Archinect
anchor

Solarpunk

Wood Guy

A friend just introduced me to this term and shared this article: https://www.vice.com/amp/en/ar....

This 8-minute video is a good overview: 

I know it may seem naive, but I've been in dire need of some inspiration and this is doing it for me at the moment. Have others heard of this? Thoughts? 

Sep 4, 21 11:19 am

Some random thoughts.

I am more in tune with Dr. King's beloved community.

I had heard of the religion before.

A fundamental problem as I see it is no separation of church and state.

I have never been a fan of the arts and crafts movement. I like some of it of course but it is nothing I would do personally.

I am a big fan of combining positive psychology, architecture, and politics.

I think the ideas are too radical to work at this time. Not that many people would want to live in a commune.

In my opinion if this country would live up to its ideals a lot of the current problems would solve themselves. A lot of the ideals of this movement are the same as the ideals of this country.

Imo the beloved community is a better solution.

Sep 4, 21 11:24 pm  · 
1  · 
ivanmillya

I hadn't heard of this until you shared this video, WG. But it's something I've been pushing to incorporate into the firms I've worked at, and will certainly be a proponent of when the time comes for me to open my own practice.

Architecture of the past 100 years has been a violent act - from the collection of money used to fund it, to the land that gets scarred from demolition and site clearing, to the dangerous and horrific process of creating steel, aluminum, and concrete, to the dangerous labor conditions present on many job sites across the world.

Architecture of the next 100 years must change. It has to be more humble - proud of its workmanship, not of its sheer scale. It has to be helping the environment, not merely averaging out. It has to bring communities together instead of pushing them apart with 1/2 acre lots and 6,000 square foot hermetically sealed prison cells.

Sep 7, 21 6:58 am  · 
2  · 
keremaydin

I believe the Solarpunk idea, like many other utopias, is more of a feeling than an actual movement. The feeling it excites in me is to be one with nature, which is being mostly, at peace. Solarpunk aesthetic I think come about when that feeling is taken to it's extreme. 

What is different in solarpunk than other peaceful utopias is solarpunk keeps the technology alongside human and nature, which is like, okey we came this far with technology let's not get away with it but learn to integrate it in a wholistic system of togetherness.

I love the aesthetics of it, and Solarpunk idea inspires me to question how our artificial systems can be better integrated with the broader system of nature.

May 3, 24 5:34 pm  · 
3  · 
JonathanLivingston

Thanks for the share WG

May 4, 24 2:23 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

It was nearly 3 years ago and I haven't done anything with it yet, but I still think it's a neat idea.

May 6, 24 10:54 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: