event:
Arcade 28.2 launch party
12/2
5.30-7.30
Oddfellows building @ 9th & pine

Dec 1, 09 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
e

didn't see you there last night holz. the guest editor is jason mclennan of cascadia. really good guy.

arcade had a silent auction last night and e hooked a weekend stay for the wife.

http://www.trendir.com/house-design/compact-river-cabin-design-in-washington.html

Dec 3, 09 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

is that jim dow’s cabin? awesome, e. should be a relaxing vacation!

i knew mclennan was the guest editor -i’m looking forward to perusing this months magazine.
i had conflicting events. attempted to make it earlier in the evening, but traffic wasn’t cooperating.

how was the venue for the release?

i’ll definitely be at the next one.

Dec 3, 09 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
e

yeah, it is. he offered up, i believe, 6 different weekend stays. the wife dared me and i immediately walked over and signed my name to the guaranteed price. ha. she was in a bit of shock.

the oddfellows building is pretty nice. the event was on the top floor. you can see pics here: http://www.oddfellowsbuilding.com/

looking forward to seeing you at the next one if we are around. might be heading to belgium for the wife's 40th.

Dec 3, 09 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

nice. sounds priceless. decent turnout?

let me know before you head out to belgium... grab a bier beforehand.

and if you don't go, then we'll see you @ the release.

Dec 3, 09 10:04 pm  · 
 · 
e

yeah, it was a decent turnout. have you been to belgium? if so, where?

Dec 4, 09 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

lived in BE for 4 years as a kid, so i’ve been all over, though i don’t remember most of it. we used to go camping in the ardennes.

more recently (5 years ago, one day in each)
gent
brugges
waterloo
antwerp
brussels
ostend

and lots of great beer.

Dec 4, 09 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
e

well, we will need to get together before we go then. we are currently looking at amsterdam [if we fly in there. nw air flies direct], brussels, beerse, antwerp, ostend, gent and bruges, bruges, bruges. have you seen the movie in bruges?

Dec 4, 09 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

sounds good.

yeah, in brugges was terrible.

Dec 4, 09 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
siki

UGG Classic Paisley UGG Classic Paisley

Classic Paisley Boots Classic Paisley Boots

cheap UGG Classic Paisley cheap UGG Classic Paisley

UGG Classic Short Boots UGG Classic Short Boots

Jan 20, 10 11:39 am  · 
 · 
siki

UGG Ultra UGG Ultra

UGG Ultra Short UGG Ultra Short

UGG Ultra Tall UGG Ultra Tall

Bailey Button UGG Bailey Button UGG

Nightfall ugg Nightfall ugg

Sundance Ugg Sundance Ugg

Cardy ugg Cardy ugg

Classic Short Ugg Boots Classic Short Ugg Boots

Classic Tall Metallic Uggs Classic Tall Metallic Uggs

uggs outlet uggs outlet

ugg outlet ugg outlet

ugg outlet store ugg outlet store

uggs outlet stores uggs outlet stores

uggs australia outlet uggs australia outlet

ugg australia outlet ugg australia outlet

Ugg Boots on sale Ugg Boots on sale

UGG Australia UGG Australia

Australia Ugg Australia Ugg

ugg boots ugg boots

Outlet UGG Boots Outlet UGG Boots

Wholesale Ugg boots Wholesale Ugg boots

ugg boots uggs outlet ugg boots uggs outlet

ultrahigh boots ultrahigh boots

Jan 20, 10 11:40 am  · 
 · 
fcl

I am new to the board and found this thread about Seattle. Recently I have made a decision to move west to Seattle. Currently I am living in Richmond, Va and went to school in DC. Since August I have been laid off from my architecture firm and have been waiting tables. My dream is to work for an residential architecture firm in the Pacific Northwest. I plan on moving this summer and pick a job serving and wait till the market picks up and find an architecture job. I have been there before when the weather was awesome, I maybe coming out for a weekend in March. What are some good residential firms to look into? Any pointers to get into the network of architects in Seattle...

Jan 21, 10 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box
Any pointers to get into the network of architects in Seattle...

get a master's from UW. the market right now is saturated w/ unemployed architects. bring cash.

Jan 21, 10 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
fcl

I already have my masters. Just started to study for my exams. Want to take the LEED for houses too, already have AP. Looking for a change of scenery mainly, don't see myself getting a job till the end of the summer or year. Yeah cash would help.

Jan 21, 10 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

seattle’s weird, having a local m.arch seems [seemed?] to go a long way in pulling down the better jobs, even though the work coming out of UW is average at best (flame on, bitches!)

i’ll let others chime in here… i know a few people that are attempting to move out next year. things seemed to have leveled off a little – but commercial work is poised to take a nosedive. anyone care to take a stab at how long til smaller firms will start next round of layoffs?

LEED is pretty much a requisite out here, for reasons i’ll never really understand.

i know people with local contacts that produce strong work, that have been unemployed for over a year. shooting for an architecture job in the next 6-9 months here may be an overly optimistic goal.

a few pages back on this thread, we ran a list of decent firms in the city. from that list, i only know of 2 that hired anyone in the last few months, and they were small – like 1-2 people small.

any questions?

Jan 21, 10 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
fcl

i have been talking to contacts around here and things seem to be getting worse, worse everywhere. I would like to know my chances of just finding server job in Seattle...something just to pay the rent.

I would like to be optimistic and have a new job, but networking will work for me right now.

Maybe attend some green drinks and network.

Jan 21, 10 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

even server positions aren't easy to come by these days...

green drinks - yech. they took a decent idea and turned into a giant young singles meet up... not much in the way of networking. i have a friend who's company put it on not too long ago, and it was a huge waste of time and effort on their part.

Jan 21, 10 8:43 pm  · 
 · 
fcl

holz, your taking away all my wishful thinking:-) oh well. guess I will see what happens this summer once i am out of my lease and move back with my parents. thanks for the info. there are a lot of intriguing firms in seattle, your list and insight has helped me out.

Jan 21, 10 9:49 pm  · 
 · 
bRink

fcl: Sure why not come join Seattle, it's a great city, even if it is not a great job market! You'll be even more competition for me... but then... what's the difference between 301 applicants for one job post compared to just 300 applications... The more the merrier! :)

Other than actually working in an office, you can get involved in other things... Like Holtz said, U fo W seems to be connected to alot here.. You could also volunteer for the Seattle Architecture Foundation as a tour guide or doing other things - their annual model exhibit (you'd meet a bunch of architects or students volunteering, and other people who are not architects but are involved in the community here, I've met structural engineers to people who work for the city as volunteers)... There's also things like: Pecha Kucha nights... Also U of W stuff you can go to... Lectures and things, although lectures are probably not the best environment to meet people... Best to keep busy anyway while job hunting... I would expect it will take at least a few months to find a job, but hopefully people start hiring, maybe later this year! I'm in the same boat here, out of work and looking for work in Seattle...

http://www.aiaseattle.org/

http://seattlearchitecture.org/

http://www.pecha-kucha.org/night/seattle/

http://www.caup.washington.edu/Events/

Jan 22, 10 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
bRink

I found this nice little directory of firms somebody created, if you'd like to know what residential offices are out there...

http://www.seattlearchitectlist.com/

best of luck! :)

Jan 22, 10 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
fcl

bRink. Thanks for all the links and insight you listed above. I enjoyed the words of encouragement even though I may not even have a job this year. I am looking on into UW for certificate programs. I already have my masters. Photography is an interest of mine too.

Looking forward to moving out there summer and getting my skills honed for a job interview so maybe I can bet out some locals:) Or I will see how well you tip when you get the job and I am still waiting tables.

Jan 26, 10 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
coal

Our customer wants what's new, fresh and exciting. They want the very best, the exclusives. We deliver premium performance and sport style products that are unique in fit, style and design. Each store features traditional athletic brands including Nike, adidas, Puma, Jordan, Under Armour and New Balance along with sport style brands including Lacoste, Converse, Ed Hardy and Sperry.
http://www.thenikedunk.com

Mar 7, 10 10:27 pm  · 
 · 
surface

Hey y'all seattle :)
I've been on an internet hiatus. But I wanted to let you all know that I live here for the next few months. So, hello!

Mar 11, 10 12:54 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

lecture:
Dorte Mandrup-Poulsen: GOING PUBLIC
5/5
UW - Architecture Hall 147 @ 6:30 PM

May 4, 10 1:37 am  · 
 · 
LOOP!

Archinect Flash-Mob, anyone?

I'm on my way up to Seattle soon and will be wondering around the city for the week. Myself and others that are in town are having a good-sized get together with old grads of UW's arch. program. We'll be at Post Alley Bar or Kells on Thursday, the 17th at 8:00 PM until late.

If you're in the area, please stop by. It would be cool to make it an archinect meet-up as well and meet some people.

I haven't been to Post but heard it will be sufficiently empty on Thursday, so we'll have the run of the place. If you come by, you can find out what I'm sippin' on.

Jun 15, 10 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
n_

UW Department of Architecture Lecture Series

Gregg Pasquarelli | SHoP Architects

6:30 PM Thursday 3 February
Architecture Hall 147

Jan 25, 11 11:40 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: