Archinect
anchor

men thread

beefeaters

i love how you all have gays stereotyped as more feminine than the "real men". seriously guys, every comment which was made about gays in this thread is somehow characterizing them as feminine and less manly. the wrestler comment, the un-macho comment, etc. i would hope as educated people you wouldnt lower yourselves to such easy stereotypes

Aug 13, 07 5:54 am  · 
 · 

aren't we stereotyping 'men' anyway, beefeaters? your comment is a good one, an addition to the discussion about how different people are characterized, but the stereotypes are necessary too. it seems in any good discussion of a general group (MEN) you've got to talk in types and typical terms and have those generalities popped so that you can move on.

it's natural to think and talk in generalities. it's how we understand the world. if we couldn't break the variety of experience and knowledge down in to manageable chunks with big-picture labels, we would be overwhelmed. -type-ing is the basis of things like racism, sexism, and religious wars and of most good science, design, and communication.

Aug 13, 07 7:56 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

fuller, i may look dumb, but in reality i am actually dumber than i look....wait is this the sarcasm thread?

Aug 13, 07 11:11 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

...ps, i know it was in a studio setting, i forget what he looks like, but suffice it to say that if he ran into me on the street and i thought i could take him, he'd no doubt tell me his name, and i would genuflect faster than a citizen before the queen.

Aug 13, 07 11:14 am  · 
 · 
alfrejas24

My hat off to you rfuller. I've never grappled but if I had a chance like yours I'd take it. Maybe a little barbaric but I do think a man shouldn't be afraid to walk into the arena even though he's outmatched and find out what he's made of.

Aug 13, 07 11:21 am  · 
 · 
Aug 14, 07 6:43 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

nice ashtray...)(

Aug 14, 07 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

that looks.....comfy

Aug 15, 07 4:51 pm  · 
 · 

unless it doesn't match up quite right. ouch.

Aug 15, 07 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller
The Nut Bra
Aug 15, 07 5:00 pm  · 
 · 

how sad is that I see a face in that image/impression?

Aug 15, 07 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

how many guys did they measure to develop that prototype seat? If they asked, most would exaggerate (wouldn't you?) Now that I think about it, that is very, very gay (in a good way) - I can't imagine any breeders having that in their pad.

Aug 15, 07 10:00 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I heard, I think yesterday, and I think on Fresh Air, a war journalist quote some old saying that goes:

"Men start wars so women won't laugh at them"

This made me giggle and get tearful at the same time.

Aug 30, 07 11:36 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

Why would we be laughed at if we didn't fight?

Aug 30, 07 11:54 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

guess they never saw lysistrata.

Aug 30, 07 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
she who disbands armies

now that's a strong positive woman figure to lust after

Aug 31, 07 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

congrats to ether, who is now a dad!

I've been thinking about what fatherhood really means and the role that I will taking on next spring (though it has already begun). I expect to fill an equal share of nurturing and taking care of the sapling. My role model did what he could after a day at the office to care for us and I hope to push that further. Since mrs tk's profession often has evening hours, I can see cutting out of the office early to take care of the twig while she sees clients. That makes the kitchen my man-cave (its not that I don't like her cooking, as a feminist young lady she choose to ignore developing these skills versus my upbringing with a feminist mom who taught me how to fricassee and more from a tender age).

So for all the dads in archinect space, do we need a 'dad thread' or can we co-exist peacefully with all these other 'men'?

Nov 10, 07 10:41 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

i have decided after watching "Idiocracy" I am going to have as many children as possible, even illegitimate ones, even ones I can't support, if only to improve the IQ of the gene pool.

C'mon smart people, lets get to it!

Nov 10, 07 10:52 pm  · 
 · 
obelix

I live in SF and consider myself liberal but still get p.o'd when a woman waits in line in front of me to use the men's restroom even though the women's restroom is open. I mean, c'mon already.

Nov 12, 07 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Wow, Staghorn, does that really happen? I'd get po'd too. I mean, I use the men's room all the time, but if the women's is open that's where I go - we have better aim.

Nov 12, 07 8:15 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Angus (my 4year old) is currently discovering gender difference. No, he's not playing doctor with anyone!

Lately he keeps saying things like "'Pretty' is a girl word. Boys say 'cool'". Or "Girls like yellow. Boys don't like yellow". I'm not teaching him this stuff, so h's picking it up somewhere.

And, he is currently sitting next to me drawing a cityscape and proudly drew "the hugest building in the city - that's my building".

As Steven said on thread central - boys and girls are just different. It;s hardwired. And yes there is a lot of overlap, moreso in some people than others.

Nov 12, 07 8:45 pm  · 
 · 
ArchiNectar

If a woman uses the men's room, then she should stand.

Nov 12, 07 8:49 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

It's late, but I just found this post on Sweet Juniper (I got there from Daddytypes) about being a father, and being a real man.

It made me cry. And reminded me of this thread. Men can be so fucking awesomely wonderful.

Aug 1, 08 1:10 am  · 
 · 
sharkswithlasers

"but how many people have you met that can say they got beat up by Royce Gracie?"

Not Matt Hughes.

Aug 1, 08 9:53 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Awesome post LB, it can take alot of balls to show vulnerability when your not supposed to.

"Architect in Manhattan, he went to Yale"

HAHA! That sounds ALOT better than it actually is.

Aug 1, 08 10:08 am  · 
 · 
chupacabra

I was at the grocery store yesterday with my son Maceo (I do all the carting him around and shopping and dishes, etc...as well as doing grad school...as my wife is a 7am - 7pm family practice doc) and as we walked by a man he said," I want to have a child," in a very happy tone.

I asked him what made him say that...and he told me that my son and I looked so happy together as we were laughing and playing as we stammered through the isle of foodstuff. It made me feel wonderful inside to know that my enjoyment of my relationship with my son was so apparent to a stranger...so much so that he wanted to have that same experience.

Being Mr. Mom is the best job I have ever had.

Aug 1, 08 10:51 am  · 
 · 
ARCHlTORTURE

in terms of 'domestic roles' i would say my wife and i basically split things up by the method of "i do everything that she is not able to do"

that being she is 5'-0" tall and 100lbs soaking wet while i'm more than a foot taller and twice as large otherwise... so all things requiring heavy lifting, things high up or fixing things that are broken generally fall to me...

she does most of the traditional female things like dishes, dinner, and laundry but she would also rather do that every day instead of have to mow the lawn twice a week or try to figure out how to replumb the shower or take out the trash...

in a wider view she also makes more than twice as much money as me and runs her own business while i go off to work in a corporate office every day...

personally i think the time when someone best gets a chance to figure out what being a man is is when you have to teach someone else...basically fatherhood of some sort...

although i do not have a child i can see that it will be a huge challenge to raise them so that they can be a good citizen someday... i think this challege is most apparent in the obvious failures we can witness everyday... aimless, careless individuals who clearly were never shown how to live a responsible human life...

Aug 1, 08 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

wait, she thinks an architect who went to yale is a good thing?!?

Aug 1, 08 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
weem_of_crete

Isn't part of being a man atoning for your own father's shortcomings or failures?

Aug 1, 08 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

no.

Aug 1, 08 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
sharkswithlasers

Whaddya mean, weem? Example?

Aug 1, 08 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

I get what weem is saying completely.

Aug 1, 08 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

please elaborate.

imho my dad's life is/was defined by wholly different circumstances than my own...to judge him and then my life to his is quite absurd and in a large part childish.

Being a man is an amorphous statement...it depends on what one considers being a man is. To my father that is something different than it is to me. So, there is no atoning for his shortcomings as I care much more about atoning for my own human shortcomings. Always trying to improve on myself as I view myself...not as I view my father...he did what he had to do based on his own situation and reality which would be impossible for me to ever really fully comprehend...

That is my 2 cents.

Aug 1, 08 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
idiotwind

guys are fucking dorks and women are looney

Aug 1, 08 4:06 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: