Archinect
anchor

serpentOMA's pavillion

Per Corell

AP nice.

Dec 8, 05 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
thenewold

funny, funny stuff. Per is always down for clueless (not shameless) self promotion.

back to the TOPIC (!)...

does anyone know what particularly about the construction of MVRDV's proposal was unfeasible ? any londoners know anything ? I never saw or read anything about how they intended to build it. nothing on their website either.

Dec 8, 05 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
Ludwig

the white book! thanks I'll check it out

Dec 8, 05 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
Ludwig

One of the main concerns was accesibility. Another interesting problem was the need to organise 6 or 7 months of the gallery's programme of events around the fact that the galleries would not have any natural light.

Dec 8, 05 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
Per Corell

mauOne --- what I realy wondered with that pavilion was why to use so lame materials and then put materials together like that ; as you say steel sheet instead of jigsaw cut plywood would have made a compleatly different aproach, Any other sheet material in fact, but I took the impression of the material in the serpentine pavilion as an indicator of the crafts and the computer skills.
But offcaurse, before this was even planned, I been refining the 3D-H method for more than 10 years. Sad when someone misunderstand this to be a 3D-H.

Dec 8, 05 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
mauOne™

i Heard something similar, that the whole serpentine gallery would be paralized because of all the construction process for the MVRDV propposal required lotsa space for support underneath the structure

Dec 8, 05 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
thenewold

Ludwig - do you mean accessibility as in wheelchair access ? or what do you mean ?

mauOne - do you mean lots of touchdown points for columns or walls to support the slabs for the 'hill' above ?

Dec 8, 05 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
Ludwig

yes wheelchair access. the building is just a pavilion but it still must comply with regulations

Dec 8, 05 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
Per Corell

What happened here ???

Realy this is no 3D-H

Dec 8, 05 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
mauOne™

as i understand the MVRDV project, it should not have columns but its more like a "serpentine" of slabs, but to get them built you need touchdown points while the structure is rigid and that would cause chaos around the existing building, dunno more details though.

the topographical idea is what i find interesting, id like to see someone DIG the ground, work with the EARTH, do topography work something like the work of architect, Enrique Browne, from CHILE.

Dec 8, 05 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
Per Corell

See the difference _this is.

Dec 8, 05 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
thenewold

.: just ignore him :.

mauOne - touchdown points for the formwork AND bearing members for gravity loads ?

the mvrdv project sounds decidedly not temporary... it sounds like the mvrdv reinvention of the pavilion concept was fundamentally wrong in some really important ways; bad for exhibitions, structurally annoying...

what was MVRDV's specific assertion about how their proposal was a reinvention of the pavilion concept ? i can't remember.

Dec 8, 05 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
Ludwig

I think that the mountain and its artificiality would have been spectacular and the views from the tip a top tourist destination. back to striling populist monumentality...

Dec 8, 05 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
Ludwig

BD's dodgy journalism concludes that the mountain is dead, but is it because a completely new pavilion was announced or because the new architect happens to be dutch as well?

Dec 8, 05 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
thenewold

Ludwig - great point there. how many of the old pavilions have had any nod to section aside from a 3step or 4step up to a plinth ? perhaps a pavilion that ignored the ground floor in favor of verticality would be a good reinvention.

Dec 8, 05 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
thenewold

I'd guess it's dead bC it just wasn't a feasible solution. Not to open old wounds for OMA but the same has happened to them over their newhitney and LACMA projects. all of these were good responses that the client ultimately couldn't stomach. it happens.

Dec 8, 05 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

Stop spreading your blue foam propaganda duder. No one cares how thin you can slice your rigid insulation.

Slice DEEEEEEEEEZ.

Kidding. You're not bringin that shit with you to NY tho'

Dec 8, 05 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

Per - get some new shaders man. No one likes your Travertine Floor texture.

Better yet, get a clue.

Dec 8, 05 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
Mason White

*ta-dah*
here it is:

Apr 6, 06 1:25 am  · 
 · 
moratto

OMA is doing the Epcot Center?

Apr 6, 06 1:43 am  · 
 · 
MADianito

mASON....please confirm transmition.... what the F is that?? is that actually an image from OMA's????

p.s. (i love how we all contributors of archinect "bootleg" and sneak-steal a lot of info from the STARchitects, they can't control us, maybe its my fustrated teen-activist beahviour), lol

Apr 6, 06 6:17 am  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Finaly --- Dead-End reached.

Apr 6, 06 7:11 am  · 
 · 
simples

it's like a balloon...full of hot air!!!!

seriously, i think this is their way of creating nothingness...a celebration of the open -Air- space...

MauOne had it right when he expressed his fear of overzealous concept challenges...i don't understand this fear of creating beautiful buildings...am I the only one who still falls in love with walls?

I am probably drawing my conclusions way way too early...

Apr 6, 06 10:36 am  · 
 · 
ferd

THE SERPENTINE PAVILIONS ARE A JOKE.

Apr 6, 06 10:46 am  · 
 · 

I actually think that OMA does really good work in the business of reflecting what is going on in our society and displaying their commentary with exaggerated and expressive architecture. If you want typical that only serves functions, then go to the typical architect that does typical architecture, but I can't sit here and listen to you guys just criticize. You need to take chances in order to move architecture forward. There is always going to be something wrong with a building, regardless of aesthetics, function, detailing, or god knows what else. It is always exciting to see a new project, especially when it is coming from someone that is pushing envelopes.

As architects or interns, or ....., we should at least be open to suggestions, that's all I'm saying.

By the way, I bet being in that Serpentine Pavilion that MVRDV designed on a sunny day would have been amazing, the Ito one as well.

Apr 6, 06 11:26 am  · 
 · 
simples

i guess my post did seem overly critical, but notice i wrote "beautiful buildings", not "typical buildings"; i was making a point for beauty (as relative as it may be), not status-quo; zumthor,for example, creates beautiful...nothing wrong with beautiful...nothing wrong with avant-garde...that's all...

Apr 6, 06 11:40 am  · 
 · 

i think that the early comments ended up being right: oma work tends to be program-driven. when the building doesn't have program, the obvious response is to respond with air > almost nothing.

Apr 6, 06 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

"Designed in Portugal, engineered in England, fabricated in Germany using innovative Finnish technology, built, with lashings of Anglo-Saxon enterprise, in London and all done in six months without a penny of subsidy: if Tony Blair wants a symbol of the New Europe to mark his presidency of the European Union, he had better claim this year's Serpentine Pavilion in Kensington Gardens as his own."

Apr 7, 06 9:36 am  · 
 · 
khmay

trying to read this thread is making me want to punch myself in the face

Apr 7, 06 10:44 am  · 
 · 
Becker

The rendering of the new OMA pavilion in one of the latest BD mags. It is a giant hot air (trust Rem) Balloon which rises and lowers over what seems to be an indescript collection of walls. Appartently this is to control the micro climate in the pavilion, aswell as accomodating different types of events.

Not sure about it. the rendering was crap, looks like it was done by my little sister the first time she used photoshop.

It does get Kudo's as usual for OMA for being different.

Apr 24, 06 4:12 am  · 
 · 
Becker

Shit, just realized someone else posted.
good work guys.

Serves me right for skimming the post. =)

Apr 24, 06 4:13 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: