Archinect
anchor

2006 Pritzker Prize

Kou

ooppps... i'm way too slow.... sorry people......

Apr 10, 06 7:55 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

the pritzker must not mean that much. for example, this thread has generated about the same amount of responses as "all things british" and "hottest female architects" if it don't get that much interest here, the rest of the world could give a rat's ass. so much for your "starachitects" theory people....

Apr 10, 06 10:50 pm  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

well io guess that settles that , huh ?

good choice though ...

Apr 11, 06 12:41 am  · 
 · 
dia

Any architect or student who isnt at least familiar with some of da Rocha's work, isnt taking their profession/responsibilities seriously.

Apr 11, 06 1:21 am  · 
 · 
Janosh

Sure. There are other things in the world besides architectural monographs. And at the end of the day, those very things will also be substantially more important and relevant to the practice of architecture.

That said, I think that the Pritzker probably means more because of this guy's near anonymity. The award commands enough media attention that its rightful purpose should be putting alternative practices on the map, not reaffirming the importance of people who have already had an El Croquis or A+U devoted to them.

Apr 11, 06 1:33 am  · 
 · 
hyperbody

I'm not trying to say that Rocha's work is undeserving but how come Toyo Ito was not awarded?

Apr 11, 06 2:02 am  · 
 · 
meta

c`mon, awarding the pritzker to rocha this year does not mean, ito will never get it. there`s always a next time.

Apr 11, 06 2:12 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

^^ true true ...
but I feel that it was well deserved .. than say Zaha.

not saying that she didn't deserve the pritzker... just that Rocha should have received it before she did .

Apr 11, 06 2:26 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

that said .. there are a lot of deserving architects, who have not yet received the pritzker

Apr 11, 06 2:27 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

check out the photobook ... very nice...

http://www.pritzkerprize.com/2006/pdf/photobook.pdf

Apr 11, 06 2:28 am  · 
 · 
ruth verde zein

There are probably several architects who may deserve a Pritzker. But surely Mendes da Rocha is among them, and it's well earned.

Architecture is always tainted with fashion:architects can't truly acknowledge what is good unless some fashionable pseudo-authority has already publicized it as cool. It's the same with architectural history: since the eighties brutalism was proscribed as evil, and even when it's not, even when it is sometimes wonderful, you just can realize it - you do believe it can't be good, by default...

Don't naifly belive in a bunch of photos or the dictates of fashion: come visit it and try to feel it in itself, by yourself. If you do so, I'll bet you'll agree with me, and many others: Mendes de Rocha works are truly outstanding. If you never heard about him, that does not prove his works are worthless, on the contrary: it shows how narrow and parochial the so called global architecture debate still is...

Kisses from São Paulo, Brazil, to all you guys!

Apr 11, 06 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
simples

ahhh...quantas saudades de sao paulo!

regardless of Mendes da Rocha's buildings, Sao Paulo itself fascinates me...its realism, its raw power, its unforgiving texture, its contrasting facets of life...

Apr 11, 06 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
colo

Mendes da Rocha is a universal master and a great educator.
"The pyramids are the machine of its own construction" he said one time.
Just look at one of his plans and if you don't get, you just don’t have it.
Quit already.

Television killed architecture.
Stars, stars, stars, so sick of them all.

Apr 13, 06 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
charlize

I'm so pleased to see all those jaws dropping, who in a million years would think the prize would go south the Equator?

I'm delighted.

If anything was once considered "cutting edge", how could it be crap 30/40 years later? Maybe studying history of architecture might help understand that concept better.

"Brazilian concrete crap": Go back to school.

YES to those who said it should be seen in the context of the city. There is WHERE architecture really HAPPENS.

Apr 13, 06 8:48 pm  · 
 · 
bathysphere

charlize - Not in a million years? Try 18. See who won in 1988. Granted, it was a tie.

Apr 13, 06 9:11 pm  · 
 · 
waxwings

murcutt, the crocodile hunter
resides south of the equator

Apr 13, 06 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
bathysphere

I guess I couldn't get my mind off of Brazil. Point well taken.

Apr 13, 06 9:29 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Oscar Neimeyer is antipodean too.

Apr 13, 06 9:30 pm  · 
 · 
charlize

I was refering to this years prize... obviously

Apr 13, 06 9:53 pm  · 
 · 
bathysphere

How many of Murcutt's buildings were done in the city WHERE architecture really HAPPENS?

Apr 13, 06 10:02 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Yup... no architecture exists outside of cities. Actually, no architecture exists outside of cities in Europe. Make that Spanish Cities. Okay, I give.

Barcelona.

Apr 13, 06 10:43 pm  · 
 · 
MiesvanderRice

sorry, knee jerk post here (thank god for the obscurity of the internet), but I am a little disgusted at all the Cameron Sinclair sucking up earlier in this thread. The organization has done good work, he knows Bill Clinton, but c'mon! Have a spine!

Apr 14, 06 12:15 am  · 
 · 
Cameron

me too. I blame abra.

Apr 14, 06 1:04 am  · 
 · 
Medit
[...] in the city WHERE architecture really HAPPENS?

Apr 14, 06 6:38 am  · 
 · 
Medit

this architecture is "happening" as well..:

Apr 14, 06 6:55 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: