Archinect
anchor

BASEBALL IS BACK!!

lletdownl

sorry...thats not gonna work considering weve one a WS more recently than you have, plus invoking history to defend an argument based on the current season is pretty weak.

lletdownl 1 - puddles 0

Jun 13, 08 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

out of genuine curiosity though puddles,
how are yankees fans feeling about passing on santana now? with hughes and kennedy struggling, are people pissed at cashman? granted, santana hasnt been AS lights out as everyone though, but he would have certainly helped this year.

Jun 13, 08 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

speaking of course for all yankees fans everywhere, i can say that we are not kicking ourselves for "passing" on santana. it was the wrong deal at the wrong time for us. three years ago, with torre still in place, maybe. but not now.

people aren't generally pissed at cashman for the struggles of hughes and kennedy because combined they're only costing $750k or so, whereas the struggles of the still-on-our-payroll carl pavano continue to cause pain and agony.

this is obviously a rebuilding year for many reasons, and to be even within sniffing distance of the competition is encouraging.

the yankees have a lot of life in them still...even this season. a couple of smart call-ups and a hot streak and they're back in business before you know it.

or, um, not.

go yanks!

Jun 13, 08 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

??what??

i'm not even making argument, the white sox stink and everybody knows that.

on the other hand, the yankees have won a world series approximately once every four years and have held that pace for a century now (while it took the white sox approximately 100 years to figure out that pin stripes look good on a baseball uniform). derek jeter alone has won more world series than the white sox.

and speaking of this season the yankess have already won thirty-four games while only losing 33...and the they have already beaten the white sox two game to one in head-to-head matchups. conversely, all the white sox have accomplished is to lead a division in which the two best teams (cleveland & detroit) have apparently decided to not even participate.

this stuff is so obvious that i'm baffled i even have to point it out...are white sox fans all drunk or something?

and as far as passing on santana, i can tell you that we could care less about guitar players...we've got better things to do, like polish all of our trophies

Jun 13, 08 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

this is why people dislike yankees fan. you are beyond reach my friend.

Jun 13, 08 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

btw, youre again arguing that the white sox suck as opposed to the yankees this year. make 1 argument that supports that. taking 2 of 3 in the one series we've played is not gonna cut it.

didnt you just split a 4 game set with the royals?

by youre own logic then yankees=royals

Jun 13, 08 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

I thought everybody knew that only New Yorkers and people who know nothing about baseball like the Yankees. The Yankees are a bunch of self eulogizing jerk offs.

Jun 13, 08 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

HEYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

RIGHT ON!

Jun 13, 08 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

only people who don't know much about baseball think all yankees fans are eugooglizers.

or did you think we were too stupid to know what a eugoogly was?

i think we can all agree that the worst fans in baseball, or in all of professional sports for that matter, are from ******.

Jun 13, 08 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
postal

i don't know ml, i'm pretty sure cub fans live all over the place because of wgn...

Jun 13, 08 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

who said anything about cubs fans?

Jun 13, 08 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

the yankees are certainly royal...i'll agree to that

but oh brother, i can't believe i keep getting dragged into this business of talking about the white sox...this business of arguments again. i'm not arguing that the white sox suck. that's an established fact. being the best team in the worst division this year should be ample evidence of that.

and what's this business about people disliking yankees fans? as far as i can tell everybody loves me...or at least respects for my impeccable taste in baseball teams

Jun 14, 08 10:01 am  · 
 · 
Synergy

The AL Central is the only division in baseball in which every team has won at least one world series, all time. The AL east is just two big money teams and a bunch of "also ran"s. Where is the fun and competition in that?

Jun 14, 08 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

By the way, Santana has been pitching lights out through June. In his 3 starts this month he has pitch 20.2 innings, had 21 strikeouts and given up only 2 earned runs, that is a 0.87 era. I know there has been a lot of talk of his decreased velocity this season, but this seems like classic Santana to me. It's pretty well documented how much of a second half of the season pitcher he is, so maybe he is just getting into his groove again.

Jun 15, 08 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

Synergy - that's a completely disingenuous stat. four of the five teams in the AL East have won championships, and the Rays are only ten years old, so they hardly count.

but while we're on the subject, the yankees alone have won more than double the championships of THE ENTIRE AL CENTRAL COMBINED.

so yeah, like you were saying, we don't know anything about baseball...except how to win.

regardless, we're four games above .500 for the first time this season, moved up to third place and only 5 1/2 games behind the blowsox...and we're smashing the padres as we speak.

Jun 17, 08 8:33 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

AND...

Jun 18, 08 2:26 am  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

make that 5 games.

NYY is, along with DET, the hottest team in baseball over the last 10 games.

Jun 18, 08 2:31 am  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

just sayin'.

Jun 18, 08 2:57 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

hank steinbrenner is awesome...i'm so pleased that he had the guts to call out the national league for their bullshit, antiquated rules

go yankees!

Jun 18, 08 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
postal

yeah, hank really had the guts...to only voice his opinion about a "bullshit" century old rule after "the rule" hurt the yankees...

i'm sorry, i thought these guys were athletes... i didn't realize they couldn't run?

Jun 18, 08 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

regardless of the debate over the DH, most AL pitchers barely run at all, and when they do it's in a straight line!

they corner like a hummer, which is to say slowly and inefficiently.

it's definitely an injury nightmare for AL teams playing in NL parks, and CMW was a casualty without question.

i'm not sure how the yanks are going to rebound from this one, although wang hasn't been the ace necessarily, he's put up some great games and gotten minimal run support on a few. moose is the real ace right now! and pettitte had an awesome game yesterday.

mussina for all-star!

Jun 18, 08 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

get out the brooms. looks like a scrubs sweep.

Jun 22, 08 10:54 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

I love when the cubs are hot in June - it makes the inevitable collapse so much sweeter

Jun 22, 08 11:07 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams
mussina for all-star!

this in a nutshell is why i hate yankees fans. has anyone looked at the all-star balloting? littered with undeserving yankees and red sox. the all-star game with its sham of an online balloting system has become a joke. vote for your favorite player - up to 25 times. gimme a break. back when you could only fill out one ballot at the park per game, you had the best players from the whole league at the all-star game. now you have the most popular players from major market teams. i'm ready to boycott this year.

Jun 23, 08 8:56 am  · 
 · 

i totally agree jafidler...

i mean ortiz is being voted in as a starter and he's played like 5 games this year...

Jun 23, 08 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

Yup, the whole process has been a sham for years. Personally I'd like a more statistical based system for picking all stars. but I know that one doesn't have much traction. I suppose we could have the players picked by coaches and players only?

Jun 23, 08 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

what was nice about the old system of filling out your ballot at the park was that it was democratic. the only real advantage one team had over another was whether that team could fill up its ball park or not. a player like george brett or ozzie smith generally had the same chances as a wade boggs or a don mattingly. it was more merit based. not so today. it takes a bit of the luster off of the number of all star teams a player has been named to.

Jun 23, 08 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

pitchers are not chosen by the fans.

Jun 23, 08 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

fans used to stuff the ballot box in the old days too...the system has never been especially fair to the casual fan, but is much more appealing to the fanatical fans who will sutff ballots at every game or vote twenty-five times per computer or email account or whatever the criteria.

i think that it's a good system to let people vote as many times as they want...maybe president of the usa should also be decided this way

Jun 23, 08 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™
this in a nutshell is why i hate yankees fans.

that's rather disingenuous now, don't you think? i mean, that's why most yankees fans hate most other teams fans, because they're idiots.

ortiz as an all-star this yerar is total bullshit, but he's Calling The Shot for some stupid fanboy and it would be weird if he weren't on the team, right?

ballot stuffing has always been around. get used to it. it's the all star game, not the POTUS. oh wait...

i was somewhat facetious about mussina...it's amazing that he's performed as well as he has. but really the truth of it is that he's tied for second in wins in the AL, and tied at 3rd in wins for the AL/NL combined.

what's not all-star caliber about that?

in fact, there are three yankee pitchers (moose, pettitte and wang) in the top ten in wins. granted the strikeouts (except for pettitte) aren't all that high, nor are the ERA's that low, but they're still winning ball games.

in addition, there are THREE yankees in the top five in batting average...a-rod, damon and matsui.

what was that you were saying about the ballot box being littered with undeserving yankees?

Jun 23, 08 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

ML,

I think most fans realize that wins without a strong era don't mean a whole lot. Moose is the only pitcher you mentioned with an era below 4. He is currently 18th in the AL n that category and the others are worse.

Putting that aside, I'll give you Damon, Rodriguez and Matsui, all of whom are having very strong seasons and are deserving of a spot on the all star team. I think what really irritates fans of other teams is when they look at the balloting totals and see guys like Robinson Cano (AVG. 227) Bobby Abreu, and Jorge Posada, who are not having good seasons, in the running, simply because they are Yankees players.

You are right though, it isn't just a Yankees problem, it is a Yankees, Redsox, White Sox, Rangers and Tigers problem, since they seem to take up all five spots on nearly every single position on the entire American League ballot. Sure, some of the other teams don't have the same fan base, but it would be nice for them to see their star players get recognized.

Jun 23, 08 7:53 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

1985 al all star team:

1. Rickey Henderson, OF, New York Yankees
2. Lou Whitaker, 2B, Detroit Tigers
3. George Brett, 3B, Kansas City Royals
4. Eddie Murray, 1B, Baltimore Orioles
5. Cal Ripken, Jr., SS, Baltimore Orioles
6. Dave Winfield, OF, New York Yankees
7. Jim Rice, OF, Boston Red Sox
8. Carlton Fisk, C, Chicago White Sox (in place of Lance Parrish)
9. Jack Morris, Detroit Tigers

2008 al all star team (as it stands now):

k. youkilis, 1b, red sox
d. pedroia, 2b, red sox
a. rod., 3b, yankees
d. jeter, ss, yankees
j mauer, c, twins
d ortiz, dh, red sox
m ramirez, of, red sox
j. hamilton, of, rangers
i. suzuki, of, mariners

which team would you rather watch? how can yankees fans be blind to this?

Jun 23, 08 8:18 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

agreed - cano, abreu and posada need not be on the all-star list.

but you can't say that wins w/o a strong ERA don't mean a lot. if you mean just with regards to all-star balloting, then sure, a pitcher who gets by on run support alone shouldn't be on a list with a bunch of no-hit gems, but a W is a W, no matter how you get it.

part of the problem is sheer mathematics my yankee-hating friend.

the NY fanbase is eminently larger than most other teams', and if fans vote on a similar per-capita percentage, yeah it gets all screwy.

when all-star games really meant nothing this wasn't a problem, but since they actually determine WS home field advantage, that's a big deal that should be broken down by stats, not popularity.

MLB should take a cue from the DNC. the popular vote doesn't actually determine anything, because the all-star game is representational democracy after all. the superdelegates n this case would be the sportswriters association and a core group of MLB bigwigs, former managers, all HOF inductees, etc.

Jun 23, 08 8:32 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

jafidler - what do you mean by that? what are yankees fans blind to regarding that list? i don't get your point.

Jun 23, 08 8:34 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

i'm not arguing necessarily the second list is any worse than the first (though i think you probably could), but instead, the all star game is just more fun to watch when you get a more equal distribution of players from the various teams. my feeling is the problem is half fan balloting and half free agency. in any case, it makes me a lot less interested in the game when 2/3 of the players are from two teams (thank god for joe mauer). i think it could come back to bite baseball in the arse.

Jun 23, 08 8:45 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

oh right, yeah we're in agreement there. not even including the fact that the last thing i want to do is watch a bunch of overrated blowhard chowderheads dicking around in my stadium!

if anybody is stuffing ballot boxes, it's boston fans who want to seek some type of voodoo by playing a mess of sox in the last AS game at yankee stadium. they're all fucked up in the head, boston fans. you know what i'm saying?

fan balloting is a problem...there should be some kind of award for winning the popularity contest that fan balloting has become, obviously, but the real AS teams are decided upon by people who actually know what they're talking about.

or maybe as a fan you can fill out a ballot, but you have to pass some type of baseball certification quiz before your vote counts.

you know, infield fly rule, where should the field umps stand with one on and a ball hit to left field, good counts to hit and run, etc

Jun 23, 08 8:59 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

i'm not entirely for statistics being the basis for all star selection either. from the games i've attended this year the players i've been most excited by are jim thome, vlad guerrero, and magglio ordonez (homer pick), and all three made it onto my ballot. they're not picks that represent my baseball iq, but more fundamentally just who i would want to see. i guess in a way its not all that much better than the red sox fan who lazily clicks away at his starting line up, but at least it's not (so much) biased exclusively by the team i root for.

Jun 23, 08 11:04 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

that 1985 all-star game sucked because the AL lost 6-1 to the antiquated national league with their yankee-hating, pitcher runs for himself rules

as long as the american league keeps dominanting then i have no problem allowing fans (even knuckle head sox fans) voting for the players...whatever it takes to insure that yankees have home field ad in the world series

Jun 24, 08 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

so, where is architphil?

is it possible the rays are the real team to beat this year in the east??

taking 2 in a row in a critical series from boston is a big deal no matter what any homers here say. and with the yankees loosing again the rays have a 2 1/2 game over the red sox and a pretty commanding 7 1/2 games over the yanks with baltimore ant toronto 8 1/2 and 11 games back respectively.

come on architphil... i figured youd be in here talking... im doing your job for you!

oh, and the pale hose won their 6th game in a row as well as their 6th straight time over the floundering Indians.
they also maintain the best run differential in the AL, and the best team era in the baseball.

and had the highest batting average, highest slugging percentage, highest runs per game, and most home runs in all of baseball for the month of june.

so.... power rankings for the 1st half (this is a cumulative attempt, not a 'this week' attempt)

1. Red Sox
2. Rays
3. Cubs
4. White Sox
5. Angels

the second half is interchangeable as no one has really earned it...

6. Oakland
7. St. Louis
8. Phillies
9. Twins
10. Tigers

tigers get the 10th spot purely and simply because they finished the first half at 500... when no one (including myself) thought they would get even close to back in it. I wouldn't say they are back in it yet, they are 1 more bad stretch away from insurmountable deficits, but they are closer than i thought they'd get.

Jul 2, 08 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

the rays are for real. and they brawl!

Jul 2, 08 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

hahaha, the tigers were actually one game over .500 at the half. they also gained 5 games on the pale hoes in the month of june. if this team had not been plagued by countless injuries, the sox would not be in first place right now.

Jul 2, 08 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

eh maybe...they still have below average starting pitching...even when healthy.

lets not forget that the white sox are 13 games over 500 and have done nothing extraordinary...

Jul 2, 08 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

The white sox are still relying too heavily on the long ball, they better hope they clinch home field advantage throughout the playoffs somehow, or they are sunk.

Jul 2, 08 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

actually, i take back what i said about the injuries. if it weren't for the injury to bonderman and willis's terrible start, the tigers wouldn't have found gallaraga and bonine, their two most reliable starters. who knows if they can keep it up? but verlander's bound to improve (and has), the bullpen has zumaya and rodney back and looking close to form, and now marcus thames has emerged as a solid rf. when mags and cabrera return, they will have the best 4-5-6 hitters in baseball. who cares if rogers and robertson are inconsistent; they really only need be serviceable with that lineup.

Jul 2, 08 1:55 pm  · 
 · 

thanks lletdownl...

i didn't want to gloat too much... but it's a great time right now... i was at the game on monday night and watched on tv last night... we're ready for the sweep tonight...

i think that longoria pretty much has ROY wrapped up... he should get the gold glove at third base too... but crede will probably end up getting the nod... longo keeps making at least one incredible play every night...

i'm just sad that i'm going to be living in philly by the time the rays get to the playoffs... maybe they'll play the phillies in the series!?!

Jul 2, 08 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

absolutely no way Crede gets it this season, he has been making all kinds of errors.

Jul 2, 08 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

synergy is right, Crede has been horrible defensively this year... has the lowest fielding percentage of any AL 3rd basemen... along with the amazing plays he makes every night, hes making tons of stupid throwing errors... never seen anything like it.

agreed on longoria for ROY... so far this season, i think hes been the better rookie. but a lot will depend on what Joba does starting... im pretty sure he's eligible for it this year too isnt he?

Jul 2, 08 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

and ja... you totally jinxed bonine...

Jul 2, 08 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

so true, so true.

Jul 2, 08 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

its ok dont fret... just a simple jinxing

Jul 2, 08 2:33 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: