Archinect
anchor

NO LIBRARY FOR BUSH!

i think that's a pretty clear statement of something that stern DOES believe, annalee. he's basically saying that a specific administration's politics is of its time but the larger flow of ideas and big-picture political history is less tied to an era. stern tries to make similar arguments about his own architecture relative to modern, postmodern, etc, suggesting that what he's doing is part of a more generally accepted flow: an architectural legacy. agree or not, he's certainly consistent over the last few decades.

Sep 23, 07 9:13 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

The man has a point about contributing to a historical discussion, and if he wants to build a library let him.

Who knows, maybe 50 years from now Iraq will be a peaceful, stable democratic state and a force for positive change. Bush will be remeber as a visionary and perhaps our best president since Lincoln, or at least FDR.

What, I can dream can't I? I'd rather Iraq be a stable democracy than a hellhole.

Sep 23, 07 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

Annalee, thanks for posting that. It's very interesting.. I think you're right. He's backing away from his own project. I don't know how one can argue that a partisan political forum furthers the concept of political dialogue -- a presidential library is a monument to a man, not to an idea of democracy.

From that quote, I'd put it at 50/50 that he either resigns the commission or they fire him.

Sep 23, 07 11:33 pm  · 
 · 
21Ronin

It seems like a mistake to dedicate a library (a place of knowledge and education) to a theif that probably pronounces the word.............."libary".

Nov 28, 07 2:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: