Archinect
anchor

Overboard on the gung-ho ship, AKA architecture/design tattoos.

JohnProlly

Pixel, remember the picture I took of your back last weekend?

I think it's coming along well. I like your idea of putting cloud city in the background as well...

Post more pics when it's done.

Jul 20, 06 3:27 pm  · 
 · 

cloud city is going to rock, with Lando looking all sophisticated and whatnot, can't wait!

Jul 20, 06 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
mm

Pixel, I can't wait until you finish the jar jar binks on your chest. That'll be so hot.

Jul 20, 06 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

I've already sketched an AT-AT that runs up and down his legs. Imagine where the gunner sits!

Jul 20, 06 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

sofya, I'm just proud that I knew yours was a russian constructivist. Only recently did I even learn about them. But that got me thinking that that one Italian futurist dude's stuff would make an awesome tattoo... I'll have to find a pic of the building I'm thinking of.

Anyhow, the only thing about getting addicted to ink is that those iconic tats y'all have probably look so much stronger just on their own!

Jul 20, 06 4:53 pm  · 
 · 

mm: Chewie is going on my chest, for all the obvious reasons

Jul 20, 06 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

I thought you were getting you "wee wee" inked out to look like a Wookie?

He'd do a lot of excursions into dark caves with Hans Solo.

Jul 20, 06 6:33 pm  · 
 · 

nah dude, obviously thats where the lightsaber is going...

Jul 20, 06 8:54 pm  · 
 · 
upside

thisa one, mesa thinks

Jul 20, 06 9:16 pm  · 
 · 

antonia sant'elia.

Jul 21, 06 10:05 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

^^ antonio sant'elia? and according to wikipedia he died in the war
in 1916..but that's pretty good if it's off the top of your head.

Jul 21, 06 10:15 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

damn...mr ward beat me to it.

Jul 21, 06 10:15 am  · 
 · 
myriam

That is precisely the man I was thinking of. A friend showed him to me recently and I was hooked.

Jul 21, 06 11:34 am  · 
 · 
Christopher Daniel

Got fresh ink today. Big outline of a 5-pointed star on my upper right arm (it goes around an existing tat that got also got a re-inking). I love the work but am hating having my arm wrapped in plastic and tape in the middle of a heatwave. Bring on tomorrow morning and getting to take it off. Oh, dammit, then there'll be the itching...

(I just accidentally posted this on a different thread. It is completely out of context and I'm cowering with digital embarrassment right now!)

Jul 26, 06 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Chris, don't sweat it! Can't wait to see it!

Jul 26, 06 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

i've always loved erich mendelsohn's drawings. i love the smooth two-toned graphic look. (and they make great t-shirt prints in a pinch)

Jul 26, 06 7:13 pm  · 
 · 

dork alert! dork alert!

I apologize for the pic, as I found out its kinda hard to take a picture of the back of your own leg...

Jul 26, 06 8:51 pm  · 
 · 

nice shorts...didn't know you were a pixel whore in real life, too

Jul 26, 06 9:11 pm  · 
 · 

Its so the robots can't see me...

Jul 27, 06 8:13 am  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

No dummy, it's so the Pixel pushers can't see what hit them.

Jul 27, 06 11:54 am  · 
 · 
rondo mogilskie

How about some architectural Underoos-type underwear? The Loos or Gropius Tribune schemes on your skivvies. It might work

Jul 27, 06 10:33 pm  · 
 · 

sofya,
being obviously the biggest Tschernikow fan in the world, you must be the main suspect in this theft
is this the first time architecture has been stolen?

Aug 13, 06 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
wellywellywell

This situation obviously means I'm going to have to tattoo the rest of my body in Chernikov's works...I mean, they must be preserved! Then I'll become highly valuable! And perhaps, auctionable at Christie's!

Aug 13, 06 8:58 pm  · 
 · 

this is not a time for humor. architecture has been stolen. my money's on sofya or the grinch. dibs on motion picture rights!

Aug 13, 06 10:33 pm  · 
 · 

not a week old:

obviously kinda distorted by the perspective/fact it wraps around my shin a bit

original image was a 1573 stacking of arms of a grave digger that a received from an arch. history professor I work with, an early piece of 'subversive' art as that stacking was typically reserved for heros and royalty. ask the tattoo artist to make some changes as he saw fit, all he did was redraw the skull, change the shape of the fruit leaves and clear up the hourglass a bit.

Sep 26, 06 10:54 am  · 
 · 

typos galore! my apologies as I'm still waking up.

Sep 26, 06 10:55 am  · 
 · 
wellywellywell

hey congrats! ohhhhh the feeling of new ink! Isn't it amazing?

Sep 26, 06 11:18 am  · 
 · 

I could do without the smell of A&D ointment though...

Sep 26, 06 11:36 am  · 
 · 

beautious, Pixel. I'm in the process of drawing up some poppies to be added to my back, but probably won't get them done for at least six months.

Sep 26, 06 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Nice, pixel.

Mr. Prolly, thanks for the afternoon laugh.

Sep 26, 06 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

i like russian rationalism

Mar 15, 07 7:31 pm  · 
 · 
geimanj

kristen_kai- I have some archigram books. I'll take a look and get back to you.

Mar 16, 07 4:41 am  · 
 · 
kdollaghan

in my first year "modern architecture and its cities" class we looked up to a senior who has been in the same course when he was our age. we called him "heidegger tattoo," because when he was in the class he got drunk and got lines from "building, dwelling, thinking" tattooed all over his body.

Apr 1, 07 11:46 pm  · 
 · 

russian prison tattoo:

Apr 1, 07 11:49 pm  · 
 · 

kdoll as you do...sometimes theory moves you to action

contact oldfogey on that one..

Apr 2, 07 12:09 am  · 
 · 
kdollaghan

oh i understood. i still do. i jumped right on the bandwagon and got a big fake "the city is a theatre" with a hand giving the finger on my inner wrist!

Apr 2, 07 12:17 am  · 
 · 
mfrech

pixel, i had been thinking about the modular man as well, within his rectangle...or maybe one of the cruciform buildings from the plan voisin...but the modular seems a little more universal and definitely more badass. i've got a fleur-de-lys on my shoulder, i guess it could use a little company. once you have one tattoo you immediately want another...they are friggin contagious.

Apr 3, 07 11:16 pm  · 
 · 

mfrench: if you need to know where to go in Boston I can make a recommendation.

Apr 4, 07 12:51 am  · 
 · 
wellywellywell

mfrech -

likewise

Apr 4, 07 10:22 am  · 
 · 
mfrech

thanks to you both for the offer: any parlors to recommend would be much appreciated. i got my tat out in the suburbs, and while the place did a fine job (it's a simple outline), it seemed the guy would have much rather inked me a bikini-clad viking lady riding a dragon or something.

fire away!

Apr 4, 07 10:45 am  · 
 · 
mfrech

and by the way, wellywellywell, is that your tattoo on the very first post?

Apr 4, 07 10:46 am  · 
 · 

I'm all for Pino Bros. in Inman Square, Cambridge.

Going to guess that wellywellywell is going to recommend Redemption on Mass Ave. in Cambridge.

We'll both agree I'm sure to avoid Chameleon's in the Garage @ Harvard Square like the plague.

Apr 4, 07 10:50 am  · 
 · 
mfrech

thanks much, and i'll be sure to stay away from Chameleon's...

Apr 4, 07 10:51 am  · 
 · 
wellywellywell

mfrech -

yes, that's mine!

And pixelwhore, that rambunctious bearded gentleman, is correct: I would recommend Erick at Redemption, as he did an incredible job in just about 2 hours.

Also, I have to say, I got my first tattoo (matching best friend tattoooooos.....) at Chameleon. It's a dagger on my collar bone. I guess it was an okay experience. The ink kind of fell out the first time and I had to get it touched up....LAME! It's fine if you're looking for a funny flash-piece. Nothing too intricate. But I am sure there are talented artists there as well, we probably just don't know about them!

Apr 4, 07 11:31 am  · 
 · 

wellywellywell: nice seeing you the other night, perhaps we'll cross paths again some other Thursday!

Apr 4, 07 11:41 am  · 
 · 
stephanie

hi friends! i just got my first ink!

Jul 23, 07 11:15 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

whoa! hot ink stephanie!

that a design of your own ee-maginay-shun?

Jul 23, 07 11:27 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

thank you!
it is a simplified oskar schlemmer drawing/diagram...there is a lot more deutsch that wouldn't have translated well, but i'm happy to get the major words...

Jul 23, 07 11:32 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

i going to get a tattoo of Stephanie's back on my back

Jul 24, 07 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

stephanie! Well done! How long did that take? Which part hurt the worst?

Jul 24, 07 12:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: