Archinect
anchor

Haiti Earthquake

Everytime there is a natural disaster, my heart goes out to those that are suffering. Not much that can be done from far away to help, but donate money and supplies to help the folks in Haiti & the DR. I'm sure that AFH will get involved, so this thread is for sharing opportunities to help and links to organizations that are mobilizing.

We can also discuss the merits of building codes/seismic engineering for developing countries that routinely ignore best practices because of $$$ or having major cities in hazard zones. Or maybe, it's time to start designing buildings to fall down safely, with integral air bags, crumple zones, and refuge areas - just like cars, planes, and trains must meet crash regulations. the Japanese seem the most advanced with their tradition of light/flexible wood construction.

Reuters Tv/Reuters

Past Archinect Emergency threads: Tsunami Relief, disaster urbanism, AFH model homes, TSUNAMI...how to Help...manually, Emergency shelters, urgent..about the earthquake The Architecture Competition after big Earthquake in Sichuan, China, Katrina - what can we do?

Jan 13, 10 9:23 am
brian buchalski

haitians designing buildings with crumple zones?! that will be the day...

Jan 13, 10 9:47 am  · 
 · 

times

Cameron gets quoted in the NYT about the substandard construction in Haiti. 'In Haiti, most if not all of the buildings have major engineering flaws'.

Jan 13, 10 6:56 pm  · 
 · 

This is so heart-breaking, and it's especially difficult when you realize how poorly the buildings were built, and that this was a disaster waiting to happen.

Jan 13, 10 7:50 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Pat Robertson says they made a pact with the Devi 200 years ago...
I'm not kidding. Who would ever listen to that fool....but all of those who line his coffers. He could most likely take his cash in hand and solve a major amount of the problems in Haiti but know he is going to hang onto it to take to Heaven.

I hope the Western World wakes up to the fact that this country has been hammered by hurricanes and now this earthquake. Screw building standards, these people are living on the edge.

The largest UN presence in Haiti is Brazilian. Ya that third world country that no one wants to call a major force in Latin American.
I have seen some wrenching photos and stories today. I know they will come to the relief but they will neec the help of America.

This country is just turning the corner, so now it the time for Obama and Clinton to step up to the Plate along with every fricking American, cause it is the thing to do.

Jan 13, 10 9:06 pm  · 
 · 
oe

Sorry, missed this thread when I set up the other,.

~

If people are looking to help, Partners in Health is an incredible organization doing great work in the region. In the immediate sense medical care will be an enormous issue, and the need for logistics and supplies and additional personnel will be dire. You can make a donation here:

https://donate.pih.org/page/contribute/haiti_earthquake?source=earthquake&subsource=homepage

You can also donate to the American Red Cross, Doctors without Borders, UNICEF, Oxfam, all completely reputable organizations that are mobilizing right now to provide water, shelter, food and health care in the coming days and months.

http://american.redcross.org/site/PageServer?pagename=ggl_main&s_subsrc=Haiti&s_src=F7FWE001&gclid=CKfDkanJoZ8CFQk75Qod-3f7dQ

http://doctorswithoutborders.org/donate/?ref=main-menu

https://secure.unicefusa.org/site/Donation2?df_id=6680&6680.donation=form1

https://secure.oxfamamerica.org/site/Donation2?idb=1159761206&3600.donation=form1&df_id=3600&JServSessionIdr004=j8obytg5l2.app217b

I desperately fear things could become worse in the coming days, but It does seem like help is finally arriving in force. I cant even imagine the horror they must be experiencing.

Jan 14, 10 10:57 am  · 
 · 
oe

^^ yea and Rush and Pat robinson, please, do us all a favor and fuck off.

Apparently obamas also sending W. which is bound to be the but of jokes, but I actually think is a really good thing.

Jan 14, 10 11:03 am  · 
 · 
oe

(sp) robertson. whatever. Something tells me someone is in for a rude surprise at the top of the stairs.

Jan 14, 10 11:07 am  · 
 · 
binary

if bush goes... this will spark issues with the katrina incident....

Jan 14, 10 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
AquillatheNun

maybe density is not necessarily the answer?

Jan 22, 10 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
AquillatheNun

gonna probably step on some toes and offend some people here but perhaps the best piece of architecture for Haiti would be condoms.

Jan 22, 10 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
AquillatheNun

and maybe a government that actually gave a damn

Jan 22, 10 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
AquillatheNun

On the Christian Broadcasting Network’s “700 Club” today, after a lengthy interview with a missionary who talked about helping the victims earthquake in Haiti, Rev. Pat Robertson had some interesting thoughts as to why the earthquake struck the impoverished nation:

"And you know, Kristi, something happened a long time ago in Haiti, and people might not want to talk about it.

“They were under the heel of the French, uh, you know Napoleon the 3rd and whatever, and they got together and swore a pact to the Devil.

“They said, 'We will serve you if you'll get us free from the French.'

“True story.

“And so the Devil said, 'Okay, it's a deal.’

“And, uh, they kicked the French out, you know, with Haitians revolted and got themselves free.

“But ever since they have been cursed by, by one thing after another, desperately poor.

“That island of Hispaniola is one island. It’s cut down the middle. On the one side is Haiti on the other side is the Dominican Republican.

“Dominican Republic is, is prosperous, healthy, full of resorts, etcetera.

“Haiti is in desperate poverty.

“Same island.

“They need to have and we need to pray for them a great turning to God and out of this tragedy I’m optimistic something good may come. But right now we’re helping the suffering people and the suffering is unimaginable.”

Robertson’s tale stems from a legend that Jean Jacques Dessalines, who led the Haitian revolution against the French Army, entered into a pact with Satan disguised as a voodoo deity in exchange for a military victory, which finally happened in 1803.

One minister of a Haitian-American church -- who does not believe this legend -- recently wrote about the frequent references in Haiti “to a spiritual pact that the fathers of the nation supposedly made with the devil to help them win their freedom from France. As a result of that satanic alliance, as they put it, God has placed a curse on the country sometime around its birth, and that divine burden has made it virtually impossible for the vast majority of Haitians to live in peace and prosperity in their land…The satanic pact allegedly took place at Bois-Caïman near Cap-Haïtien on August 14, 1791 during a meeting organized by several slave leaders, under [Dutty] Boukman’s leadership, before launching what would become Haiti’s Independence War.”

UPDATE: CBN spokesman Chris Roslan issued a statement Regarding Pat Robertson's Comments on Haiti, saying “On today’s The 700 Club, during a segment about the devastation, suffering and humanitarian effort that is needed in Haiti, Dr. Robertson also spoke about Haiti’s history. His comments were based on the widely-discussed 1791 slave rebellion led by Boukman Dutty at Bois Caiman, where the slaves allegedly made a famous pact with the devil in exchange for victory over the French. This history, combined with the horrible state of the country, has led countless scholars and religious figures over the centuries to believe the country is cursed. Dr. Robertson never stated that the earthquake was God’s wrath. If you watch the entire video segment, Dr. Robertson’s compassion for the people of Haiti is clear. He called for prayer for them. His humanitarian arm has been working to help thousands of people in Haiti over the last year, and they are currently launching a major relief and recovery effort to help the victims of this disaster. They have sent a shipment of millions of dollars worth of medications that is now in Haiti, and their disaster team leaders are expected to arrive tomorrow and begin operations to ease the suffering.”

-jpt

Jan 22, 10 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
AquillatheNun

Architecture for Humanity is the shit man! Awesome, simply awesome.

Jan 22, 10 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

"Dr. Robertson’s compassion for the people of Haiti is clear."

NO. No it is not.

Jan 23, 10 8:51 am  · 
 · 
msudon

Condoms? srsly? In-attentive government as a root cause? sheesh.

How can a government function and serve it's people when it's proxy government for US interests? How can a government function when the most powerful military in the world is consistently trying to destabilize the county for economic gain?

Also concrete! Democracy Now had an excellent piece on Haiti's natural resources-as a limestone rich county, in the pre-Preval years, Haiti had a strong concrete industry. With the coups against Aristide, those companies were privatized, bought out by US investors and closed. Now Haiti has to import a material it previously manufactured for profit. WTF. yeah lack of steel/wood are an issue (can also be linked to US economic meddling) , but I find it interesting that this is an explicit example of US-directed activity that lead to substandard building conditions.

Partners in Health is an excellent organization.

I think the militarization of the aid is becoming quite an interesting story, not surprising in its existence, only shockingly blatant with dire consequences.

donating relief $$ is important but will never obscure the US-led political/economic destabilizations that make life extraordinarily hard for many Haitians.

Jan 23, 10 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
msudon

also Rachel Maddow and the Haitian Ambassador to the US smacked down Pat Robinson days ago = old news.

go away Pat Robinson

Jan 23, 10 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
dali7114

Our newly formed initiative in response to this disaster, but focused on future events_ Unite by Design, is hosting a symposium or meeting of the minds to fuel exactly this kind of discussion and collaboration through a variety of disciplines.

If you happen to be in the area please attend and share your thoughts.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_kwmyvu1I2T1qak0s5o1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0RYTHV9YYQ4W5Q3HQMG2&Expires=1264354323&Signature=r4tNCKU9oRIUZLrI36WQfPss0jQ%3D

We are currently seeking those established organizations that have "boots on the ground" and that have developed trust in the host nation and have a clearer understanding of what the situation actually is.

Any support through ideas, and connections would greatly be appreciated
go to: http://unitebydesign.tumblr.com/
or
email us at: unitebydesign@gmail.com

Thank you

Jan 23, 10 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
AquillatheNun

msudon at least have the common courtesy to spell his name correctly even if your left wing leanings

economic gain? what in the world does Haiti have that we could possibly want?

concrete? have you seen the buildings? do we really want their concrete?

now the dominican republic may be another story

you totally missed the point of the article

Jan 25, 10 11:33 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: