Archinect
anchor

Contemporary houses/buildings in historic areas in the Northeast?

orchid

I am looking for sites where a contemporary building is standing next to old historic buildings in somewhere between New York city and Boston.
It does not matter if it's small houses or large buildings.

The purpose is to take pictures of them to present in a class.
I am looking for a visual contrast between historic and ultra-modern.

I read the topic:
http://www.archinect.com/forum/threads.php?id=81768_0_42_0_C
which is pretty good but it does not contain last couple years of projects or small housings.

It's better to be projects finished recently (like within 20 years), but it's flexible.
One large example is IM Pei's building and the church in Copley Square, Boston (1976).

If you know or worked on some projects, can you give me the street name or building name etc.?

I appreciate your help!

Mar 31, 10 2:02 pm

not quite between nyc and boston, but in philadelphia you could look at pretty much anything done by onion flats...

Mar 31, 10 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
207moak
Portland Maine

Click "Recently Completed"

Mar 31, 10 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
orchid

Thank you Phillip and 207moak,

Phillip,

It's a very interesting web site. I like they have so many pictures for each project.

207moak,

It's great they have many projects and pictures too.
The Portland Harbor Hotel is a good one.

I think i can include other east coast areas if there are enough number of interesting projects.

Mar 31, 10 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

You might want to go look at Machado & Silvetti Architect web site.
They do some interesting contrasting work and yep their located in Boston.

www.machado-silvetti.com

Mar 31, 10 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
Justin Ather Maud

Why not check out the beton brute of the Boston Architectural College in the middle of Victorian Back Bay?

Mar 31, 10 7:30 pm  · 
 · 
207moak

Jstins quote above reminded me of Paul Rudolph's First Church - also in Back Bay

Apr 1, 10 6:55 am  · 
 · 
orchid

Thank you!

snook_dude, the library by Machado & Silvetti have a good contrast of contemporary and modern.

Justina and 207moak, I'll check the BAC and the First Church definitely.

I found that college campus is a good place to find contrasts.

On the other hand, it's hard to find contrasts in residential area.

Apr 1, 10 10:03 am  · 
 · 
xacto

a lot of weird stuff on the ues...

just one example...

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2010/03/15/upper_east_side_townhouse_is_dressed_to_stand_out.php

Apr 1, 10 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
xacto

but if your talking about urban environments, wouldnt it just be a lot easier to get a map of historic landmarked buildings / neighborhoods and look around there...?

Apr 1, 10 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
randomized

Greenwich Street project by Archi-Tectonics
link

Apr 1, 10 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
orchid

xacto,

I will include UES in my plan. It's nice to know where to look because it's a big area.
The link you posted is really cool.

I found that this is interesting:
http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2009/12/29/curbed_awards_09_architecture_the_years_funkiest_facades.php?o=5

I'd like to take pictures of old and new buildings stand right next to each other in one frame.

randomized,
Great. I'll check it out too!

Apr 1, 10 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

orchid to to there projects in the site....Dewey Square. Province Town Art Association and museum. Think both of these are right up your alley!

Apr 1, 10 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

orchid to to there projects in the site....Dewey Square. Province Town Art Association and museum. Think both of these are right up your alley!

Apr 1, 10 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Carpenter Center at Harvard....maybe the neighbor hood has changed but it was once among some triple deckers.

Apr 1, 10 6:31 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Marcel Bauer did a house on Clark Road which is neighbored by an 1800's New England Colonial. Actually if you kick around Litchfield County you will find many residental international style projects tossed in among the Colonial. I think your looking for something a bit more Urban. Oh ya go check out Kent Connecticut if you want a nice ride. They have this small modern set of structures just off of main street which is a few years old...and damn it is good.

Apr 1, 10 6:35 pm  · 
 · 
orchid

snook_dude, thanks for great ideas!

Apr 2, 10 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
wgavinrobb

Not starchitecture, but the Zelnick Pavillion at Wesleyan U in Middletown CT has always been a favorite.

Full disclosure I'm an alum. But still it's a nice little glass & wood piece next to two historic brownstones ('92 theatre, memorial chapel which was renovated by henry bacon in the 1880s)

http://www.dev.ihcdstore.org/?q=print/146
http://www.roa-architects.com/performance.html

Apr 2, 10 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
orchid

wgavinrobb,

Thanks, I would like to visit Middle town too.
But I hope there are more buildings to go to around that area.

Let me know if anyone knows more buildings that I should check out in CT, Portland, Cape Cod and Boston in addition to NYC.

Apr 5, 10 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
blanco teko

These might be a little NYC-centric (and obvious?) but I think they're appropriate:

-New Museum on the Bowery, near a bunch of old tenament buildings.

-Frank Gehry's Beekman Tower in the Financial District. Great view of it from the Brooklyn Bridge; you could probably get a shot of it with the Woolworth Bldg. from there.

-Richard Meier's West Village condo towers, Perry St. @ West Side highway, amid lots of brick townhouses.

-40 Bond St. by Herzog & de Meuron near some nice Flatiron loft-type buildings.

There are also a few good examples of new additions INSIDE old buildings nearby- Steven Holl's stair at NYU, Lyn Rice's new entry at the New School/ Parsons...

Apr 6, 10 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
orchid

Hi Blanco,

Thanks!
I took pictures of New Museum already, but others are good suggestions. I'll check them out.

I'm planning to go to Brooklyn next so Brooklyn bridge is good idea.

Apr 6, 10 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
xacto

although this more likely falls into bad design next to historic buildings, i thought this UES case may be relevant

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2010/04/12/upper_east_side_townhouse_next_in_line_for_facade_facelift.php

Apr 12, 10 1:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: