Archinect
anchor

Should Houses Float?

Apurimac

Excuse me, i'm going to shoot down per's original argument right here and forget I ever read anything so dumb as this:

"Btw I don't belive that with the earth as a globe with a molten red-hot iron core ; where are the rust from the vulcans, not a single vulcano spit out rust, iron minerals and isn't that in a way, strange , with so much molden red-hot iron inside ?"

A here are the 4 most common elements that comprise this planet, inculding the crust, the part we live on:

Oxygen
Silicon
Aluminum
and the winner is at no 4: IRON

Volcanic rock contains elemental iron. Not that this proves there's iron at the earth's core. Rfuller already proved that with his mumbo-jumbo about electromagnetic fields and what not, but I'll add to that and I'm going to forget i even entered this thread.

Aug 16, 07 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
Liebchen

I bet that will convince him. Good job, Apurimac.

Aug 16, 07 1:14 pm  · 
 · 

Apu, what about Carbon? Doesn't carbon have a say? Archinectors for Carbon unite!!

Aug 16, 07 1:53 pm  · 
 · 

Shoot I meant to say that with the impending hurricane I really am glad that I don't live on a floating house. The reported today that there is a direct correlation with the increased temperature of the waters with the rise of hurricanes in the Atlantic Ocean. Hurricanes come first thing you do is take your boat out of the water or else the hurricane will do it for you [insert hurricane Andrew or Katrina]

Aug 16, 07 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Per never really dies in arguments, he just comes back stronger the more he is attacked. It's really best to just ignore him.

On a serious note, I'd love a floating house. We'll probably be designing them in large quantities once parts of major cities get flooded. I can just imagine lower Brooklyn as a community comprised mostly of house boats.

Actually, correction, those elements are the 4 most common on the crust, again the part we live, again according to per does not have alot of iron in it because the vulcans aren't spewing rust. If you include the inner parts, and don't subscribe to the "hollow earth" theory, iron is actually one of the most common elements in the planet if not the most.

The More You Know

Aug 16, 07 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
Liebchen

Vulcans are at the center of the earth?

Aug 16, 07 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

As if you didn't know!? Dude, its established fact.

Aug 16, 07 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
cf

If not float, they should be on wheels (at least two axles per house).
Width of highway lanes should be taken into consideration during design.

Aug 16, 07 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

2. Vulcan

The art of pleasuring a woman with two fingers of one hand in both holes at the same time

aka, the Shocker

Aug 16, 07 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

New science indicate the textonic plates lubricate on a water based mineral ecxchanging watery compoments maneaging exotic reactions compared the old red-hot iron core suggestion , READ ;

http://www.terradaily.com/reports/Keeping_The_Plates_Of_Planet_Earth_Well_Oiled_999.html

Then tell me what do not indicate the earth expanding in fact all scientific work, prove the water hasn't rised yet in fact the sea level has fallen and there are measures to prove that, beside the lack of iron compoments in the salt water..

Aug 16, 07 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
Liebchen

That paper is about the composition of the asthenosphere, which is part of the upper mantle...not the earth's iron core.

Aug 16, 07 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
emaze

and global warming is a hoax...

Aug 16, 07 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

Seriously Per. For the past month I had developed a soft spot in my heart for you. You are whittling that spot away with astonishing speed. This is the kind of thing they talk about on Coast to Coast AM, along with Bigfoot, Alien Abductions, the Loch Ness Monster, and many other kinds of supermarket tabloid fodder.

I think you have a degree zero understanding of geology.

Aug 16, 07 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

per, the fact that this image:

was on that website makes me think its BS even though it may not be. Upon reading said article (which was interesting by the way) there is no evidence in there to suggest earths core is not in fact, solid iron. Which scientists have know for a long time by analyzing seismic waves as they pass through the earth.

I have a geologist friend, he thinks your crazy.

Oh and Iron is the 21st most common element found in solution in sea water.

You are either a genius who's indecipherable mauling of the English language hides your true brilliance, or some thing else, but i don't want to say it for fear of a flame war.

Aug 16, 07 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

21st most common substance ; how many zero's will that encounter , it's almost nothing right ?

Now I has to say a picture is no prove, that scientists "known" that as a fact describe very poor science. I simply do not belive that readings prove anything but their results that this or that measure are taken , the caurse the speculation about what this "prove" to often has let into endless exchouses as how the soild core theorie evolved into a molten one --- "there are magneto povers ,small, but enough to read a compass needle so ergo "inside the earth there are a solid iron core , no btw. with that preasure it better be red hot, as a solid core will create enourmous magnetic reactions , oh no btw it don't consist of one molten red-hot bubble it happily has two now hard to emagine, but what the heck hokus pokus, no one will ever know.

Right now they are looking even further away for the black substance while it was not there , then it is just further away, and yes ; matters was createt in super novas helium say for a number of billions of years, after that the super nova made lithium at some point iron later on uran but all, with billions of years to cover and spaces of parcec to cover , Still after many enfinities it all collect here on earth on saturn on any star all over , --- tell me how why is everything not scattered all over the univers , how can you belive such nonsense .

The theorie and it is nothing more, that earth has two seperate iron cores , only try explain why there are no rust in vulcano's , it is simply to strong an argument and with iron inside the earth why such madness, fir what reson shuld there be just iron , and with no prove except good wills.

Aug 16, 07 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

The answer about if houses shuld float is that they do already, on the textonic plates, that will float even better , but not nessery in one end away from eachother and in the other end in under the naibouring plate ; as we can only prove the craks where it move away from eachother, while new bottom create, --- the pushing up mountains are a bad exchouse to exchouse another old wrong theorie. The black matter why shuldn't it fuel the sun, isn't the earth and the planets just small lumps of sun anyway , that case my theori explain better, why they act and look different. It indicate that matter as in the sun is created on the perimeter as how things happen on the surface of any object , what fuel the textonid plates moving if not matter are created and pushing them around, -------- sorry to say, but soon you will hear that inside the earth there are an atomic reactor, it's not constructed just there, as that explain all those things. I will then ask, where are the controles.

Aug 16, 07 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

not gonna argue with per, not gonna argue with per, DAMMIT I CANT HELP MYSELF.

Look, per, you know earthquakes right? Well when seismic activity occurs in say, hawaii, they can measure the seismic waves of that earthquake all over the world. Of course when the waves hit say, Denmark you don't feel it, but seismographs can record it. By analyzing the time it takes these waves to pass through the earth as well as what happens to their magnitude, scientists, trained geologists that know a hell of a lot more about the subject that you, have determined that earth's core is sold.

Well what kind of solid you say? Good question, but considering what our planet is made of (oxygen, silicon, aluminum, iron, etc), it is fair to say that the solid in question is likely iron or an iron-nickel alloy to be more accurate. This is also confirmed by electromagnetic fields around the earth, electromagnetic fields generated by MOLTEN IRON outside the earth's core in the outer core that would not exist if there was no iron in there. So, if the outer core is iron, and we know what happens to liquids under EXTREME pressure, they solidify, it is very, very logical to reason that our core, is in fact, made up mostly of iron in a solid state.

And your preposterous reason that our earths innards contain no iron because you don't see huge clouds of rust spewing from volcanoes is frankly childish. Volcanic rock contains large amounts of iron and volcanic rock is made from cooled magma, you know the pretty glowing stuff coming out of the volcanoes when they go boom?

Aug 16, 07 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

My sole point are that there are no prove the sea level will raise, in fact measures of sea level are so difficult to read, that it acturly point the other way, or it has nothing to do with "sea level" that the textonic plates stabilise within whatever povers are effecting them, but what do , is huge povers anyway , and no povers come from nothing.
There are no atomic reactor inside the earth , but the sun create helium , the earth react with earthquakes andwe claim that liquid hands push the mantle now, wouldn't surfacing new matter be a better answer to both the heat, the earthquakes, the textonic plates mooving further away from eachother , isn't the new sea bottom prove enough, yet still we shuld belive the other types of "craks" in the mantle, those we can't see, as they are under the mountains being pushed into the sky wrong, hydrolics do that better. If the sun and the planest are basicly the same bubble of plasma, a special one that in the sun react with the "outside" atleast on it's surface heavily reacting, and the core black , sun spots Are black why ? So why shuldn't the same "matter" as the plants are pieces of the sun, under less surface less preasure , produce a mantle a skin of matter, while not having the povers of such much greater a mass as the sun.
BTW, as the sun also do magnetics , do that has core otr two of Iron ?
Where is the black matter then if not undeer our feetsm just longer and longer away ? what shuld it's "porpus be anyway, if not creating matter.

Aug 16, 07 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
upside

gah. i tried typing answers but it all hurt too much.

1. the sun does not create matter. it converts an existing concentration hydrogen to helium.

2.there is no new matter at the center of ze earth. the crust is deformed by convection, expansion and contraction due to temperature changes and gravitational forces of the moon and sun.

3. the sea level can rise. not only from more water entering the system from melting ice, but also because the more energy a substance has the weaker the chemical bonds and the larger its volume

Aug 16, 07 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

and he claims another victim!

Aug 16, 07 7:30 pm  · 
 · 
THEaquino

It hurts my head to read Per's comments.

Please use spell check. I beg you.

Aug 16, 07 7:40 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

It povers the mind...

Aug 16, 07 7:51 pm  · 
 · 

per isn't completely incorrect. It is actually debated whether the poles are actually "land" mass versus floating mass. Consider it an iceberg but much fucking bigger. [/end debate]

Aug 16, 07 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

"1. the sun does not create matter. it converts an existing concentration hydrogen to helium."

I thought that to be the explanation why super novas work, -- starting with the same reaction as in the sun to create hydrogen, then helium and that way make all matter over an endless timespan pushing rings of basic matter into the universe over time compleeting any basic ground matter m now you say it don't work as there has been found an explanation for how the sun work , geologs I persume know the mandle, why do they then even have an oppinion of what is further down.
But no explanation about how all that matter over several infinities that been pushed out nto the universem has ended uo her to develob an iron core just like that, How dis the matter from the supernova maneage that? we do agrea that matter is not created as I say under the mantle between the mandle and the self protecting plasma core m no layering in minerals would even indicate that even everything are layred. ------ so as the planets are small spills of the sun, then when they cool both the sun and the planets will all share an iron core --- what else shuld they share, they are all made from same plasma bubble matter, maybe what you call black matter my claim, is that "black matter" is already an imagination with several explanations , there are many directions already to explain creation of matter, why stay with old rumers about an iron core that has newre been proved unless someone was looking to prove one, why not look and realist that the planets and the sun are same matter, just various volumes , there are a matter creating process on the sun --- you realise that part of it where hydrogen become helium but where did the hydrogen come from and --- with such great mass, du you wonder why heavier grounds matters are not created can not be made or leave the sun, well with a smaller volume of the same son consistant, mayge there are where all matter are generated, and very practicly may I say, not in dust clowds millions of parcecs apart, but neadly assembled into minirals here on earth, as if it was acturly made here , and yes we also has hydrogen here why not, on the sun it can be created to.

Aug 16, 07 8:05 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Sorry if the tread could win first price of offtracked treads, I agrea my spelling to ,yestoday, was so much vorse , and that we ended discussing hydrogen when houses on wheels was just as relevant .

I take all blame but please know that it is difficult to resist a discussion about houseboats ,when you know how nice these can be and at the same time see how terrible designs compared the old proud tradisions of shipsbuilding, the history of houseboats and the actural good solutions this could lead to ---- houseboats acturly started that way, that people sailing their ships all their life, when getting older often stayed onboard. And there are a terrible difference between these converted real ships and boats, and the ugly unstable boxes architecte today try promote under the false defination "houseboat" , there are a quality difference and most of these modern floating houses newer shuld be described as boats in any way ---- stability calculations I guess, ar if ever made, the last thing these designers ever thought about and beside --- even it is possible to keep some of that both practical and cosy side effects of starting with a ships hull and changing that into a nice place to live, then today's designers seem to know nothing about projecting a ships hull so they maybe turn to what they can emagine ; to do an edgy watertight box, and then place a glass box ontop.

---------- The vorse thing about the whole thing is, focusing on this niche instead of solving the real problem , to find new technikes to build new strong and cheap houses , and do that even it seem a few even here in this fora, would hate new things to threaden their solid buisness , floating houses alway's is an issue that can take away the focus from where it is supposed to be, --- it is alway's easier to talk about than how to solve the real problems .

My exchouses if you need that, but realy floating houses are not realy what the world are crying for, new houses are.

Aug 17, 07 7:45 am  · 
 · 
Jonas77

sTRATA HOUSES WOULD.

Aug 17, 07 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

this is why i love archinect... a total joke has been turned into a serious conversation about plate tectonics..... amazing

Aug 17, 07 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
Doug Johnston
Floating houses for new orleans

Aug 19, 07 9:45 am  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Now if these houses could float, they would be tossed all over the place, all impossible to salvage, to expensive to build so they would not be dameaged, and if they was build "strong" as a fishing vessel to float and survive next flood, --- they would be to dangerous .

Making parts , say basement digged into the ground , secured , would be expensive and would only make rebuilding parts easier while everything had to be designed with great care ----- let go the light build parts , to spend the effords having a reliable foundation to get back to , make no sense as even parts of the house are strong enough to resist, you has to sacrifise the major parts.

Allowing parts of the structure to restand seem to me to be only a way to ensure a marker for the limits of the lost structure, but would indicate where to start to make a new house. allowing the main paneling to be lost, leaving the basic structure to stand with less surface for the forces to attack , seem to me the only way to ensure a rebuild. --- in that sense the old shotgun houses seem to lead the way, these basicly seem to be structures allowing some flooding by same princip I suggest above, what also been seen in tsunami floods, structural parts may survive depending their design, focus on a reliable basic structure and paneling that can be sacrificed will not build a house that is cheaply restored, but maybe some brilliant design idea could make this come thru. Based on the experience focus shuld be on the surviving structures and experience from tsunami dameage --- what survived there to, may indicate more practical solutions.

Aug 19, 07 10:27 am  · 
 · 
Liebchen

I'm not sure you read the article.

Aug 19, 07 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Im'e not sure it is academics that will solve that problem.

Aug 20, 07 5:21 am  · 
 · 
pvbeeber

So it seems pretty clear that we've collectively concluded that houses should, indeed, float.

Aug 23, 07 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

What can't bee seei in these pictures, are that this proberly work in a very controlled inviroment. These waters are controlled to a specific hight by locks and dikes , channals with locks and overflow mechanics , pump stations and lowland arears to flood in case of floods. So please don't think about these floating houses as a primitive solution, to make them you realy need to control the inviroment, ------- emagine the waters raise just one and a halve meter there .....

Aug 24, 07 6:19 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: