Archinect
anchor

Best way to transition to an architecture career from an interior design background while also immigrating?

federernadal

Hi everyone!

I got my interior design (specializing in urban environments) from an Australian university about a decade ago. Since then, I have been working in my home country (east asia) as an interior designer in multiple firms where I worked closely with architects and designers alike. I would like to pivot my career to the architectural realm. I really feel confident that I have the skills to do so.

Thing is, I now have a green card (through lottery :)) and want to immigrate to the US too. I have close to 0 idea how the architecture industry works in US; but from the little i gathered, we need to pass the Board exam, and to be eligible for the exam I need an accredited degree in architecture.

I have looked into online architectural programs such as Arizona, Lawrence Technological University, etc. These are pretty expensive and will take 3 years.

My 1st question: will such an online degree be worth it; as in, is a degree from an architectural program the ONLY way for me to become an architect? If I can self study and pass the Board exam, will it be just as eligible for jobs? I do want to emphasize that I feel confident I could grow into an architect role from my current education+experience combined, but worry that nobody will give me the opportunity without the credentials.

2nd question: Some of these programs have an accelerated path for those with a BS in architecture. Is there a possibility for me to make a plea that with an Interior design degree + 10 years of (close to) architectural experience, please place me on the accelerated program? Or is that a no-no?

3rd question: Should I get an architectural degree from my home country before immigrating?

Any further guidance would be appreciated! Thank you!

Apr 16, 24 12:44 pm
atelier nobody

The best path, if you can afford it, would be to get an M.Arch from an accredited university in the US. I don't know if different programs will treat your foreign undergrad differently or not.

Generally the all online degrees aren't as well regarded as traditional degrees, but I don't think that would really hurt you, since employers will be looking MUCH more at your experience than at the prestige of the school. 

Apr 16, 24 2:02 pm  · 
1  · 
Wilma Buttfit

NCARB or National Association of Architectural Registration Boards is the source for licensing information. This board represents the 54 jurisdictions which are the 50 states plus Washington DC, Puerto Rico, Guam and the Virgin Islands. Most of these jurisdictions require an NAAB-accredited degree but you can get licensed in some states without the degree. More documented experience hours are needed in those states. California, Colorado, Wisconsin, and Arizona are some of those states. There’s others. You can look at this tool on NCARB’s website for guidance. https://www.ncarb.org/get-licensed/licensing-requirements-tool Since each jurisdiction has its own licensing board, it’s advisable to look beyond this tool to the state board to verify as NCARB’s tool may be inaccurate. You still have to pass the exams. Note that you don’t have to be licensed to work in an architect’s office and interior designers work in architecture firms. 

Apr 16, 24 3:51 pm  · 
2  · 
atelier nobody

Don't fully trust NCARB's page of States' requirements (I've found it about 80%-90% correct) - if a State you're interested in, look at that State's own web site to confirm whatever you see on NCARB.

Apr 16, 24 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

You can send this same questions to the programs you have been looking at. For immigration purposes would be best if you start with a M.Arch. but quickly get employed and make yourself needed, so somebody can sponsor your work visa. After that it's easy. To validate your degree you need EESA, which will tell you if you can take the "board" exams.(it's ARE here), very remote chance of being adequate.

Apr 16, 24 3:53 pm  · 
2  · 
luvu

the OP obtained a Permanent resident visa which allow they to live and work …permanently. No sponsor is required

Apr 17, 24 4:38 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: