Archinect
anchor

serpentOMA's pavillion

MADianito

i give a 2 thumbs up for the chosing of OMA/Koolhaas for next summer's pavillion, what u think??, and has anyone saw pictures of an idea?? rendering?? or a blue foam model??

Dec 8, 05 11:16 am
Mason White
MAD - thanks for turing this into a discussion from the news, (so i will double post to get this in the right place).

It just feels like Serpentine are stocking their cabinets with trophys, rather than providing an outlet for new talent or even lesser lauded global talent on their own territory (Caruso St John, Adjaye, etc). And that seems the possibility of the pavilion / expo format...

anyway, OMA is about program and not site / context so i think OMA building in the UK is a red herring and a pavilion (programless) seems particularly out of sync. Lets see, and I will reserve judgement for now. Hopefull they will put the blue foam away for this one...

Dec 8, 05 11:28 am  · 
 · 
MADianito
i will mirror mine then too.....

maybe ur right.... (i will push for PARALEL architecture next year dont worry) ;-)

by the way i wanna see images of it already, sorry im really curious what they can come up with...i hope nothing close to the terrible circus tent they did for the EUROPEAN UNION thing....

Dec 8, 05 11:29 am  · 
 · 

I think its a function of the serpentine's attempt to sell the final product that process lends itself to selecting the uber celebrity architects...

Dec 8, 05 11:38 am  · 
 · 

context: no contest

Dec 8, 05 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
Mason White

actually, RK, here is my tip.

Lets put this OMA blue foam interest to the freaking test. Build the pavilion all out of blue foam, for real:
Structural foam, meshed foam, transparent foam, long-span foam, foam with a pool, foam in curves, monumental foam, foam with sugar, perforated foam, green-screen foam, foam impregnated with foam, liquid foam, gaseous foam, bioluminescent foam, expanding foam.

happy to serve as a consulatant in this venture - call me. we'll talk.

Dec 8, 05 12:11 pm  · 
 · 

sole solution

OR

not original enough

Dec 8, 05 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
thenewold

If you haven't tried blue foam, don't knock it. Great stuff. Once you go foam, you never go back....

Dec 8, 05 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
mauOne™

Most of the previous pavilions were cool to me because they were excellent in terms of design, specially Toyo Ito’s.
My worry begins when MVRDV tries to “challenge” the concept and makes something not viable, and we could fear that OMA challenges the concept again and goes with a virtual tent or something like that.
In that case we will not see a good design anymore, but a conceptual expression, which is cool, but not as cool as a great architectural piece.

:o)

Dec 8, 05 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
thenewold

mauOne - that's a really great point. now that I think about it, I fully expect this 'pavilion' to be an extension of the AMO stuff they've done for the EU govt and for the Chinese govt. which is similar in terms of a project. thought but not designed.

I predict a barcelona pavillion redux (the normal cheap-fetishized jux with expensive materials) but with 'content' (no pun) instead of the normal anti-program pavilion.

Dec 8, 05 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

i hope rem is reading so he will try his best to do (as usual) something totallydiferent than expected, so it wont be sucha dissapointment as we are already thinking it would be (yeah i also hope wont end up in a tent-like thing)

Dec 8, 05 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
thenewold

is there any requirement that it be covered at all ? the uncovered pavilion would be a rethinking for sure. no tent whatsoever.

Dec 8, 05 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
AP

i second Barcelona Pavillion redux

Dec 8, 05 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
AP

...and I wouldn't mind it either.

Dec 8, 05 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
Louisville Architect

barcelona pavillion redux...3rd. anytime rk can riff on mies, he will.

Dec 8, 05 2:34 pm  · 
 · 

contentious

Dec 8, 05 2:37 pm  · 
 · 

barcelona pavillion redux

You mean like a reenactment of a reenactment?--Installation of the 1986 Milan Triennale

Dec 8, 05 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
Louisville Architect

exactly.

or, [steve, you'll probably know this] did mies ever propose anything for uk that wasn't built?

Dec 8, 05 2:50 pm  · 
 · 

[npc, I have no idea, but there might be some obscure unexecuted Mies project for the UK.]

But isn't Koolhaas now more into reenacting unbuilt Kahn and/or Tyng?

Dec 8, 05 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
Louisville Architect

the next serpentine?:

Dec 8, 05 3:05 pm  · 
 · 

King Kahn Tyng

Dec 8, 05 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
thenewold

if you squint, that looks like a super badass and coo king kong level. i can see the barrells rolling.

Dec 8, 05 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
Ludwig

Lord Palumbo comissioned Mies to design a glass tower and plaza for London in 1967 (i imagine a la Seagram, I've never seen any drawings of the project), demolition of a number of historic buildings and the conservative british mentality defeated the project, instead London got a 'delirious' stirling
the XL Poultry 1

So, what can come out of all this net of relationships? Kahn, mies, koolhaas, stirling, modernism...

btw Lord Palumbo is the present chairman of the trustees of the Serpentine Gallery

Dec 8, 05 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
AP

then a meis redux is surely in the works!

Dec 8, 05 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
AP

that's mIes...

Dec 8, 05 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
thenewold

meistakes indeed

Dec 8, 05 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
Darren Hodgson

What happened to the MVRDV proposal for the Serpentine? I knew it got put on hold for a couple of years. Is it still going to happen?

Dec 8, 05 4:14 pm  · 
 · 

Ludwig, you're right, the Mies project for Poultry 1 was a la Seagrams--I've seen a photomontage of the project among some literature on Stirling, I think.

Dec 8, 05 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
Per Corell

I still only have one suggestion ;

Dec 8, 05 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
AP

great meisfortune

Dec 8, 05 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

per, thats what they built the last time around

Dec 8, 05 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
Per Corell

No not at all --- this one is not a lookalike but the real thing.

Dec 8, 05 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
AP
Dec 8, 05 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
Per Corell

Try compare with this ;

Dec 8, 05 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
mauOne™

itsa shame MVRDV did not propose something more interesting as a viable solution regarding a budget

Dec 8, 05 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
Per Corell

Try find the same view point in the fiddled thing.

· 
Louisville Architect

ap's is better.

· 
Per Corell

It will be standing on posts and be put together by bits and pieces with no feel. Try check this and compare in an honest way ;

Beside when was that. ---

Dec 8, 05 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
mauOne™

off topic---

PER your geometries are vibrant enough, why not use more pure materials and colors in your renderings so the aesthetic is not so......ugly

Dec 8, 05 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
AP

Serpentine Gallery
Dec 8, 05 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
AP

(Per, your ground plane looks like a granite counter-top)

Dec 8, 05 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
Per Corell

Sorry but for me as a craftsman that pavilion looked as it had been a huge trouble ,put together with a jigsaw and if it shuld be a 3D-H lookalike it was totaly misunderstood , it was in no way representive for what can be made with 3D-H, it carried so many foults that would have been so much better if those who projected it, had understood 3D-H.
It was a bad 3D-H lookalike.

Dec 8, 05 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
Ludwig

sorry per this conversation was about oma's serpentine pavilion not about the 3dH please dont hijack this conversation now.

Dec 8, 05 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
Louisville Architect

except it was beautiful and we have yet to be convinced that yours isn't butt-ugly.

Dec 8, 05 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
Per Corell

Hi

I am realy sorry to say -- but that pavilion -- if you in any way shuld describe it from the 3D-H concept simply silli. I would never had cut the sections the simple and tradisional way ,beside I would have placed floors at various levels , furniture build into the actural structural framework, and if the thing shuld act as a show piece, I would make sure to show both more floors and walls structuraly interconnected the framework structure.

Dec 8, 05 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
AP

Dec 8, 05 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
mauOne™

hey PER, maybe we'll all be amazed when it's your turn, but for the time being......please.

Dec 8, 05 4:40 pm  · 
 · 

If you want to see a photo of a model of the Mies design for Poultry 1 it's in James Stirling and Michael Wilford and Associates: Buildings and Projects 1975-1992, p. 158. The Mies project looks almost exactly like the Seagrams Building.

Dec 8, 05 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
Louisville Architect

i s'spose rem'll have to shrink it. i bet they don't want a pavilion that big.

Dec 8, 05 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
Per Corell

Please --- just using the 3D-H framework as another thin shell , is that anything compared the obvious and beautifull detail that must go into it ?

Realy it's like they just heard about it and a bit funny ; here are a fantastic new tool , offered free by the cost of just a bit credit, and then instead of producing something with true quality ,then they made that.

Dec 8, 05 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
Louisville Architect

per vs. siza. hee hee.

Dec 8, 05 4:43 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: