Archinect
anchor

Aggregate Seattle

holz.box

e,

yeah i'm on space city's email. i don't think i've missed a lecture since i moved here. not too shabby, even if it is a bit pricey.

local design firm shed made the contemporist recently.

i really like this project (hint hint, as i didn't get to do my interview there before)

some of the comments are hilarious. but for a lower budget house, it's pretty amazing.

so congrats, shed!

Jan 16, 09 12:32 am  · 
 · 
bRink

nice house... nice work there... hadn't heard of shed, are they a young firm?

Jan 16, 09 1:06 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

youngish, yes. a bunch of steve badanes grads that started a design build firm. these days, i think it's more design than build.

david sarti worked there, but i think i remember hearing he bounced.

Jan 16, 09 1:46 am  · 
 · 
e

nice indeed. i'd live there.

late notice on the suyama space opening tonight. 5-7p

NEW GROWTH / STRATUM MODEL
Kendall Buster

19 January – 17 April 2009
New Growth/Stratum Model is a site-specific sculptural installation designed and built for Suyama Space by Richmond, Virginia sculptor Kendall Buster. Conceived of as both scale model for a building or as a landscape fragment, the work operates as a merging of the natural and the constructed environment. Suspended horizontal planes fill the space to create a form at once topography map and architecture. These stacked planes are sliced into two segments, allowing movement through the building/landscape fragment. The form of the sculpture suggests a provisional boundary. Growth developing from the inside out – directed in a manner more akin to cellular organization in response to an environment.
New Growth/Stratum Model is made possible through funding from the Paul G. Allen Family Foundation, 4 Culture Arts Sustained Support, Mayor’s Office of Arts & Cultural Affairs Civic Partnership, and Suyama Space Friends and was curated by Beth Sellars in partnership with Space.City.

http://www.s-pd.com/art/
http://www.kendallbuster.com/

Jan 16, 09 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
kanu

did anyone feel this earthquake?

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsus/Quakes/uw01301325.php

I'm in downtown seattle and i didn't. slept right through it. My dog however felt it, freaked out woke me up and pissed all over bed.

Jan 30, 09 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
l8rpeace

passing this along as seattle-transplant-from-ny

Date
Feburary 3, 5:00-7:00p

Cost
Free, Please RSVP

Perform/Transform Exhibition Opening

Join us for a reception as we take a fresh look at the winning projects from Perform/Transform: 2008 Honor Awards. This exhibition profiles each of the winning projects through panels created by the winning firms themselves, including the winners of the People's Choice award. Visitors will also be taken behind the scenes of the Honor Awards process, learning more about the jury process, the perform/transform theme, and the values that drive an awards program. The reception will include light appetizers.

Feb 3, 09 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
sea-arch

To follow up on previous comments about layoffs...

Pb Elemental has layed off ALL employees.

I had the option to get unemployment & work part time at Pb with the hope of being paid for my time in the future. It sounded good, but I walked after a few days.

They are done.

Feb 3, 09 9:05 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

all?!? i was just by their office.
i would walk away as well. that's illegal and unethical.

Feb 3, 09 9:13 pm  · 
 · 
e

yikes.

Feb 3, 09 9:37 pm  · 
 · 
e

i noticed a for sale sign in front of this place last week

Feb 6, 09 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

would that be the 2nd or 3rd time in 3 years it has been up for sale?

Feb 6, 09 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
e

really? i wish i could afford it.

Feb 6, 09 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

earlier it was selling for US$1.5m

Feb 6, 09 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

any seattle 'nectors make it to the NW eco guild lecture on passivhaus and plusenergie systems?

holz walked in and it was packed, w/ about 25 people standing outside the doors trying to get something out of it. kinda lame, 3rd NW eco guild event i've gone to that's been like that. start getting larger rooms, clowns...

Feb 8, 09 4:43 pm  · 
 · 

I wasn't there, but I think that's a trend with sustainability-related events up here. Every time I hit up Green Drinks, there's nowhere left to park my bike.

Feb 8, 09 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

yikes, yeah.

crikey, i'd even pay if they'd get space big enough.

the 3 hour steven strong solar talk was at least put in a place that was large enough, there was food, and it was free. i just don't get how some groups are so incompetent.

Feb 8, 09 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
e

UW Architecture 2009 Winter Lecture Series
All lectures in the series will take place at 6:00 PM in 147 Architecture Hall on the University of Washington campus. They are free and open to the public.

Feb 18
URBAN ACUPUNCTURE
Inge Roecker | ASIR Studio

Inge Roecker is the principal of ASIR Architekten in Stuttgart and ASIR Studio in Vancouver. ASIR engages a multidisciplinary approach to sustainable building design with a focus on community partnerships. Roecker’s professional practice has a strong focus on the architecture of the everyday, from urban design to adaptive re-use. Roecker believes that interventions into the urban fabric must engage issues of cultural identity, authenticity of the neighborhood atmosphere, duration and change. Each building or project exhibits an integrated approach to planning that unites function with a high standard of design and ecological sustainability.

As a professor at the University of British Columbia, Roecker explores approaches to modifying historical architectural substance, a topic of urgency in Canada and elsewhere. At UBC, she is leading community outreach design studio presently partnering with the Chinatown community and the City of Vancouver’s ongoing Chinatown Revitalization Program, to explore the possibilities of transforming this historic district into a contemporary neighborhood.

The projects to be presented in this lecture perform an ‘acupuncture’ on the city through their emphasis on “stitching” the urban fabric. They are intended to conceptually and programmatically improve and sustain their immediate surroundings through an approach that utilizes architecture as an instrument to urban design.

Feb 25
U.S. HOUSING CRISIS: THE ROLE OF DESIGN
Michael Pyatok | Pyatok Architects

Michael Pyatok is one of the foremost experts and practitioners in the field of affordable housing design. A principal of Pyatok Architects and a professor at the University of Washington in Seattle, he has been an architect and professor of architectural design for 40 years. His practice serves non-profit organizations, private developers, government agencies and universities in building market-rate and affordable housing, mixed-use developments and community facilities.

Since opening his office in 1984, he has designed over 35,000 units of affordable housing for lower-income households in the US and has won over 130 local and national design awards. He has published many articles about affordable housing, urban design and community, co-authoring the book Good Neighbors: Affordable Family Housing in 1996.

Harvard University appointed him a Loeb Fellow in 1983 and the Buchsbaum Professor of Affordable Housing in 2003. In 1995 he was elected to the College of Fellows of the AIA in recognition of his contribution to neighborhood planning and the design of affordable housing. In 2001 he was named “Architect-of-the-Year” by Residential Architect Magazine and from 2004 to 2007 he served as the director of the ASU/Stardust Center for Affordable Homes and the Family.

Mar 4
The 2009 Callison Memorial Lecture
PLAY PAUSE REWIND FAST-FORWARD
Lise Anne Couture | Asymptote Architecture

Lise Anne Couture is a principal of Asymptote Architecture, the New York-based practice that she co-founded with Hani Rashid in 1989.

Current Asymptote projects include a master plan for Bergamo, Italy; two commercial office towers in Budapest, Hungary; and the World Business Center Solomon Tower in Busan, South Korea, a skyscraper that will be among the tallest buildings in Asia at 560m. Projects now under construction include 166 Perry Street, an innovative, high-end residential building in New York City, and two projects in Abu Dhabi: the Strata Tower, a forty-story, luxury residential tower, and a Formula One hotel. Recent completed projects include the award-winning HydraPier Pavilion in Haarlemmermeer, The Netherlands; the Guggenheim Virtual Museum; the New York Stock Exchange Advanced Trading Floor; and the design and creation of new brand identities for clients such as BMW and Alessi.

In 2004 Couture and Rashid were chosen as the design architects for the 9th International Venice Architecture Biennale and awarded the prestigious Frederick Kiesler Prize for Architecture and the Arts in recognition of exceptional contributions to the progress and merging of art and architecture. Lise Anne Couture is on the faculty of the Graduate School of Architecture, Planning and Preservation at Columbia University and has held numerous other academic appointments.

Feb 11, 09 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
e

Seattle Architecture Foundation Annual Volunteer Open House & Celebration

Thursday, February 26
5:30 pm - 8:30 pm
Rainier Square Atrium, First Level, 1333 Fifth Avenue

Each year SAF hosts an open house for all returning SAF volunteers and everyone who is interested in volunteering for the first time. It's the best opportunity to learn about all things SAF and talk directly to the dedicated individuals who make all things happen - the fabulous volunteers.

Refreshments will be served when the doors open at 5:30. About 6:15 a program will inform you about plans for this year and about the extraordinary achievements of the recipients of the 2008 Bill Strong Awards for Volunteer Excellence. Then you'll have an opportunity to visit with volunteers for all programming - Model Exhibit, Special Events, Tours and Youth Programs.

· If you've been thinking about getting involved
· If you have a desire to help shape our community's future
· If you want to help young people become lifelong stewards of their community
· If you'd like to develop and mount a major exhibit
· If you want to develop leadership and presentation skills
· If you have a great idea for an event or would like to help put on special events
· If you want to meet people that care about the same things that you value

This is a great opportunity for you!

No architecture or design knowledge or experience is necessary. Your desire to get involved and your commitment to follow through are our only requirements. Cost: FREE

Feb 11, 09 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
e

anybody try parking on the street downtown lately? price per hour went from a buck fifty to two fifty. crap.

Feb 19, 09 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

yes. nickels is amazing - 'don't raise taxes in november because of economy'

then bam, everything has gone up: parks rentals, parking, parking permits...

what a bunch of clowns.

they make something like 6 million a year just on parking machines, and another few million on parking tickets, i recently heard.

Feb 19, 09 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
e

close. $6.5 mil

"Looking for ways to meet a budget shortfall, Mayor Greg Nickels and the council hope the increase will raise $13 million in 2009 and 2010. As the city spreads paid parking to more neighborhoods to get short-time parkers in and out, pay stations and meters have grown into a big money generator for the city."

"Council President Richard Conlin said councilmembers have spent a lot of time trying to find creative ways to increase revenue and avoid cutting city services. Although the city could have raised rates higher with the approval of downtown businesses, Conlin said this rate increase is a good starting point."

neighborhood parking is going up to two an hour. guess that is their way of showing compassion.

Feb 19, 09 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
dml955i

I used to live in LQA and the meter maids were relentless (especially during Sonics games - not a problem anymore). I once got a ticket for "parking in an unmarked crosswalk"... well if it's unmarked, how do I know not to park there?!?

I don't mind the increases if it encourages using mass transit or the revenues from the increase are going towards it.

Feb 19, 09 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
e

Yeah, our office in LQA. Meter patrol is not what it used to be. Go where the money is I guess.

Feb 19, 09 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

anyone taking odds on the lise anne couture lecture on the 4th getting snowed out again?

Mar 2, 09 10:47 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

oh, and i had this passed along at work a few days ago:

Pb Elementals office/warehouse is up for sale...

@ $270.89/psf, that would make it approx. $2,000,000... wow.

i dig the signage, though i wish it was a little bigger (superdutch!) but the railings are hella cheap.

Mar 2, 09 10:55 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

upcoming lecture:

tony fretton
friday, april 10
6:30 PM @ frye art museum
tix avail @ peter miller or [url]brown paper tix[http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/60186]
$10 / $15 Door

Mar 16, 09 10:43 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box
brown paper tix
Mar 16, 09 10:44 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

upcoming lecture:

lawrence scarpa
"ordinary & extraordinary"
friday, april 3
6:30 PM @ architecture hall 147 (UW)

Mar 29, 09 7:54 pm  · 
 · 

also Friday, from 5:30-8pm, is the opening of an exhibit at the UW (aka Safeco) Tower, put on by the Museum Without Walls called Open to Question, on activism in the University District. You might think about dropping by on your way to the lecture. I'll have to be there all evening, no 'architecture sucks' t this time though.

Mar 29, 09 9:39 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

on 5/5/70, thousands of UW students gathered to protest the absurd violence of the vietnam war and killing of 4 kent students.

what's sad/scary is today's student body is so apathetic they would probably never protest anything. except maybe closing down frat row.

Mar 29, 09 10:45 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

exhibit:
My Paradise: 100 Years of Finnish Architects' Summer Homes
@ nordic heritage museum
4/17-5/31
$6/$5 student/elderly
with book

"My Paradise: 100 Years of Finnish Architects’ Summer Homes" features the summer homes of twenty renowned Finnish architects, including Lars Sonck, Eliel Saarinen, Alvar Aalto, and Juhani Pallasmaa. The exhibition consists of new photographs by Jari Jetsonen as well as historical photographs from the collections of the Museum of Finnish Architecture, the Alvar Aalto Museum, and private architects. Drawings; scale models constructed by students at the Tulane University School of Architecture and the University of Oregon; and Anssi Blomstedt’s film Alvar Aalto’s Journey to the Summer: The Muuratsalo Experimental House are important additions to the exhibition.

Apr 18, 09 1:31 pm  · 
 · 

I was at that opening last night, there's some pretty nice stuff there. The exhibit itself could be done better, but the photographs and drawings are lovely.

Apr 18, 09 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
n_

I'm moving to Seattle. Ummmm....maybe we should hang out when I get there.

Apr 19, 09 11:39 am  · 
 · 

glad to have you n. What occasions the move?

BTW, nice to meet e & holz finally last month... sorry I'm so poor at recognizing people, or at least at acting on my suspicions when I think I do.

Apr 20, 09 2:55 am  · 
 · 
n_

Graduate school is calling my name.

Apr 20, 09 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

thanks for the tip, rationalist. i'll have to check it out (when i can find time. argh!)

lecture:
richard gluckman
5/7
6:30pm
seattle central library
tix $10 advance, $15 at door

Apr 20, 09 11:14 pm  · 
 · 
e

I started a blog about the expansion of the North Recycling and Disposal Station [NRDS]. It's of particular concern to my neighbors and I as we live close to it. Seattle Public Utilities [SPU] does not want to do an Environmental Impact Statement [EIS] and they are looking to expand their facilities further into the neighborhood. To do this, current zoning must be changed or overridden.
These areas were created as buffers to the residential neighborhood. It should be of concern to all Seattle residents because while this may not directly impact you this time, it might the next time.

I'd like to ask all residents of Seattle, particularly those of Wallingford and Fremont, to write their City Council Members and voice their concern about not performing an EIS and their expansion into our residential neighbor. A link to their email addresses can be found on the left hand column of the blog. Please forward this to anyone who is a resident of Seattle and ask them to do the same.

Thank you for your time and efforts,
e

http://nrds.blogspot.com/

Apr 22, 09 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

random question for seattle-ites... could anyone give me an idea of where the most interesting neighborhoods are in seattle... if you were a young architect who liked to drink and hang out with other young people who like to drink, where would you live... and how much would you have to pay in rent to do so...

Jun 2, 09 11:48 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

if i were moving here and wanted to be near bars/restaurants, this is where i'd prefer to live...

capitol hill
georgetown
lower queen anne
fremont
ballard (but it's turning into a yuppy dump)
eastlake

i'd avoid:
madrona
anything north of 65th
anything south of boeing field
anything east of 23rd ave E
magnolia
pioneer square/downtown

and i'll probably throw in to avoid belltown because you'll live too close to work.

as far as rent, i haven't moved in 3 years and have no idea what the rental market is like.

Jun 2, 09 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

thanks holz that is helpful

Jun 2, 09 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
okram

Arcade Journal needs a hand.

Jun 2, 09 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

this thing's been dead for a bit...

lletdownl,
where'd ya end up?

e,
are you guys planning on getting out of dodge for the fourth? holy sh*t there's gonna be a lot of people...

Jun 30, 09 12:43 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

did anyone catch this 4th of july hating nonesense?

colbert report has the skinny

personally, i don't disagree. however if he was serious about this he should have maybe filed the motion at least a few months ago...

is this guy tim eyman's brother in law?

Jul 2, 09 10:30 pm  · 
 · 
e

holz, i wish i was. the insanity of it all is a bit too much for me. since we are pretty much trapped in the neighborhood, we will head up the street to a friends house for some good food, libations and conversation. you?

Jul 3, 09 1:02 am  · 
 · 

I'm with you on the gasworks suit, holz. Makes some sense, but...

Anyway, news is that unless something unexpected comes through, I'll probably be moving around the 20th of July so that I can continue the job search from a rent-free locale.

Jul 3, 09 1:52 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

pretty much the same. i'm hoping it cools down, though - mid 80s is waaaay to hot. i was really enjoying the low to mid 70s.

i wouldn't be surprised if there was some disturbance w/ 4000+ tons sitting on top of 18" of soil. frankly, i'm surprised the engineers didn't go all "chernobyl" and encase the contaminated soil in concrete, then build on top of it. i wonder if all the weight bearing down on the soil pushed contaminants out into the lake? i see kids swimming there all the time, and get really freaked out. i just want to smack those parents. but i'm probably just overreacting.

also, i'm not really sure how fireworks are supposed to bother fish, but motor boats don't? hmm...

anyway, be sure to drink lots of fluids - and not just beer, e.

i'll have to check out food, inc after our discussions on michael pollan.

Jul 3, 09 2:35 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

lecture:
javier sanchez
10/27
6:30pm
seattle central library
tix $10 advance, $15 door

also, don't forget to vote

Oct 21, 09 2:21 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

quick recap of tonight's [overpriced/tardy] AIA awards @ benaroya hall. i took lots of notes, but am too exhausted (mentally, phyically) to decipher them all - but i'll take a stab. apologies if i mixed up who said what...

beer was expensive, as was wine. seriously, folks - several people paid $25+ to get into this thing... the drinks should be free (kidding, i know how much architects like to drink) but how about not as expensive as brouwer's? purple cafe should not look like a great deal next to mediocre wine and beer @ an AIA function. we're all hurting a little, and frankly - i'm miffed zgf and mithun only picked up tabs for students - epescially cos that's what parents are for!

luckily, this year's program didn't include any awful interpretive dance. we had an improv jazz group led by jeff rucker (which had me saying haus-rucker-co over and over to myself the whole damn time...)

brief intro by anne schopf (who mispronounces her name)

opening remarks by award co-chairs shanon nichols and don miles.

and a rather friendly wooden table and chairs.

introduction of moderator:
elizabeth meyer

and then judges introduced:
teddy cruz, estudio cruz (unable to show, unfortunately - represented w/ various quotes and commentary)
mark rios, rios clementi hale
nigel dancey, foster + partners

initial thoughts on local work:
ND: work is accessible, offers incredibly rich experiences
MR: good work throughout the region, submissions provided thorough/thoughtful review of projects.
- thought the NW had the answer to regionalism, that projects were about place - and was surprised to see the NW is struggling with the same things as other architects.
- diagrams and sketches helped clarify ideas and intentions, especially 'not just submittal sketches'

ND: concept of sketching through the building process was very impressive

MR: there must be a need for a commitment/passion to one's work. the drawn/built/commisioned aspects require attentiveness - if it slips, project won't be great. 'can't let up'
TC (in absentia): was excited to find excellence in projects at every scale. enthusiasm for mixing typologies and reconceived/challenged programs.

the jury identified 5 themes to the projects:

1. infrastructure
the raising of spirits to move people from cars to train, the frivolity of a crossing and enjoying waiting for a bus

2. ecology - site
not letting words become platitudes, that the clarity of systems shines through

3. social sustainability
pushing for social equality, living where you learn, rethinking the urban network and the project as an engine for community [re]building

4. density
how to craft projects that increase density, introduce mixed-use and create pleasing places for families to live - the city as a sustainable model.

5. craft
responding to beautiful things (images, apparently), appreciating well articulated and well crafted projects.

unbuilt
citation

BIO(da)TA, zero_plus
MR: stood out as a beautiful concept, dynamic things modified by environment

built
commendation

conrad prebys music center, lmn
ND: 'dreadful in england or seattle'
TC: architect delivered more than the program, created an urban pedestrian life for the campus
MR: courtyards and breezeways between galleries and auditoria created a sense of community

novelty hill januik winery, mithun
EM: winery was sited well in relationship to the site. pleasure - not all experience is one of sacrifice
MR: power of the section to relate to the microclimate of wine
ND: multiple decisions at several scales

futurefactory amenities upgrades program, dlr group
MR: village within a shell. exercise in urban planning and neighborhood making.
ND: workplace creates a clever way of wayfinding to define zones within factory.

award of merit

topline corporate headquarters, nbbj
MR: redefined the collaborative workplace - a laboratory for shoes
ND: bringing togethor as opposed to separating was beautiful

north beach residence, heliotrope - a little too heavy on the carerra marble...
MR: simplicity, form, detailing and sustainability done extremely well.
EM: lots of discussions on this one, mostly around TC being prejudiced towards expensive houses
ND: it's really a beautiful thing, but so much more

waipolu gallery, bcj
MR: well crafted, sketches and vision of project are great. looks like a wonderful place
ND: looks effortless, just meant to be.

hinoki house, rex hohlbein
MR: a suburban lot with an amazing set of experiences. forms open to the landscape. not a 'compound' - is able to remain part of the neighborhood yet remain private.
ND: impressed by the cohesion of consultants - is very 'balanced'

safari drive, miller|hull
MR: need to have options for sustainability - offers density and quality of life. sense of place/materials/scales felt just right for the environment
ND: exemplary at all scales

award of honor
wing luke asian museum, oska
MR: project defines architecture in a holistic way. neighborhood, building and sustainability to make community better.
ND: 'new building to me'
EM: TC didn't even want to see this one at first. but in the end, renovation in a 'good way'. restoration in the u.s. is typically an all-or-nothing approach. the hands off is very enrichening.

mercer slough environmental education center, jones + jones
MR: each decision done in a way that nothing can be reduced - highly rigoroous
ND: ecosystems operating across building and landscapes, systems experienced by visitors
EM: siting tied to the educational mission, buildings in pocketed voids to preserve existing canopy and wetlands.

Grand Teton Discovery and Visitor Center, bcj
EM: move through the building - series of views of landscape. building holds its own.
MR: effortess site orientation, solar orientation - history of building in the region shines through. the sketches appear to have been done during the project - show editing in progress.
ND: timesless fit

vancouver convention centre west, lmn
ND: rigorous, the photos don't do it justice
MR: project pushed perceived notions of architecture/landscape, infrastructure
EM: green roof is like a park

closing comments:
MR: awed by showing
ND: mid -rise had lots of submissions but is a difficult scale - typically burdened with cost planning, extremely hard to break new ground even though it's very important.
EK: keep pushing the social/ecological environment. expect positive results in future and looking forward to seeing them.

in all, i thought the winners were a fairly diverse group. i was extra excited there weren't as many housing projects - though this meant the usual cluster of architects went home empty-handed (cutler, kundig, suyama, cobb). it would have been great if teddy could have made it - it seems like his prodding made for an interesting and relevant debate. i was a little disappointed that half the projects were from out of state - it seems a little odd that most of the winners weren't visited - are we rewarding great photos or great buildings?

-holz

Nov 10, 09 3:07 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

ugh, i need to spell check in the future.

and it was paul rucker, not jeff...

Nov 10, 09 3:10 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

and build blog's aia09 summary as well.

Nov 10, 09 12:29 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: