Really?

Aug 29, 08 10:29 am
drums please, Fab?

if he don't pick mitt
he better pick a chick

Aug 29, 08 10:33 am  · 
 · 
Ea™e

They said last night that there would be "No official Leaks" before noon EST today. So even a leak the Romney was NOT chosen, before then, means nothing.
I'm guessing is is Actually Romney.
No Leaks means no leaks, one way or the other.

Aug 29, 08 10:35 am  · 
 · 
lletdownl

Snap judments...

If your primary argument against Obama is that hes inexperienced and unready to lead, why select a running mate who is even less experienced?

If McCain thinks putting a women on the ticket will help him court suburban/independent/disgrunteled clintonistas... how much pandering is acceptable? How obvious a carrot on a stick situation will voters accept?

I find it interesting that while both McCain and Obama deny they have 'weakness' in the areas they attack each other on, they both select running mates that fit that weakness exactly. Biden (foreign policy and legislative experience) and Palin (enthusiasm? freshness?)

lastly

Isnt Alaska disturbingly corrupt at the moment? Isnt Ted Stevens facing possible jail time? Are there not shady back room oil deals, off shore drilling lobbys and pipeline land rights flying all over the place in that state house?
For Palin's sake, i hope not...

· 
lletdownl

Politico has declared that Palin is the pick... they are usually right on their breaking stories

· 
treekiller

NPR reported the rumor.
hah! so that is the sort of judgment McCain has.

Aug 29, 08 10:40 am  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

i like the move

but i know nothing about her - i think that will change (i hope)

Aug 29, 08 10:41 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Looks like CNN is confirming it.

Let's see.... Rabidly anti-abortion, mired in a rapidly-exploding ethics scandal involving abuse of power, her hubby works for an oil company, and it appears that her biggest qualification for the job is that she has a vagina. Sounds like the perfect GOP veep choice.

Aug 29, 08 10:42 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

just occurred to me that she will be a mini-chaney when it comes to energy policy. can't get any more in bed with big oil then chaney.

Aug 29, 08 10:44 am  · 
 · 
lletdownl

the Tribune reports it, but GOP has yet to verify

Politico is siting the Tribune story

[http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/politics/chi-sarah-palin,0,5024579.story]Tribune Story[/url]

Aug 29, 08 10:44 am  · 
 · 
lletdownl
Dang it...
Aug 29, 08 10:45 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

confirmed. what a joke! what happens to the experience argument now? McSame is 72 today, has had multiple skin cancers. she's pro-life and this will attract HRC voters? drilling in ANWAR check.

Aug 29, 08 10:46 am  · 
 · 
citizen

The intelligence and patience to discover actual facts (one way or the other) is so thick in here, you could cut it with a knife.

Aug 29, 08 10:51 am  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

we're finally going to drill in ANWAR? good!

Aug 29, 08 10:58 am  · 
 · 
babs

I'm clearly not a Republican in this election, but I do recommend that you at least read the wikipedia entry on this woman before posting your views here!

It might be useful to have an informed discussion on this topic.

Aug 29, 08 10:58 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I wonder if she is good friends with Ed Stevens....maybe she can get him appointed as Secretary of the Interior....and damn then we could finally open up the Artic to full blown drilling.

I was also wondering if she gets an Alaska Check for each Kid.

Aug 29, 08 11:01 am  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

this is a brilliant choice

i'm back on for McChange!

Aug 29, 08 11:02 am  · 
 · 
lletdownl

wow... i love wikipedia...

"Palin will be the second female major party nominee for Vice President (the first was Democrat Geraldine Ferraro in 1984) and the first Republican."

that line is already in her bio!

Aug 29, 08 11:04 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

mmm, she's kinda milfish. I wish Obama's pick was that cute.

Aug 29, 08 11:05 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

wikipedia, as fact checker? now i've heard everything.

Aug 29, 08 11:15 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Palin is strongly pro-life and belongs to Feminists for Life.[12]

She opposes same-sex marriage, but she has stated that she has gay friends and is receptive to gay and lesbian concerns about discrimination.[12] While the previous administration did not implement same-sex benefits, Palin complied with a state Supreme Court order and signed them into law.[32] She supported a democratic advisory vote from the public on whether there should be a constitutional amendment on the matter.[33] Alaska was one of the first U.S. states to pass a constitutional ban on gay marriage, in 1998, along with Hawaii.[34]

Palin's first veto was used to block legislation that would have barred the state from granting benefits to the partners of gay state employees. In effect, her veto granted State of Alaska benefits to same-sex couples. The veto occurred after Palin consulted with Alaska's attorney general on the constitutionality of the legislation.[35]

Wikipedia

How you like them apples.

Aug 29, 08 11:17 am  · 
 · 
citizen

We are doomed if Wikipedia is our main source of information...

http://www.wikipedia-watch.org/

Aug 29, 08 11:19 am  · 
 · 
Gravitas

Actually, NPR had reported that earlier this morning she was listed on her wikipedia entry as being the Republican VP candidate. But by the time of the report it had been removed, but apparently it's back up now. Smart gal.....

Aug 29, 08 11:19 am  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

she killed ted stevens 'bridge to nowhere' and exposed other corrupt politicians. this is good!

Aug 29, 08 11:24 am  · 
 · 
blah

She's a creationist.

http://scienceblogs.com/afarensis/2006/10/27/intelligent_design_and_the_ala/

The volatile issue of teaching creation science in public schools popped up in the Alaska governor's race this week when Republican Sarah Palin said she thinks creationism should be taught alongside evolution in the state's public classrooms.
Palin was answering a question from the moderator near the conclusion of Wednesday night's televised debate on KAKM Channel 7 when she said, 'Teach both. You know, don't be afraid of information. Healthy debate is so important, and it's so valuable in our schools. I am a proponent of teaching both.'

That's not good. That's GREAT!!!!!

Aug 29, 08 11:35 am  · 
 · 
chupacabra

uh...yeah...awesome....

Aug 29, 08 11:40 am  · 
 · 

Yes! Teach the Controversy!

(jk)

Aug 29, 08 11:43 am  · 
 · 
lletdownl

if teaching creationism becomes an issue in this election i might explode.... actually... i will explode

Aug 29, 08 11:44 am  · 
 · 

Booo...

Obviously an attempt to steal PUMA votes from Obama/Biden however once they find out she is pro-life i don't see how that will work and she has limited less than 2 years of major political experience and then in the state of Alaska.
So how does McCain make the experience arguement now???

But she is a foxy MILf.

Aug 29, 08 11:45 am  · 
 · 
lletdownl

the Politico article about Palin brings up a good point.

How will Biden be allowed to debate her? its clear that his aggressive style will not play well. No matter the desire for equality, an older white man being verbaly strong with a young white woman, even in a political debate, will not be recived well.

remember how hillary was always talking about being picked on by the boys? that was HILLARY CLINTON! possibly one of the most hard core politicians in the nation...

i can definitely envision a scenario where biden crosses some line by accident and gets absolutely hammered for it afterwards.

i hate to say it, but i feel like Palin is the perfect antidote to neutralizing the Biden threat. With standing in between Biden and McCain, Biden will have to measure his attacks much more than he would have before.

Aug 29, 08 11:52 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

Palin sort of looks like an alaska version of LB ;-)

Aug 29, 08 11:54 am  · 
 · 
Workshop B

Best part about her is she starred in Baby Mama

Aug 29, 08 11:56 am  · 
 · 
med.

Barack Obama is going to be an outstanding President.

Aug 29, 08 11:57 am  · 
 · 
lletdownl

ok ok, how bout we keep this conversation on the merits of Palin's vice presidency and how it reflects on McCains campaign...

yes yes, she was runner up Ms Alaska, and she does sort of look like tina fey... lets move on

Aug 29, 08 11:57 am  · 
 · 
Workshop B

Maybe thats the point...those are her merits and it reflects well on McCain's inability to make sound judgements!

Aug 29, 08 11:59 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Biden will eat her lunch.

Aug 29, 08 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

Isn't it possible that Palin will find it difficult to get a word in edge wise? Biden might be able to make her look childish and "out of her league" if he commands the stage and conversation, regardless if he is especially aggressive or not. Anyone heard her speak before?

Aug 29, 08 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

hahah, good point archa

beta, you really think Biden will be allowed to eat her lunch?
just an as example,
i lived for quite a while in the suburbs...

do you really think suburban women will LET biden eat Palins lunch?
i think they will feel she is being picked on no matter what biden says... its seems unavoidable that someone will make the case that Biden is trying to take advantage of Palin in some way... or he'll say something that can be construed as sexist... theres no way around it, and it does nothing but put Biden in a tough spot. He WILL NOT be able to speak straight with her...

we are secure enough to elect an african american president, but we are not secure enough to allow men to talk to women as men would talk to men in the political arena...

thats sounds horrible for me to say, but i feel like its still the truth...

Aug 29, 08 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
Workshop B

They're walking contradictions...she wants to drill in ANWAR, McCain opposes it. At the same time she's trying to enact "climate change policy" whatever that means as you drill in Alaska. Doesn't help that her husband is in the oil production business. I'm sure she'll fight hard for alternatives to oil.

Sounds like the potential McCain administration could be more dangerous than ever!

Ok, enough about that...back to Tina Faye jokes.

Aug 29, 08 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Biden will eat her lunch and feed her cake, then off to the guillotine.

Aug 29, 08 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

we shall see

Aug 29, 08 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

for once, this will be an interesting couple of months of debates

Aug 29, 08 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
Elimelech

It is obvious and patronizing pandering to HRC voters, but I have to say that I am a bit scared.

This election got tougher for Obama, I guess we may have to work harder.

Aug 29, 08 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

isn't McCrony a little worried she might be something of a trollop?

Aug 29, 08 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

hardcore homophobe! pumper, anti-environmentalist.

if i want any woman its Cynthia McKinney.

Aug 29, 08 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

the population of alaska is smaller then St. Paul MN. How is she qualified?

Aug 29, 08 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

she doesn't even know what the job of the vice president is.

Aug 29, 08 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
Workshop B

She is an avid hunter...lets just hope she doesn't shoot someone in the face too!

Aug 29, 08 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

her brother in law the police officer she had fired most likely

Aug 29, 08 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

McCain being the misogynist he is, this could get ugly. who needs a white house aide when you have a VP

Aug 29, 08 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I'm so disgusted by this pick I can hardly string two words together. I seriously considered voting for McCain back in 2000 because I felt he was principled and independent. In the last 8 years he has so completely shattered that illusion - he's proven himself to be interested in nothing beyond "getting elected" and if that means selling out everything he once stood for he apparently has no problem.

He's transparent, patriarchal, ignoble, and old. And in this case, old does equal incapable.

And yet, I fear there are enough stupid, backward, racist yahoos in this country that he's going to be elected anyway. I'm very fearful.

Aug 29, 08 12:56 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: