Archinect
anchor

"We've been looking at some floor plans..."

Ms Beary

So my brother's company hired a builder to design thier new office (tenant space). They sent me the plans and I marked them up with some suggestions (design and code-wise). I told them they were going to need an architect's stamp and I could help them find an architect licensed in that state. This was last spring.

I asked him the other day how it was going. Apparently they still don't feel like hiring an architect, and are trying to fight the city on it. WTF?

Oct 29, 07 11:22 am  · 
 · 
Pseudonym

Can I get some advice from architects that have done projects in small town USA?

Do you consider the ease of construction for projects done in Small Town USA - especially with a small-ish budget? I'm working/living in the city working in a large firm, but with the site being out in a small town for my project for my parents, I feel like there is less experience with anything different from very standard construction for some of these contractors. I'm not doing anything crazy, but its not exactly 100% standard stuff either. Am I being too practical or am I on the right path?

Nov 8, 07 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
Pseudonym

Sorry, only 2nd time posting on this site after a year of lurking. Its probably bad etiquette to ask for advice already.

Nov 8, 07 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

The only advice I can give is, it is something to consider, but shouldn't take over the entire project.

Nov 8, 07 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Actually you might be surprised about what those small town contractors can do.....Norman, Oklahoma.....Brue Goff Bavinger House.

Nov 8, 07 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

Thats a cool building snooker. I had to look it up. Although, its mentioned that it was built over a period of 4 years by the owner. That is more likely a labor of love. I see what you're getting at though.

Nov 8, 07 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

i think small town contractors can be some of the most knowledgable, intelligent people that ever lived.

Nov 8, 07 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
farwest1

I think that Bruce Goff house is what all of our parents are terrified we'll design for them....

Nov 8, 07 11:48 pm  · 
 · 

small town contractors may also just be a guy with a pickup and a hose that decided to build stuff. you take your chances.

Nov 9, 07 6:25 am  · 
 · 
chicago, ill

Even in small towns there is still a building code, even if a national code has been adopted, and a building permit required and building inspector will come out to review work. Are you confusing "code compliance" with "architectural stamp"?

By the way, here in Chicago most residential work is constructed by same type of "pick-up truck"-type contractors. We see a largely undocumented eastern European and Hispanic immigrant construction workforce for most small-scale construction projects. Labor may be paid minimum wage, maybe less. Even larger unionized contractors are now complaining of being consistently underbid for state and municipal work by contractors using nonunion "independent contractor" cash-paid labor. (Only the downtown construction projects are still union strongholds.)

Nov 9, 07 11:17 am  · 
 · 
myriam

Small town contractors can be great, and they can also be fly-by-night shoddy workman--just like in the big city. Same rules apply : make sure you have a tight set of CDs, tight specs for anything you're worried about, and a tight construction contract, and then be on top of the shop drawings and the construction process and babysit as much as necessary to make sure it goes according to drawings and specs. Ain't no different than that.

Nov 9, 07 11:32 am  · 
 · 
Pseudonym

Thanks for all the replies. I'm not implying small town contractors have shoddy workmanship or less intelligence, but possibly less experience in non-standard construction - anything straying from standard stick framing with windows and doors. I have met a couple of the prospective contractors, and they do seem like great guys, but at the same time they seem to be set on standard stuff (i.e. there is only one way to do a wall, foundation, etc.)

Nov 9, 07 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

In this case, think about which of the contractors you seem to have the most comfortable rapport with - and ask them if they are willing to try something new, with you as close ally in the process!

Nov 9, 07 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
med.

It sounds like they never really learned. I understand my parents are exactly the same if not worse.

They still refer to me as an engineer... Ugh!

Nov 9, 07 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
chicago, ill

Friend of mine did a house in rural Michigan and was astounded by how competent, helpful, cooperative, and friendly the GC and the subs all were. As she says, she kept vigilant and suspicious for the first part of the project before she realized all these seemingly fantasy characteristics were truely present. Project turned out great, on budget, photographable, happy client, etc.

Another friend did a house in Wisconsin, used local lumberyard to find various subs, and did project w/o formal contracts. He's very happy with result, which was around $100/SF for construction costs.

Small town, big town, city, I think location itself is not a determining factor.

Nov 9, 07 1:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: