Archinect
anchor

bacon

treekiller

for all the archinect bacon lovers:

(i gotta offer an apology to all the vegetarians)

Dec 5, 08 1:26 pm
snarkitekt

i have the same corelle pattern! it goes so well with bacon....

Dec 5, 08 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?
Dec 5, 08 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
citizen
Dec 5, 08 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Oh, and no apologies necessary, TK. The V's can always start a broccoli thread.

Dec 5, 08 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

The perfect Holiday gift: Bacon-of-the-month.

I used to have a source for veal bacon. Sadly, that delicacy is no longer available to me. Oh well, the pig we buy every year gives great bacon!

Dec 5, 08 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké
best bacon website?
Dec 5, 08 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio

cool, this thread is about food, movies, and architecture....and just a moment ago it was next to the meat thread...

Dec 5, 08 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
peridotbritches

the bacon above does not offer the satisfying, nay, soul affirming crispy crunch required for real bacon to make one feel alive. I say! Back to the skillet, gents!

Dec 5, 08 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
whatevertect

One of my absolute favorite things to eat is side pork. Which is really thick uncured bacon. Mmmmm, side pork.

Dec 5, 08 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

the bacon smoker in my hood!

http://www.fooddrink-magazine.com/content/view/636/31/

Dec 5, 08 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

It ain't bacon it is

Dec 5, 08 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude
Dec 5, 08 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio

and also about art

and philosophy

these last two with the same name

Dec 5, 08 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

im leaving for london tonight...will consume some good english bacon for all you guys!

Dec 5, 08 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

same....I recall standing in the bacon isle in a grocery store....wondering what the hell do I buy....kinda like
the toothpaste isle....so many choices...so many flavors.

Dec 5, 08 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
spark

Liberty,

You have a pig and we have half a cow. Want to work a trade...???

Oh, and by the way, I like the way my glasses are splattered with grease after frying bacon.

Dec 5, 08 9:32 pm  · 
 · 
e

Some friends and I recently did the back room lunch at Salumi. The place is owned by Mario Batali's parents. On the way out we bought some of their cured meats. One of the things we bought was a guanciale. Guanciale is made from the jowels of the pig, a delicious bacon-like product that enhances almost any dish. It has a very unique flavor and is great in tomato based sauces.

Dec 5, 08 10:23 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

Dec 6, 08 12:16 am  · 
 · 
xtbl

Homer: Wait a minute wait a minute wait a minute. Lisa honey, are you saying you're never going to eat any animal again? What about bacon?

Lisa: No.

Homer: Ham?

Lisa: No.

Homer: Pork chops?

Lisa: Dad! Those all come from the same animal!

Homer: Heh heh heh. Yeah, right Lisa. A wonderful, magical animal.

Dec 6, 08 3:49 am  · 
 · 
blackcomb1

cookin' some right now..... my dog loves it.

Dec 6, 08 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

dread, that's now my favorite chart ever. Thank you for it!!

spark, you guys should come for dinner - you bring a cow dish, we'll make a pig dish, and we'll share!

Dec 6, 08 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

all animals are equal. some are more equal than others. squeeler.

my second orwell reference today~oink

Dec 6, 08 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
dlb

re:sameolddoctor - there is no such thing as "good" english bacon. it is adequate, but you can't call it good.

spending time in the middle east, you get used to having "beef bacon", "veal bacon", "chicken bacon" and the obvious "turkey bacon". so, it is always something of a 'love supreme' to go to the few shops that offer - for non-muslims- true pork bacon - the thin, crispy, bacon - not some of that "canadian" or "english" or even "australian" bacon - but true crisp, almost thin wood veneer breakable, crunchy bacon.

Dec 6, 08 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Whenever pork was served a the local commissary for the western "barbarians" at the old mining camp in Indonesia, the serving girls all wore surgeon's masks and gloves. Also, any plate "touched" by pork had to be rubbed down apparently with special sand imported from Saudi Arabia...

I personally am very glad I belong to a culture open minded enough not to regard a pork chop as the Deadliest Thing Known to Man.

Oh and btw, because of this thread i decided to have a bacon sandwich for lunch today.

Dec 6, 08 3:07 pm  · 
 · 

i took my girls to the corner bar and had a 'loop club'. (the bar being at the turn-of-the-century streetcar loop, of course)

loop club = chicken, guac, bacon on toast. yum.

Dec 6, 08 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
mdler
bacon jam
Dec 6, 08 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

Jules Winnfield: Pigs are filthy animals. I don't eat filthy animals.

Vincent Vega: Yeah but bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste good.

Jules Winnfield: Hey, sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie, but I'd never know 'cause I wouldn't eat the filthy mother-fu**ers. Pigs sleep and root in sh**. That's a filthy animal. I ain't eating nothing that ain't got sense enough to disregard his own feces.

Vincent Vega: How 'bout a dog? Dog eats his own feces.

Jules Winnfield: I don't eat dog either.

Vincent Vega: Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal?

Jules Winnfield: I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy, but they definitely dirty. But, dog's got personality; personality goes a long way.

Vincent Vega: Ahh, so by that rational, if a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal. Is that true?

Jules Winnfield: Well, we'd have to be talking one charming mother-fu**ing pig.

Dec 6, 08 4:47 pm  · 
 · 

Different countries have different attitudes to Bacon. Even around the Med, some like it crisp - like (for me) overdone streaky bacon - and others won't countenance it at all, being unclean and so on.
Francis Bacon, the painter, preferred racks of beef, of various sorts and for various purposes.
To me, the various aspects of bacon are synonymous with:
1) tomato ketchup
2) Soho
3) viscearilty
4) taste
5) about £1.50

hope that fills you in

Dec 6, 08 8:40 pm  · 
 · 
cityboy9

I LOVE ANIMALS!

....they're delicious!

Dec 8, 08 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

"If God hadn't meant animals to be eaten, he wouldn't have made them out of meat."

Yikes! Both deistic AND carnivore... I'm sure my membership in the Democratic party is being carefully reviewed right about now.

Dec 8, 08 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I saw a bumper sticker once: "Cat: the other white meat". Thought it was pretty funny*.

*No, I don't eat cat.

Dec 8, 08 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

im surprised no one has mentioned this yet, this is honestly one of the best artisan chocolate bars i've ever had. the salt, the smoke, the sweet....oh boy.

http://www.vosgeschocolate.com/product/bacon_exotic_candy_bar/exotic_candy_bars

Dec 8, 08 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
e

or the bacon maple bar. mmmm, bacon

Dec 8, 08 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

e - did you try the mole at salumi, its incredible

Dec 8, 08 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
e

Yes, I have had their mole. Yummers indeed.

Dec 8, 08 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl
Dec 8, 08 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

Here's a different, perhaps more disturbing look at pork via Plaid, possibly not safe for work (or those taking issue to pseudo-sexual pork fetishes). Cool graphics tho!

Dec 8, 08 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™
Bacon Salt anyone?

makes every meal taste like bacon. what could be wrong with that?

Dec 8, 08 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
e

mmm, bacon salt. I also like truffle salt.

Dec 8, 08 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
e

crap

Dec 8, 08 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

truffle salt is good - especially on mac n' cheese. my favorite market in LA carries truffle salt and the aforementioned mole.

Dec 8, 08 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
emaze

BACON COOKIES:

4 slices bacon, cut into small pieces
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup butter, chilled
1 cup cheddar cheese
1 egg
1 pinch salt
3 tablespoons heavy cream
1 dash ground black pepper
1 egg yolk, beaten

DIRECTIONS

Fry bacon pieces in a large skillet over medium heat until crispy. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels, and cool completely.
Into a large mixing bowl, place the flour, butter, cheese, egg, salt, and heavy cream. Using the mixer's hook attachment, mix the contents of the bowl together until combined; then transfer the dough to the counter, and quickly mix with your hands. Knead in cooled bacon pieces and pepper.
Roll up the dough into a log, to a diameter of about 1 1/2 inches. Wrap in aluminum foil, and refrigerate for 2 hours, until firm.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Remove foil, cut dough roll into slices, and place slices on greased baking sheet. Brush each slice with beaten egg yolk.
Bake in a preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes, until brown. Remove to a wire rack until cooled completely.

Dec 8, 08 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

emaze - any bacon recipe worth its curing salt would absolutely find a way to incorporate the rendered bacon fat from the frying.

it would be unconscionable otherwise.

Dec 9, 08 3:13 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I can't believe I'm the one posting this when it was puddles' stupid website link that allowed me to find it, but nonetheless, here it is:

turbaconducken

Dec 9, 08 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

that looks so good!

Dec 9, 08 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl
Dec 9, 08 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I know, doesn't it?!? I can practically taste that moist bacony turkey. Man.

Dec 9, 08 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

that turkey reminds me of...

Homer: So, you think you know better than this family, huh? Well, as long as your in my house, you'll do what I do, and believe what I believe. So butter your bacon!

Bart: Yes, father.

Lisa: Mom, Dad, my spiritual quest is over.

Homer: Hold that thought. [to Bart] Bacon up that sausage, boy.

Bart: Dad, my heart hurts.

Dec 9, 08 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
e

Nice phuyaké.

Has anyone ever had turducken? It just seems wrong on so many levels.

Dec 9, 08 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

mmmm poultry bathing in poultry bathing in poultry

Dec 9, 08 4:43 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: