Archinect
anchor

bicycles

JohnProlly

I introduce to Archinect, the Necronomicon.

Necro for short...

Just copped it today

Hoping to get it painted next week to look like this...

Apr 3, 07 10:30 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

700c x 700c pursuit frame

Hopeful setup [yay income tax return]:

-Velocity deep v white non machined laced to black paul hubs with bladed spokes
-answer pro taper 2" riser bars with 1" rise stem [cancelling out the geometry]
-gold [or black] sugino cranks
-gold izumi chain
-time atak peddles
-gold nitto seatpost
-black san marco saddle...

Named as a homage to Evil Dead II

Apr 3, 07 10:33 pm  · 
 · 

whats the point of a pursuit frame if you're going to cancel out the geometry!?!?!?!

Apr 4, 07 12:56 am  · 
 · 
Chairman-Mao

wanna buy my bike? www.liuding.com/bike.html

Apr 4, 07 1:53 am  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

Pixel - for looks duhhhhhhhh [kidding - sorta]

most people who ride pursuit frames cancel out their geometry, it doesn't mean they still don't ride twitchy and responsive as hell, just makes it easier on your back....

this is my boy's yamaguchi

and his landshark

He's the one who convinced me to go with a pursuit frame 1cm too small for me and get a riser stem and 2" riser bars. Said it's the most fun he's ever had on a bike.

I've ridden a khs 57cm setup before and it was twitchy and quick.

Can't wait. I'm keepin the IRO and i'm on the waiting list for a purple Bareknuckle....

Pixel... any thoughts?

Apr 4, 07 10:19 am  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

Mao,

Gorgeous bike btw.

Apr 4, 07 10:21 am  · 
 · 

Mao: frame's too small for me, sorry.

JP: pursuit frames need drops so you can get low! I have limited experience on pursuit frames (although my current frame seems like one because its too small for me, after about 40 miles you start to feel it) so can't really comment too much on it.

Does Sugino make gold cranks or are you going to get them redone? For some reason Boston is very non-bling bike and because of that I'm not a fan of deep V's, gold components, etc. I'm personally a fan of bikes that are simple and clean: debadged frame (not that I don't appreciate a landshark, its just not my style), Open Pro rims, etc.

I'm going to start working on a road bike next week so I can do the weekly crit races in the summer and longer (50+) rides in the countryside. I rode my boy's Mercx road bike (with SRAM Rival gruppo) and it was the oddest experience to coast after having been fixed for 3+ years. And I need to get a new track frame because track season starts May 1st!

Apr 4, 07 10:43 am  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

Sugino makes gold bmx cranks, but I have a friend in the BMX world who's gonna get me some for cheap.

Gentei made polished copper sugino 75s as well... insanity.

Apr 4, 07 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
winifred

I'm going to paint it white before I move to LA in June. Anyone know good bike shops around the downtown area? Im excited how flat and lazy my rides will be- but fearful of turning into a lobster in the sun.

Apr 15, 07 8:35 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Silly question probably, but why would you not want brakes on a bike?

Apr 15, 07 8:50 pm  · 
 · 
winifred

People tend to feel more connected to the bike. On a fixed gear you slow down/stop by using your legs. It takes awhile to learn how to do this quickly and it is best to start out with a brake until you perfect your stop.

I like the feel of my fixed gear- but I'm actually planning on getting an e-brake so that I don't have to be so careful while riding in traffic.

Apr 15, 07 9:59 pm  · 
 · 

Riding with a brake fixed freaks me out. I've thought about getting one for my town bike (vs. my race bike, which doesn't make much sense) but I've never gotten a lever.

I should post pics of my kitchen and garage, all said about 12 bike total...

Apr 16, 07 11:44 am  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

Damn.

Got my frame in the mail today. Thinking about going less "blingy" and more black.

Correction:

Sugino is making anodized / gold 75's for the Winter '07 line. Any custom powdercoating / anodizing is not authorized by Sugino and voids warranties.

I'ma just go with Black Sugino rds with a zen chainring.

Hoping to get some "dark throne" printed fabric to make a frame pad and my risers / seatpost powdercoated neon yellow.

Apr 16, 07 1:09 pm  · 
 · 

you should hunt down a Louis Vuitton NJS saddle and rock that!

Apr 16, 07 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

How do the French feel about working with the Japanese?

Apr 16, 07 4:32 pm  · 
 · 

going Campy?

Apr 16, 07 8:11 pm  · 
 · 

wait, they're Italian... dammit...

Apr 16, 07 8:11 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

LV is french right?

I thought we were talking Luxury here Pixel?

Apr 16, 07 10:10 pm  · 
 · 

oh yeah, well obviously the French and Japanese get along just fine if there is a NJS saddle! I'd like a kidrobot saddle, NJS or not! hop on that JP!

Apr 16, 07 10:22 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

Nah, that's ok. I'll stick with my Rolls. NJS is bullshit anyway. Honestly, Kieran races look really really boring. I'd rather watch nascar.

Who cares if ya shit is stamped sonnnnnnnn.

Do they make the saddle in cornflower blue?

Apr 16, 07 11:32 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

... or even a plastic BMX saddle. If someone ganks it, buy another one for $5 - now THATS comfort!

Apr 16, 07 11:34 pm  · 
 · 

saddles don't get stolen in Boston, so I can't relate.

Kieren became more interesting for me when I found about the odd rules/culture associated with it.

Apr 17, 07 12:04 am  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

Kinda like Dungeons and Dragons right?

Apr 17, 07 12:15 am  · 
 · 

I was going to resurrect this thread this evening as I've decided to get a bicycle as part of my recovery (recommendation from the doc).

Now here is the conditions that apply - it needs to support my frame (see forward scrum 5'11 @ 230) go up gravelled terrain and back down again...with brakes John Prolly and save enough for an amateur whose been on motorbikes more times than bicycles in the last two decades

Apr 17, 07 12:19 am  · 
 · 

its all about ADVANCED Dungeons and Dragons. And there is no level for Dungeon Masters...

architechnophilia: perhaps a cyclocross rig would be right for you, not sure what your range is, but maybe along the lines of a Bianchi San Jose?

Apr 17, 07 12:24 am  · 
 · 

oops, San Jose is only single speed, next model up (the Volpe) has gears and was what I meant to point you towards

Apr 17, 07 12:26 am  · 
 · 

oops I forgot to add mountainous terrain, gravel = loose volcanic rock

Apr 17, 07 12:29 am  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

What about one of these?

In all seriousness. If you have a local bike shop. They'll probably be able to lean you towards your best bet. Bike shops tend to be helpful with other information as well [local laws, ect]

Good luck!

On a side note:

Pixel, here's that picture we took the other weekend that you wanted to put on your myspace page.

Apr 17, 07 10:31 am  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

For you Pixel...

YES I'm changing the stem. Got 1/2 way through cutting the bars when my pipe cutter broke.

Thinking about a Mavic Ellipse wheelset the more I read about them as well... Less bling, more stealthy aesthetic.

Apr 25, 07 11:00 am  · 
 · 

for you whackjobs - bicycles

Apr 30, 07 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

aww...i was just coming here to post a link to that very same article.

it's not a bad piece, imho. it rides a fine line of noting that the fixed-gear scene is both old and new, both established and trendy, both fleeting and here to stay...which is all true.

it also shys away from too much of the fixed-gear-riding is-spiritual-and-zen-like which it is of course, but when you see folks who are already outside the norm making comments like that, it makes for a tougher sell. people already think fixies are wierd...

for me - i love my fixie and i credit fixed-gear riding with getting me back on a bike in a way that i hadn't been in years.

Apr 30, 07 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
n_

this is my bike:
_i'm new to road biking so it's nothing too fancy_

and, more importantly, this is where i bike:
_natchez trace parkway bridge, about 1.3 miles from my house_

Apr 30, 07 9:01 pm  · 
 · 

Apr 30, 07 10:57 pm  · 
 · 

ummm, WOW. That is a gorgeous machine. Seat looks like it's go right on up your ass, though.

Apr 30, 07 10:58 pm  · 
 · 

its a hydraulic bike

Apr 30, 07 11:00 pm  · 
 · 

it does look like some meideval torture device doesn't it

Apr 30, 07 11:13 pm  · 
 · 
FRO

that Cannondale one-tined fork scene has always been kind of unsettling to me. I used to have a Cannondale M800 (Beast of the East!) though back around '92 and I loved it!

n_ - good use of the term 'more importantly' because if I lived near that bridge I would want to ride on it. We should have a 'sub-thread' (except we dont have those) titled "Where do you ride your bike?" Honestly I haven't ridden a bike in a city in so long it's hard for me to imagine most people's daily bike scene....

May 1, 07 10:50 am  · 
 · 

wow, that redefines the term "ass hatchet" in regards to a saddle.

I have video taken from the basket on my beater bike of me riding around Bunker Hill/Charlestown that I used for a project. No where close to my daily commute though.

JP: did you go out to the opening night at Kissena? Last night was opening at the "velodrome" out here and we did pacelines all night and had a blast. Still a bit sore from things but all the kinks are working themselves out.

May 2, 07 9:51 am  · 
 · 

I've got a friend in LA looking to pick up a cheap wheel set and is looking for a recommendation on where to go. any one have stories of great experiences with shops they can pass along?

May 3, 07 11:54 am  · 
 · 

funny, I was about to come on here and ask a similar question. I'm going to switch to bicycle commuting once I move to Seattle, but that's not until September, and am thinking of getting a bike sooner in LA so that I can get comfortable with riding again (it's been a while). I'm looking for a hybrid/commuter bike, used it fine to start with and then if I make it through next winter I'll invest in something higher end. Anyone know of a good place to get used bikes in LA?

May 3, 07 11:58 am  · 
 · 

rationalist: did some research, seeing how I'm in Boston I can't really vouch, but the Bicycle Kitchen might be a place to start.

May 5, 07 1:15 am  · 
 · 

Thanks Pix. Yeah, I saw them, but they don't actually sell. Once I find a bike, I might head out there for a repair class though, so that I won't feel so stupid about bikes anymore!

May 5, 07 1:58 pm  · 
 · 

hmmm, I may have found the bike. I went looking at several shops today.

That's at Palms Cycles, on Motor just north of Venice. They had a nice shop, not a tonnnn of selection though. It's a great place for cruisers and they've got some good values in the more serious bikes. Nicer looking helmets and such than most, very friendly.

I also liked Wheel World Cyclery on Sepulveda between Washington Blvd & Washington Place. They had a great selection of some very serious machines, a wide variety of parts and accessories, were very helpful and low-pressure. I'm also considering ordering one of these from them:

[img]http://www.giant-bicycles.com/_upload_us/bikes/models/zooms/2007_spring/Cypress_ST_W_Grey.jpg[/url]

I'm not 100% sure about mountain wheels vs. road wheels. The mountain wheels made for a much more comfortable ride for sure, but speed is good too. Any thoughts on this?

Bikecology on Pico is not recommended. Small shop, very little selection, a lot of pressure to buy there, now. Hardly any accessories to speak of.

May 5, 07 6:50 pm  · 
 · 

damn! The Raleigh Passage 3.0:

The Giant Cyprus ST w:

I've never resized before, so we'll see if this works...

May 5, 07 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
Martinsson

i just found this ... http://www.livelearninvest.com/2007/05/02/some-crazy-mountain-biking/
thats a nice sidewalk

May 6, 07 11:37 am  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

It's alive:

Pixel, nahh, I didn't get to make it out to Kissena. Been too busy lately...

May 6, 07 10:03 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

gotta love living in southern california.

gorgeous day today so i took my new bike out for a nice cruise along the bike paths @ santa monica/venice.

great day!

May 6, 07 11:39 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

n_!!! i lived (and my parents still live) probably about the same distance from that bridge! right on new hwy 96 near hwy 46. dope spot for bike rides! i might just take mine when i get out there next month.

May 6, 07 11:40 pm  · 
 · 

yeah, great weekend indeed, I headed up to Rockport/Cape Ann via the commuter rail (this is eastern MA) and did a quick 20 mile ride with a co-worker and a friend. Got back to Boston and bombed around downtown for a bit and took in the sun. I love this weather, nothing is better than being able to ride till 2am without freezing!

May 7, 07 9:26 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

I have a question about bike helmets and thought you guys might be a good place to start.....

Why are bike helmets so funny looking? Clearly there's a lot of padding concentrated towards the back of the head and that makes sense, but why then isn't there this same sort of structure on say, a scooter helmet? Because you'd want to protect the same stuff, right?

Please don't make fun, I am genuinely ignorant of these matters....

May 7, 07 3:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: