Archinect
anchor

Investment: for 2016 Olympic in Chicago

cmrhm

If Chicago get 2016 Olympic bid, the real estate will boom again in Chicago. Based on today's world economy situation and Obama go ernment determination, thereis 70% chance Chicago will get it. I think. Is there any real estate firm or builder stock will benefit from this speculatio?

Please share your thoughts. Currently, I think Chicago real estate is dead. No newbusiness come to Chicago. And the weather is getting colder and colder each year. Former big tech firms like MOT lost it's battle dramatically.

Aug 30, 09 4:04 pm

if chicago gets the olympic games for 2016, it'll be third games US will be getting in last 32 years. i don't think it is fair to other countries that US gets to do the olympic games for every decade or so.

Aug 30, 09 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
cmrhm

US economy will be much more stable than B/J/S in 8 years after this crisis. That would be a fact. This is more important than anything else.

Aug 30, 09 5:41 pm  · 
 · 

i'd like to see an olympic game in a developing country with some alternative type of architecture and planning on a low budget creativity.

Aug 30, 09 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

I second Orhan. Even if it isn't a developing country, I'd perhaps like to see a smaller country get the Olympics.

Prague would have been good... Cape Town would have been pretty cool too.

But I think Tokyo or Madrid is going to get it.

Aug 30, 09 6:13 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

I'm hoping we get the Olympics so I can get my old job back, but I don't think they will be getting it. They should first fix all the pot holes in the roads before anything else. I agree with Orhan, I believe that another country should have the opportunity of hosting the new games.

Aug 30, 09 11:05 pm  · 
 · 
cmrhm

u guys think Chicago is a developed region better than other countries so we should let brazil/Spain get it? There are only 3 months resonable weather a year here. With high unemployment, thisis a depressed area worsen than other 3 cities.

Also. City without strong policy will have unpredicsble results. Remember 2004 athen' Olympic? They can't even build their stadium on time.

Chicago need this, otherwise we are dead.

Aug 31, 09 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
On the fence

Not fair???

What is wrong with you people? In order to have the Olympics, your country has to show it is capable of hosting them? Not easy for most countries to do. Montreal, and I am not picking on Canada here, took about 25 years to pay off the debt that came with holding the 1976 games when they hosted the olympics. Todays games are much bigger and expensive, a lot of which is due to security these days.

Aug 31, 09 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
oe

I dont know, I think its pretty bunk the olympics have never been held in Africa or South America. Then again, the olympics are kind of bunk in general,..

Aug 31, 09 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

those places are getting the world cup... which is more important anyway...

chi-ca-go!

chi-ca-go!

Aug 31, 09 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
dsc_arch

at least it would get the union reps off my back!

Aug 31, 09 7:29 pm  · 
 · 

'my' country 'california, usa' can't pay for its universities. if chicago's survival is hinging on hosting the olympics, RIP already... as far as providing security, we didn't do well in atlanta did we?
what's wrong with you?
do you want to send the marines so we get the olympics?
olympics are supposed to be international sports and cultural event. to be honest with you, world has seen enough of us already in last few decades. sorry to crash your party.
how about a nice big county fair?

Aug 31, 09 8:05 pm  · 
 · 
dsc_arch

how about a world Colombian exposition. We could flood the midway and build out buildings with plaster of Paris.

It would be a magnificent white city!

Aug 31, 09 8:24 pm  · 
 · 
cmrhm

Everytime I saw the following thread, I can't stop laughing. In US, architects are so different. Poor is still acceptable, but don't do anything to improve the earning is hard to understand.

http://www.archinect.com/forum/threads.php?id=89700_0_42_0_C

Aug 31, 09 10:20 pm  · 
 · 
cmrhm

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you guys include me. But when I read through the responses in this thread, I dont feel being easy. May be you guys are not american.?

Aug 31, 09 10:22 pm  · 
 · 
On the fence

It is true that Atlanta had some security problems.

Now, Imagine what would happen if the Olympics were held in Afghanistan.

Let me know what you think the security might be like and what the total deaths might be by the end of the two weeks.

Obviously that is going from one extreme to another. I think my point is that when it comes to security (only one aspect of holding the games) America may be a "better" option than most. Perfect? Hardly, just better.

Sep 1, 09 9:52 am  · 
 · 
2step

I love this Orhan guy's logic, poor country hosting is good but USA bad. Poor country equals responsible, Chicago equals waste and over exhuberance. The reason the games come to the western Hemisphere every 20 years is simply economics - the bulk of the revenue is generated here. Without it, there wouldnt be an Olympic movement.

Chicago's games are to be the most compact and least exspensive in the modern history of the games. Most of the venues are already built. It promises to showcase the density of the city rather than a sprawling game site and the city is attempting to remake the format of what the games are. As for the city and state of Illinois and Chicago they are in decent fiscal shape. The future of the region is certainly not resting on the games nor needs them for survival. The city doesnt need a games to anounce it's arrival on the world stage like a certain sprawltropolis had to in 1984. You can put a palm tree on a turd but it's still a turd.

Sep 1, 09 10:31 am  · 
 · 
lletdownl

alright guys... the olympics isnt going to go to a devloping nation... it makes too much money, and too many peoples tremendous wealth and influence are tied up in its distribution...

yes, it would be wonderful if we could use the money to help a new nation develop its infrastructure, but what... oh what... is the point of hoping for that? what world do you live in that you believe it would ever even be considered??? i love the idealism, but how bout an bit of reality?

seriously, be thankful that the world cup is willing to take its party to 2nd world nations... thats as far as these things will go, there is just way way too much money to be made on their success to risk their well being on countries that actually need it.

that being said, i adore chicago and am very proud of it. Like many other chicagoans, im excited to have an opportunity to show the rest of the world that this is not some back water 2nd rate city... chicago's international reputation seems to still be about gangsters, crime and pollution...

ps, the comment that chicago's future depends on getting the olympics is really dumb... i dont have any idea why someone would think that... chicago's future is as sound as any other american metropolis... its metropolitan area is growing, its inner city is stable and in most cases improving, and its economy was recently rated the most diverse in the nation...

Sep 1, 09 10:35 am  · 
 · 
2step

I would argue Chicago's future is much brighter than LA's

Sep 1, 09 10:37 am  · 
 · 
cmrhm

Jack:

"I love this Orhan guy's logic, poor country hosting is good but USA bad. Poor country equals responsible, Chicago equals waste and over exhuberance. The reason the games come to the western Hemisphere every 20 years is simply economics - the bulk of the revenue is generated here. Without it, there wouldnt be an Olympic movement.

Chicago's games are to be the most compact and least exspensive in the modern history of the games. Most of the venues are already built. It promises to showcase the density of the city rather than a sprawling game site and the city is attempting to remake the format of what the games are. As for the city and state of Illinois and Chicago they are in decent fiscal shape. The future of the region is certainly not resting on the games nor needs them for survival. The city doesnt need a games to anounce it's arrival on the world stage like a certain sprawltropolis had to in 1984. You can put a palm tree on a turd but it's still a turd."

I like your comments since it is optimistic about chicago. But looking around, I think Chicago is losing business to other cities. This worried me most.

Sep 4, 09 10:04 pm  · 
 · 

This Orhan guy is saying 3 olympic organizations for the same country in 32 years is almost like a monopoly and boring. For that reason this Orhan guy prefers Rio for 2016 or Tokyo which I remember its olymics way back from 1964 when I was a boy and my first olympic experience.
I am sorry you guys are so desperate for the games and no doubt would have enough facilities and steak dinners to organize it well, but it is about bringing the game into different cultures and geographies and keep rotating in 30-40 year intervals.

If you don't understand this, and twist and turn Orhan's view and what he is saying, you are just being cheerleaders for something eventually you'll feel like sour losers and hate this Orhan guy even more.
This Orhan guy is from California and would feel the same way if it was San Fransisco bidding the 2016 or hell even his home town Los Angeles was up for it. This Orhan guy is not as provincial like you Chicago folks and more like cosmopolitan who live next to a lot of Brazilians and Japanese and others and truly appreciate their cultures and love to see them to have the olympic pride and benefit to their original country and chance to show their beautifully colorful cultures and help people understand the world is a beautiful place.
For you local guys in Chicago, like I said, have a nice county fair with some Italian sausages and bbq pork and call it a day. Come back around 2032 or something. You got a lot going in your beautiful city and state, Orhan guy says...

Sep 5, 09 1:11 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

i would like to see chicago get the olympics, only because i live in chicago and i think it will create a lot of local jobs and stimulate the economy here. continuing the current situation for us is pretty undesirable. i haven't had a real architecture job for over a year now. that said chicago does have a lot going for it already, and i'm honestly not sure that chicago will put on the same kind of show that china did for their games (a developing country btw) only because of what i would call the kind of design overconfidence that appears to exist in chicago. it is a big city that doesn't have any kind of edge in any way. it is a little too clean, too wealthy, and too nice, both in it's people, and in the kinds of architecture and spaces it has (and produces). chicago will get another millenium park, another soldier field, and a few cool condo buildings next to another marina out of this. it won't be anything ground breaking and it won't be anything we've never seen before or don't already have. i can't say i know enough about brazil to say what they are proposing, and japan isn't a developing country anyway and probably would do something similar to chicago unless they are bent on showing up beijing. as for developed countries getting all the olympics i'd say it probably pretty much all comes down to money, and for the winter games, climate. i don't think it really has anything to do with a lack of appreciation for the cultures. although developing nations do host the olympics as well and i would guess will be doing so much more in the future. i could see india, brazil, mexico, vietnam, south africa, dubai, turkey, romania holding the olympics. it seems plausible to me.

Sep 5, 09 8:31 am  · 
 · 
bigbear

I can tell you that if I were an Olympian, the last thing I would want to do is go to a developing country and stay in some "alternative" type olympic village just to make archinect posters feel like they are involved world citizens.

I would have worked pretty hard for decades at my sport to get to the olympics. For me, Id want to go to a nice city that can afford the games..not have the games used as some charity event to make up for the guilt that some privileged architect feels.

Sep 5, 09 10:42 am  · 
 · 

you are an architect or a draftsman right?
what's wrong with olympic village operated with solar power and recycled water etc..? (read alternative)
what's wrong with a developing country organizing olympics? that doesn't mean athletes are going to stay on the street right? after all there are regulations and standards for these facilities. many countries can build /provide them with those standards.
you have problems with privileged architects but no problem with only privileged countries getting the olympics right?
what are you saying?
and what about same country hosting the olympics every decade. everybody seems to be dodging this point and twisting the word 'developing' country. you guys got nothing. you just want chicago no matter what because you are locals and thinking like locals. well fine..
olympics are international... and will always be like that. america didn't invent olympics nor should control it. get on the line, take a ticket, sit down and wait for your turn. chicago is not the only city in the world needs an economic stimulus...
ahhh. the selfish and greedy... and talking down to less fortunate and poorer. many of gold medalists come from countries you guys talk down as a possible host. not everything is about the money.
wouldn't you be interested as an architect to design olympic facilities with less than blockbuster budgets?

security?
the only deadly incident happened in atlanta olympics in recent memory, that is us. not good for security considerations.

what about cuba? tunisia? morocco, kenya, hungary, slovenia, turkey, romania, iran, syria, russia, ukraine, india, vietnam, indonesia, panama, chile, argentina, canada, peru, kuwait, poland, croatia, switzerland, philippines, new zealand, malta, libya, kazakhstan, azerbaijan, norway, holland, venezuela, etc & more, that i can't think of right now? there are tons of countries who can do an olympic event. developing or not.

i never said chicago should never hold the olympics. in fact, i really liked chicago and learned great deal there about modern architecture when i was a student traveling usa. i just said three olympic games in that many decades in the same country is little too much for the rest of the world.
what is so hard to understand that?
but anyway, good luck. IOC is corrupt anyway. i'd like to see rio win and host the olympics for the first time in so. america.
but in reality, i don't really give a rats ass because olympics has long been a one big corporate ad campaign and chicago being the first olympic proposal not federally (nationally) underwritten one, you can be rest assured to see athletes running races with pepsi bottles in their hands or swimming with sharks!

Sep 5, 09 11:58 am  · 
 · 
crowbert

Someone who doesn't care doesn't make multiple posts...

Anyway, sure being a chicagoan and wanting the olympics is being a bit selfish - along with all the other cities out their vying for them. If they were truly egalitarian nobody would bid for them and each mayor everywhere would just wait until the IOC tapped on their shoulder and said "you're next".

Chicago has a reputation for corruption, but chicago has a reputation for inflated reputations - is there another city out there that had a catastrophic fire and the next day was out there touting the investment opportunities that abound? Hell, the olympics depend on corruption or a strong-arm dictator because the olympics officials need a governmental steamroller to get them everything they want. So long as Da Mare Jr. has that image, the Olympics will be coming to chicago.

Besides, there's the around the world rule asia...europe...america...lather...rinse...repeat...

Although I do believe it will be more taxes for me, but not more jobs, other than a bunch of them for two weeks in 2016 where we will ask "no fries, cheeps!" (the chicago version of "would you like fries with that?"

Sep 6, 09 10:38 am  · 
 · 
TED

This TED fella from chicago agrees with the Orhan fella from Cali -

also, compactness in the case of Chicago plan misses a huge opportunity to stop turning our back on the majority of the city that is a vaste empty lot and put the energy and olypmics there

Sep 6, 09 11:40 am  · 
 · 
cmrhm

Ted: I am disappointed at ur comments.

Brazil got world cup, it is fair for Chicago to get Olympic.
Chicago is corrupt. But which city is clean in politics? How about Beijing in 2000? You think it is better than Chicago? But now after success of olmpic, BJ is an modern example.

Chicago, go get. Just simple as that.

Sep 6, 09 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
chicagoarchitect

A few weeks of 2016 Olympics tourism trade doesn't justify the enormous cost to a city that is already at financial risk. Real estate development impact upon Chicago? Here in Chicago, the big public agency projects seem to go to the same handful of politically well-connected crony firms, over and over again. 2016 Olympics is just another Chicago-style crony-fest of Daley's favored contractors and vendors, just like McCormick Place expansion, O'Hare expansion, Navy Pier reconstruction, Millenium Park, etc. A little bit of window dressing, and a whole lot of corrupt Chicago-style "pay-to-play" political patronage - Chicago's bid for 2016 Olympics included.

Will it have an impact on those firms NOT on favored contractor list? NO.

Will it remove funding and attention to far more critical issues here in Chicago, like under-performing municipal and county services, spike in street crime, deteriorating jobs situation, etc. YES. Absolutely. And the 2016 Olympics is not going to create a sizable number of new construction and architecture/engineering jobs, because those favored contractors already have all the employees they need to perform those anticipated contracts as well.

If Chicago receives the 2016 Olympics, Daley will have disregarded the interests of his constituents for his personal goal of creating a monument to his mayoral rein. But it's not going to make Chicago any better than the well-deserved "most stressful city" designation two years in a row from Forbes.

Sign me a disgruntled and disappointed Chicagoan.

Sep 6, 09 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

You just have to research the trials ad tribulations that recent host cities have experienced. Certainly some good opportunities in a small community such as my own but in a large corporate world the trickle down effect may not reach many folks. The expected hassle of the actual event could be nasty and I'm not sure what's going to occur, I like the effect of the run up to the event but like most I am scared by the actual event.

If Chicago is as corrupt as many have indicated I suspect that the only benefit will be for a select few only. If you think chicago has a chance to get it you'll have to review its competition and check out there skeletons. Oh and by the way the IOC is very corrupt too.

Sep 9, 09 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
2step

The large corporate contingent is also helping to solve the problem of uber expensive Olympics for 3rd world countries to host in the future. The chairman is an insurance CEO.

link

Its not corrupt it's creative. The Chicago bid represents a turning away from the massive infrastructure driven games whereby the host nation has to shell out tens of billions often for an abandoned venue to deal with later on. This proposal reinvents the template to focus on compactness and affordability. It also for the first time puts the burden on the private sector rather than local government. That in itself may be the clincher.

Let the haters hate, thats all they are good for. Try to see the proposal for what it is - a complete overhaul of the Olympic movement towards party or festivel to celebrate the games rather than a fashion show. Think of it like a giant State Fair for the world.

Sep 9, 09 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
2step

CMRHM -

Per your original post before it was threadjacked, " big tech firms like MOT lost it's battle dramatically"

I'm assuming you refer to Motorola? I was playing with an Android based Sholes last weekend. My friend works there and has one. It blows away the iphone imho and it actualy works for making phone calls. I think Moto has a hit. And if you think cell phones make or break Moto its just 1 division, the set top box market is just as lucrative.

Theres a lot of hi tech here. A lot of it is fairly mundane stuff you just never think about like bar code scanners and cash registers.

Sep 9, 09 5:11 pm  · 
 · 

this thread was never 'jacked'
it is funny after all your faul mouth compliments, you turned around and start to talk about inclusion of third world countries etc...
you jackass!

Sep 9, 09 5:31 pm  · 
 · 

i just happen to be interested in low cost olympics and hosting possibilities of lesser than super nations and i have written about it.

Sep 9, 09 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

this sounds ridiculous to those who don't live here. but, i always thought that india no place, indianastan would be a great place to have the olympics. for example, the major stadiums are all downtown, all new and all within walking distance of one another. there is a natatorium that is world class as well. there is plenty of lodging and plenty of sports infrastructure. the entire city is geared for sports and hosting sporting events. plus i could rent my place for a fortune and leave town.

Sep 9, 09 5:46 pm  · 
 · 

^ i am down with that, as long as vado lights the olympic torch as the rocketman. ...and, splits with the money from lodging income...

Sep 9, 09 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

indianapolis ain't no place to raise a kid. in fact, its cold as hell...

Sep 9, 09 8:57 pm  · 
 · 
cmrhm

Ok, Let us back to our top:

If chicago got Olympic, the following will benefit:
construction related: HD, LEN
financial: GS,C
Tech: NVDA

In the mean time, I hold stocks from Brazil in case:
EWZ and its little brother.

Many of you don't invest, but if you do, pls watch my lists and if you like, tell me your thoughts.

Sep 12, 09 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
cmrhm

All the show in chicago and White house tells me that Brazil will get Olympic 2016 on Oct 2.

Guys, BRF or EWZ is a buy if you want to profit from this event.

Sep 17, 09 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
crowbert

Maybe we just have the olympic committee build a giant floating barge which houses the olympic stadium and fields (think some sort of floating archigram creation) and they just dock it somewhere new every four years.

Sep 22, 09 12:50 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: