Archinect
anchor

A Great Adventure

mdler

VADO RETRO DAY CARE - we will have your kids doing AutoCad in no time!!!!

Jul 13, 07 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

"butt cramp" = Sciatica?

Jul 13, 07 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Ahh, very good W2D - I've only ever experienced sciatica pain when I was pregnant - thankfully it was short-lived.

Jul 13, 07 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
KEG
yoga works

, but I don't know the rules when pregnant.

Jul 13, 07 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

i have seen women 9 months pregnant do full head stands in yoga class

Jul 13, 07 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
some person

no offense to those who like yoga, but I much prefer pilates (it's more of a personal preference; pilates is just easier for me in terms of balance and shifting to different stretches) I do pilates at the onset of any backpain from sitting in an office chair for too long. I found the use of a sponge ball to be beneficial. You're supposed to lie on the ground, place the ball under your lower back, and to the prescribed exercises.

Jul 15, 07 8:04 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

So the weekend was good and bad. Husband and I took the Cobra on a Corvette cruise, and since we couldnt use the AC, I felt crappy. You overheat easily when you're in this predicament.

I slept one night in a different room than Husband to see if I could finally sleep. It helped, but I'm not sure if it was the matress, temperature, the fact that his weight wasn't making the matress angle, I'm very Princess and the Pea on this, or maybe it was something else. But I tossed and turned less. Then last night I returned to my bed, since he hadn't slept well with out me (makes me feel kinda good) and because I don't want to make a habbit of sleeping seperate. I slept amazing last night, until 430 when I woke up and couldn't get back to sleep.

This morning was going great. I was able to take a shower without getting loopy and dizzy, and get dressed feeling just fine, then WHAM! I'm making breakfast and Husband's lunch, and suddenly I can't figure out if I need to expell my stomach from the top or the bottom, but something wasn't right. I tried to eat, got about half of breakfast down, drank some tea, and Husband got me to my car. Then about 1/4 of the way into the commute, I suddenly have to pull over. I have never been so thankful for suburban sprawl and acres or parking lot. I experienced my first official Morning sickness, and cried through the whole thing. Husband, who follows me to work 1/2 way (we would carpool except his hours are irregular) turns around to check me. He made sure I was ok, and clean, and I continued on my journey.

I discovered that immedeatly after Morning Sickness, you feel instantly better, but the feeling is short lived. I did, however, make it to work, and my original breakfast is being replaced with Cheez-its.

Jul 16, 07 9:28 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Ok, I'm going home. And since Husband took the computer to work, I will be 'netless. Hopefully tomorow will be better.

Jul 16, 07 10:36 am  · 
 · 

i wish for you that this will end soon. (for my wife it didn't.)

Jul 16, 07 10:43 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Aww, Sarah, I'm sorry it hit you so hard. Going home is for the best, you need REST most of all - it's hard physical work to make a human.

I cry every time I throw up. The two go hand in hand.

Feel better. And know that this will pass, honestly, it will. In a few months your stomach will feel so great you'll be happily eating anything placed in front of you - and ask for seconds!

Jul 16, 07 10:45 am  · 
 · 
mdler

for the ladies...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Rfcqy1Oz1g

Jul 16, 07 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

I cry when I throw up too. Also when I pluck my eyebrows and when I yawn.

Wait, Sarah--pardon my UTTER ignorance--but your hips ACTUALLY move out??? Do they come back in once you've given birth or do they stay wider forever??? I know it's a superficial question but, well, I can definitely have my superficial moments. I like my narrow hips just like they are thank you ma'am.

Jul 16, 07 11:51 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

this thread is making me cry. :( and when i cry i throw up. double :(

Jul 16, 07 11:55 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

I don't shut up, I grow up and when I look at you I throw up.

Jul 17, 07 1:03 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I don't think they go back completely. At least, from what I remember from seventh grade life science, thats how they distinguish male from female skeletons. Also, female femers don't stop growing until our mid twenties, so theres still hope to reach 5'-5". So I will have that womanly, shapely figure, but hips can be sexy, right? Curves are in, right? As long as I don't have to wear "mama" jeans the rest of my life and have that horrible "mama" butt. I think I would just stop wearing pants altogether.

On a brighter note, I slept from 11-330 yesterday, and feel much better. So I am back in the land of 'net, and back at work. Blah. I am surviving on cheezits and cheezit twisters. Its a sad, bachelor-like existance.

Forgive my spelling mistakes, please. And Fogey, that was genius, precisely why I tend to not go that far when drinking, don't want to waste the money.

Jul 17, 07 8:26 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Ok, I'm sick of this. Please, put me into a coma for the next 9 months, wake me when its over. The 'science experiment/ultimate learning" fascination has worn off. I'm tired of being a lab rat. Remember, I didn't volunteer for this, my body was commandeered, and I want it back. I'm tired of feeling sick and half awake. I want to have fun now, and this isn't fun.

Its not fair!

Jul 17, 07 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

Sarah

I think the pain stops when they turn 18 and leave the house

Jul 17, 07 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i feel sick and half awake and I KNOW that i'm not preggers!

Jul 17, 07 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

stop eating those cheeto things...that shit will kill you

Jul 17, 07 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i've worked with pregnant women and they said some pretty funny things.

once a pregnant co-worker went to stand up and made a funny face. somone asked if she was ok and her response was, "i'm fine. it's just that my pelvis is expanding and it feels like someone is punching me in the crotch."

Jul 17, 07 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

the pain doesn't stop at 18, it lasts till they start taking care of you and changing your diapers... well at least till they finally get a place of their own and stop asking for handouts.

Jul 17, 07 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I stopped eating the cheezits, not cheatos that sounds gross now. And had half a cheesesteak for lunch. I feel much better. But when you're pregnant, you eat what you can, and that isn't much.

And Vado, I know you did that on purpose.

Jul 17, 07 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

The pain of being a parent never stops. Neither does the joy.

Hang in there, honestly - it *should* get easier in a few weeks. In the meantime, depend heavily on your husband to take care of absolutely everything that doesn't involve you actually being physically at your job: house cleaning, cooking, running errands, laundry, making sure the bills are paid and the frig is stocked, answering invitations from friends, getting car oil changed...you name it, he takes care of it, in addition to rubbing your back and feet on demand and letting you sleep in every possible second you can.

After all, he was complicit in the "volunteer" aspect of this predicament, and you don't see him vomiting out the door of his car in the morning!

Jul 17, 07 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I remind him every day that this is HIS fault. Its got to be somebody's, and it can't be mine.

Jul 17, 07 2:51 pm  · 
 · 

well our first certainly can't be called MY fault. i was only a bystander. and she was expensive.

our second, well, yeah, she's my fault.

we call it 'buy one get one free'.

sarah's husband: suck it up. no one cares if your hands get cramped up during the backrub.

Jul 17, 07 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

This is fascinating. Thanks once again for feeling free to share with us, Sarah.

Jul 17, 07 8:41 pm  · 
 · 
tinydancer

if you are in Dallas and need a studio to try pilates or yoga, try Move Studio-they have prenatal classes-I took some there (not prenatal, but regualr pilates) and they were very nice and helpful. They are off of Preston and Campbell.

Jul 17, 07 9:04 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Well, Husband and I talked last night, and I told him that I was feeling alone and like he was always yelling at me. He really hasn't been, but I still felt like he had. Anyway, so he appologised, and told me that he just felt helpless cause he couldn't make me feel better, and that he didn't want to be too sympathetic, i.e. "oh, you don't feel well again today, well call in sick for the 18th time this month." He is afraid I will get fired for poor performance (work still doesn't know), so I understood where he was coming from, but told him to just be sympathetic anyway.

We talked about other stuff too, and I think we will be better. My fingers are crossed anyway. In his defense, he has never dealt with a pregnant woman before, so he is just as lost as I am. Well, more so probably.

Jul 18, 07 8:51 am  · 
 · 

yes, sympathy IS a balancing act.

Jul 18, 07 8:59 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

That is such a conundrum of the working pregnant woman: for the time you feel totally like hell every day, it's too early to explain to work why you legitimately are performing marginally. But as soon as it's safe to tell, you're feeling (at least in my case) fantastic and excited and get frustrated when they say 'Oh let me carry that for you, you're pregnant!". You most need the sympathy and understanding during the time you can't ask for it!!

I hate to sound like a self-help book guru but my husband read a book - a friend gave it to me, I never would have thought to buy it - that actually truly helped him, and he is SO not a touchy-feely self-help guy. I *think* it was called "what to expect when she's expecting" or something, and it definitely addressed what your husband is feeling: helpless because he knows he can't help you feel better, and like he's walking on eggshells because your hormones/emoitions are pretty crazy (let's be honest, and there is nothing wrong with it: pregnant women get a bit crazy), wondering how to pay for all this, and, of course, on top of it all he is worried about the prospect of becoming a parent, which is a huge responsibility! I think what he liked best about it was it made him feel like a participant, which I think is hard for the man to feel especially when things are so early. When he can feel kicks trhough your stomach, that will make it all feel more real for him.

Jul 18, 07 11:01 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Sarah, i would think telling someone in a responsible capacity in your job would benefit you and protect your rights as well.

Jul 18, 07 11:07 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I asked my "Mentor" since he used to work here, but left for greener, closer pastures. He said to tell my immediate boss, and ask him to keep it quiet. He told me that my boss would understand because his wife had miscariage not too many years ago. I would never have known that, and I feel much better about telling him. He doesn't get in till tomorrow, so the question now is do I tell him tomorrow, or wait. Do I ask him to lunch, or just have a sit down. There are soo many things to consider, or maybe I just think there are because I tend to be very calculating.

Jul 18, 07 11:11 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

beta is right, and the boss' history you described makes it even better. For me the reason to not tell anyone was that we did genetic testing and most like would have terminated had the tests come back badly, which I felt wasw something I would want to kepp private. It sounds liek you guys wouldn't terminate anyway, so if you do (heven forbid) miscarry, you probably would WANT the support and understanding of your colleagues.

tell him tomorrow, and it only need be a five minute conversation - when he's in his office, stop in the door and ask if you can have a couple minutes private conversation with him....Jeez I think you will feell sooo much better about this if you tell him!

Jul 18, 07 11:15 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I think I misspelled about 30% of the words in that post, and I'm not even pregnant! Just in a hurry - sorry.

Jul 18, 07 11:16 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I am so tired of eating. I eat constantly because its the only way keep away the nausea. But I am eating so much that my jaw and throat are sore from the extra work. People who are fat from over eating should have really defined jaw muscles. Mine are getting a total work out.

Jul 18, 07 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

So yesterday I stole a 10 minute nap around 2:25. I locked myself in the bathroom, sat on the floor, and curled into a corner. Greatness. Let me say, that our bathroom is single use, but the toilet is in another room from the sink. Also, since our firm is only 6 females, including me, and most are gone half the time, the bathroom is remarkably clean.

So since yesterday was such a success, I thought I could head of the afternoon nap by sleeping the last 45 minutes of my lunchbreak in a darkish, empty, upstairs materials room, using a fabric sample "book" for a pillow. I actually slept better in the bathroom, go figure.

And come 2:55 today, I stole another ten minute-er, again. I figure that since some people stay in the bathroom for 30 minutes, and stink up the place, 10 minutes with no stink is ok. Right?

Jul 18, 07 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

So this morning I woke up STARVING! I selpt great (Husband is away for another race and I got to sleep in the middle of the bed.)

So I had two packages of oatmeal, and then was still starving, but since I havent been cooking, theres nothing in the fridge, and it smells funny in there anyway so I hate opening the doors. So before my stomach completely consumed itself, I made it to Whataburger for a breakfast burrito. I only got through half of it before my jaw started to ache and my throat closed up. Its the stangest thing. My stomach is yelling "FEED ME!!!!" but my thraot and jaw are say "no, thats enough." My body is arguing with itself.

THen, before I even got 30 minutes into my hour commute, I was so tired I contemplated napping on the shoulder. I made it to work before napping in the car. I didnt want to be late.

Today is the day I tell my Boss, so wish me luck. Since he's been on vacation for the week, I am going to give him some time to settle in. Maybe around 10 or 11? Fingers are crossed.

Jul 19, 07 8:47 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Good luck Sarah, but holy hell, when do you get up in the morning? You're an hour behind me + hour commute = like, 5 am?!? No wonder you're so tired every day.

Jul 19, 07 8:56 am  · 
 · 

i totally forgot that my wife took naps during her first pregnancy. she love those!! it was after she had told her boss what was up, of course, but she would roll out her yoga mat on the floor, turn off the lights in her little room, and nap for 30+ minutes every day.

Jul 19, 07 9:03 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I usually get up at 530 when Husband is home. That gives me time to get ready and still cook breakfast and make his lunch. When hes gone, I get up at 6.

Jul 19, 07 9:03 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Ok, that was hard, and scary.

I told my boss. His reaction was happy, excited/giddy; not what I was expecting, but I dont know what I was expecting. He's going to keep it hush hush until I am ready to tell the rest of the office.

On a side note, after two bowls of oatmeal, and a breakfast burrito, I AM STILL STARVING!!! That Interiors rep better hurry so I can steal some food, and he better have brought something tasty.

Jul 19, 07 11:39 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Ha ha, yay! Good job. It seems like telling bosses things is always harder and scarier than it should be.

Jul 19, 07 11:42 am  · 
 · 

I'm so glad that went well, Sarah!

I was reading this article from Newsweek today, and it made me think of you. Just some things to keep in mind, desperate pleas from the childless among us.

Jul 19, 07 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

rationalist....that article is brilliant. Thanks for the link. Going to go send it to every woman I know now.....

Jul 19, 07 12:53 pm  · 
 · 

j- it wasn't intended to start an arguement, just to gently and hopefully humorously, remind Sarah not to become one of "those mothers" who constantly demean their childless friends accomplishments and bother them about when they were going to have kids.

Jul 19, 07 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I also hate when parents take kids out into public. Obviously, theres not always a chooice, but rest asured, that if and when my kid starts screaming, I will remove him from your ear shot. Of course, planes my be tough, but thats what benedryl is for.

And besides, why would I want to take my kid to a movie or resturant? I want some me time too, and I definately dont want to give me up; it wouldn't be fair to me, my husband, or my child.

Jul 19, 07 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Oh, if that was the reminder, hell, my best friend doesn't ever want kids, and well the others are single guys. I'm only 23/4, so I wouldn't even think about it. Besides, whys it any of my business what you do in the sack?

Jul 19, 07 1:45 pm  · 
 · 

Exactly. But for some reason, so many don't seem to think that way. I think it has something to do with your own body being such a public spectacle through the pregnancy, that suddenly everyone's seems to be fair game? I'm not sure.

Jul 19, 07 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I am convinced that all mothers before us trick the rest of us into thinking pregnancy and birth are great, but so far, its not. Its unfair, thats what it is.

Jul 19, 07 1:53 pm  · 
 · 

we take our girls everywhere except the places that it's obviously not appropriate. (for example, when we took the older one to her first live show - a kids show - i stayed in the lobby with the younger. subjecting an audience to her noises would have been rude.) bars, restaurants, etc - yeah, we take them. just as it might be amazing to you that we do, it's amazing to us that other people won't bring their children out of the house and get them socializing around adults. it's made our children better adjusted, we think, and we haven't had any negative feedback. 'course our friends do the same, for the most part, so....

we haven't really had any majorly embarrassing screaming incidents in restaurants, either, though, so that may be a factor.

Jul 19, 07 3:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: