I say Sejima or Ito. Ito's gonna cry if he doesn't get it this year AGAIN

Mar 5, 06 3:22 am  · 
 · 
harame83

I say Sejima or Ito. Ito's gonna cry if he doesn't get it this year AGAIN

Mar 5, 06 3:22 am  · 
 · 
ferd

if you actually think that glen murcutt is really a one man architect, you're out of your mind. i believe that both his wife and son are also architects are they not.

besides, my point was that no architect can work in a vaccuum. there are a lot of architects that seem to try and make people believe that they are the only force behind their work, but this is simply a fools perspective.

murcutt is a great architect, he has had a great career, but no one can work alone.

enough about this, this post is about the 2006.

i do like campo baeza. maybe not for 2006, but he will have his day.

Mar 6, 06 8:29 am  · 
 · 
ferd

humility, williams and tsien?

there is no humility in their work.

five story bronze facades? shoe striong budgets of 18 million?

being a nice couple will not win you a pritzker.

they need more time. more work.

Mar 6, 06 8:31 am  · 
 · 
raymonde

only one living person deserves this and it is peter zumthor.

actually, all the other prizes given to schlocksters, starting with philip johnson, should be revoked. the pritzker is no big deal, considering the so called winners.

barragan shines on the list, though.

Mar 6, 06 9:12 am  · 
 · 
fulcrum

Pritzker Prize should be given in every 5 or ten years, in order to keep its integrity.

I want Peter Zumthor to win.

Mar 6, 06 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
montu

KENGO KUMA is a sleeper pick

Mar 6, 06 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

Ito.

Good work, plenty of it, high profile, different from recent winners.

Mar 6, 06 2:19 pm  · 
 · 

ferd Wendy actually works for another practice - they say that working seperately is better for their marriage. He son has his own practice too

I'm hoping another unknown (or relatively unknown) wins

Mar 6, 06 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
marv

coop himmelblau.. it's time..

Mar 8, 06 11:17 am  · 
 · 
erk

Final count down...April 10

- I've heard: "...He is I.M. Pei, architect, not I'm free architect..." (US, b. China)
- Don't you think Mr. Jean Nouvel looks like Dr. No in Austin Powers (France)
- Santiago Calatrava will get it but after finishing all his current work(Spain)
- Charles Moore (India), Moshe Safdie (Canada, b. Israel), Cesar Pelli (US, b. Argentina), etc, etc.

Apr 4, 06 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
aaargink

shigeru ban
predock

a lovely FU to the archi community would be DPZ....it would be great fun to sit back and watch the shit fly.

chris alexander, john portman anyone?

Apr 4, 06 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
adso

It would be great if Kengo Kuma got it, I'd like to see a return to promoting lesser known architects (Siza, Fehn) instead of dipping into the usual suspects (Zaha, Mayne).

Apr 4, 06 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
Andrea316

I vote Polshek. However, Williams/Tsien deserve consideration, though perhaps after the India project. Calatrava and Pelli are sort of the frontrunners in my mind though.

Apr 5, 06 3:39 am  · 
 · 

(i hope) pelli's time is past.

polshek has done some nice work, but the firm is organized so much as a collaboration/partnership can HE really win? (this firm is set up differently than a figure-head firm like gehry, oma, etc.)

tschumi's been awfully quiet lately. otherwise i'd say he'd be a good pick.

Apr 5, 06 7:40 am  · 
 · 
tzenyujuei

john portman? no thanks

Apr 5, 06 9:15 am  · 
 · 
aaargink

damn I knew I had one other "serious" pick. Tschumi should get considered....I guess he's currently known as the dude whose park was built instead of Rem's. He'll be back.....

Apr 5, 06 10:23 am  · 
 · 
phuyaké

Maybe not this year… but what about Ben Van Berkel? Mercedes museum and La Defense done, plus a bunch on the board/in construction (Arnhem masterplan, Wellington waterfront, Lelystad theatre, etc)

Apr 5, 06 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
not Miralles.. the laureate has to be a living architect, no?

i thought mockbee had received it posthumously, but not according to the list on the previous page. i don't know what i was thinking.

i like ben van berkel. un studio has just been getting the bigger international stuff to which jkap referred but the bridge in rotterdam has been around for plenty of time now, enough to have had a big impact on the city’s development along the waterfront (both sides). they’ve got other smaller things that also have some age on ‘em and a good amount of published unbuilt work that have had influence.

Apr 5, 06 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
AP

Zumthor
Ito
Sejima/Nishazawa
Souto de Muora

I would hate to see Calatrave win anything.
Nouvel doesn't excite me either.

Apr 5, 06 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
French

If it's about acomplishment, it should be Nouvel's year. Not that I prefer his work to Van Berkel's, Sejima's or Ito's but he pretty recently finished one of the most brillant towers of this early century, and he should be done with musee des arts premier, the most important completely new building in Paris since the Mitterand years, before the end of the year.

Apr 5, 06 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
Cameron

Mockbee got the AIA Gold Medal posthumously.

Nouvel would be a good choice but I think it should go toward a non-North American or European design team.

Apr 5, 06 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
Auguste Perret

1. Eisenman
2. Zumthor
3. Diller + Scofidio
4. FOA
5. Hmmm. . . . maybe Toyo Ito

Apr 6, 06 12:01 am  · 
 · 
Auguste Perret

My sixth man is Renzo Piano.

Apr 6, 06 12:15 am  · 
 · 
kylemiller

he already won... i'll go with ito

Apr 6, 06 1:20 am  · 
 · 
Janosh

Do they have to give it to someone I've heard of? I'm so burned out on the the international media-architectural complex I would love for someone unexpected to win that would renew my faith in the discipline.

Failing at that, I would settle for someone who has never lunched at the 4 Seasons.

Apr 6, 06 1:53 am  · 
 · 
French

Maybe they should give it to Glenn Small after all...

Apr 6, 06 5:23 am  · 
 · 
Mason White
2006 Prtizker Prize to be annouced on Monday.

last chance to place your bets on your favorite horse/jockey...

Apr 8, 06 10:57 am  · 
 · 
Medit

I'll go with Soto de Moura (though I'm guessing Ito and Nouvel have their chances)

Apr 8, 06 11:37 am  · 
 · 
slasher

1. Richard Rogers
2. Charles Correa
3. Zumthor
4. Ricardo Leggoreta
5. Calatrava

.......the sleeper this year could be Nouvel.

Apr 8, 06 11:43 am  · 
 · 
RKTechture

Looks like the winner has been announced. Paulo Mendes da Rocha of Brazil. Thoughts?

Apr 9, 06 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
Adamus

Is this a joke? The architecture looks like a low-rent Oscar Niemeyer. Is this 1970??? Why in the world are we praising this ugly ass concrete brutalist garbage? It might have been "cutting edge" in the 50's but this is 2006 for god's sake. As a young architect, this Brazilian concrete crap is irrelevant to me. It is definitely a shame that someone like Zumthor or Ito wasn't acknowledged by the Pritzker Committee this year.

Apr 9, 06 2:21 pm  · 
 · 

2 pages of guesses and nobody come even close. and somebody says 'this is 50's stuff and irrevelant to me.'

Apr 9, 06 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
Archinecture

So what, nobody can acknowledge that this is good architecture?

Apr 9, 06 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
JerkStoreCalling

I feel better about Mendes da Rocha winning than I do about Zaha Hadid. If you go to Sao Paulo, he does have a lot of impressive work - maybe you need to see it in the context of the city to truly appreciate it. I'm happy he's getting this global recognition, because I had no idea who he was until I went to Brazil.

Apr 9, 06 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
LBG

why is the pritzker website so shitty?

Apr 9, 06 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
JerkStoreCalling

yeah, even the pdf file with work photos is horrible

Apr 9, 06 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
Medit
2 pages of guesses and nobody come even close

I said Souto de Moura and he speaks portuguese.. like Paulo Mendes da Rocha .. ;)

Apr 9, 06 4:59 pm  · 
 · 

medit, i know and i almost wrote an exception to that. ;)

----

i think Mendes da Rocha's earlier work is beautiful and his recent work is really exciting. i love an architect who doesn't hang on to one successful money shot but has an ability to respond to different times by constantly growing. i think da rocha's work is a great example.

Apr 9, 06 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Hosanna! I have no idea who this guy is.

Apr 9, 06 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
upside

hard to find images of his work, anyone know of any sites?

Apr 9, 06 10:17 pm  · 
 · 
a-f

There's a beautiful book of his work from swiss Niggli Publisher's. I was positively surprised since I didn't know that da Rocha was still alive. As Orhan wrote, his earlier stuff is fantastic - the Mazetti villa, the unrealized Osaka 1970 Pavillion, the Sao Pedro chapel.

Apr 10, 06 3:11 am  · 
 · 
a-f

... but then again, I happen to like so-called "ugly ass concrete brutalist garbage".

Apr 10, 06 3:13 am  · 
 · 
simples

i am happy to see a -relatively- unkown architect be recognized after producing beautiful built work, of solid thought, through out his life; it seems like Mendes da Rocha lives for good solid architecture!
and besides what was posted earlier, i do hope most young architects can still see the relevance of -brazilian- modern architecture;

Apr 10, 06 9:55 am  · 
 · 
hyperbody

I agree with Adamus...I really thought Toyo Ito would get the pritzker...but then again, I would have to analyze Mendes da Rocha's strategies and positions to fully comprehend his designs...but from the looks of it, everyone seems to be quoting his work from the 60s and 70s...and I quote Adamus: "It might have been "cutting edge" in the 50's but this is 2006"

Apr 10, 06 10:51 am  · 
 · 
meta

i don`t think pritzker award is given to an architect who uses cutting edge technology or does the style even matter, really. there is so much more to it.
this is what makes pritzker awards more interesting. it does good to the profession. i believe there are many more architects in other continents who do excellent work (may not be cutting edge), may not even be popular as zumthor or ito, but they deserve such equal honour.

Apr 10, 06 11:17 am  · 
 · 

Orhan Ayyuce

Total Entries: 88
Total Comments: 379

02/19/06 20:42
i just heard a rumor that 2006 prize ceremony will take a place in istanbul.

that is a fuckin good piece of investigative journalism. HA?

Apr 10, 06 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
Kou

Winner has been announced......

Brazilian Paulo Mendes da Rocha

http://www.pritzkerprize.com/main.htm

Apr 10, 06 7:54 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: