Archinect
anchor

Sarah Palin???

ReflexiveSpace

McCain has been trying to win over disenchanted Hillary voters for a while now, really making a major effort out of it. This is the number one reason why she was chosen. Thats one of the biggest groups that polls (don't get me started on whether or not they have any merit) say are up for grabs at this moment. However this was the stupidest choice he could have made. It destroys his experience argument, she has far less experience than the supposedly inexperienced Obama. It called all women voters stupid as if they would vote for someone only because shes a woman. It highlights John McCain's loss of maverick status that hes trying to bring aboard someone who bucked some Republican in Alaska (though in the end not much).

McCain had to pick a VP who was undoubtedly ready to be president right now due to his age. The chances that this VP could become president are greater than any time before.

Instead he tried a desperate move.

Shes inexperienced.
Her hiding of facts and presenting a case totally contrary to the information she received in the polar bear issue to help big oil is like she recieved her starter "Cheney kit" when she was elected.
Although we don't have all the facts it appears she had two people fired because of personal issues with her sister. (this should be verified before people jump down her throat but the fact thats she under investigation does not bode well)

and my favorite quote
""[A]s for that V.P. talk all the time, I’ll tell you, I still can’t answer that question until somebody answers for me what is it exactly that the V.P. does every day?"

Pretty much sums it up.

Aug 29, 08 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
Elimelech

FRaC, on contraire, it is Obama vs. Palin, McCain is too old. I hate to put it bluntly, but the man with cancer history and multiple medical problems needed a strong yet flexible veep, he simply did not get that. Condi Rice or someone with strong credentials would have been a better choice.

I think that they may have chosen her because she is so below average, she WILL be attacked, she looks like a cheerleader, she looks like prof. McCain's favorite grad student, and people will say it, and they will scream SEXISM!

You loo

Aug 29, 08 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

unfortunately, bush has ruined any chance of condi ever becoming president or vice president. condi made the decision to go along with bush so it's partly her fault as well.

i had a dream, back in the good ole days of '00, and it was for colin powell to become president in 2008. but that was before the iraq mistake and the horrible incompetence of the bush administration.

Aug 29, 08 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

FRAC, I get what you're saying, and to a certain degree I can understand your point. This is a race between Obama and McCain. Realistically, if Obama wins Biden can't run for president until 2016 and by then he'll be 73, so I don't see this as a stepping stone for him. That having been said, should something happen to Obama, Biden would be a very capable president, and one whose views seem in line with the majority of Americans according to recent polling. Should McCain win, however, and should something happen to him (which seems much more likely given his age and health history), someone much less informed and experienced than Obama, and someone whose views are far to the right of most Americans (and even McCain) would become president. I can't say for sure what McCain's motives are, but I think it would be very difficult to make a strong argument that she was selected because of her abilities or preparedness, but rather to seem edgy and seek a largely portion of the female vote, and to reassure an anxious conservative base. That McCain would use the importance of selecting a potential president based on that criteria seems reckless and irresponsible. I think it very clearly illustrates McCain's dangerous reactionary nature and his willingness to stoop very low to win. I think jhooper is right: she's a lot like the Harriet Miers selection for Supreme Court: unqualified and chosen based on ideology.

Aug 29, 08 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
farwest1

FRAC, I understand your position. Some of what you've said in various posts here has been pretty offensive. But personal attacks are never in order, so I apologize (McCain campaign, take a note!)

However. You have to admit that there are many many republicans whose hearts sank when they heard this news. And many more repubs who said "what the hell?!?") This is a blow to John McCain's own party, turning down a rostrum of capable candidates for an unknown, and not only that, an unknown with no experience, and not only that, an unknown facing a whole mess of scandals and corruption charges.

What I said about Governor Palin is all true. She'd be one facial mole away from the presidency, and that would scare the living shit out of me. She is no Condi Rice, Hillary Clinton, Kay Bailey Hutchinson, or any other female politician.

Aug 29, 08 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
oe

'who do i want negotiating with china and russia?'

See, it boggles my mind how easily it slips peoples mind that McCain is a psychopath.

Aug 29, 08 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

FRaC, I also like what you said about Powell and Rice. I disagree very strongly with them ideologically, and I think both (though much moreso Rice) have sort of screwed themselves by going along with Bush when they probably knew better. I think they are both incredibly intelligent, and probably quite pragmatic, and got bogged down in an overly ideological administration. I'd feel much more comfortable with the possibility of Obama losing to either of them than McCain/Palin, both of whom seem out-of-touch and incompetent to me, to be honest.

Aug 29, 08 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio

Michael Palin: one of the all time funny comedians.

Sarah Palin?: meh...

This is probably the worst choice of a running mate since Dan Quayle (and I don't care if FRAC gets dizzy trying to spin this). Total cop out and transparent manouver on McLackofBrain's part.

Aug 29, 08 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

i wonder if cindy might be a bit nervous now.

Aug 29, 08 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Y'all are retarded for even comparing Palin and Obama, why aren't you guys comparing Palin and Biden?

Aug 29, 08 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

of course watch mccain stare at her ass and touch his ring?

Aug 29, 08 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

Free Ramos and Compean = completely delusional

Aug 29, 08 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

I know, even in a VP choose, he can't resist a younger woman.

McCAIN/TROLLOP 2008

Politically pandering first!

Aug 29, 08 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
farwest1

We're comparing Palin and Obama because your buddy FRaC brought it up.

I Hope MCain takes Palin to Sturgis next year for the Buffalo Chip competition.

Aug 29, 08 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
ReflexiveSpace

We aren't really comparing Palin to Obama but questioning her as a possible president. This is an important question because if elected McCain will be the oldest president ever elected who also has a history of health problems including multiple run ins with cancer. His VP will have one of the largest chances of any VP in recent memory to have to take over the presidency to to death or illness.

Aug 29, 08 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

when's the last time there's been a good vp or vp nominee? al gore was o.k. but i think we'd have to go back to the first george bush to find someone truly experienced enough to be vp.

Aug 29, 08 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
oe

I do have to say, McCain knows how to surround himself with some fine-ass bitches.

I mean that in the most sensitive, feminist way possible.

Aug 29, 08 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

oh of course

Aug 29, 08 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
farwest1

Yeah, I thought Dick Cheney's vice president, George W. Bush, sucked.

Aug 29, 08 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
oe

It'll put a nice glow on the RNC convention. Whether that glow will be bright enough to outshine the rioters burning the city around them or Katrina II wiping out the gulf coast is another question..

Aug 29, 08 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

is recreate '68 going to st. paul, too?

Aug 29, 08 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

POW/MILF 08'

Aug 29, 08 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

who wants to wager on how low the RNC ratings are going to be

the anarchists are going to st paul i know that much

watch www.democracynow.org

Aug 29, 08 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
farwest1

Even lower if a hurricane hits.

And I think it's POW/VPILF '08.

Aug 29, 08 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

pow/milf has a much nicer ring to it though...

Aug 29, 08 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

yeah, just milf...it's not ppow...heh...Vonnegut is somewhere laughing his arse off.

Aug 29, 08 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

isn't he more an unindited war criminal like bush? having bombed countless civilians, crashing 5 planes and working with the 'enemy' to make propaganda?

Aug 29, 08 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

Anti is it your belief that vietnam vets are war criminals?

Aug 29, 08 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
mfrech

just latching on to the thread...

oh, and BPBPBPBPBPBPBPBPBPBPBPBP!

Aug 29, 08 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Sarah P I guess she wasn't always conservative. I can't imagine how hot blooded one has to be to be without clothes in Alaska...and damn she looks comfortable.

Aug 29, 08 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

MMMM, I approve.

Aug 29, 08 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

OldyBalls and Hotmoms '08!

Aug 29, 08 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

her 5 kids names:

Track, Bristol, Willow, Piper Indy, Trig

Aug 29, 08 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

Is her husband Dog the bounty hunter?

Aug 29, 08 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

no - but her husband, Todd, is one-eighth Yup'ik

Aug 29, 08 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

And I am 1/8 Tonkawa...so. welcome to America in the west.

She seems to enjoy hunting Wolves and Bears from planes and is not interested in public votes on the topic...anti polar bear too...more fur coats and beauty pageants for everyone.

less wolves...bye wolves.

Aug 29, 08 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

werd to yer mutha; Tom Delay and Rick "Frothy Mixture" Santorum will be in St. Paul next Wednesday, and guess what? I am signed up to go their conference of hate. bring it biyatches, and Dan Savage, i got your back.

She's the Dan Quayle of 2008.

Aug 29, 08 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Can't wait for the photos of her at the frat parties...

Aug 29, 08 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
blah

Think of all the new jobs we can create with the new "Creationist" position at every elementary, middle and high school in the country!!!

Now that's McChange!!!

Aug 29, 08 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio

I swear, if they win, hell, if they even come close to winning, I'm gonna blow my brains out, I can't take it anymore.

I could move to Italy, but Berlusconi is.....aw, forget it.

Aug 29, 08 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
Elimelech

What have we learned about Palin today:

-[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEUG0XZ9OpY]
She mocked Hillary[/url]
-She doesnt have a clue of foreign policy
-No one (not even McCain who has talked to her 3 times) really knows her or her record

Did McCain really choose her (late last night) only to win the news cycle against Obama? Is he this shallow? Can we let him run this country if this is what he thinks of government and GOVERNING?

The new VP smell will fade soon and this will be seen as a great mistake (Harriet Miers anyone?). At the end, it may be that the right simply does not get it.

Aug 29, 08 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

how bout michael palin????

Aug 29, 08 8:08 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

now THAT is a Palin we can all get behind.....KKKKKen

Aug 29, 08 8:10 pm  · 
 · 
blah

Here's Sarah Palin praising Obama's energy plan:

http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:wbCGTUeD1r0J:www.gov.state.ak.us/news.php%3Fid%3D1384+%22question+the+means+to+pay+for+Obama%92s+proposed+rebate%22&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=4&gl=us&client=safari

It was scrubbed from her government website yesterday.

Also, it seems there was a scandal over a sports complex that the town is in a great deal of debt over:

http://www.adn.com/matsu/story/474934.html

Aug 29, 08 8:37 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

in addition to that, makeA, her wiki entry was scrubbed yesterday as well.

Aug 29, 08 11:12 pm  · 
 · 

I agree with most everything you all have mentioned. I would like to add that I like her hair and her glasses.

That said, this is clearly a hail mary pass by McCain. She's cute but she won't be around for long....we hope.

Aug 29, 08 11:34 pm  · 
 · 
mfrech

the daily show and colbert played a clip from her a few months ago, when asked about the VP buzz, she said she couldn't comment on it until someone answered the question for her, "what exactly it is that a VP does."

priceless.

Aug 29, 08 11:41 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

I wonder if McCain calls her a cunt as well?

Aug 29, 08 11:56 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK
Would somebody please tell her that she's sitting on a bear?!?

I have decided that A) I like her and B) I don't want her anywhere near the presidency. However, the comedy writers must be loving this.

I am also excited because we get to test the notion that beauty pageant winners have a brain. OK, so she was runner-up, still ... can she give a stump speech? AND understand what she's saying?

Aug 30, 08 1:53 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

along w/ a bedazzled crab on her coffee table...

wtf?

Aug 30, 08 2:06 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: