Archinect
anchor

2006 Pritzker Prize

Cameron

I was responding to Medits' post - it's about time for the middle eastern and asian architects (japanese aside). Zaha is a British citizen and that what was noted by the Pritzkers (I did a cut and paste of the list).

She actually went to convent school in Baghdad and moved to Switzerland at 16. Afterwards she went to the American University in Beirut to do a degree in mathematics..

As for 2005, I completely forgot about Thom - which is a tad more than a nationality - and sad as I did a conference with him a couple of week before the award was announced.

Dec 10, 05 7:55 pm  · 
 · 
Cameron

fyi. I.M.Pei was born in China even though he is listed as American, Ephraim Goldberg was born in Canada but he is listed as Frank Gehry as American. etc.

Dec 10, 05 8:01 pm  · 
 · 

while my vote still goes to williams/tsien, it's hard to believe that eisenman has never made it. not so much because of his built work, but because of his impact.

Dec 11, 05 8:56 am  · 
 · 
Cameron

I'm hate to say it but if the Pritzkers wants to be relevant then Eisenman should be passed over.

I know it is supposed to be for a lifetimes achievement but his time to get it was in the late 80's/early 90's. Although I'm not a fan of his attitute or buildings Steven Holl might get it.

Dec 11, 05 11:22 am  · 
 · 
David Cuthbert

btw Cameron, you realise that you'll likely get it in the next 10 to 15 years? What you are doing is off such cultural & professional importance that it is inevitable. So that said who's going to get it after Cam/AFH?

Dec 11, 05 11:48 am  · 
 · 
David Cuthbert

Anyhow Zumthor will get one this year or next. However Williams & tsien can't get one yet - they haven't even updated their webpage in like 2 years <- for that alone they shouldn't get chosen. Give adjaye 5 more years and he'll get it (his best projects will all hopefully be built, another British citizen, represents Tanzania as well, he's the only celebrity from across the pond)

Dec 11, 05 11:56 am  · 
 · 
Cameron

I'm not getting it. The prize is directed toward singular people and not organizations - if in 15/20 I'm considered I will turn it down (unless they change their scope). A far greater honor would be the Aga Khan award.

jam-arch - Give Agjaye a couple more high profile projects and he's def. going to get it.

Dec 11, 05 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
ferd

williams and tsien don't stand a chance.

have they really done anything of any real significance? put aside the fancy details and expensive materials and their work is as hollow as......................... we have to discuss offices that have made significant contributions on a deeper level than $40 million dollar house splated in gold. look at murcutt, siza, moneo. these are architects!

david adjaye is a little young to even be talked about at this point. neon green lights and 'dirty' plywood houses are not really a strong basis for a pritzker nomination. we'll see how his work turns out in the next twenty years.

i think that the patkaus could be a strong candidate for canada's first pritzker winner. they will need a few more years to tidy up some great projects that are underway. their work has susbtance...................

the body of work that the patkaus have developed is as good as anyones. i think that they are among the best architects in the world.

put the flashy shit to bed already. the pritzker needs substance!

Dec 11, 05 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
ferd

who is this cameron????

show me some work please. a link to your prjects would be great.

Dec 11, 05 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
Cameron

some fool...

check out www.architectureforhumanity.org - currently we are running 14/15 projects in India, Indonesia, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and the United States [mainly in the gulf states]. Most of which are not on the website - yet.

The difference is that we are not actually the architect (although I used to practice) just the project instigators, facilitators and funders, designs are done by a myriad of architects and designers from around the world. Perhaps one of these architects will go onto greater things.

We are only a couple of years out and have had full time staff for 2 years. so AFH is a long way off from the stratosphere of those designers.

Dec 11, 05 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
ferd

congrats. looks like some great stuff.

to keep this thread on the right path, my nominations for futrue pritzker winners are (in no specific order)

patkaus
peter zumthor
richard rogers
carlos ferrater (a stretch, i know, but his office produces beautiul bldgs)

its too bad that good young firms like rick joy, brian mackay-lyons, vincent james, etc don't get more air time on this site.

Dec 11, 05 1:35 pm  · 
 · 

Cameron, the scope of the Pritzker does develop. I am positive the same criteria used today would have easily denied Philip Johnson ever getting one (he's by the way the only "commercial" that is if you exclude Norman - yes I said it)

But you are right in saying that the Aga Kahn would be a more appropriate one since it focus is less about the architects achievement and more to do with the embrace of the environment particularly the Eastern/muslim one. How you gonna keep all those medals - you might have move in a larger space, chance of AFH expanding offices?

Dec 11, 05 10:23 pm  · 
 · 

not too sure about the MackayLyons and his ghost lol

Dec 11, 05 10:44 pm  · 
 · 

ferd... its too bad that good young firms like rick joy, brian mackay-lyons, vincent james, etc don't get more air time on this site. maybe you should check out the Features::UpStarts

Dec 11, 05 11:17 pm  · 
 · 

i still have my money on jean nouvel.

Dec 11, 05 11:25 pm  · 
 · 
ferd

I'm not talking about "start-up" offices that produce renderings of buildings that look like swiss cheese. I'm talking about "young", established firms that are producing a growing body of work.

I know that all young offices need a start.......... but studio sputnik has built.......................................................

"not too sure about the MackayLyons and his ghost lol"

what the hell are you talking about?

Dec 12, 05 8:18 am  · 
 · 
Medit
carlos ferrater (a stretch, i know, but his office produces beautiul bldgs)

Carles Ferrater can't win a Pritzker if Oriol Bohigas and MBM doesn't get it first.. it wouldn't be fair and I'm sure Ferrater would agree with that

Bohigas buildings may not be that minimalistically "beautiful" but his role in the redevelopment of Barcelona and the subsequent urban model -imported or revisited to several cities around the world- should deserve far more credit than Ferrater's white concrete boxes (though Carles is definitely a very good architect, but still young and not that original or influential [yet].)

It would complement the RIBA's medal of 1999 for the city of BCN herself, and, after all, it's time for an architect that has excelled as an urban planner to be recognised by the Pritzkers..

Dec 12, 05 8:37 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i'd love to see charles correa honored. and i'm also looking forward to the day that yung ho chang gets his due. actually, given how "hot" china has been this year i'm surprised he hasn't been mentioned yet.

as for cameron, he doesn't need the pritzker and more accolades from architects...but i'm still hopeful about his chances for the nobel peace prize. and this isn't as ridiculous as it sounds if you consider that wangari maathai was honoured last year for planting trees.

back to the pritzker though: shortterm, i'll take jean nouvel as the favorite for 06. others in the mix for the not-too-distant future include steven holl, peter zumthor, and williams & tsien. long term prediction...i got my money on a romanian named oana.

it'll be fun to see what happens.

Dec 12, 05 11:40 am  · 
 · 
caffeine junkie

It seems like you should need more than a handful of notable buildings to get the prize, which I think knocks both Williams and tsien, and zumthor out. Plus I dont think you get to count buildings that you (or your parents) are the clients for. which is my double knock agains w & t.

Dec 12, 05 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
ferd

what building did w and t do for their parents??????

Dec 12, 05 3:21 pm  · 
 · 

seems the neuroscience center, amer craft museum, and cranbrook natatorium would measure up well against the cac and the vitra fire station, as significant scale built projects go.

Dec 12, 05 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
caffeine junkie

The Natatorium...Williams went to cranbrook and his dad donated the building...

Dec 12, 05 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
liberaceisdead

How about a posthumous award to Enric Miralles? The Scottish Parliament was just completed this year....

And I predict that Eisenman will win either this year or next- the Holocaust Memorial is the political grand prize that these types of awards go crazy over.

Dec 12, 05 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i really doubt they'll ever do a posthomous award. that would open up a massive can of worms. "should we give it to palladio this year? no, of course not, we still haven't honored michelangelo yet"...oh brother, that'd effectively end the honor for any living architect.

it seems if eisenman was going to get it, that would have happened at least ten years ago but who knows.

as for the need to have a number of notable buildings, i would have agreed with that but then zaha altered that percpetion given that she had about five built works at the time.

Dec 12, 05 4:15 pm  · 
 · 

Dec 12, 05 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

my vote goes to the stararchitect who has designed the most sharp edges

Dec 12, 05 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
Queen of England

Hitherto, Queen of England postings did not carry the Royal seal, the Royal Coat of Arms will hereon in be attached validating authenticity.

Dec 12, 05 7:46 pm  · 
 · 
David Burns

Wolf Prix + Helmut Swiczinsky

Dec 13, 05 12:51 am  · 
 · 
baldo

shigeru ban
toyo ito
ken yeang
charles correa

i think an asian will win..

Dec 13, 05 3:01 am  · 
 · 

i just heard a rumor that 2006 prize ceremony will take a place in istanbul.

Feb 19, 06 11:42 pm  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

I have to agree with tadsthetadz...

I'd really like to see charles correa win. but chances are slim.
toyo ito would be a good bet.

Feb 20, 06 3:54 am  · 
 · 
Cassiel

Architecture Studio, about time they get some recognition...

Feb 20, 06 7:10 am  · 
 · 
6nuew

eisenman deserves one, just for his impact and teaching.. and an indian needs to win. i think correa is on the jury.. so i dont know how that would work.

Feb 20, 06 9:55 am  · 
 · 
meta

moshdie safdie could be another contender as well, right?

Feb 20, 06 10:01 am  · 
 · 
machine à habiter

A turkish newspaper had some news about the subject. It says that the Pritzker Prize officials have contacted the turkish ministry of culture and tourism to hold this year's prize ceremony in Hagia Eirini, a byzantine church, near Hagia Sophia, in Istanbul.

here it is. (in Turkish)

Feb 20, 06 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
David Cuthbert

sad that Charles Correa hasn't won the Pritzer yet, very sad.

Feb 20, 06 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
machine à habiter

Ricardo Legorreta, Emilio Ambasz or Antoine Predock might go for the prize as dark horses, imho.

Feb 20, 06 12:52 pm  · 
 · 

carles correa was once very close, from what i've heard.

supposedly the announcement date is set for april 10, even though it has been moved up in previous years.
the winner at this point might already be picked, and that person might even know already...

Feb 20, 06 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
southpole

Williams & Tsien (have been in the running in the past),

Holl (is Due)

Ito (one of this day no doubt)

Feb 20, 06 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
ferd

campo baeza

Feb 20, 06 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
moratto

I second Wolf Prix. BMW Welt will be done by the end of this year.

Feb 20, 06 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Apart from being the one day a year that Architecture is mentioned in national news, can anyone argue that the Pritzker is useful? I'm going to tentatively say no, but am willing to be convinced otherwise.

Feb 20, 06 11:38 pm  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

Well it would be useful in form of advertising ...
imagine telling the client that you've won the oscar of architecture !!

so for that matter how useful is an oscar or a grammy or even a noble prize ?

I like the fact that, there is some form of recognition to architects.

Feb 21, 06 12:09 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

I agree that its sad that Charles Correa hasn't won Pritzker yet ..

he seems to have won every other major award..
didnt he win the aga khan in 98 ? .. dont remember

Feb 21, 06 12:38 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova
Feb 21, 06 12:42 am  · 
 · 
taospan

williams/tsien??? come on. id like to think you have to have an established body of incredible work/influence to merit the prize.. many of these potential nominees have done nothing to push the course of arch.

Wolf Prix
Eric Moss
Lebbeus Woods
Miralles
Eisenman

in no order. i d be happy for any of them to win, though i doubt the will.
if calatrava wins the prize im dropping out of school and becoming a dentist or something

Feb 21, 06 2:41 am  · 
 · 
Medit

not Miralles.. the laureate has to be a living architect, no?

Feb 21, 06 3:39 am  · 
 · 
MADianito
Sejima!!!

(again i say she deserves it, before she lose her mind or go to abstract that she will dissapear as her buildings), or Toyo Ito...i think pritzker will go to asia this year.... mmhh Legorreta?? someone said Legorreta?? please not... eventhou he has a veeeery good relationship w/the pritzker family (he had done several houses and projects for them, besides being part of the pritzker jury)

Feb 21, 06 3:57 am  · 
 · 
mdler

williams and tsien were nominated in 2002 and lost to Glen Murket (who, BTY Ferd, is a one man operation)

Also, seeing how the Folk Art Museum was done on a shoestring budget ($18 million vs the $40 million + that REM spent on Prada), I would give them credit where it is due.

they should win the award based on their humility, alone

Feb 21, 06 8:27 pm  · 
 · 
mlee

eisenmann? please. he's a theorist. the holocaust memorial is nice, but that's about it.

Zumthor (although not likely, would be great).

Feb 22, 06 1:04 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: