Archinect
anchor

Aggregate Seattle

e

that's great r. i'll be the guy in the light blue shirt, jeans and a patch of gray hair in the front.

Jun 5, 08 12:29 pm  · 
 · 

ha, yeah, in a room mostly full of architects that'll be easy to spot!

Jun 5, 08 12:33 pm  · 
 · 

as predicted, went there, saw at least half a dozen people who fit that description. Might have to email you re: Arcade, but that can happen later, possibly after finals, and after my position is more finalized.

Jun 6, 08 1:39 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

e, is that this issue or the next?

Jun 6, 08 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
e

The next.

Jun 6, 08 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

awesome. looking forward to the issue.

Jun 6, 08 7:30 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

so I just got back from Seattle...job interview went well and I have some other work lined up!

Went to Sitka & Spruce

saw a bald eagle on Lake Washington (the 1st one I have seen in the wild)

LA is too damn hot!

Jun 8, 08 6:44 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

We be having an LA/Seattle Kind of day. Hot as hell with a ton of humidity....and it is the same for the next two days at least! Fricking gas went up 7 cents a gallon today.

I'm thinking about shutting down the office for a couple of days and getting a kiddy pool and a good book in order to conserve energy.
I hate to have to run the AC....inorder to keep the computers cool.

Jun 8, 08 7:17 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Those black iron scultures are awesome. Also that house up top. I love seattle architecture - cool minimal and rich materials. Anyone from Seattle here work for Sundberg Olson - I love their work.

wreking ball - i laughed at this - "i'd take that over freezing my ass off in chicago, which is where i'm headed unfortunately."

One day you will find yourself alone in the cold on an imaculately clear blue day in january because the particulates fall to earth and all the towers will be glittering and you will be alone in a city of 3 million people. It can be surreal.

Jun 8, 08 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

evil

I had an interview there on Friday and it went well...may be working there soon

Jun 9, 08 1:13 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

I think thats one of the best portfolios of work in the country. Hell - Id move to Seattle to work for them.

are they in the city or suburbs?

Jun 9, 08 10:16 am  · 
 · 
e

mdler, good to hear your latest trip went well. let us know what comes of things. btw, you will often see bald eagles soaring high above. we also have a number of herons that regularly fly over our house.

evil, OSKA is in the city. Pioneer Square to be exact.

Jun 9, 08 11:50 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

Ha!

I moved here because of OSKA, ep, though nothing panned out, unfortunately.

A majority of their work is rural or suburban

Jun 9, 08 12:11 pm  · 
 · 

tonight is the UW Division of Design Graduation Exhibition at the Jacob Lawrence Gallery on campus. It's orgnized by Kristine Matthews of thomas.matthews, and by all accounts is about 10x more fabulous than previous showings.

Jun 10, 08 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
e28

I went and checked out Pike Street Fish Fry on Sunday I have to say very tasty. I had the cat fish with lemon aioli, I want to go back and try the grilled octopus and sturgeon

Jun 16, 08 11:23 pm  · 
 · 
e

Junuary is back.

Jun 17, 08 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

SO I GOT ME A JOB IN SEATTLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will be in the city on / around July 1st for goods!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jun 17, 08 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

from friday's interview?!?
congrats, bastard!

Jun 17, 08 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
e

yay for mdler. congrats my friend, ahem, i mean bastard. gonna share where?

Jun 17, 08 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

holz.box

no OSKA for me...which is okay. I took a job with www.gprojects.net

will be building houses! I am actually looking forward to getting away from the computer for a while and this will give me more construction / developmet experience so that I will have more leverage down the road.

I will also be doing some side work architectin'

Jun 17, 08 1:00 pm  · 
 · 

congrats, mdler! They do some nice work.

Jun 17, 08 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

thanks!

I will be the guy walking around Seattle in my elephant thong, toolbelt, and a hardhat

Jun 17, 08 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

yeah the houses on 19th aren't so bad... the new projects look interesting as well...

Jun 17, 08 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
dml955i

I think Seattle already has a couple folks sporting that look mdler!

Congrats on the new gig!

I'll be returning to Seattle mid-July for a wedding...

Jun 17, 08 1:18 pm  · 
 · 

ohhhh goodness. When oh when will that elephant thong be put to rest?! I was going to ask you to come BBQ at my place when there are visitors later in the summer, but I don't want my housemates to be scared away by the elephant thong...

Jun 17, 08 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

rationalist

if the thong scares them I will take it off

Jun 17, 08 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

HI YALLS!!!!!!!!!!!! I AM MOVING TO SEATTLE ON FRIDAY OF THIS WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jun 23, 08 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
khmay

seattle is great...
between my household there was surfing, climbing, skiing, biking, and more this weekend. what other city can compare to that?

Jun 23, 08 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Grats! Mdler.....best of luck on your new life adventure!

Jun 23, 08 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
kanu

this weekend was nice, it has been chilly this spring but i would rather be a bit cold then be sweating.

mdler you would have fit in well this weekend in your elephant thong riding a bike.

Jun 23, 08 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

kanu

was the Freemont bike ride this past weekend?

Jun 23, 08 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
e28

Yep the naked bike riders or the Fremont Solstice parade was this past weekend

Naked biker

Jun 24, 08 12:00 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Porteatleouvergon

Jun 25, 08 12:17 am  · 
 · 
mdler

this could be fun...

http://www.seattlebeerfest.com

Jun 26, 08 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

anyone catch the critical mass melee last night?

i was too busy shaking my a** at that time.

Jul 26, 08 9:59 pm  · 
 · 
bRink

holz, that's just crazy... People really need to *chill out*...

Although this is a pretty rare thing in Seattle, this kind of road rage is alot more common in other cities, in LA (and probably Toronto where I used to live) things like this happen all the time... Seattle is pretty mild as far as road rage goes... You end up with alot more traffic police cruisers needed to keep the peace, etc...

But it is a bit worrisome how the population growth and approaching economic downturn might affect the crime rate in Seattle and other U.S. cities...

Jul 27, 08 10:51 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

critical mass are a bunch of assholes...they give the biking comunity a bad name

Jul 28, 08 7:47 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

holz

next time you are on the hill, stop by

Jul 28, 08 7:48 pm  · 
 · 
khmay

a parade, or in this case, a march on seattle city streets is legal and you actually cannot plow through one with your car (even if you're engulfed by people you cant actually run them over).

Jul 28, 08 8:19 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

yamK

in order to parade or march you need a permit and are usually given a police escourt of some kind. Blocking both lanes of traffic and ignoring other traffic laws in the name of promoting bikers rights is illegal and just pisses people off.

Jul 28, 08 8:27 pm  · 
 · 
khmay

if that was the case the police would stop the protest. the point of critical mass is to mock people who drive to work by clogging the streets as they do in heavy traffic. you dont need a permit to cause traffic jams do you?
if people choose to break laws while doing so that's their issue. if people try to run over bikers in attempt to break free from the traffic, theyre going to get the shit kicked out of them.

there's a better, less bias, report in the times this morning.

Jul 29, 08 11:50 am  · 
 · 
kanu

I thought it was ironic that this happened at the same time on the other side of the country.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/29/nyregion/29critical.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

I’m also quite critical of critical mass; it’s not the best way to make a point and I’m really sad to see the general backlash on the part of the public and the media toward biking in general. I ride up pike every day and yesterday while standing on my bike at a light I was booed, I kid you not! i had nothing to do with any of that, im just a commuter! The scary thing about this whole incident is that there are people out there who see the results and think that because they see a biker "breaking a law" then they have reason to break a law as well. the claim is this guy may have feared for his life, and reacted in self defense. Personally I don’t buy it, no critical mass ride has attacked people unprovoked before and a unreasonable fear does not justify his actions. I believe that both the driver and the cyclists need to be held accountable for their actions.

its becoming a very scary place to commute, between this, the traffic circle incident and the 40 person mêlée that broke out at the municipal building parking garage last month, I really would recommend keeping your head down and not engaging other commuters, hell there’s people on the major news rag's blogs threatening to carry a gun and shoot the next cyclist/driver that offends them.

People need to chillaxe

Jul 29, 08 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
khmay

yeah that nyc shit was ridiculous. that officer should get a curb smile, not a desk job, for that one.

Jul 29, 08 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
e
Wanna buy a Kundig condo?
Aug 2, 08 3:00 pm  · 
 · 

that depends... wanna front me the $$$?

Aug 2, 08 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
e

err, maybe if i win the lottery.

Aug 4, 08 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
khmay

the banner out front is hilarious

Aug 4, 08 4:57 pm  · 
 · 

What a coincidence, e! That's exactly how I feel about the question you asked!

Aug 4, 08 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
e

Awesome. So if you win the lottery then you can front me the money for the Kundig condo?

Aug 4, 08 7:51 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

e,
i'll take one as well...

upcoming AIAseattle show New Edge | New Blood opens august 12th, from 5.00 - 6.30

postcard

the new blood

BLA
Build LLC
chadbourne + doss
Graham Baba
Heliotrope
Hutchison & Maul
HyBrid
Lead Pencil Studio
Pb Elemental
PIQUE
workshop A|D
Zero Plus

Aug 5, 08 3:21 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: