Archinect
anchor

Building Information Models

evilhomer

or BIM's for those in the know. who's using a piece of software such as revit. How are they different from parametric modellers like solidworks or thinkdesign. What's out there besides revit? Is it actually saving you time or do you spend just as long programming in wall constructions as you would detailing them later? Is that time saving aspect it's appeal or does it actually open up formal or other design avenues?

I spent last summer interning at an office which was in the process of switching to revit, so while I have some familiarity I don't feel like I know quite what it can really do. I don't have my own copy either so haven't used it at all in the past 8 months (and don't miss it at all). Very curious as to other people's expriences though as the potential is theoretically vast.

Mar 12, 06 9:23 am
chupacabra

Vectorworks has BIM capabilities.

Mar 12, 06 10:06 am  · 
 · 
AP

one benefit is long term time savings. once the wall constructions have been defined for the first time, that work is done. every subsequent project expereinces the associated time savings. I currently work at a corporate firm that is considering moving to BIM in the near-ish future. Since this firm uses similar wall construction types and details for a given project type, they would benefit from this aspect of BIM greatly (wall definition associated time savings). A firm that does more "one-off" projects probably wouldn't...

Mar 12, 06 10:51 am  · 
 · 
adso
link
link
link
link
Mar 12, 06 11:04 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: