· 
mdler

holz

I think she gots the crab in Ballard

Aug 30, 08 2:35 am  · 
 · 
oe

"no - but her husband, Todd, is one-eighth Yup'ik"

A fuckin eighth??? Yo Im a fuckin eighth. I dont go around calling myself penobscot.

Aug 30, 08 4:06 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

one nasty crab, mdler...

lessee...

her husband thinks he's napoleon...

her younger daughter is angry because she hasn't been given her promised [pony ride/barbie/etc]...

her older daughter is knocked up...

her oldest son is "about to ship off to iraq" - even though he's currently the army recruit for wasila, ak...

good times!!

at least she's anti-science/pro-drilling. and has no experience. and no education. but but but - she almost won a beauty pageant!
dear god, she's the female gwb.

the religious right will eat her up. biden will eat her alive.

Aug 30, 08 4:35 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

McCain got what he wanted, which was a jolt of adrenaline injected into the campaign. I mean, just like the guy on Fox News said, she DOES know something about foreign relations because she's right up there in Alaska, next to Russia! (watch the Daily Show video - hilarious)

Aug 30, 08 11:47 am  · 
 · 
mfrech

i'd like to take a "deucey" on steeve doocy. figuratively speaking, of course. what a tool.

Aug 30, 08 11:50 am  · 
 · 
blah

In an interview with the right-wing site NewsMax, Sarah Palin gave a scientific pronouncement that goes against John McCain's own stated position as well as most credible scientists. On global warming: "I'm not one though who would attribute it to being man-made."

http://www.newsmax.com/headlines/sarah_palin_vp/2008/08/29/126139.html

Aug 30, 08 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

anyone, and i mean ANYONE, that believes Creationism should be taught side-by-side with Evolution, should not even have been elected to a city council, let alone Mayor, or Governor.

anyone here, on Archinect, that believes this absurd position, is not even worth debating.

Aug 30, 08 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

The most important piece of Legislation she has railroaded thru since governor of alaska, has to do with a $500,000,000.00 hand out to a
Canadian Company to build a Natural Gas Pipe line from the North Slope. I wonder how much other money she would be willing to outsource to foreign governments given the opportunity. Oh ya and it is my understanding the lobbist who represented the Canadian Company is now one of her insiders. I don't know she smells a little fishy if you ask me.

I just learned one of a my female cousins resides in her home town so I have been checking her blog, just to see if they have ever arm wrestled. My cousin could out arm wrestle most of guys she went to school with.

Aug 30, 08 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

wait, her 17 year old daughter is knocked up? where'd you read that?

still....

http://vpilf.com/

Aug 30, 08 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
bRink

Ya it's a hail mary... First impression is that it is like political pandering to try to pick up some PUMA voters, but lets wait and see what she stands for...

Still, I'd have to say, choice of VP is the most important single decision that a presidential candidate has to make, so this choice says alot about the candidate's judgement and the candidate's sense of leadership. I'm curious to see where McCain came from with this choice... Was it a political choice, strictly political pandering, or did he make the choice based on who he thinks is the best person to lead the country?

It's also possible he tried to pick a candidate who could do no harm, somebody who won't turn off any of his constituent groups either way, as basically, she's an unknown...

Aug 30, 08 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

manamana - family friend is a hard core alaskan libertarian. also an avid outdoorsman.

he said there have been ruminations the last few months about why she took her daughter out of school, and that the biggest reason was due to (gasp) teenage pregnancy.

but i hear that's what happens when you choose to not teach sex-ed and leave the exploring and teachin to the kids...

Aug 30, 08 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i was thinking about this earlier today and i feel the way to attack Mc Same's choice is by attacking the VP's positions, and not by complaining that this choice is pandering to HRC voters...

Aug 30, 08 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

oh and holz, remember it is ALASKA, not much to do but get drunk, shoot moose and for teens to have sex.

Aug 30, 08 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
bRink

FRAC

I recall seeing an interview with Colin Powell early on during the primaries, and while he said he would not endorse a candidate, he said he said he is not looking to vote based on party lines and that he is seriously looking at the candidates, and which person is best suited to bring about change.

The impression I got was that he was leaning towards Obama...

If Powell would even consider running with John McCain, I'd bet that he would have been on the ticket...

Powell%20on%20his%20choice%20for%20President]Powell on his choice for President

Aug 30, 08 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

well it would be interesting to see where Colin Powell stands today - at that time (feb 8) he was clearly on the fence. i don't think back then he was 'leaning' for anyone but said we we all should do which is to take a good look at all the candidates.

it's very clear that Powell would have been one of the top republicans and it's unfortunate that the best rarely run for president.

i remember back when Powell was secretary of state and reporters would ask about a run for president and he basically said 'i don't want to put my family through the mud-slinging and digging into our personal lives.' totally understandable, but for me a disappointment (and i'm just being selfish here because i like the guy so much).

and as i mentioned i think Condoleezza Rice could have made a great president but she's had to try and justify the incompetent bush administration for the past 8 years. she's done, way too close to bushy to come back (maybe 2016? she'll be 62 which is usually a good age for presidents .. i can still hope!).

i voted for both gore and then kerry the last two elections, so i have no problem voting for whoever i think is best. god i wish gore would have won in 2000. i actually voted for mccain in the 2000 primary, but my vote didn't count because i was a registered democrat at the time. damn i wish gore (or even mccain) would have won back then .. i seriously doubt either one would have gone into iraq. as bill oreilly said on inside edition, 'this fuckin' thing sucks!'. c'est la vie.

Aug 30, 08 5:38 pm  · 
 · 

The VPILF web site is pretty funny.

Also I'm just posting in an attempt to turn off the "Notify me when someone replies to this post" thing (I have no idea how it got turned on but it's annoying!).

Aug 30, 08 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
ReflexiveSpace

Its not that her 17 year old is pregnant its that there is considerable evidence building that her fifth child (the 4 month old one with down syndrome that the McCain camp keeps touting as being a great tribute to her no exception "abortion must be outlawed in every case" position) is actually her 16 year old daughters.
Some of the most damning evidence is pictures of her at 6 months not showing at all. She was about to give a speech in texas and supposedly her water broke and went into contractions and she then flew back to alaska to deliver. Also her daughter, actually 16 at the time of birth, was taken out of school for the last 5-6 months of her mothers pregnancy. All of that combines to paint a pretty compelling case.

On another note, the 2 papers in alaska (yes there are only 2 total) don't seem agree shes ready to be VP, or even feel shes all that good of a pick for VP in general.

Aug 30, 08 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
Elimelech

FRaC, I dont understand how you voted for Gore and Kerry and you are not voting for Obama. Obama is a stronger and clearer advocate for all the things they stood for. My personal biggest regret is to have voted for Nader in '00.

Palin seems to be igniting some on the right into action (I guess they REALLy wanted their own Obama), but some conservatives and a lot of independents are also pissed (as per talking to friends and reading some blogs). Women seem to find it a patronizing choice.

This rash and reckless decision by McCain seems to say something about how he views Obama. I think that somewhere in his confused mind he thinks Palin and Obama (and their rise to national politics) are similar. I think this is his biggest tactical mistake. Obama is more like a smarter Reagan, someone that can clearly argue for his side, while uniting the center and some in the other side.

Barack Obama would be the nominee if he were white Barry Obama smartly arguing for the things he is arguing for (this white Obama would be winning by double digits by now though). I am not sure paper-thin experience AK Gov Adam Palin would have been chosen to be McCain's VP.

Aug 31, 08 11:05 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

"She is a Partner and a Soul Mate" John Mcain.....damn I know he said it I heard him....(this is not bob dobs)

Aug 31, 08 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
bRink

sarah palin acceptance speach:
part 1 part 2

Would women really vote for her? I'm all for a woman in the white house, and I'll hold off judgement until the debates and I hear what she has to say, but I'm not sure disaffected clinton supporters would be brought over by palin because she's a woman... IMHO her speach sort of positions her as a washington outsider, but I'd have to say, it's pretty weak... The parts about her cutting property tax and reducing spending worked, but otherwise, what did she really say? She's talking alot about herself, but what does that have to do with the country? She needs to have a message... Is it me or did that opening anthem seem like a scene out of Legally Blonde or something? Because she is a new face, she really needs to impress on people more than that she is a soccer mom who became mayor and then governor and who is about cutting taxes and fiscal responsibility... She needs to show depth... Based purely on first impressions, the impression is that she is clearly no Hillary Clinton, or Barack Obama, or Joseph Biden, or John McCain sorry... Lets see though, I'm only telling it as I see it based on the footage...

Aug 31, 08 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
bRink

I wonder if this choice by McCain actually has the opposite effect than was intended...

It's possible that women might see John McCain's choice, propping up an unqualified and somewhat ditzy woman as the VP pick might be seen as patronizing... Sorry, a presidential campaign is the big leagues, she's a rookie out of the little league...

Hillary Clinton was impressive not because she was a woman, but because of what she accomplished in the white house and on the senate, as a strong campaigner, in debates, and on the campaign trail.

Palin's also no Obama, the comparison stops at *young*...

She and McCain ought not to pull a dan quayle:[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRCWbFFRpnY&feature=related[/url]

Aug 31, 08 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
bRink
lloyd bentsen vs. dan quayle debate
Aug 31, 08 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell
It's possible that women might see John McCain's choice, propping up an unqualified and somewhat ditzy woman as the VP pick might be seen as patronizing

That's exactly on target, bRink. The second I heard McCain picked a woman I felt insulted, when I heard who the woman is I felt - still feel - so offended I want to scream.

The more I learn about her the more I hate her and everything she stands for. I have no common ground with this woman even though we share the same genitalia. And that McCain's people - that anyone - would think the opposite would be true is idiotic.

Aug 31, 08 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

from what I've been reading, it was more to invigorate the religious right and republican base, which is seems to be doing.

“Palin=Guns, Babies, Jesus,” Rush Limbaugh (via Yahoo).

I think that pretty much sums it up. I am quite nauseous today. If he were to actually win I think I'd be quite sick.

Aug 31, 08 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

lb,

you share the same genitalia?

are you siamese twins? what's that like?

Aug 31, 08 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

ouch!

Aug 31, 08 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

did anyone watch the daily show clip about Palin that WonderK posted above???

Hysterical! and exactly the point bring and lb are making...

Here is the irony here... ive spoken to both of my parents about this pick. My dad being an all around conservative is a McCain fan, but also likes Obama but is not sold on his credentials. My mom being a fiscal conservative but social liberal is on board with Obama even more so now with the addition of Biden.

here is the interesting part... my dad finds the Palin pick acceptable. He doesnt see it as patronizing or even pandering. He sees it as an olive branch of sorts to the younger generation. My father is McCains age.
however, my mom feels pretty strongly that this puts the nail in McCains coffin. that it once and for all shows his lack of social understanding.

its interesting to see how intensely uncomfortable he looks when he delievers speechs, or when hes watching Palin speak. Its something i think will be further exposed by Palins care free nature. i dont see it helping him.

ps. hydrocodone makes it hard to formulate clear sentences
pps. when youre surgically reparied knee feels good enough to run on for the first time... do the right thing and wait till the drs tell you it will be ready... shoulda known better considering this is my 2nd one...
why am i talking about this?
im so confused...

GOBAMA!

Aug 31, 08 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
blah
Did Palin Really Fight The “Bridge To Nowhere”?

Republicans have been heavily touting Sarah Palin's reformist credentials, with her supposed opposition to Alaska's "Bridge to Nowhere" as Exhibit A. But how hard did she really fight the project? Not very, it seems. Here's what she told the Anchorage Daily News on October 22, 2006, during the race for the governor's seat (via Nexis):

5. Would you continue state funding for the proposed Knik Arm and Gravina Island bridges?

Yes. I would like to see Alaska's infrastructure projects built sooner rather than later. The window is now--while our congressional delegation is in a strong position to assist.

So she was very much for the bridge and insisted that Alaska had to act quickly—the party of Ted Stevens and Don Young might soon lose its majority, after all. By that point, the project was endangered for reasons that had nothing to do with Palin—the bridge had become a national laughingstock, Congress had stripped away the offending earmark, shifting the money back to the state's general fund, and future federal support seemed unlikely. True, after Palin was sworn into office that fall, her first budget didn't allocate any money for the bridge. But when the Daily News asked on December 16, 2006, if she now opposed the project, Palin demurred and said she was just trying to figure out where the bridge fit on the state's list of transportation priorities, given the lack of support from Congress. Finally, on September 19, 2007, she decided to redirect funds away from the project altogether with this sorry-sounding statement:

"Ketchikan desires a better way to reach the airport, but the $398 million bridge is not the answer," said Governor Palin. "Despite the work of our congressional delegation, we are about $329 million short of full funding for the bridge project, and it's clear that Congress has little interest in spending any more money on a bridge between Ketchikan and Gravina Island," Governor Palin added. "Much of the public's attitude toward Alaska bridges is based on inaccurate portrayals of the projects here. But we need to focus on what we can do, rather than fight over what has happened."

http://blogs.tnr.com/tnr/blogs/the_plank/archive/2008/08/29/did-palin-really-fight-the-bridge-to-nowhere.aspx

Aug 31, 08 7:38 pm  · 
 · 
blah

troopergate:

Sarah Palin's sister Molly married a guy named Mike Wooten who is an Alaska State Trooper. Mike and Molly had a rocky marriage. When the marriage broke up, there was a bitter custody fight that is still ongoing. During the custody investigation, all sorts of things were brought up about Wooten including the fact that he had illegally shot a moose (yes folks this is Alaska), driven drunk, and used a taser (on the test setting, he reminds us) on his 11-year old stepson, who supposedly had asked to see what it felt like. While Wooten has turned out to be a less than stellar figure, the fact that Palin's father accompanied him on the infamous moose hunt, and that many of the dozens of charges brought up by the Palin family happened long before they were ever reported smacked of desperate custody fight. Wooten's story is that he was basically stalked by the family.

After all this, Wooten was investigated and disciplined on two counts and allowed to kept his position with the troopers. Enter Walt Monegan, Palin's appointed new chief of the Department of Public Safety and head of the troopers. Monegan was beloved by the troopers, did a bang-up job with minimal funding and suddenly got axed. Palin was out of town and Monegan got "offered another job" (aka fired) with no explanation to Alaskans. Pressure was put on the governor to give details, because rumors started to swirl around the fact that the highly respected Monegan was fired because he refused to fire the aforementioned Mike Wooten. Palin vehemently denied ever talking to Monegan or pressuring Monegan in any way to fire Wooten, or that anyone on her staff did. Over the weeks it has come out that not only was pressure applied, there were literally dozens of conversations in which pressure was applied to fire him. Monegan has testified to this fact, spurring an ongoing investigation by the Alaska state legislature. But, before this investigation got underway, Palin sent the Alaska State Attorney General out to do some investigative work of his own so she could find out in advance what the real investigation was going to find. (No, I'm not making this up). The AG interviewed several people, unbeknownst to the actual appointed investigator or the Legislature! Palin's investigation of herself uncovered a recorded phone call retained by the Alaska State Troopers from Frank Bailey, a Palin underling, putting pressure on a trooper about the Wooten non-firing. Todd Palin (governor's husband) even talked to Monegan himself in Palin's office while she was away. Bailey is now on paid administrative leave.

As if this weren't enough, Monegan's appointed replacement Chuck Kopp, turns out to have been the center of his own little scandal. He received a letter of reprimand and was reassigned after sexual harrassment allegations by a former coworker who didn't like all the unwanted kissing and hugging in the office. Was he vetted? Obviously not. When he was questioned about all this, his comment was that no one had asked him and he thought they all knew. Kopp, defiant, still claimed to have done nothing wrong and said to the press that there was no way he was stepping down from his new position. Twenty four hours later, he stepped down. Later it was uncovered that he received a $10,000 severance package for his two weeks on the job from Palin. Monegan got nothing.

Aug 31, 08 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

somewhat off topic here, but this thread seems to be most active right now, have any of you read McCain's books? Are they really just works by Mark Salter with McCain's name on the side? What is the consensus here, worth reading? which one(s)?

Aug 31, 08 9:17 pm  · 
 · 
upside

I know you guys are mainly focused on the campaign implications of this choice, which is fair enough, but outside the US the reaction to Palin has been very nervous. for the rest of us, particularly from countries with troops (admittedly in small numbers) in conflicts alongside your own, the foreign policy credentials of your administration are incredibly important, which is why Rice, Powell and Armitage have always been well received regardless of the rest of the administration.

the current mood in the government and press in Australia is that we would probably have to rethink the closeness of our relationship in the advent of a McCain/Palin win, particularly in situations involving troops.

Aug 31, 08 9:32 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

but upside...

her proximity to russia makes her "more than" qualified w/ foreign experience... that and a grump old man that just wants to blow up half the world.

Aug 31, 08 9:52 pm  · 
 · 
upside

yep, and my proximity to Antarctica makes me an expert on penguins...

also, I’m not getting the 'hotness' thing...I know things get a bit messed up during an election but really?

Sep 1, 08 12:23 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

I'm not taking anything for granted. If this all falls apart and McCain/Palin win, I'm going with one of two conclusions: A) they really have rigged the elections as I suspected in 2000 and 2004, and, as an acquaintance told me, then we deserve to be invaded just like any corrupt country with bogus elections; or B) if the majority of people in this country want it to fail, then they deserve John McCain, and fail is what they will get.

Most of us here have marketable skills that we could use in other parts of the world that actually want to see progress. If the United States doesn't want progress, then perhaps our great experiment of a country has failed, and perhaps we should find someplace that does want progress.

Sep 1, 08 5:44 am  · 
 · 
trace™

Maybe we can all move to Canada. Or somewhere like the Bahama's wouldn't be too bad.

Sep 1, 08 9:44 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Here is a interesting article about Mcain and his and the Vp moves over the past couple of days.

http://www.motherjones.com/mojoblog/archives/2008/04/8059_john_mccains_mi.html

I do recall there was some bizzare connection about providing temporary housing from some group from Alaska for those who took the last hit in New Orleans. I'm wondering if those were all the moldy FEMA trailors?

Sep 1, 08 10:02 am  · 
 · 
mfrech

palin trying to equate herself with hillary clinton on friday, or hell, even mentioning those 18 million cracks in the glass ceiling was fucking absurd. anyone who thinks she's picking up where senator clinton has left off is a mo-ron.

i think someone's already pointed it out, but joe biden might have to pull a lloyd bentsen debate smackdown..."Governor, you're no Hillary Clinton."

Sep 1, 08 10:10 am  · 
 · 
farwest1

FRAC,

I'm just curious how you underwent such a change politically. Most of what I've read from you here seems to be firmly on the conservative side. But you say you voted for both Gore and Kerry.

Yet now (I'm assuming) you're against Obama and for McCain. I suppose people change. I've felt my views shift a bit over the years. I used to be to the far left, and now I'm much more centrist. I might even have voted for the MCain of 2000 (though not over Gore, who I thought was the most promising presidential candidate the democrats put up since Kennedy. The guy was just socially awkward.)

But now McCain has morphed into a creature of the far-right.

So...how or why did you shift to the right?

Sep 1, 08 11:43 am  · 
 · 
farwest1

WonderK,

There's a third possibility, if McCain/Palin are elected, C) the majority of people in this country aren't smart enough to understand the causal relationship between policies and what happens in the world. They vote for who they'd like to have at their backyard barbeque rather than who is smart enough to understand global and economic dynamics.

I'm not saying I'm smart, but I'm smart enough to know that electing a Vice President who's served less than two years and was previously the mayor of a 7000 person town is fairly risky for the world's only superpower.

Sep 1, 08 11:51 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I think this is an interesting statement from the Gov.

Palin arrived in Minnesota to prepare for her acceptance speech on Wednesday while the campaign released a statement from Palin and her husband Todd saying their daughter Bristol, 17, was pregnant and was going to keep the baby and marry the father.

"We're proud of Bristol's decision to have her baby and even prouder to become grandparents," the Palins said in the statement. "As Bristol faces the responsibilities of adulthood, she knows she has our unconditional love and support."

I kinda doubt being a christian she was going to kick her out on the street with her boyfriend.

Sep 1, 08 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

no, but this proves that abstinence only education works. seriously...

clowns.

Sep 1, 08 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Well, I think that the statement she released - “Our beautiful daughter Bristol came to us with news that as parents we knew would make her grow up faster than we had ever planned” was a very responsible and caring thing to say. I think, I'm not sure, but I think the teenage pregnancy rate in Alaska is much higher than most of the rest of the nation, go figure.

That said, they seem like good people and a caring family, so it's best to stay away from personal attacks. What we've got to focus on is the ideological divide ... go with the team that has not only experience and the know-how, but the vision to take this country solidly into the 21st century? Or go with more of the same? We simply cannot afford more of the same.

Sep 1, 08 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

OMG I'm STILL getting notifications about this thread. It's driving me crazy.

Sep 1, 08 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Let's see if this works.

Sep 1, 08 2:48 pm  · 
 · 

Maybe now we can put the whole "Obama as a secret Muslim" thing behind us.

Sep 1, 08 2:51 pm  · 
 · 

PS. Godspeed to the people of NOLA ... the timing of this hurricane is almost cosmic, as if to say, "Remember New Orleans, Republican Party? Did you think the problem would go away?"

Sep 1, 08 2:53 pm  · 
 · 

i wish obama was a muslim like muhammad ali is.

Sep 1, 08 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

farwest1

I dont think US is the only superpower....

Sep 1, 08 3:16 pm  · 
 · 

So, she's got a pregnant teenage daughter, and she tried to get her ex brother-in-law fired for being a jerk to her sister?

Have you all met the rest of America? They're gonna love this woman!

We're doomed.

Sep 1, 08 3:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: