Archinect
anchor

Something Unexpected has happened

beta, I think nobody's approached that because the tone of the original post seems rather decided to me. And frankly, though I'm pro-choice, I'm not actually pro-abortion.

Jun 20, 07 7:30 pm  · 
 · 

wow beta. quite a thought. left me feeling queezy.

kids are fantastic. and you will never be ready. really you won't, not after 30 years of saving money and having a career, and not right out of highschool. but then they will be born and it will all be brilliant.

Some of my friends and family are old and childless and i can't help but think how lucky i am to have my 2 girls (would post pics, but my wife would literally kill me if i did so). a little less money admittedly, but that is ok. how much money does a person need, after all.

the first few months are the hardest sleep-wise, and then you get a few years when the kid is pretty quiet, as OF said. Once they turn 2 or 3 it gets busy again, especially if they are involved in clubs and so on. and the messy house is a daily cleaning ritual that takes place 4 times a day. We don't have any childlocks or rubber corner thingies, and my laptops sit out all day long without problems too.

but you also get to partake in the joy of teaching your child right from wrong, how to draw from life (instead of cartoons), how to read and write and think about science (and/or god if that is your thing), and all the rest...it is a kind of miracle to watch the kids growing up and becoming people. becoming good people, actually. I attribute most of that bit to my wife but whoever/whatever is the cause the joy of having kids is really better than anything in this world. It really is.

And all the things you want from life are not placed out of reach simply by their existence. It may be a bit harder, but you will adjust...

and you will also give the kid the joy of being a young mum. which is, in my experience, also a great thing.

as for idp and exams, i wouldn't sweat it. you will absolutely get it sorted. the fact that you are thinking about it already is pretty good evidence that you will.

Jun 20, 07 7:48 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

WHOA! HOLD on to your collective selves!

This is not a question about terminating a pregnancy for ARE, and you can't even come close to reading that! Sorry Straw, but every comment Sarah makes, says timing IS a factor, life, career, professionally...Plenty of women terminate pregnancies for less, yet no one seems to find it necessary to castigate those for making that choice - except right wing conservatives.

What is worse; bringing a child into the world that you are not ready for or terminating an unplanned event?

Now Sarah, adoption is also a choice, but if you, like ratio has said, have decided to move forward with a child, I imagine you will be a great parent.

Jun 20, 07 7:49 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

I am imagining beta did not mean that a pregnancy should be terminated in order to accommodate ARE. i think it's more the general tone of Sarah's posts. timing in life is important to a lot of us....but a lot of women have kids because "they are suppose to" or "why not". I am sure beta just wondered...as did I...

....I just didn't have the balls to type it.

Jun 20, 07 7:55 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

ok...I see [beta] defended himself before i hit submit.

let the abortion debate start....

now.

Jun 20, 07 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Instead, let's not have an abortion debate at all, OK?

There are endless valid reasons why someone would choose to terminate a pregnancy just as there are endless valid reasons not to, and there is no need to put Sarah in a position in this thread of defending her decision in either direction.

From her post it sounds like her decision has been made already, so let's try to keep to helpful comments regarding that chosen path.

Jun 20, 07 11:02 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Sarah, take care of yourself and do whatever you need to do. But, don't stress yourself out over it, you need to take care of yourself first. I imagine that if you made it through architecture school, you can make it through parenting and licensure as well. I mean, school got you used to sleepless nights, didn't it?

Jun 20, 07 11:19 pm  · 
 · 
"From her post it sounds like her decision has been made already, so let's try to keep to helpful comments regarding that chosen path."

Exactly why I think it wasn't brought up sooner.

Jun 21, 07 12:04 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

First let me say sorry for it taking me so long to respond. My husband has the only internet capable computer we have with him on the road; he's at a race in Ohio, so I can only play on Archinect while at work.

Now, Terminating the pregnancy was never an option because I don't personaly beleive one should. That being said, I was begging for a miscarriage in the first three days. Silly me, I even tried to run and excersise to "induce" one, but it turns out that that can actually help to prevent one.

By the fifth day of knowing, and thanks to all the gushing parental posts, I am in a weird spot. I think now I would be sad if I lost the what ever it is right now, but I still would like life to stay as it was. Contradictory I know, and I am a little confused myself, but I'm thinking most go through the same feelings. And I don't yet "feel" pregnant, so thats got me both thankful and confused.

Because of the posts by the parents, I am actaully reminded why I would want to have child. The love is apparent as you type, and I can just see your faces blushing, smiling, even giggling as you gush forth the love you have for your children. So thank you for that.

Jun 21, 07 8:35 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Sarah, you are one cool person, and your child will be fortunate to have such thoughtful and loving parents. You'll grow into it, but don't loose yourself, look at Liberty, she is one of the stellar role models for having the right sense of balance. I say that and I don't really know her, other than the convo's we have here or the few times we have emailed each other.

Jun 21, 07 8:56 am  · 
 · 

liberty is as amazing as she seems. and i get to see her today!!

Jun 21, 07 9:00 am  · 
 · 

adeline also thinks sarah's gonna be great!

Jun 21, 07 9:06 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

damn steven, cute photo! beautiful girl, big eyes...

Jun 21, 07 9:07 am  · 
 · 

that's a year and a half ago. you should see her now!

Jun 21, 07 9:08 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Wait, which kid is the new one? Ok, I've seen bathtime pics, and the birthday party, which one is she? And then the new baby, shes not that old, so that can't be her, right? They don't get that big that quickly do they?

And I like the name, very southern actually. Reminds me of a song called "Adilida" but thats not really the same name is it.

Jun 21, 07 9:16 am  · 
 · 

that's the older one, but an old picture. i just liked the expression on her face. the younger one, audrey, is only now coming up on 4 mos.

Jun 21, 07 10:07 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Well, Adeline looks a lot different now. I am amazed how little kids go from puggy baby look, to little human look. I guy I work with has a daughter, and she made the tranformation around the age of 3. I came back to work for the summer, and she was suddenly a little person and no longer baby blob.

Hope that wasn't offensive.

Jun 21, 07 10:11 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

he said he heard about a couple livin in the usa
traded in their baby for a chevrolet
lets talk about the future
now and put the past away.

Jun 21, 07 10:18 am  · 
 · 

just to clear up any confusion (and to be further self-indulgent):

recent audrey:

recent adeline:

Jun 21, 07 10:40 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Why do they have such big eyes!? They're HUGE! But at least they are cute. Oh how I don't want a smelly, slimy kid.

Audrey looks really confused and unsettled in that photo.

Jun 21, 07 10:51 am  · 
 · 
el jeffe

I can't imagine my life without our two little girls (3 and 6). Certainly there are times when I miss the spontaneity and care-free indulgence of our child-less life before, but really when I consider it, I'd much rather just be spending time with the kids just watching them grow-up.

it's a lot of work (i agree with jump's post above) but architecture school is a good prep.

we didn't baby-proof other than hidden cabinet door locks. no problems.

aside from obvious serious hazards, and not meaning to come across as callous, but don't underestimate the value of a bruised knee for learning.

is your husband at the grand-am race at mid-ohio? lucky.....

Jun 21, 07 10:58 am  · 
 · 

we've noticed that audrey is much more serious/worried than adeline but we've speculated that it's because she never knows when adeline is about to (accidentally) whack, sit on, kick, or smother her. adeline's kisses have a way of covering audrey's entire mouth and nose.

Jun 21, 07 10:59 am  · 
 · 
el jeffe

why do they have such big eyes?

how else would they get people to wait on their every need with a smile if they weren't so damn cute?

Jun 21, 07 11:02 am  · 
 · 
el jeffe

btw - very cute sw...

Jun 21, 07 11:03 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

El jeffe, He IS at the grand-am race. How'd you know? Grnad-Am isn't that big. They race in the ST Koni Challenge class. He is the head car chief. Can you tell how proud of him I am? I wish I could go, but hey, some ones got to bring home the bacon.

Jun 21, 07 11:09 am  · 
 · 

there is something to the idea that kids' cuteness is an evolved survival characteristic...

Jun 21, 07 11:14 am  · 
 · 
KEG

ok Steven, your children are perfection. you can tell they're real thinkers- i'm sure a reflection of such engaging parents.

Sarah, sorry for the tangent earlier in the thread. I think most women are terrified and unsure at the thought of actually being a parent- it's just that most of them aren't brave enough to own up to it. I admire your honestly and think your future "blob" is lucky to have you.

btw, is it true that a baby is born with full-sized eyes? meaning, they eyes you have as a kid are actually meant to fit your adult head? That would explain why children’s eyes are disproportionately large.

Jun 21, 07 11:16 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Thats what I learned in Jerry Maguire. And the human head weighs 10 lbs.

Jun 21, 07 11:26 am  · 
 · 
KEG

jerry maguire....where all good parenting info comes from.

Jun 21, 07 11:28 am  · 
 · 
el jeffe

wow - very cool sarah - i'm jealous of him (i think)...actually i'd rather be in the driver's seat but you know - racing is life.

i was thinking of driving to the ALMS race at mid-ohio this summer - kind of a drive from ABQ though.

one other thought - my wife is an architect also, but she pretty much has placed her career on hold (for 6 years now) to stay at home with the girls. we're both really thankful that we can (barely) make it work financially, but that is really the primary reason we left LA.
anyhow, I know my wife wouldn't hesitate to make the same decision again.
to be honest though, she's at the point now where she's itching to get back to some professional work so we're beginning to work on projects together.

WTD - could be but i know they're born with a head that is roughly 2/3 of their adult head size - OUCH.

i'm resisting the urge to post pics of my urchins...

Jun 21, 07 11:33 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

2/3!!!1 Thats a 6.6 lb head!!! Thats not a nice thing to tell me right now, way to freak me out. I'm still trying to put off reality at the moment.

Oh, and if your kids are cute like Steven's and Fogey's, then post away. Just stear clear of posting dirty kids, its that reality thing again, the cute cuddley ones have me looking a bit forward to it. The slimy ones have me running.

Jun 21, 07 11:49 am  · 
 · 
quizzical

Sarah - as a rule, kids are not naturally cute and clean - neither are they naturally mis-behaved and dirty - those attributes generally are a reflection of the parenting they receive.

New babies don't come with instruction manuals - learning to be a good parent takes a lot of time and energy, so I'd really encourage you to finish the ARE before the birth. It will be difficult, but not nearly so difficult as it will be later.

You might start asking around for good books on parenting. Our daughters are grown now, so this one probably is out of print, but you might find a used copy thru Amazon: Baby Taming, by Peter Mayle - great practical advice on incorporating the little rascal into your family life without him/her becoming the dominant force.

Congratulations and good luck - parenthood is a great institution - you'll do just fine.

Jun 22, 07 12:50 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Don't even think to attempt pregnancy without this book: The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy, and then the next one, Girlfriend's Guide to the First Year of Motherhood.

Trust me, you will find that the dirtiness gets much easier to handle when it's your own child. I never thought it would, but it did. And the author of the book abbove is honest in saying she - and all her friends - worried about becoming mothers because they really don't like kids....other people's kids, it turns out, as every one of them fell immediately head over heels in love with their own offspring, as you will too.

Jun 22, 07 1:12 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

And, they will even make archi-touring more fun

because they will mimic the architectural forms with their bodies/clothing:

Jun 22, 07 1:16 am  · 
 · 
black francis

People worry and talk a lot about "can I fit children into my career". The answer is of course you can, in fact they will so greatly overtake your career in importance and put just about everything else into perspective (this is not a bad thing, it is amazing). I am one of those "crazy" people who had a child at the ripe age of 24. With that child I received my undergrad degree, traveled through Europe. Worked for two years as a graphic designer and am now starting a MArch. degree. Children do not have to hijack your life, they can just come along for the ride. One more thing, children are so much more durable and resistant to the world than baby books make them out to be.

Jun 22, 07 1:59 am  · 
 · 
biggz

take all the exams in 2 months. use prf. dorf materials for the graphics, als/kaplan, flashcards, etc. read MEEB, ... then if/when you fail one , you have 6 months as a required waiting period to retake an exam to really study for it.

Jun 22, 07 2:16 am  · 
 · 
archie

Sarah, It is not uncommon to be feeling like you are. But as a mom who just became an empty nester, I can honestly say the years when my kids were little were the best, most rewarding years of my life. I wish I had had a couple more, and I can't wait for grandchildren. I never once regretted having kids even for an instant, and never felt that they limited me in any way- they only enhanced everything that I did. You will never in your life be as proud of anything you do as you will be of your children, and what they accomplish. I still get a rush thinking about the moment my oldest "got it" and suddenly learned to read. The look on his face when he realized the world of books was suddently open to him is one I will never forget. ( I just watched him graduate from college by the way, and he is getting his doctorate- he continued to love all that book learning!!.

Concerning taking the test in 9 months: you can take it in a week! In "the old days" the test was given once a year, and took almost a complete week, from Monday thru Thursday, with tests every morning and afternoon. The design part of the test started at 8 AM, and ended at 8 PM. during those 8 hours, you had programmed, designed and drawn a complete building. You brought your food to eat at your drawing board, and barely got up to pee. If you failed any part of the test, you had to wait an entire year to take it over again. So yeah, lots of people back then took the whole test in 1 week, and passed! Incuding me when I was pregnant! I have a friend who took it DURING her due date, as in she could have given birth at any moment, but conveniently her baby waited until the following week. So when us oldsters hear you kids dragging out the test for years, we are kind of amused. Remember, you are supposed to actually KNOW this stuff, so studying just to pass the test is kind of wrong if you know what I mean.

Old Fogey is right, newborns don't take up that much time, so even if you take some of the test after the baby is born, you will have time. I took off work for three months, and was so bored I larned to knit, made bread every day, tiled the kitchen floor, and built a model of the Duomo.

And a final word about "childproofing": there is no such thing! Don't lull yourself into believing that you have 'childproofed' your home and you don't need to watch or teach your child what is acceptable. You might as well just leave everything as you have it, and raise your child to learn limits of what they can't touch. You will have to watch them though, but hey, that is all of the fun! I was at a new clients house yesterday, and the young couple was complaining they had no room in their big house with two little boys. Of course, every room was covered completely with an explosion of red, blue and yellow plastic toys of every variety. And of course, all the boys wanted to do was punch each other and play with the tupperware. You don't need to turn into one of those! The parents would have been better off to give each kid half a dozen toys at any one time, and actually played with them rather than spending their time picking up the toys that the kids just threw at each other instead.

Jun 23, 07 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

damn, some pearls of wisdom on this thread!

congrats, Sarah--I have a feeling it will all turn out much much better than you're afraid it will. My mom was scared to death when she had her first child--she knew nothing about kids, did not enjoy them, in fact found them relatively revolting. She continued to feel this way throughout pregnancy and was scared to death. Even after my sister was born she, while not actually finding the baby revolting, didn't quite warm up to her for a few weeks until... one day her best girlfriend came by to see the baby, and my mom took her friend into the baby's room to see her while she slept. My mom's friend said, "wow, look at that, a whole new person!" And my mom says she was suddenly, literally, blindsided by the concept that this shrivelled little thing was going to be an actual human person one day, that she could talk to and read to and listen to and build things with, and suddenly BAM she figured out how amazing life was gonna be.

She knew NOTHING about kids when she had us and was such an incredibly amazing mother (IS such an incredible mother) that I literally still have people tell me they are jealous of me for having such a mom. I think she'd be surprised to hear that, though, she still doesn't like children really and says she doesn't understand them.

So don't worry, you don't have to be one of those motherly types to be a fantastic mother--and get a kick out of it, too!

Jun 23, 07 3:37 pm  · 
 · 

wow more archinect kids to the fold.

Steven Adeline has the most instense gaze i've seen in well anyone. I sure hope she doesn't become a judge, there be criminals crying in the courtroom before the verdict.

Sarah with this out poor of sympathy, advise, and well well wishes I'm sure everything will turn out for the better. Rather than adding to it, albeit I'm doing that in spirit, I will instead suggest you get to studying. You got some exams to pass.

Jun 23, 07 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

i can't recommend the happiest baby on the block enough. the author (dr. harvey karp) was our pediatrician while we lived in LA.
the info in this book is incredibly enlightening and will give you some great tools with a newborn. he has years of practice and an incredibly enlightened perspective that was truly refreshing when compared to the trite BS that most books we encountered offer.

my two kids btw...

Jun 23, 07 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

cute they have sandias on their jumpers!

Jun 23, 07 6:57 pm  · 
 · 

what's a sandia? Mom vado is making up words again
they look like watermelons and bananas to me.

jeffe...lovely pics/kids

Jun 23, 07 9:50 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I think its so cool that Architects' photos of their kids are actually good photos, and not just crummy snapshots.

And I want to thank everyone, again, for the help and advice. I am finally on board with this thing, although I may shoot my mother-in-law before too long, and she doesn't even know we're expecting. Can a hormonal woman claim an insanity plea?

Anyway, since my issues have been quieted, I now leave this thread open to any and all gushing parents would like to do about their children.

And, again, thank you.

-Sarah

Jun 25, 07 8:38 am  · 
 · 
PerCorell

I will not post pictures of my two children , oposed what you would think they both made it very well, my youngest who are diagonised with an autistic syndrom acturly just made it with top grade in english writing and language, his exame writing even had to be evaluated in the education ministery before they realised how advanced a knowleage of english being just his second best after russian that he studied by just personal interest. My older son doing just great within house automatics.

Why do I even write this --- am I not the Per Corell being stripped his name and his credits given to more Fine fellows well, atleast you now know that this paranting thing can be done even you are a poor artist who is not fine enough to recive any silli credits.

Jun 25, 07 9:09 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: