Archinect
anchor

unemployment

le bossman

is anyone else in here unemployed, and just really friggin bored?

May 25, 04 6:00 pm
JMBarquero/squirrelly

right here le boss man.........looking tho

May 25, 04 6:02 pm  · 
 · 

The new Jobs section will hopefully help.

May 25, 04 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

yeah it looks great paul...thanks for the addition. Just can't say much about the offices that are on there posting, but hey......

May 25, 04 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

hey paul,
are the postings done by individuals or by your crew? Cause if theres some control on your part......might I suggest also including some smaller firms (the ones that do good architecture). Just thinking out loud!

May 25, 04 6:25 pm  · 
 · 
J3

Here we go again...with the big firm bashing...
good job on the site paul. do these firms submit this info to you or are these put on there by the staff? just asking.
Squirrelly, maybe your star firm would like to hire us wannabe architects.

May 25, 04 8:59 pm  · 
 · 

job postings are posted directly by firms or by us if we're requested to post them.

May 25, 04 9:42 pm  · 
 · 
Francisco David Boira

Look if you want to hear from small firms like the ones you are possibly talking about...I give you the rough numbers here in NYC.
option A: no pay
option B: 500 to 1500 a month (depends on your work and if the crit has seen your work on a final crit perhaps)
**some of them might trick you and if you are soft (and dumb) will end up working weekends...it all relative though.
**this is for interns, I havent graduated yet so I dont know how much you would get paid if you have finished already, hope this helps**

May 25, 04 9:52 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

ok ok, need to clarify, apparently J3 either had a bad day or thinks Im bashing. Since I can't express the tone of voice when I asked my question to Paul, here goes an explanation.

J3, I wasn't bashing big firms man. I know what they are about, and I've worked at one before. This is the reason why I asked paul about smaller firms that do good work (NOT STAR FIRMS/HIGH PROFILE ONES) so please don't assume anything.

nycbcn, I unfortunately did get suckered into working for a crap office where the boss thought he was a star and paid little and worked f'ed up hours + weekends. That ended quickly (I quit after several weeks).

Anyways, just wanted to clarify. Thanks Paul for the info, and it's great to have that as another intuitive element of the site.

Thanks to all.....

May 26, 04 1:33 pm  · 
 · 

squirrely, from my experience, smaller firms tend to hire by asking their current employees for references... word of mouth.

May 26, 04 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

right....well paul, if you know anyone.........btw you're in LA right?

May 26, 04 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
J3

not that yo had to clarify, but it all makes sense now...not really having a bad day, just really tired of hearing fresh out of school youngsters bashing everyone...it's cool.
Smaller firms (solid ones that don't expect "free" employees in exchange for a name) do generally lean towards personal refferals, but that doesn't mean you can't try. It sounds like youre looking...
thanks paul. Best of luck Sq..

May 26, 04 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

so, apparently the economy's on its way back up. where is all the construction happening these days? (and i'm talking about markets here, not where all of the avant garde designers are)

May 27, 04 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
soleproprietornow

I am now self employed, out of necessity. I formerly managed an 8 person branch office which was closed after the economy nosedived after 9/11, and the primary client of the branch office came up broke and unable to continue paying the fees for the $45 million project they had commissioned. After sending out over 50 resumes, and getting only 2 responses (polite rejections), I decided I was self employed. Last years taxes showed an income of about 1/3 of what I had earned as a salary when managing the branch office....which sucks, but the reality of this profession is that most small firms are headed by folks my age or younger, and don't want someone with over 30 years experience...and the large firms are happy to hire someone with 5-10 years experience and call them a project manager and pay them less. So...bottom line....I am not unemployed, but only barely so.

May 31, 04 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
Crumpets

Well...I just lost my job yesterday.

I'm sad and scared at the future, but a little relieved. I feel a little stupid for taking the position in the first place. I left a real, full-time job, granted with a firm that I didn't like, to take this newer job that turned out to be nothing but a contract position. Basically, I was everyone's bitch-boy doing simple menial tasks and when I ask my boss for some responsibility, two weeks later I'm shown the door.

Anyone have any votes of confidence, cause right now I'm feeling really low.

Jun 2, 04 7:58 am  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

hey hang in there crumpets...
If what you state trully happened the way it did, you are BETTER OFF, so no worries mate. If the boss showed you the door just for being ambitious and overzealous, then like you said, there is some relief because deep down you knew it was not the "right fit" for you.

Good luck!

Jun 2, 04 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
A

Question: are all the recent grads getting jobs out there?

I keep hearing that things are up but haven't seen it here in the mid-west. I would like to know what markets are hot so I can carpet bag me some of that.

Jun 2, 04 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
Devil Dog

Portland, OR is doing good.

Jun 2, 04 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
hutch

Who's hiring in Portland?

Jun 2, 04 7:57 pm  · 
 · 

i'm a recent grad (a month ago) and I'm yet to land anything - and I'm not overly wet behind the ears, I've worked for several firms and also have an associates in civil engineering. Plus I'd like to think that I'm a pretty good designer.

I'm all about the carpet bagging approach to job hunting right now, I'm willing to travel to anywhere warmer than New England, and I'm sure I could be easily convinced to go somewhere colder...

Jun 2, 04 8:04 pm  · 
 · 
anatomical gift

You really are a whore...

Jun 2, 04 8:05 pm  · 
 · 

Damn straight I am. I have nothing to hold me down to any specific area, so why limit myself?

Jun 2, 04 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
c

quite unemployed here. in Paris. Have to find a job & apt. ever read that book by orwell ' down and out in london and paris' ....
anyone on this forum had any experience working in this city?

Jun 4, 04 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
Cameron

I've been unemployed for 18 months since gensler laid me off - on 9/11/02!

kinda been too busy to find a gig but I'm gonna have to take one soon - the unemployment diet is pretty good though.

Jun 5, 04 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
CREAM

employed- but my current job blows and i'm already interviewing for alternative situations.

Jun 5, 04 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

so i thought seeing as this is the state of my life right now that i would revive this thread..

c'mon! share your unemployment grievances! yeah!

Jun 14, 05 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
Crumpets

I just re-read my above post. Man I sound pathetic. What a difference a year makes. I'm employed and happy. My friend, on the other hand, has been searching for a job for a long time. I'm not too sure how the economy is doing. I hear about firms hiring here and there, but nothing significant. I guess maybe it's local.

Jun 14, 05 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

im still in a2...i had an interview today, another one tomorrow. i was planning on leaving july 31, when my lease ends, but i'm short on cash so i'll probably get a new place and stay until the fall.

so, who's hiring down there? what kind of work is there?

Jun 14, 05 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

a man of means
by nomeans
king of the road

Jun 14, 05 6:04 pm  · 
 · 

I wish I were unemployed the stress of work is killing me. Hopefully it will get better when the new guy finally arrives - I can kill him instead

Jul 7, 05 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

I gotta agree, real work is way too stressful, 'specially in Arch-World.
I make it a point never to get a real job. Self-Employment is the way for the AS'M (Architectural Slackers of'Merica).

Look at it this way: I call my own hours, clients & have more say about pay. Oh sure! There's that little detail of keeping busy (aka - pounding the pavment), but I get to do more interesting stuff than I ever would in some (other) 's office...plus, it's a boatload -O- fun.

$60K a year to get my head bashed in by some cheap-ass egomaniac who's pissed that he invested his life in 'drawing' Post Apartments, or stressing about choosing the right acoustical ceiling tile for a middle manager's office. Nahh. But for $100K, I'll take it from some goofy client. And, if the chit get's to be too much - I fire myself & go take a road trip or something.

Jul 7, 05 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

i totally disagree. not knowing where you'll go after your lease runs out or worrying about making your bills on time is much more stressful. for the record, i have found a job.

Jul 8, 05 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
momentum

congrats bossman hope it turns out the way you want it to.

Jul 8, 05 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

thanks. its a temporary job, to hold me over until i start my empire.

Jul 9, 05 4:05 pm  · 
 · 

will it be an evil empire?

Jul 10, 05 5:55 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

what's the purpose of an empire if it isn't evil? sans the ottoman empire of course, whose purpose we all know.

Jul 10, 05 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
boyles

Sinclair, you are just feeding off of that damn msu and the oscar you won. you won one right?

Jul 10, 05 9:33 pm  · 
 · 
architecturegeek

le bossman - it was to make stools right?

Jul 11, 05 12:11 am  · 
 · 

benign dictatorships can be nice...

Jul 11, 05 3:13 am  · 
 · 
ether

I AM INVINCEBLE!

Jul 11, 05 11:16 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

not to make stools but to make ottomans, it was an empire dedicated to putting your feet up.

Jul 11, 05 4:46 pm  · 
 · 

hah hah

too funny - the roman empire was peaceful - relatively compared to now.

good luck on that lebossman

Jul 11, 05 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
caffeine junkie

the roman empire was peaceful? who knew you could rule the western world peacefully...

Jul 11, 05 10:09 pm  · 
 · 

*bump*

May 21, 07 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

so who else in the pax arcinectus is currently looking for work while collecting unemployment?

what about those w/o?

it seems that some cities have all the work, ny, la, londinium, and beijing...

this is the fifth week and counting for tk, and i'm happy to report that the first unemployment check just cleared... $440/week makes temping so unpractical. I'd need to bring in at least $600/week to make loosing the state's check worthwhile.

as reported elsewhere, I'm lazing around sending out resumes to every prospective that pops up (once a week if I'm lucky), on my knees pulling weeds in the garden, running up my posting count on archinect, studying for the LARE, and indulging in some writing.

May 21, 07 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
misterTT

*wavey*

I just graduated last week, and am waiting to hear back from my "top 25" list of firms I've contacted. I've got two offers from extremely small practices (both of which doing GREAT work) that are willing to give me lots of responsibility for someone with no experience. the downside is that the pay is quasi-legal in one case, and totally under-the table in the other. So either I play the cash-in-hand game and get to do good work or I sit around on archinect while the interest from my student loans starts to add up and crush my soul.

May 21, 07 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Bummer TK....doesn't seem like that long ago you moved to MPLS.

May 21, 07 12:39 pm  · 
 · 

misterTT: defer that shit, yo!

(yeah, the interest accumulates, but at least you don't have to make the payments while you're looking for a job)

tk: I'm starting to think about signing up for that check. I've only been looking for about a week, but to have some income would be handy.

May 21, 07 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

765- sign up immediately, since most states have a two week waiting period and you have everything to gain.

snooker, it's been a weird ride so far in mpls for me. if you missed the drama, here's a recap:

the principals who hired me (in November) got forced out in February and so when I got the boot last month, i wasn't surprised since they were still reorganizing. Guess not every firm really wants to make green buildings.

May 21, 07 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

just remember you have to pay taxes on unemployment

May 21, 07 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
work for idle hands

765-- i second sign up immediately. the time i got unemployment i missed out on one or two entire checks cause i waited. 440s pretty good. in chic the most you could get i think was 330 before taxes (that was 2 yrs ago)

May 21, 07 2:12 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: