Archinect
anchor

Aggregate Seattle

w3

thanks e. we love good cheese - my wife has more diverse taste than I do...but hopefully our budget will allow for us to enjoy some of that every now and again.
rationalist - good luck with the move. i hope it all goes smoothly for you. i haven't heard anything about the bbq - and i don't yet have an official schedule for orientation that is supposed to begin on wednesday next week. hmmm...will see - i'm pretty sure architecture is in the process of moving some offices, etc.. . into Arch Hall so maybe I can cut them some slack.

Sep 12, 07 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
khmay

anyone ride critical mass a few weeks ago? im looking for soem photos

Sep 12, 07 4:04 pm  · 
 · 

nope, would love to hit future rides though.

I am here! House is beauteous, ride to school reminds me why I am here every day and is easy, ride home is a little harder, especially when I stop for shopping on the way and run into extra hills and lose track of the bridge going over the ravine.... but it's all good, I'll learn.

Sep 17, 07 9:32 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

even on depressing rainy days like today/yesterday?

time to bust out the lamps.

blllaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh.

Sep 17, 07 9:44 pm  · 
 · 
w3

welcome rationalist! i know what you mean about the ride home from campus...you have a bit further to go than i do, but it's definitely a little steeper than i would have guessed, and has had me breathing hard the few times that I've done it so far. a good little workout for sure.

orientation starts on wednesday for me...how about you rationalist? what does the schedule look like in the art dept?

it occured to me yesterday as i biked in the rain that i may not be wearing my sunglasses for a while. one less thing to carry around i suppose... we'll see how i feel about the rain in a few months.

next item to purchase = fenders for my bike

Sep 18, 07 1:32 am  · 
 · 

I actually just hit Montlake Bikes today in search of fenders, and gloves. Apparently there's some trade show this weekend at which all that winter gear will get ordered, so there's a vastly improved selection of stuff if we can just hold out a week or two.

I'm in TA training tomorrow and wednesday, and then orientation thursday and friday, and advisor meeting/schedule-building monday. TA training was interesting today, I take issue with some of the ideas presented.

Sep 18, 07 1:41 am  · 
 · 
Katze
take issue with some of the ideas presented

do tell!!!

Sep 18, 07 2:00 am  · 
 · 
w3

wow - talk about hitting the ground running. i padded as much time as I could before classes start. you're way more responsible than i am...to work a bit longer, etc.. .

good word on the winter bike gear.

Sep 18, 07 2:08 am  · 
 · 

I didn't think I could afford to quit work sooner, but it turned out that I could have by a few days, by virtue of having accrued 104 unused vacation hours, where I thought I only had about 80.

The thing I take issue with is that I was in a seminar about grading in the fine arts, and the discussion leader tried to convince us that it was wrong to grade talent. AT ALL. Now, I won't be giving the brilliant person who does no work an A or anything, but neither do I believe that the person who works their ass off but somehow just missed the boat deserves one either. A top grade should be awarded only to those who unite talent and discipline, in my view. I was glad to see that the rest of the design students agreed with me. The drama students seemed on board though, but then it was taught by a drama professor, so maybe things are just done a little differently over there.... or maybe UW just gives out a lot more 'A's than I'm used to?

Sep 18, 07 11:49 am  · 
 · 
w3

I've been to the Olympic Sculpture Park twice now. Both were a little rushed so I still have a lot to see and photograph, but these are some of the photos that I have thus far.

Sep 18, 07 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

throwing out some calendar information.
29oct - red bull soapbox derby - join all of seattle in fremont!
o3oct - cameron cinclair - design like you give a damn, town hall, $5 @ door
0ooct - steven strong - to zero & beyond, pier 66
o5oct - hump3
o1nov - REX - seattle central, microsoft room
o2nov - jeanne gang - pre-search, UW arch room 147
o5nov - aia honor awards, benaroya hall
18nov - aia/nwhome & garden open house
19nov - terry boling - stone soup, UW arch room 147

also, i might get yelled at for posting this, but i recently found out through a co-worker that the SAM downtown is actually FREE.

the admission is suggested, so you don't have to pay the monstrous $16 or whatever it is. i thought i'd pass that on cos i saw they were doing a "buy 2 get one free" deal or something like that and was shocked.

Sep 27, 07 10:48 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

o4oct - steven strong - to zero & beyond, pier 66

Sep 27, 07 10:49 pm  · 
 · 
Katze
A top grade should be awarded only to those who unite talent and discipline, in my view.

amen!

Sep 28, 07 10:44 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

as long as you showed up and worked hard at my uni, you got a good grade. it annoyed the fuck out of those with any design talent to be degraded by clowns that could stick it out but still turn out shite.

Sep 28, 07 10:54 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

that sucks…I think it is completely inappropriate to grade individuals based solely on attendance and slinging out shit...its just wrong.

Sep 28, 07 11:15 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

and unethical/immoral.

grades are worthless when you that happens

Sep 28, 07 11:38 pm  · 
 · 

I agree completely, and was heartened to see via syllabi that my design professors don't seem to take that route either, though grade inflation appears rampant anyway.

Anyone else going to try and make it to town hall to see Cameron on wednesday? If w3 or Fogey are going (or anyone else in the north/university area of course), do you want to meet up and bus over together?

Sep 30, 07 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

hmm, i'd offer a ride...
but i've got a million things that day and might not make the lecture (though i want to)
and then i'd also lose my archinect anonymity, which would probably be devastating!

Sep 30, 07 10:59 pm  · 
 · 
Cameron

yo, I fly in late Tuesday and will be staying till Friday morning. I'm swinging by MS Research Labs and Starbucks for anyone holed up there.

BTW. if you are expecting me to talk about the book sorry to disappoint. The lecture is 'when sustainability is a matter of survival'. it will be about 60/70 min. to get your $5 worth.

/holz, you are dead to me.

Oct 1, 07 1:07 am  · 
 · 
w3

rationalist - i very well may be interested, but i can't commit yet. will touch base if i can make it happen.

regardless though i haven't met any of you yet - so if there is an evening we could get together for drinks - we should do that. any takers?

Oct 1, 07 1:55 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

ouch, cameron. ouch.

wait, you're flying to give the lecture?!?

i've re-prioritized, i'll be there. it better be as fascinating as the thomas herzog lecture @ TU Muenchen which is probably the most influential speaker i've seen to date.

cameron, by chance have you met rolf disch yet?

be interested to see what you have to say about the 2030 challenge v. switzerland's minergie/nullenergiehaus programs.

Oct 1, 07 2:12 am  · 
 · 
e

I wish I could make it, but I will be flying out to Philly and DC on Wednesday. Reverend e will be performing a ceremony to marry his brother and girlfriend this weekend.

Cameron, not sure if you've heard of egg. They are a local marketing and ad agency that focuses on sustainable brands and organizations. Thought you might find them interesting.

Oct 1, 07 10:26 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

bumparooo

Oct 3, 07 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
w3

i'm out today - sorry rationalist. we have a review today in studio then i'm working w/ another group on a project for a materials/assembly course that i'm taking. please do post thoughts when you get back.

Oct 3, 07 4:29 pm  · 
 · 

ummmm, yeah. Don't be sorry to me. We must all beg Cameron's forgiveness, myself included!

I just ate lunch (am I a little behind on my schedule today?), and while I was eating figured out that there's no possible way for me to get all my homework for tomorrow done if I trek downtown for the lecture tonight.

I'm sorry Cameron, so sorry. I did publicize it to the other MFA students, so you may get some random artists wandering in there... be kind, they're sweet when you get past the wierdness.

Oct 3, 07 8:10 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

wow, i'm the only one, and i don't count... wicked, at least i'll be able to find a seat

Oct 3, 07 8:41 pm  · 
 · 

Fridays are really my only available days for such a thing, unless you believe that lunch occurs after at least 3pm... I TA on fridays until 12:30, so am free after that.

As predicted, I just got home from studio a few minutes ago, and still have more work to do before tomorrow...

Oct 3, 07 11:22 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

ooh, missed a doozy. big congrats to cameron, twasn't dull at all,

Oct 4, 07 12:41 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

was anyone @ the steve strong 2.5 hour lecture/snooze-fest?

it was really preaching-to-the-choir, which frankly, isn't as inspirational as it once was. anyone?

seriously, i want to see green projects that don't look like they're from the 70s, like these...

anything coming up between now and the REX lecture?

Oct 7, 07 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

bumpage...
Wednesday, October 24, 6:30 PM

dieter grau, atelier dreiseitl (landscape)

Architecture Hall 147

Dieter Grau is a registered landscape architect with more than 15 years of experience creating spaces that evoke an association with nature and provide stewardship of land. His diverse span of prominent work seeks to foster a deeper understanding and appreciation of the art in the context of landscape architecture. Dieter’s design talent, resourceful and ingenious methodology, and an award-winning expertise distinguish many of Atelier Dreiseitl’s projects serving global community.

He has extensive experience as a Project Leader for many years in a lots of Atelier Dreiseitl’s projects worldwide. Over recent times he has built a reputation for innovation and excellence in large-scale urban design, landscape master planning, resort design, cultural and residential design projects

He is well known for his design skills and has acted as Principal in the office as well as he guides and lectures worldwide for many major government and corporate organisations on landscape design.

Mr. Grau is author of the book New Waterscapes: Planning, Building and Designing with Water, 2006.

In his talk on Sustainable Strategies for City Landscapes: Celebrating Water in Urban Design, Dieter Grau will present the ways in which Atelier Dreiseitl approaches its work in an interdisciplinary working process and presents accomplished projects in various scales. The presentation will showcase the Studio's strategies in dealing with different situations, cultures,climates and constraints.

Oct 24, 07 11:04 am  · 
 · 

I just got back from seeing Art Chantry at the Henry, and it was absolutely amazing. That is the most inspired I have been in so many years.

Oct 24, 07 11:50 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

bumpin' for the lectures this week:
o1nov - REX - seattle central, microsoft room
o2nov - jeanne gang - pre-search, UW arch room 147

anything else in the coming month?

Oct 31, 07 5:22 am  · 
 · 
e

Anyone go to the AIA Honor Awards last night?

I heard Weiss/Manfredi won for their Olympic Sculpture Park. Blah. And OSKA won an award for Kundig's Rolling Huts. Any other winners?

Nov 6, 07 8:48 pm  · 
 · 
e

Seems OSKA also won a Merit Award for their Outpost and a Commendation Award for the Montecito Residence.

Nov 6, 07 8:52 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

is outpost for a swiss-born citizen? seems to be an homage to le croix suisse.

i heard josh kinda called out every architect in seattle for not ever going against the status quo.

Nov 6, 07 9:28 pm  · 
 · 
e

fair enough comment. some friends that attended mentioned that lack of discussion of place, but i don't expect that it is important to josh. the spl could be in any city.

i am surprised that the olympic park won the honor award. the building is nothing special and devoid of program. i find the park itself disappointing. weiss/manfredi has put a ramp on the site with no real moments to get off the ramp and reflect on the art.

Nov 7, 07 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

e,
speaking of a discussion of place (or lack thereof)...

did you hear about the latest monstrosity being designed for capitol hill mr norberg schulz would be very very proud. it looks like a [soul-less] doozy.

i actually really enjoy the sculpture garden, if only as a catalyst for the viaduct debate. don't get me wrong, i love taking the 99 to the airport and such, but it's an eyesore. plus, you get to experience the art from your car, which is more than most americans get anyway.

have the winners been posted anywhere else?

Nov 8, 07 1:48 am  · 
 · 
e

holz

that thing is horrible. more crappy condos. just what we need in seattle. yeah.

okay, maybe i was a little harsh on the sculpture park. it does have it's moments. i just wish there were opportunities to meander and contemplate. i agree with you on it hopefully showing people what things could look like without the viaduct. it is an eyesore and barrier between the city and waterfront.

i have not seen the winners posted or noted anywhere. there has been a blog set up: http://honorawards.aiaseattle.net/

Nov 8, 07 11:16 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

for those sans job or looking to change,

OSKA is hiring in the 3-6 years range, if you don't mind the random beat down (joke)

all i have to say is, where was this a year ago? ack.

Nov 9, 07 9:24 pm  · 
 · 
igloominaire

What do people have to say about Gensler Seattle? InsideArch's report doesn't exactly glow...

Nov 15, 07 12:40 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

mixed bag, from what i've heard.

there seems to be a fairly high turnover rate as well.

Nov 15, 07 2:17 am  · 
 · 
e

we just got word that we will be designing a web site for kundig's rolling huts. the site is for kundig's client, and it will be used to show off the huts and take reservations for guests.

Nov 15, 07 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

2 quick things:

saw the blod 'necter e pointed out, and a lot of queen anne residents were slamming Pb Elemental's project that won an AIA award because it doesn't look like a "glamorous" bungalow like the rest of QA. - relevance? arguments for or against?

personally, i found this project very fascinating -but i'm always digging the box...

also, this discussion was ongoing as well:

guest:
can there be a limit
on the number of times a project can be submitted?
seriously, the soma house was submitted as the eaton residence the previous 2 years.

guest:
5 YEARS
I believe the AIA submittal form says you are allowed to submit a project up to 5 years after the completion date.

guest:
sounds good
but maybe a limit to how many times in that 5 years? perhaps 2 times in 5 years would be appropriate. it appears as though one is starved for attention and recognition, otherwise. if the work is good, it will speak for itself. if it's a good project, the accolades will come. why the need to raise funds to honor strong projects?

or to quote bruce mau's incomplete manifesto:
26. don't enter awards competitions. just don't. it's not good for you.

architecture competitions, on the other hand, are a desirable and admirable pursuit. it's unfortunate the selection process in the states doesn't encompass them. it almost always produces stronger architecture.

have to say, that's an interesting thought: don't enter awards competitions.

i've entered quite a few arch competitions, and have placed in a few. i feel the results are almost always better (the SPL, or Holl's Nelson Atkins are recent examples) but have never really understood paying to enter an awards competition. all the ego stroking that must go on, especially w/ firms that have a huge marketing dept.

Dec 6, 07 9:34 pm  · 
 · 
e

nice holz. i pass by that house all the time. nice to see some interior shots of it. i agree about not entering awards competitions. not necessary. just don't do it.

Dec 6, 07 10:59 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

yes, the quality of the light is phenomenal. really nice to see the typical seattle lot done in an interesting way.

Dec 6, 07 11:10 pm  · 
 · 

I would take that house over typical QA any day! But the wall around the lot is pretty stand-offish. One of the things I like most about Seattle neighborhoods is that they look pretty friendly and aren't sectioned off by fences as frequently as other places I've lived were.

Dec 6, 07 11:36 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

winter semester UW schedule (sucks)

Christof Jantzen, Behnisch Architects, Stuttgart, Boston, Venice
Sustainable Strategies between Europe and North America
January 30, 2008, 6:30 pm, Architecture Hall 147

R yue Nishizawa SANAA – Sejima + Nishizawa, Tokyo
Recent Works
February 9, 2008, 5:00 pm, Kane Hall 130

Jeffrey OcOchsner University of Washington, Seattle
Inspiring Design: Lionel H. Pries as Architect and Teacher 1st Annual Dean’s Distinguished Lecture
February 13, 2008, 6:30 pm, Architecture Hall 147

Mark Hinshaw LMN Architects, Seattle
True Urbanism: Living in and Near the Center
February 20, 2008, 6:30 pm, Architecture Hall 147

Jan 24, 08 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

hmmm.

so the SANAA lecture is going to be given by sejima...

and in a bold move, the "dub" is charging ($15 for non-students) to see the lecture...
awesome!

i'll be the one in the back w/ some 40s...

in other news, it might be time to move back east...

Feb 2, 08 9:50 pm  · 
 · 

bring a 40 for me!!!

Wait, why is there an architecture lecture on a Saturday night? Does this seem odd to anyone else? Methinks Saturday night lectures require some sort of after-party.

Feb 3, 08 3:13 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

did anyone else hit the sejima lecture? i think i understood 5 words before dozing off. lots of extended "uuuuhs" but the projects were phenomenal.

upcoming event:

einar jarmund of JVA is speaking @ SPL on thursday [space.city]

Mar 3, 08 2:14 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: