Archinect
anchor

if we wish to preserve a planet similar to that on which civilization developed..

dia

treekiller, I can read a number of papers that support either position. I am not for saying the status quo remains. I am merely pointing out that the debate is not over [actually, it hasnt really started] and that enforcing a range of measures based on worst case scenarios may be uncessecary.

May 13, 08 9:16 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

"So what are you doing to reduce your greenhouse gas emission?"

I live close to where I work/study...I ride my bike everywhere and I even take my son to school and pick him up via 2 wheels.

People look at me like I am an alien a lot of the time...but I just smile and ride...Maceo, my son, loves the chariot treatment...and being taken to school and picked up with his favorite animal in the world, Pablo.

We do have two cars but we use them as little as possible. One is a fairly efficient car that we use as the primary vehicle while we have the Rodeo for bigger loads.

May 13, 08 9:39 pm  · 
 · 
dsc_arch

you are the spitting image of the lead charater in the books I mentioned up thread.

May 13, 08 10:05 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

I used to really enjoy riding jump seat on my mom's bike when I was very young.

May 13, 08 10:28 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

@kpsyarch, change is an inevitable trait of nature...that is good enough reason to "foul/destroy the earth"...these things are much bigger than you and i...you are only fooling yourself if you think you can change that

May 13, 08 10:35 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

oh...and i have a buddha wipe my ass for me. thank you very much!

May 13, 08 10:39 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

psy_arch, you have over 500 posts and you should know puddles by now

May 13, 08 10:39 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

stop making love... just war.

May 13, 08 10:54 pm  · 
 · 
PsyArch

Apu, I have bumped into puddles before now, but the astonishment doesn't fade: Like shitstains on unwashed pants.

As we come to terms with the fact that there is no mind-body division, perhaps we will, as individuals, come to realise that there is...

Gosh. I'll come back and write about the lack of difference between an individual and the planet, the fact that the DNA of one individual is effectively just one strand of the global DNA (call it GNA), that while my brain might be in good order, a heart attack finishes it, or vice versa

May 14, 08 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i almost posted a picture of a shitstain but...

May 14, 08 11:07 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i love you sweet leaf!

May 15, 08 12:13 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

kids! kids! enough potty mouth name calling - take it out to the playground (if there still is one).

with polar bears now officially 'threatened' by climate change, the endangered species act is the appropriate legal sledgehammer to force the government to act. The fear of such an appropriately responsible act happening was very evident in the secretary of the interiors spin. I hope somebody files suit immediately because the government is culpable for rising CO2 levels that are shrinking the sea ice.

May 15, 08 10:07 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

i'm not saying that we should all just go around ruining the earth, but in the long term there's really nothing humans can do to make any difference. considering the cataclysmic things nature can and does do the earth, humans aren't even that destructive. so, is the notion that we must protect the environment simply a moral one?

http://www.extremescience.com/calderas.htm

http://www.unb.ca/passc/ImpactDatabase/

May 15, 08 10:41 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

on second thought nevermind. that is a silly question.

May 15, 08 10:56 am  · 
 · 
chupacabra

"considering the cataclysmic things nature can and does do the earth, humans aren't even that destructive"

A) Humans are part of nature, not separate from it.

B) Humans will not destroy earth but we are more than capable of creating a more difficult earth on which we can exist...or not exist...although, that is inevitable in the long run since nothing lives forever...the question then becomes how soon do we want to leave the stage?...and, what quality of life to we care to leave the humans that follow us?

May 15, 08 11:12 am  · 
 · 

my holiday wish is that we can reduce how much carbon we emit next year.

Dec 13, 08 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
aking

this thread bring to mind two movies. "the day the earth stood still" and "the nines"

Dec 15, 08 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller
Letter to President Obama & Michelle

from James Hansen being hand delivered on January 20th:

Dear Michelle and Barack,

We write to you as fellow parents concerned about the Earth that will be inherited by our children, grandchildren, and those yet to be born.

Barack has spoken of ‘a planet in peril’ and noted that actions needed to stem climate change have other merits. However, the nature of the chosen actions will be of crucial importance...

There is a profound disconnect between actions that policy circles are considering and what the science demands for preservation of the planet. A stark scientific conclusion, that we must reduce greenhouse gases below present amounts to preserve nature and humanity, has become clear to the relevant experts...

The end of coal is near! Maybe the flood of coal ash in Tennessee will be the last stand of big coal.

Jan 5, 09 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

Free Ramos and Compean - i make my own compost

but do you humanure?

Jan 5, 09 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

if it will save the world, i'll do it.

my carbon footprint is currently 100% offset so i'm open to humanuring if someone wants to sponsor me and atone for their carbon sins.

Jan 5, 09 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

i ask because my mom does it and she swears by this method and has a book on it (really informative stuff on correct composting)

given she lives in the privative and i just helped her with a new solar array w/ water pressure system and materials to build geodesic greenhouses so she can grow food all year round have water pressure and electricity for our straw bale on the divide

Jan 5, 09 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes
"Despite all the books on manure and how to use it, human manure composting is not covered elsewhere, making THE HUMANURE HANDBOOK: A GUIDE TO COMPOSTING HUMAN MANURE a fine reference for any who would learn these basics. Now in its 3rd edition, THE HUMANURE HANDBOOK covers all the basics of human waste management, from septic systems to commercial composting toilets, sewers, and more. A history of various composting methods, science, and problems is accompanied by a healthy dose of humor plus a solid foundation of science into pathogens, pros and cons of competing systems, and more. If you're an avid composter, there's nothing like this on the market."
Jan 5, 09 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
Dazed and Confused

Subterranean deposits of oil, coal, and natural gas are artifacts from an ancient war between the scrubby little plants (maples) and the large lush plants (oaks). Rush sings all about it . . . but I digress . . . the scrubby plants won this war and succeeded in bringing CO2 levels down to 350 ppm from 700 ppm - killing off the larger plants by essentially burying them deep in the ground. Hence, the large lush plants died off or lost power. The scrub-plants' targeted tactics that were so successful during the war were henceforth taken as overzealous and eventually forgotten - only adding to the lore of the large lush plants in the long run. Though, alas it was already too late for the mighty ones and they now live on only in the legends of old.

Jan 6, 09 12:25 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: