4/4 - Josiah McElheny @ Kane Hall rm 120 (via Henry), 7.30 - presale

4/10 - vincent james @ SPL, 6.30 - presale

through 4/18 - john grade's seeps of winter @ suyama space

5/31 - wing luke grand opening (OSKA)

also upcoming through space.city is marlon blackwell.

Mar 15, 08 11:33 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

also, in the stranger was a write-up of the honor award-winning QA house by Pb Elemental

most ridiculous quote:
"My father calls it an abortion clinic."

it's worth a quick read. unfortunately, outside of the architect there's not really anyone in the neighborhood they bothered to interview that finds it interesting or of note.

also interestingly, possibly due to similar-type comments by the neighbor, the sterling residence is for sale, or was, for about $1.8 million

are these house numbers legal?
didn't seattle changed it to 6" numbers this year...

Mar 16, 08 12:02 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

um, 2441 queen anne ave (@ mcgraw)

it's on the north slope, past el diablo. going north, it's on the left, can't effing miss it.

Mar 16, 08 2:34 am  · 
 · 
e

yeah, you def won't miss that house. i'd love to redesign the pb web site.

that john grade piece is pretty interesting. i saw it at the 10 year anniversary party for suyama space.

Mar 24, 08 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

e
are you still contracting websites out or doing it in house?

upcoming events

aia seattle's what makes it green wieners

nothing overly exciting from a region that's supposed to have one of the better usgbc's (cascadia) blah... actually, i'll take that back, i'm somewhat intrigued by patano hafermann's submission but am confused why you'd put a wooden rainscreen over CMU walls.

4/10 - VJAA, 6.30 PM @ SPL

4/10 - Brian Tolle, 7 PM @ henry auditorium

4/11 - Juhani Pallasmaa w/ Glenn Murcutt, 6:30 PM Architecture Hall 147 - again, i will reiterate this so those at UW can whine to those in charge: get a bigger effing room. callison's sponsoring the lecture, your school is subsidized by lackeys like us. it's for the betterment of the community, i promise. UVA uses Old Cabell Hall Auditorium, seating almost thrice as many, for a city with 1/20 the architects. seriously, i'm this close -><- to convincing bosses not to hire UW grads anymore. seriously.

4/18 - Juhani Pallasmaa, 6:30 PM Architecture Hall 147 (ditto above)

5/6 - marlon blackwell, 6:30 PM @ SPL (tix on sale now)

5/31 - OSKA's wing luke asian museum grand opening.

6/19 to 9/21 - SAM's Inspiring Impressionism: The Impressionists and the Art of the Past (tix on sale now)

also, i just found out about this...

microsoft's last thursday art collection tours, free.

Apr 10, 08 3:59 am  · 
 · 
e

Hi holz

We have always done the design of our websites in-house. We currently hire and partner with programmers that are best suited for the project needs. We have three sites in the works right now.

We are designing a site for Tom Kundig's Eleven Eleven East Pike project. It should launch in a month or so. We are redesigning Bjarko Serra's site set to launch in a few weeks. We are just starting a site for Tom Kundig's Rolling Huts client The huts are out in Mazama. Gorgeous part of the state. We are trying to coordinate a photo shoot over the next couple of weeks. The purpose of the site will be to show off the huts and the Methow Valley for people who would like to rent them.

Why do you ask? Do you need a site?

Apr 10, 08 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

potentially, i think it will be a while before that becomes a priority, though.

Apr 10, 08 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
e

Cool. Keep us in mind. We'd love to help out.

Apr 10, 08 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
Luke.Kakizaki

/Users/soh1889/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Modified/2007/November 2007 1/DSC02204.JPG

/Users/soh1889/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2007/November 2007 1/DSC02211.JPG

Apr 10, 08 9:36 pm  · 
 · 
Luke.Kakizaki

arg don't know how to upload photos.

anyways, REM KOOLHAAS's Seattle Public Liberary

http://www.notablebiographies.com/news/images/unmk_0000_0005_0_img0067.jpg

Apr 10, 08 9:40 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

always, e... always

Apr 10, 08 11:29 pm  · 
 · 
e

cool.

not an event but certainly something people should consider doing this time of year. get outside. i guess i am inspired by the sun this morning. the days are getting longer and warmer so get out there and enjoy it.

two garden related activities for people to consider. one is free. go walk around washington park arboretum. it is beautiful over there and ever changing. the other is to visit bloedel reserve. it's on bainbridge and only cost $10. take the ferry and make a day of it.

Apr 11, 08 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

re: bloedel, membership is only $40 and you can go year round and take up to 4 people, so it pretty much pays for itself in one trip.

and there's cutler house there...

Apr 11, 08 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
e

Ah, good tip holz. We recently gave a gift to a couple of friends. Part of the gift includes a trip to Bloedel with us so becoming a member will come in hand. Thx.

Apr 11, 08 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

yes. i really enjoy right before they mow the meadow. there is a limit to the number of people they allow, so it usually isn't too crowded. we take guests all the time. it's richard hag-designed and there is also a really cool guesthouse by paul hayden kirk w/ nakashima furniture, but it’s not open, unfortunately.

the zen garden is formerly a swimming pool were the poet Theodore roethke drowned.

Apr 11, 08 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
e
Good exhibition at OKOK

The 727 sold for $35k

More of Ron vander Ende's work

I heart Sputnik.

May 15, 08 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

whoa. holz.box is a burnt box.

what a fantastic afternoon.

hope you guys were at least near the water if not on...

May 16, 08 11:19 pm  · 
 · 
e

indeed. somelab shut down early to take the girl to the park. she's beat now. tomorrow will burn you even more holz. stay cool.

May 16, 08 11:36 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

awesome. yeah, probably be @ magnuson for most of tomorrow. looking forward to a real summer day (finally)

May 16, 08 11:56 pm  · 
 · 

ugh. I'm stuck doing work. But my thesis may just require some outdoor reading... and maybe a bike ride for primary research.

May 17, 08 12:08 am  · 
 · 
kyleseyz

so hot outside! Don't forget to check out the U-district street fair this weekend...

May 17, 08 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

also, the cheese festival, though it is poorly laid out...

May 17, 08 6:44 pm  · 
 · 
hungry

i'm moving to seattle from southern california for school this fall...it's nice to see that the sun DOES come out once in awhile :)

May 21, 08 1:12 am  · 
 · 
kyleseyz

yeah, a lot of people here are really harsh on the weather, including myself, but the culture and the bodies of water more than make up for it!

hopefully the awful spring will be offset by a nicer fall!

May 21, 08 1:18 am  · 
 · 
wrecking ball

the only people who could be harsh on the weather in seattle must be from california, no offense. the weather here is wonderful compared to the extreme humidity and cold in the midwest/east coast. and i love how the light always changes...

May 21, 08 1:51 am  · 
 · 
kyleseyz

wrecking ball, you're right, I used to live in California :D

May 21, 08 2:00 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

i didn't and i complain about it all the time.

obviously youse kids weren't here for the almost 75 straight days of rain... that was a killer fall/winter

May 21, 08 2:37 am  · 
 · 
wrecking ball

i'd take that over freezing my ass off in chicago, which is where i'm headed unfortunately.

May 21, 08 2:52 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

ah, revolving doors on every storefront!

May 21, 08 2:55 am  · 
 · 
holz.box
SIFF

tix are going going...

May 21, 08 3:19 am  · 
 · 
e

holz, should have warned you about the cheese festival. a friend went last year and hated it. poor layout and tiny, tiny samples of fairly pedestrian cheeses.

i'm with you wrecking ball. i grew up in DC. i will never move back. hazy, hot, humid summers and brutally cold winters. spent half the year inside avoiding the weather.

May 21, 08 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

e,

there were way too many people, the cheese selection was ok. no water and there should have been signs declaring the types of cheese, rather than small ones denoting the (blessed) cheese maker.

May 21, 08 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

i rather have changes in the weather than sun 100% of the time, myself. Rain = good in my book

May 21, 08 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

It’s not rain, though. One of the things I liked about NoVa was the plethora of thunderstorms. I think I’ve seen maybe 3 lighting strikes since moving here.

It’s more like a constant drizzle. Like god’s a dribbler or something.

May 21, 08 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
wrecking ball

LOL, holz.

May 21, 08 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

thunder thunder thundercats hoooooooooooo!

May 21, 08 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
e28

So Holz are there any must see movies at SIFF this year I have not had a chance to look through what is playing.

And yeah the cheese fest was a pain, I cut right in front of a lady who was busy trying to figure out the system if there was a line or not she asked just about every cheese person who would listen. The cheese was good but nothing stood out.

Having lived in Seattle for my entire life I am used to the constant drizzle but I do enjoy a good thunder/lightning storm. I do get a good laugh when I walk through Pike Place Market and see the photos people are selling there is always someone with a picture of the space needle and a big streak of lightning and that happened more than 20 years ago it was cool.

May 22, 08 2:03 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

hmmm. interested in the following, but i don't know if i'll have time to see most of 'em...

Savage Grace
Allein in vier wanden
Casting a Glance
Up the Yangtze
The Past and the Present
The Edge of Heaven
Ben X
Continental, a Film Without Guns
Shall We Kiss?
Still Orangutans
Boy A

and a personal fave, sexy beast.

May 22, 08 2:30 am  · 
 · 
hungry

oh don't get me wrong, i wasn't trying to rag on seattle. i did my undergrad in the northeast, so i can definitely appreciate seattle's weather (i really appreciate anything that isn't snow covered ground 6 months of the year). plus, i have relatives there, one of which is a painter, and she told me that the light is pretty awesome for art, so i'm looking forward to that.

i can't promise that i won't complain though after the nth day of no sun though:) but i'll wait until i actually move there!

May 22, 08 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

hungry

thats why you need to blow glass!

May 22, 08 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

mdler, check yer emails

so the local news is talking about a bunch of free days @ museums thursday (SAM, EMP, etc) and i just wanted to add (again) that the $13 admission to the SAM is a suggested price. if you want me to pay full price, then just charge a fair admission.

also, the OSKA-designed Wing Luke Asian Musuem is now open.

9 june, Suyama Space - METAPHORM, Carolyn Healy + John Phillips

25 june - miller|hull's muckleshoot library opens

26 june - wait wait don't tell me @ the paramount

25-26 july - cap hill block party

Jun 5, 08 2:18 am  · 
 · 
e

and tonight

ARCADE 26.4 Launch Party
Thursday, June 5, 2008
5:30 - 7:30pm
Inform Interiors, 1220 Western Ave, Seattle, WA 98101

Join us as we celebrate the release of ARCADE 26.4 Now and Next: Furniture and Product Horizons at Inform Interiors. The feature, edited by Kelly Walker w/Bill Fritts, explores the various roles industrial design plays in our evolving world.

Jun 5, 08 11:02 am  · 
 · 

will be there, just not right at the start...

Jun 5, 08 11:30 am  · 
 · 
e

i'll be there too. maybe we'll finally meet? btw, we'll be doing upcoming volume of Arcade. Yay.

Jun 5, 08 11:32 am  · 
 · 
mdler

mdler-clause is comming to town!

Jun 5, 08 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
e

Seriously?
Lesbian kiss at Seattle ballpark stirs up gay-friendly town

Jun 5, 08 12:00 pm  · 
 · 

e- I had heard! I'll talk to you more about that tonight, as my involvement with all things Arcade is not a done deal (yet), but I may see a bit more of you over the summer. I'll be the redhead with the nosering, probably hanging out by the bar. Unfortunately I've got a class until 6, so I've got to high-tail it over there like a bunny in a forest fire.

Jun 5, 08 12:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: