Archinect
anchor

What was schooling like in the 1950-1970s?

EMHS

As the title say how was schooling during this time? What was learned? What was the general state of architecture, and how did students interact with it? 

Apr 26, 24 12:15 pm

Better drugs and more booze?  

Apr 26, 24 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip

the weed wasn't better, but the LSD was

Apr 29, 24 11:42 am  · 
 · 

Drawing with ruling pens? Oh wait that was the pre-WW II. 50s-70s.... drawings done with Rapidograph and other brands of technical pens. 

Yeah, pre-computers. Students didn't have large enough dorms for a IBM 700/7000 or 8000 mainframe, or the IBM 1400 mainframe,  IBM System/360 mainframe or IBM System/370. Gould's PowerStation 3100 and 5100 or PowerNode 9000 didn't exist yet.

Nah, they didn't have CAD let alone BIM in those days. You wrote reports with a mechanical typewriter or with paper and pencil.

Apr 26, 24 1:34 pm  · 
 · 

More booze for sure. Before the studio started, money is collected and the booze run was made. The rest is to listen, look at, critique pencil and ink drawings and models, and drink more. Sometimes these meetings lasted 8-10 hours. You could smoke in the class. Students read a lot more and jumped into the construction sites to find out what was being built and how. No letter or number grades but your instructor and classmates let you know what you had on the wall. I was in the middle of serious modernism vs. post-modernism discussions until they all became the same but what you made out of it was still yours.:)..
In short, a lot of fun and learning happened at Sci-Arc in the late 70s and early 80s.

Apr 26, 24 1:36 pm  · 
3  · 
sameolddoctor

Even the 90s were more fun - computers were just coming in, so there was still a tactile sense to what we were doing ... computers did not run much but certainly made stuff very bland

Apr 26, 24 5:16 pm  · 
2  · 
gwharton

Yeah. Late 80s / early 90s was still mostly drawing by hand, but in 1992 a bunch of brand new Macs running Archicad landed on our studio desks. Some got used, most didn't. Autocad was just starting to dominate in the profession right around that time (into the mid 90s).

Apr 29, 24 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I don’t know but I am sure there were several T-square ashtray combo concepts from night studio. 

Apr 26, 24 5:54 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

also, pencil sharpeners. Kids these days don’t know the value of a sharp 8b lead.   I had 3 different pencil sharpers (four if you count the Olfa blade) and that was only 20y ago. 

Apr 26, 24 5:56 pm  · 
1  · 

Lead holders. Gotta' love 'em.

Apr 27, 24 12:37 pm  · 
1  · 
Almosthip

We learned how to draw while rotating the pencil to keep a fine pointed tip!

Apr 29, 24 11:43 am  · 
2  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: