Archinect
anchor

BASEBALL IS BACK!!

as i dejectedly left citizen's bank park on sunday night after the 10-2 beatdown i was thinking to myself "it's going to take some kind of miracle to beat hamels and get this series back to st. pete"... perhaps the storm is that miracle!!!! the weather people hear in philly are saying that there is no way that they'll be able to play tonight, so game 5 probably won't be until tomorrow... pena and longoria showed signs that they may finally be coming out of their 0 for the series slump...

and i have to agree with lletdownl... i've seen a lot of both the rays and the phillies this season and overall i think that the rays are a better team... unfortunately, they certainly haven't played that way in the WS... i'm wondering if the pressure finally got to them... longo certainly hasn't looked like himself... but he did sign my world series program and give my wife a ball... so he's all good in my book!

however, emilio is right... the phillies are a better team right now... or at least through the first 4 games... and that is really all that matters...

Oct 28, 08 8:58 am  · 
 · 
Emilio

this WS is turning into an absurdity: between the weather, the AWFUL, awful officiating (effecting both teams), and MLB's kowtowing to the dictates of network tv, i don't know which is more absurd. that 6th inning should never have been played, it was a friggin' joke. forget the damn rule, just stop it in the 4th, the 5th max, when it started to really pour, and start it again with the phils up 1 point. a joke, a friggin' joke.

Oct 28, 08 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

i understand MLBs position though... imagine the DISASTER of calling the game after the 5th with the phillies up 1 run...

thats an official game... WS over, tampa goes home. there would have been riots from all but the most bias phillies fan.

or

imagine if they had called the game in the 4th, it would have been a re start... no suspencion of play since the game was not yet official... in this case there would have yelling and screaming that the phillies got screwed since kazmir was pitching so poorly.

either way, i think MLB did the right thing in letting that game get to the 6th inning and at least making certain that it would be an official game. i think they got really lucky that the rays tied it up and that they werent forced to call it and declare the phillies the winner.

seems to me there needs to be a Playoff rule change stating that any rain out is a suspended game... it seems horribly unfair that in the DS, CS or WS a 6 inning game canceled by rain would undo 162 games in the regular season...

Oct 28, 08 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio

yes, a rule change definetely: you just can't keep playing in crap and hope a tie happens - which, btw, is an unfair tie because the conditions don't allow proper play. selig should have said "F the rule, we can't keep playing this, but we WILL continue it where it left off", and he should have said it much earlier.

Oct 28, 08 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

well, the game is cancelled today

Oct 28, 08 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

selig declared that he would not have let the series hinge on a called game.

but man did MLB get lucky with that 2nd run from the rays.

the officiating hasn't been good, and i think the stirke zone was particularly stingy for kaz last night, but yeah, the calls have been effecting both teams.

btw - did you hear that MLB is in the tank for OBAMA?

Hilarious...Thanks to Talking Points Memo.

Oct 28, 08 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

Oh man. I watched Game 5 (3.5 innings anyway) from practically the opposite side of the planet - 12 hours difference. The Phillies bullpen is ridiculous. And guess where I'm now? I'm at the airport headed towards Philly. I can't believe I couldn't watch this at home. I bet my friends had tickets.

Architphil - so you're in Philly now huh? The "Phil" in my previous name of "Philarch" actually was for Philly!

Oct 30, 08 1:38 am  · 
 · 
lletdownl

Well... congrats to the Philly faithful out there...

sorry architphil... im sure you guys we'll be competitive for years though so it wont be your last shot at a championship... hey... you could always be a cubs fan... just imagine how bad THAT would suck...

Oct 30, 08 9:47 am  · 
 · 

well it was a fun ride while it lasted... it will be interesting to see how next season goes... whether the rays will continue to win now that they know they can or if they'll collapse under the pressure of actually being a good team now...

with the rays going to the world series i've been completely ignoring the football season so far and it is already half over... at least there's a good game this weekend... GO GATORS!!!

i can't wait 'til march for spring training...

Oct 30, 08 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio

thank god they won it last night, cause we can't take any more games like that. but the city is ecstatic right now...25 years of waiting since the last major championship...parade tomorrow.

aphil, the rays are a very good, young team, and they probably did burn most of their energy (although not their grit) in the boston series. they'll be back without doubt; in fact, i wouldn't be surprised if they take next year's ws (barring a phillies repeat).

Oct 30, 08 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

nah... white sox will take next years world series

Oct 30, 08 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

capping off a miraculous year in which the bears will win the super bowl, the blackhawks the stanley cup and the bulls win the finals.

Oct 30, 08 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

so im streaming wxpn outta philadelphia and they are playin a previously aired radio takeover segment with shane victorino and he just played a message to you rudy by the specials and is a huge reggae ska fan. awesome.

Oct 31, 08 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio

cool, now i like him even more.

but THE moment from the victory parade in philly was when chase utley got up to the microphone in the stadium and said "world champions.....world fucking champions!"....it was live tv here with no delay...gotta love him too.

Oct 31, 08 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

yeah yeah yeah, way to go phillies. great job on that world series, but the big news today?!?!

Texeira's A Yankee!!!

Add him to the list of new Yankees - CC and AJ.

Fucking Yankees. The best part? They're dropping some $88mil from their payroll so even including these massive blockbuster deals their payroll will likely dip below $200m for the season. First time for that in a while.

Fucking Yankees. Is it too early to start talking baseball?!?

We'll need to start a 2009 thread soon. Maybe next week.

Dec 23, 08 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
xacto

...maybe we can get manny too. i would love to wear a yankee's ramirez tshirt jersey around gund...

Dec 23, 08 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

well, good riddance to the yankees. i wish wish wish wish wish i could believe that dropping HALF A F+CKING BILLION DOLLARS IN ONE OFFSEASON wouldnt mean an automatic playoff bid. I wish it were true that boston and tampa would embarrass them again, but with all that talent they just purchased, its hard to believe it could happen.

oh yankees... the dick cheney of baseball... hated by everyone, respectful of no one, yet painfully powerful

Dec 23, 08 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

Feb 11, 09 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

Feb 12, 09 9:26 am  · 
 · 
lletdownl

Feb 13, 09 9:40 am  · 
 · 
lletdownl

...go go sox...

Feb 16, 09 10:23 am  · 
 · 

does anyone think griffey can get the all-time hr record in the next 3 years? if he can surpass ruth, it will be his alone for a long time.

Feb 16, 09 10:30 am  · 
 · 
lletdownl

i really dont think he can...

if he allowed someone to DH him, and gave up his dream of playing in the outfield, i think its possible, but i dont see griffey being happy DH'ing for enough years to get that record...

though i really really wish he did, id love to see Griff the home run king

Feb 16, 09 10:53 am  · 
 · 

sorry, meant to say surpass hank aaron...no disrrespect.

Feb 16, 09 11:10 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

its that time

Feb 16, 09 7:37 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

“You are going to take batting practice and the rats look bigger than a pig out there,” said Guillen, referring to the batting cages under the right-field bleachers. “You want to take a look?

“I think the rats out there are lifting weights,” added Guillen, drawing huge laughter from the large crowd of assembled media.

..."What’s wrong with saying I don’t like this ballpark?” Guillen said. “You ask any player which one they like less and they might throw in some names. Ask me about it, and this is the one I pick.

“It’s a museum. They like to come to Wrigley Field. I don’t say people don’t like to come here. I say Ozzie don’t like to come here.

“But hey, you have to do what you have to do,” Guillen added. “Wake up in the morning and go to Wrigley Field is not a good thing. But it’s fun to play against them.”

Feb 16, 09 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

ozzie has some good ones, but when it comes to hitting the nail right on the head, no one says it better than Chicago's very own,

barack obama

"You go to Wrigley Field, you have a beer, beautiful people up there," Obama said, according to transcripts released by ESPN. "People aren't watching the game. It's not serious. White Sox, that's baseball."

Feb 16, 09 8:57 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

alright, its officially begun...

hows everyone feeling about their respective teams...

Apr 6, 09 11:21 am  · 
 · 
Synergy

I'm anticipating a run away season of my twins smashing the faces of the pathetic white sox into the mud week after thrilling week.

Apr 6, 09 11:23 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

how many games are gonna be rained out today?

Apr 6, 09 11:37 am  · 
 · 
lletdownl

both sox have had their openers cancelled

anyway... the twins wont be smashing anyones faces... especially with 2 of their best players health in question (maurer and baker)

either way, the central might be the most competitive (or most mediocre) division in baseball...

indians might win 85-87, twins might win about that, sox might win about that, and the royals might be a 500 team along with the tigers. i wouldnt be suprised if all 5 teams finish around 500... 87 or so wins might win it again...

Apr 6, 09 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
postal

Synergy, pictured above is:
Toby Hall: Victory Chariot
John Danks: Face Smasher

looking forward to a fun year... and after contreras' and colon's last performance in ST, i'm pretty confident.

Things I'm afraid of:
Abusing the term "Blackout"
Alexei Ramirez convincing Ozzie that he can play better with gloves on both hands, and do nifty glove flips to every base.
The Carlos Quentin becoming just Carlos Quentin
Corky Miller eating small children in the first row
Marth Stewart doing a Venezuelan themed show and inviting Ozzie Guillen on

Apr 6, 09 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
cln1

I had red sox tix for today, drove the 1.5 hrs out to beantown only to turn right around and head home - oh well, at least i didnt spend $50 on beer before they canceled the game.... get to do it all again tomorrow! - except tomorrow i have a meeting in Boston 2 hrs before the game, so I wont be able to get all boozed up. should make it there just in time.

Red Sox have a stacked rotation and bullpen this year, not too sure on how their run production will be... Sox/Yanks/Rays AL East should be exciting.

Apr 6, 09 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i wonder what the cubs will do on the anniversery of kerry wood's 20k game back in 98. every year its been treated like a holiday by cubs broadcasters. woodie's in cleveland now.

Apr 6, 09 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

pitchers and catchers report | check
spring training underway | check
a 2010 world series in queens | tbd

go METS!

yankees, red sox, and phillies go suck it.

Mar 2, 10 11:53 am  · 
 · 
postal

ha, just saw that post i put up last year... let me just hang my head in shame... "i'm pretty confident" ha, ugh!

contreras decided to be terrible, and colon decided to go into hiding (twice)... fun year!

will the al central go to 163 again? will buerhle throw another no-no?

is eddie too tall jones, too tall?

good luck to everyone and anyone... (and beta, here's to hoping that you guys don't get completely decimated by the injury bug again)

Mar 2, 10 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

postal, one of our guys is out with pink-eye! doh!

Mar 2, 10 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

prediction - juan pierre's 2010 line 300/350/600

Mar 2, 10 3:13 pm  · 
 · 

oh yeah, its spring training time... i watched a few innings of the game on mlbtv this afternoon... looking forward to the season.

go rays!!! it will be nice to see what they can do with a real closer.

Mar 2, 10 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
db

GO CARDS!

Mar 2, 10 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Hopefully no racing sausages will be attacked this year.

Mar 4, 10 10:10 am  · 
 · 
randy1

oh...c'mon fans! where are the predictions? i have an over/under # for all of you to guess which team it is and what your prediction would be for that team (over or under the #).

the number is: 78.5.
now which team am i thinking about?

hints: the yankee over/under is: 91
the dead sox over/under is: 90.
the team is not in the american league.

who has the balls? #'s taken from vegas insider.com

Mar 5, 10 11:38 am  · 
 · 
erfrfe

Hi !
I've just visited this forum. Happy to get acquainted with you. Thanks.

Mar 9, 10 4:49 am  · 
 · 
lletdownl

an NL team with over/under 78.5. ill go with the Brewers

Mar 9, 10 11:44 am  · 
 · 
randy1

lletdownl - will the brew crew be over or under 78.5 wins?

that is the ????

Mar 9, 10 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

ill go under on this one...

their pitching staff is not good... not good at all... randy wolf is their number 2? and their big off season aquisition?
plus... at some point this season they will trade fielder. They cant pay him what he deserves, and will move him along in hopes of turning him into at least a few prospects.

ill go one further and tell you who gets fielder from the brewers too...
the white sox...

Mar 9, 10 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

i didnt cheat either on my guess of the brewers... FYI... i didnt go to the website and look up the over unders... i am just a talented man i suppose

Mar 9, 10 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
randy1

my first thought about 78.5 was the mets (mess). they wouldn't reach 78 wins. but after they released the news of their shortstop yesterday - i'll venture to guess they won't even reach 75 wins - more likely to only get 72 wins like they did last year.

yeah - fielder should go by the trading deadline - white sox is a good call since they will be in the run for it by that time.........

btw -- since this is an architecture site--- has anyone seen the new stadium by ITO with the PV roof? it is by far a better design than the recent new stadiums in NYC.

Mar 12, 10 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
JK_Administrator

At some point this period they will trade fielder. They cant pay him what he deserves, and will move him along in hopes of turning him into at least a few prospects.

ill go one further and tell you who gets fielder in the brewers too...

the white sox...
You may also like my web site

Jul 30, 10 9:09 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: