Archinect
anchor

Where to find the drafters for shop drawings

fenwayrabbit

I have a project need find a drafter for the shop drawings of a floating stair. My structural engineer can review and sign the drawing, but he is can't draft. Where can I find a drafter?

I also want to know, in general, where can we find drafter even for architectural drawings. I am a licensed architect, sometimes I do need find someone draw for me to speed things up. Thanks.

Apr 19, 24 9:52 am
Non Sequitur

draw it yourself

Apr 19, 24 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

Agreed, I did all the steel shop drawings for my last house, nothing like honing your skills and committing to the build... especially if you fuck up and have to pay the bill for it...thankfully there was no fucking up!

Apr 19, 24 2:27 pm  · 
 · 

If you know your shit, you'd be okay but be careful to the extent of when you are getting involved into the domain of the construction contractor's role. You shouldn't need to be getting into stuff like detailed metal fabrication and welding shop drawings. Insurance companies can almost have a heart attack if you were preparing the shop drawings unless you are also a construction contractor and thus duly licensed and additionally covered by insurance for construction.

Apr 21, 24 9:07 pm  · 
1  · 
whistler

Well I was the owner builder and knew the situation as well as anyone on the job site. By me doing it I kew it would be accurate and correct, Still has the engineer review it all and refine where needed IE stiffener plates etc.

Apr 22, 24 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
reallynotmyname

Try asking the drafting teacher at your local community college.  Contractors in your community may also have contacts for freelance drafters.

Apr 19, 24 12:41 pm  · 
2  · 
Almosthip

I'm pretty sure we are all looking for competent drafters

Apr 19, 24 1:25 pm  · 
 · 

reliable shop drawings could be supplied by the fabricator.

Apr 19, 24 3:00 pm  · 
1  · 
JonathanLivingston

Yep. This. Have the person building it draw it. You might have to provide some preliminary design intent drawings.

Apr 19, 24 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
fenwayrabbit

The fabricator's connection is the first thing I tried. Turned out I have to wait for 4 weeks to get an answer from the drafter. And the fabricator told me the drafter didn't draw it correctly, and he no longer wanted do it. So I started with the second fabricator. He sent the design drawings to the drafter, and no reply any more. After one week, the drafter finally replied and asked for more information. Now I fed him the required information, and started the second round of blind waiting....

Apr 19, 24 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
luvu

The fabricator must draw their own Shopdrawing, this is coming from a commercial world .No blame game would never happen if things went wrong.

Apr 19, 24 7:37 pm  · 
 · 
JonathanLivingston

Sounds like your fabricators not getting the job. T ime to find a new fabricator who can produce shop drawings appropriately

Apr 19, 24 9:18 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

I can pimp my drafter out for $150 an hour. Worldclass, very detail oriented, works on ginormous project experience when she's not working for me. She's a PM for a big millwork shop in NYC. 

Apr 19, 24 7:06 pm  · 
 · 
smaarch

Sounds like you need a set of structural drawings- not shops. Steel shops belong to the fabricator. Have your PE mark up the Architectural and hand them off to Steel folks.

Apr 21, 24 8:17 pm  · 
 · 
paulscreationids

For your project involving shop drawings of a floating stair, you can find drafters on various platforms like freelancing websites such as Upwork, Freelancer, or Fiverr. Additionally, you can explore professional networks like LinkedIn or industry-specific forums where drafters often advertise their services.

As a licensed architect needing assistance with architectural drawings, similar platforms, and networks can be valuable resources. You can also consider reaching out to drafting firms or contacting local architectural schools or professional associations for recommendations.

Apr 22, 24 6:08 am  · 

The main questions are:

1.  How much are you willing to pay?

2.  When do you need them?

Apr 22, 24 10:00 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

Last year I was in a back and forth with a drafter who didn't know what he was doing, a mechanical engineer trying to do steel shops for a 3 rung stair, the first thing he did was eliminate one riser, just because... and so on. It took me 2 months to get shops right with a different guy. I think PE's should be more involved with drawing things, even if they charge more.

Apr 22, 24 10:26 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

I thought shop drawings were produced by the manufacturer or fabricator, not the architect or designer. I have done many shop drawings but only when my company was building whatever the thing was. I have also provided cabinetry shop drawings to third parties. But if I design something, even a properly detailed steel beam, I don't consider that a shop drawing. Am I wrong?

Apr 22, 24 1:24 pm  · 
2  · 

You're not wrong. 

Apr 22, 24 1:30 pm  · 
2  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: