Archinect
anchor

great beer

e

picked up a fantome saison recently. can't wait to try it.

Oct 18, 06 9:16 pm  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

I had a bottle of Birra DuDemon this summer at a cafe on Via d. Plebiscito in Rome, overlooking the Monumento Nazionale a Vittorio Emanuele on a 100 degree day. It's the strongest beer in the world at 12% alchohol. I can't say for sure if it's the best beer in the world, but it was the best beer I have ever had. Get it if you can, and dream of Rome if only for a minute whilst downing one of these bottles of liquid gold.

Birra Du Demon (When in Rome)

Oct 18, 06 10:44 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake
Oct 18, 06 11:03 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

...fat tire

Oct 18, 06 11:04 pm  · 
 · 
e

poczatek, sorry but 12% does not qualify as the strongest beer in the world. half the beers in my cellar are either on par with that or exceed that.

Oct 18, 06 11:08 pm  · 
 · 
e

okay not half, but i do have a lot that equal that or better. here is the best i have that is 13%: scaldis prestige

Oct 18, 06 11:11 pm  · 
 · 
notone-co

Fat Tire Is Awsome...but that doesn't look like the bottle I had when I was in Seattle. Someone told me they only sell that west of the Mississippi.

Mine is Duvel

Oct 18, 06 11:41 pm  · 
 · 
notone-co
Oct 18, 06 11:43 pm  · 
 · 
DEVicox

nothing comes close to Duvel.

Oct 18, 06 11:49 pm  · 
 · 
db

OK--if Fat Tire is the best beer in your life...then plesae get one.

That said, I will break all beer snob protocal and admit that I just bought a 20 pack Michelob sampler including a Bavarian Wheat, Marzen (which was really nice), Pale Ale, their standard AmberBock, and a Porter.

his is ludicrus, but there were all pretty good beers. For the majority of the country, this may be all they get, and in this case that may be OK

Believe me, I'm a true fan of Unibroue, Chimay and Aventinus -- BeerAdvocate member since 2001 --

but on a daily basis and considering its availability I'll gladly drink the Michelob Marzen.

I also have it from an advertising friend that they're giong to 100% Bavarian Hops for the Michelob brand.

Favorite Beer I cant get any more: Lowenbrau Zurich

Cheers!

Oct 19, 06 1:05 am  · 
 · 
e

Scarce, subtle and complex, Thomas Hardy’s Ale is the beer enthusiast’s equivalent of rare cognac. Bottle-conditioned to mature in the bottle like fine wine, this old ale/barley wine will improve with age. Not for the faint of palate, especially when young and brash, maturity brings an elegance of flavors unmatched by any other beer—if you have the patience to cellar it for at least a decade.

Oct 19, 06 1:21 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

e-

your knowledge of beer is unheard of and highly humbling. hopefully my college experiences with country club won't DQ me, but Ganter Wodan holds a special place in my heart, as I spent a year living around the block from the brauerei.

btw, brouwers is a wicked space and has a decent bier selection. it would have been a great place to watch the world cup.

Oct 19, 06 1:59 am  · 
 · 
Appleseed

Hawks DM Imperial Stout. 9.9%, Roseburg, OR.

Oct 19, 06 2:00 am  · 
 · 
207moak
Oct 19, 06 8:15 am  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

My brew of choice...

Oct 19, 06 11:52 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

my 6-pack of the week- thanks trader joes!

I'll be buying this again.

Oct 19, 06 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

here are some of my favorites as of right now... (thank god it's almost the weekend)

Smuttynose Pale Ale and Old Brown Dog
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
Harpoon IPA
La Fin du Monde

ps. what is up with needing to be 21 to even visit a beer website these days?

Oct 19, 06 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
kwarch

Smuttynose is one of my favorites as well.

Has anyone heard of "Concrete Blonde" (not the band)?
Sounds like an architect's kinda brew....

Oct 19, 06 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
e
southampton

makes some incredible beers. i wish i had more access to them. their grand cru is awesome.

Oct 19, 06 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
e

i was briefly in north carolina this past weekend and was trying to score some duck rabbit. i only had the wee heavy scotch ale. not bad, but if you are in the area, their baltic porter and imperial stout are too die for.

Oct 19, 06 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

what about sammy smiths? i enjoy their organic ale frequently.

Oct 19, 06 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
chaptertwo

the greatest beers around have not been mentioned. these beers are on another level, some of which are tough to find. some relatively impossible.

dogfish head world wide stout.
dogfish head 120 minute
dogfish head old school
dogfish head raison d'extra

three floyds bohemeth
three floyds dark lord russian

bells expedition stout
bells batch 7000

if anyone has had all of those and thinks they have a better beer, please, let me know.

Oct 19, 06 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

I've had both of the Bell's offerings and I must say they are tops!

Oct 19, 06 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

Expedition Stout isn't hard to find, but the Batch 7000 was a single-batch release, you can't find that anywhere. They have some other great offerings, too!

Bell's Beers

Oct 19, 06 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
chaptertwo

also if alcohol content is what your in the market for. try avery's "the beast" (18.1%) "methistopheles" 15.1% and "samael's" (14%)

dogfish head: world wide stout (18+%)
raison d'extra (18+%)
120 minute IPA (20%)

Oct 19, 06 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

never could get into the mangy dog smell of dogfish beers- then again, that cask may have been skunked.

Oct 19, 06 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
e

come on chaptertwo. i admit that those are some great beers especially the three floyds. they make awesome beer. i especially like the dark lord, but to make a statement like they are 'the greatest beers around' and 'if anyone...thinks they have a better beer' comes of as sounding like you doubt that mark can be hit. if you look back at my posts in this thread there are a lot that are on par with the ones you listed and probably some that exceed it. at least in my opinion. now, anyway you can ship me some dark lord?

Oct 19, 06 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
chaptertwo

we waited in the rain for an hour to get those bottles of DL. i have one left and im sitting on this one for a while. we came home with 20 bottles of it in my car and prayed we didnt wreck.

Oct 19, 06 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
chaptertwo

well, looking at your posts i see you are more of a belgian guy than me. Im kind of over European beer now that American beer is so amazing. I saw some decent imperial stouts mentioned but nothing in my opinion that tops the work of dogfish head. I should have said that these are the best American craft beers around. sure there could be an obscure brewery out there that I havent been close enough to to even know about, but i have had a lot of others and not many rival those on that list. thats why i say, if anyone has had all those and still thinks something else they have had is better, let me know, cause i want you to pour me a glass.

howd you get ur hands on a dark lord? the last batch sold out in four hours..

Oct 19, 06 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
e

nice chaptertwo. nice.

i may have mentioned this one already. not sure. i only have one BFM Abbaye de Saint Bon-Chien left. i wish i had more. only a 1000 were sent to the u.s.

BFM Abbaye de Saint Bon-Chien: An abbey-style ale aged in wooden casks for several years including Merlot,Merlot Cabernet,Whiskey and then Grappa. The final version is blended from the different casks to ensure balance.

Oct 19, 06 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

3 floyds beer is available here:
the 3f brewery in munster, IN
The Map Room, Chicago
Clark Street Ale House, Chicago
Twisted Spoke, Chicago
John Barleycorn, Chicago
Jak's Tap, Chicago
The Village Tap, Chicago
aliveOne, Chicago
Hopleaf, Chicago
Delilah's, Chicago
Hideout, Chicago
The Beer Yard, Wayne, PA
Handle Bar, Chicago
The Bread Company, Urbana, IL 61801

Mike's American Ale House
5737 W Irving Park,
(773) 283-3150

Mac's American
1801 West Division,
(773) 782-4400

Poor Phil's Shell Bar, Oak Park, IL 60302
Finnegan's Wake Irish Pub, Dyer, IN 46311

Oct 19, 06 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
chaptertwo

and aliveOne, Cincinnati!

the map room and clark street ale house rock. also sheffields has a nice assortment.

Oct 19, 06 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
chaptertwo

e, sounds pretty good... trade? DL for BFM? Ill throw in a 120 minute...

Oct 19, 06 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
e

i'd say my cellar has an equal amount of american and belgians in it. i think southampton is a decent american brewer. not a huge fan of dogfish. i do like them though.

i have the dark lord a few times. i am a judge at the hard liver barleywine fest in seattle every year and best friends who own the best beer store and bar in the northwest. to kick off the fest, a number of us gather at the bar that i mentioned probably way to many times and is the host of the fest, for a back room tasting. it starts at 1p and goes for about 12 hours. here is the list and pics from last year. the hair of the dog from the wood [magnum] was at the top of my list for the day.

Oct 19, 06 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
e

but it's the only bfm i have and i'm imagining that it will age quite well. you come out to seattle with your dark man, and i'll pull some nice stuff to compliment.

Oct 19, 06 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

We should have a beer swap!

Oct 19, 06 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
chaptertwo

if u save for another 4-5 months, ill be on the west coast, so who knows. well see if i can hold on to the lord until then. It gets better every time.

that looks like a sweet ass gig. thats a friend worth keeping. whats the name of that place if im ever in seattle and thirsty?

i saw some great brews in that list.

howd you like that new glarus lambic? they make a mean cherry. probably the best lambic ive had.

and since it was a barleywine fest.. what did u think of that behemouth?

whats up with this dissatisfaction towards dogfish.. too many people still need to explore the full capacity of the brewery. theyre just plain good.

Oct 19, 06 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
e

i can't imagine drinking it in the next 4-5 months. the new glarus was yummy. a friend of mine is from wisconsin and brings some back when ever he goes home. tops on my list too. their cherry stout was nice too. geez, i don't remember the bohemoth much. that list is in sequential order and as you notice the bohemoth is at the bottom of the list.

no dissatisfaction with them. i just find some of their beer don't agree with my palette. the do good ipas and the worldwide, as you mention, is nice. there is a lot of dogfish on ratebeer site that i have never had though. as i mentioned, i do like them.

for those who have heard me say this before, please ignore me. just trying to answer chaptertwo. my friends own bottleworks. their site is way out dated. they have about 850 beers without the usual suspects. they also own brouwer's cafe. the celebrator just named brouwer's the third best bar for beer and food. they fell in behind higgins in alaska and monks in philly, and they've only been open for a year and a half. 64 taps, 200+ bottles, 40 scotches.

Oct 19, 06 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
knock

i've got a couple dozen smoked porters that i brewed and is quite tasty ... I think I prefer anchor porter the best.

favorite, though ... a close race between westmalle trippel, bear republic racer5, and Cantillion's gueze.

Oct 19, 06 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

You know I was just thinking its Thursday, I work the weekend anyway, why not go for the Friday morning hangover? I saw Clark St. Ale House above and they do it right - constant rotation of the brew selection. The prob is that some rotate out too fast. There was an early summer brew called Lakefront Cherry from the Lakefront breweries in Wis. I recall. Dam fine summer drink when its 95 out. Anyone see it anywhere else?

Oct 19, 06 7:13 pm  · 
 · 
e

i had a lagunitas gonzo last night while playing poker. a friend of mine had a half dozen 22s in that he had been saving. the last time i had it, it was about 6 months ago. with time, the bitterness and taste of alcohol has mellow a bit. in the spirit of thompson, rights were never secured to use his image on the label.

a funny thompson story: don johnson used to be his neighbor. one day johnson see thompson and asks him what is the sound of one hand clapping? thompson thinks for a few seconds, and then slaps the shit out of johnson. priceless.

Oct 20, 06 11:54 am  · 
 · 
Artful Dodger

current favorites, rochefort 10 and st. bernardus abt 12. All this talk of chicago beer bars makes me want to skip out of work and spend the rest of the day at the map room.

knock you homebrew? If your up for an exchange i've got several, including a very smooth IPA

Oct 20, 06 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
e

nice label artful. me likes the rochefort 10 and st. bernardus abt 12 too. i was at a friend's house about a month ago. he gave me a 10 year old rochefort 10 for dessert. it paired very well with the bleu cheese. have you tried the st. bernardus abt 12 special edition yet? it's for their 60th anniversary and comes in a metal sleeve.

Oct 20, 06 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
Artful Dodger

thanks! That sounds delicious E, allthough i don't think i have the restraint to celler one for that long. I think i made it 8 months before breaking into my current stash (just for sampling purposes)

I'll have to keep my eyes open for the special edition abt 12

Oct 20, 06 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
e

yeah, 10 years is some crazy restraint. my test of will will be the thomas hardy's that i starting to collect. seems they do well for upto 25 years. yikes.

Oct 20, 06 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

I'm thirsty!

time for a brew- anybody else???

Oct 20, 06 6:53 pm  · 
 · 
e

artful, have you had the chateau jiahu by dogfish? i picked it up the other day thanks to your comments about the brewer and look forward to trying it. curious if you have.

Oct 27, 06 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
e

oh, i had the fantome saison last weekend. i enjoyed it. not sure you like that style of beer. it had beautiful golden hazy color to it. notes of lemon, grapefruit, corriander, and pepper. i picked up a few more this week.

Oct 27, 06 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
Artful Dodger

I havent had that one, lately the shipments their more unique beers have been far and few between here. but I'd love to hear what you think of it!

As for the fontome, I had one a few years ago and recall it being alright, but not worth the price. I might have to revisit it though I've been absoutly loving Jolly Pumpkins La Roja I picked up last weekend, and it sounds very similar.

Oct 30, 06 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
mdler
Oct 30, 06 6:55 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: