Archinect
anchor

olympic 2016

aspect

i vote for japan

http://www.inhabitat.com/2009/10/01/tokyos-2016-olympic-bid-includes-stunning-solar-powered-stadium/

or Rio de Janeiro

mainly they are more interesting city n japan has a long history of take what they need in agriculture, life style, culture wise etc... set good example for the world.

Oct 2, 09 4:31 am
Medit

I vote for Rio to be the first city in South America to host the Olympics. It's about time. And better Brazil than any Spanish-speaking country.

And then Chicago.

Tokyo '16 would be great but is to close to Pekin '08.

Madrid? never.

Oct 2, 09 5:28 am  · 
 · 
randomized

hola! what's wrong with any Spanish-speaking country? just curious for the negativity, choked on some paella or something?

Oct 2, 09 6:28 am  · 
 · 
postal

the city is abuzz... something in the air... and it's the best air in chicago, that first crisp fall air...

i haven't felt this kinda energy since election night...

i thought all the proposals were strong, may the best city win...

(ahem)

Oct 2, 09 8:15 am  · 
 · 

aspect,

That is a sweet stadium. I hadn't really looked at any of the proposals except for Rios...

Oct 2, 09 8:32 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i'm astounded the games haven't been to south america yet. unless rio has a total shit proposal, i would think this is a no brainer for the committee.

Oct 2, 09 9:35 am  · 
 · 
Synergy

Chicago!

Oct 2, 09 9:55 am  · 
 · 
Synergy

haha oops, that is London's stadium. o well... ours is probably round too...

Oct 2, 09 9:56 am  · 
 · 
aspect

jury asked: "wasn't he the guy who got us all in deep shit during 2008? and wasn't he broke also?

i'm quite sure chicago gets 0 vote if the bid was held in 2008...

Oct 2, 09 10:31 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

where can one find the Rio Propsal?

Oct 2, 09 11:25 am  · 
 · 
postal

wow... we gone

Oct 2, 09 11:33 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

what are you talking about, aspect?

I cannot BELIEVE Chicago dropped out before Tokyo. Damn. Madrid does not have much going for it in my opinion. If it's going to be anyone other than Chicago it better be Rio.

I still can't believe Chicago didn't make it past the first round.

Oct 2, 09 11:34 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

This is pretty pathetic, I am ashamed.

The newscasters here IMMEDIATELY started saying "oh well guess there's still strong anti-american sentiment on the IOC" etc etc -- they have spent the last 10 minutes running through all the various possible reasons for anti-american sentiment around the world, that theoretically formed the reason Chicago was dropped in the first round. So far no mention of ANY other possibilities for why Chicago was dropped.

Man. Good job, journalists. You don't think there's any possibility that other criteria contributed to the vote? Perhaps the members just didn't feel Chicago's bid was strong enough?

Oct 2, 09 11:40 am  · 
 · 
aspect

mantaray- i was talking about the financial crisis... n one of the olympic criteria is financial status of the country... ha, quite ironic that US make it to the final 4 while printing money to avoid bankruptcy!

Oct 2, 09 11:41 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

Direct quote from the news here a minute ago: "Well, this is OBVIOUSLY anti-american sentiment."

Man... please don't even give in to this line of thought. Just say : "the other city had a stronger bid. We put our best into it. Chicago is still a great town and we're proud of our bid. Congrats to X city!"

Oct 2, 09 11:47 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

Aspect, I'm not sure what you're talking about. No one person led the world into economic depression and and the financial status of the US is still among the strongest in the world. The US is not even close to bankruptcy, let alone "printing money to avoid it"... you are sadly mistaken if you think that. Besides, if you are going to claim that the US is somehow responsible for everybody's economic troubles across the world right now, than you should equally claim that the US was responsible for all the worldwide prosperity in the past. My point being, that's a really ignorant supposition to make.
-----
THANK YOU Jesse Jackson for saying, "no I don't think it's about anti-american sentiment" So far, his statements have been by far the most reasoned and principled. Interesting.

Oct 2, 09 11:52 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i think chicago's bid failed because the city is brutually fat, brutally cold and brutually bland. thank goodness the world doesn't have to endure america at its worst.

Oct 2, 09 11:53 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

aspect is right. the united states is pretty much bankrupt & printing money. the only reason their getting away with it so far is because of military might.

Oct 2, 09 11:55 am  · 
 · 

well, maybe I'm anti-american... but man we've had a lot of olympics. To think that the US has hosted it 8 times and the whole continent of South America is sitting at zero is ridiculous. I know Chicago was excited about this, and it would've been a great show of support for Obama to have his hometown win immediately after election, but I really think that Rio's the right choice.

Oct 2, 09 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

puddles,
its the summer Olympics not winter! Have you been to Chicago in the summer? People in Chicago look great and they are in great shape. The city is absolutely beautiful, tons to do, people everywhere, just amazing, so your argument is just stupid.

I'm just disappointed that we didn't get it but I knew all along that we would not get it.

Oh well, time to move on!

Oct 2, 09 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

this would have been a great boost to chicago - rather unfortunate. even more unfortunate: all the conservative politicos who are devotedly anti-american. getting a bit ridiculous - painting this as a 'devastating loss/world rejection of obama' - those d-bags need some serious therapy.

since chi-city's out, auf geht's rio!

Oct 2, 09 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

ahhh rio. Good!!!

Oct 2, 09 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i have been to chicago in the summer...and it still damn cold there. although that doesn't seem to stop the fat-asses from lumbering about in their short pants, oversized cubs t-shirts and showing off either their stunningly pale white skin or their obvious tan salon bronzing.

hmmm...maybe they should try for the winter games. oops, kind of need mountains for that. oh well.

Oct 2, 09 1:32 pm  · 
 · 

i guess no olympic investment in chicago..
rio as it was obvious... probably one of the most exciting olympics to come. GO brazil!

Oct 2, 09 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
On the fence

I can't wait for the events being held within the favalas sections of town.

Should be some fun viewing.

Oct 2, 09 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
Medit

Great! Go Rio!... will Niemeyer be available for the design of a new stadium or something? ... it's just 7 years, he can do it! :p
Samba!

Oct 2, 09 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

with all the architectural talent in brazil and south america in general, i have high hopes for this olympics. don't let us down, brazil.

Oct 2, 09 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
jojodancer

Who wants to see a SOM planned Olympic Chicago?

Oct 2, 09 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

Man, some of you just can't wait to sink your teeth in and bash the US, can you?

I was rooting for Chicago, I think we would have done a fantastic job of hosting the games and even would have helped reconcieve how the modern games are run.

I hope Rio does a great job hosting and have no reason to believe the won't. It is a cool thing that they get to be the first city on South America to host.

So for the 2020 games, should we also cover Africa for the first time? How about Ghana?

Oct 2, 09 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

holy crap puddles... chicago is america at its worst? youre a total nut...

im glad rio got it... if madrid had won giving europe a 3rd olympics in as many opportunities i would have been much more frustrated.

That being said, im really disappointed that Chicago was out in the first round. And whether you want to admit it or not, it was knocked out in the first round because 40% of the IOC vote is in the hands of europeans, who vote for european cities.

Oct 2, 09 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
xaia

"Who wants to see a SOM planned Olympic Chicago?" hahaha.

Way to go, Rio!

Recommend watching "City of God" to get pumped.

Oct 2, 09 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
jojodancer

Sure Tadao Ando planned Tokyo Olympic would be very excited to watch also.

Oct 2, 09 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

haha letdown...I'm not sure how many people on here live in Chicago, but I've lived in many places and Chicago is one of my favorite cities in the world.

I'm disappointed that Chicago didn't get it because of the fact that there are so many struggling architect in the city and I would love them to get back on their feet and the Olympics would have helped.

I knew that Rio would get it and I've said that before in the other thread, but I just wanted Chicago to get it. Well hopefully next time hehe

Oct 2, 09 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
blah
"Who wants to see a SOM planned Olympic Chicago?" hahaha

That's the whole thing about Chicago. It's all about clout and who you know. It's not an open process. The bill to pay for it is the only shared thing about it.

Obama needs to get back to work on Health Care in a big way as this affects everyone in our profession in a much larger way than any Olympic event.

Oct 2, 09 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
jojodancer

I'm disappointed that Chicago didn't get it because of the fact that there are so many struggling architect in the city and I would love them to get back on their feet and the Olympics would have helped.

not so sure at all. The whole thing would be controlled by city politics and connections. One has to know important someone if he/she wants to join the game. Besides, I think SOM would control all design related decisions.
Oct 2, 09 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

No way, the Olympic committee might control specific projects like the stadiums and Olympic village, but a ton of other private peripheral projects would have gone along with it. Pretending like everything is controlled by cronyism is a vast oversimplification. It is always tough to start out a new firm from scratch, but acting like very single existing firm is some cog in this machine of corruption is asinine.

Oct 2, 09 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Ah yet another reason to visit Rio....It will be exciting to see what new talent is unleased in Brazil for the Olympic Venue. There is
alot of potential there from what I have seen when visiting Brazil.

I'm sure the existing "maracana stadium" which seats 89.9992 will continue to play an important position. This stadium in 1950 at the world cup held 199,854 people but has since been remodeled and the seating has been reduced for security reasons.

I'm sure The Brazilians will do a bang up job at hosting! They are in genral a very hardworking happy people.

Oct 2, 09 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
Hawkin

@Synergy.

As for my experience working in London, the bid and architectural competitions have been an extremely closed process that have only involved the very big very well connected practices.

With the credit crunch, there are no many projects coming from the private sector. Besides Chicago or London are very developed cities that don't really need new construction to host the Olympics.

Oct 2, 09 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
jojodancer

Recommend watching "City of God" to get pumped.

and MJ video as well :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KevofpSkoMY
Oct 2, 09 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
Hawkin

Because of my Grandma I can understand and speak (European) Portuguese.

I guess that with the Olympics, construction will boost in Rio and also the Brazilian economy is doing pretty well for what I know. Any idea of some foreign architectural offices with projects in the area?

I wouldn't mind at all being an expatriate in Ipanema :))))).

Oct 2, 09 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I don't think it will be so much connected firms in Brazil....cause there is just so much raw talent out there. These people take design serious...right down to the novellas! Architecture is not taken lightly in Brazil...and Mr. N an Architect is a national hero.

Oct 2, 09 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
ZahasLover

FUNNY entry from Design Dummy about Rio 2016

Rio2016 Buildings... Yawn

LOL

Oct 2, 09 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

syngery, I totally agree

jojodancer, it's not just the venues, stadiums etc. that are being built which are mostly designed by SOM. Even if it was just SOM, I'd like to see some of the 100 architects I know go back to work there. Olympics bring more than just stadiums to be built. It makes people invest and with that the hotels, apartments, condos and many other things are being improved or built from scratch. So you are partially right, but it is not just restricted to some of the few politically connected firms.

Oct 2, 09 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
Hawkin

@snook_duke...

I know!!! But I thought with the Olympics there will be maybe some foreign offices and operators (hotels, sports facilities) in the country.

The only foreign office I know with presence there is Portzamparc.

I wonder they will buy this Interactive Museum now that the city is holding the Olympics!:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2006/jul/20/brazil.arts

Oct 2, 09 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
xaia

hks has done studies for marakana; not sure what involvement they'll have with the olympics.

Oct 2, 09 8:05 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

88,000 seats in marakana is not that much if you think about it. We have college stadiums that seat more than that, let alone having them converted into standing stadiums.

Oct 2, 09 8:10 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

now its time for rem to teach at brazil n get some rich students connections as he did in china during 90's^^

Oct 2, 09 9:11 pm  · 
 · 
simples

being from brasil, i am happy that rio got selected...and it seemed to be the best selection on the table - having said that, it's hard to understand the value of such an expensive event in a country where there is so much social need - the rio2016 organizers claim it will serve as a catalyst - i hope it will be the case, and that the architecture will reflect that;

one thing is for sure, this will be a happy olympics...given the opportunity, brazilians know how to be happy, and to enjoy life!!!

parabens, rio!

Oct 2, 09 10:14 pm  · 
 · 
Yumtoder

Sorry Chicago--- good show!

Oct 3, 09 7:56 am  · 
 · 
Medit

simples, maybe it will have the same impact it had on Barcelona '92. The catalan capital was a complete mess after 40 years of francoist dictatorship, the Olympics helped a lot not only because of the new infrastructures and social equipments but for the barcelonian's faith in recuperate the city from the ashes.

Oct 3, 09 10:07 am  · 
 · 

Will the games be held during the Northern Hemisphere Summer or during the Southern Hemisphere Summer?

Oct 3, 09 10:36 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: