Archinect
anchor

bicycles

Appleseed

White Lightning ftw.

Jul 6, 07 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

rational, are you sure the squeak is coming from the chain? Sometimes the bottom bracket (the bearing house of the crank spindle) can squeak as a result of not enough lube on the threads contacting the frame.

How you can tell is if the squeak is the same rhythm as you pedal strokes.

Jul 6, 07 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Anyone remember Midnight Oil? That was some good chain lube (for damp PA conditions), but as the name suggested, it was black as night, and stained everything.

Jul 6, 07 4:59 pm  · 
 · 

Thx. Sconie. I picked some up from my local bike shop last night. I talked to the guy there, who after a bunch of questions suggested that lubing around once a month would probably prevent future squeaks. I guess once I move to Seattle I'll head to a bike shop there to see if they recommend a different sort.

Also picked up an 8-LED headlight. Now the cars have NO EXCUSE for not seeing me if I ride at night (already have blinky taillight)

Jul 6, 07 5:01 pm  · 
 · 

bike tip of the week:

= BAD!!!!!!

Jul 6, 07 5:19 pm  · 
 · 

Anyone in LA need/want a super-comfy padded seat similar to above? Great for light cruising.... terrible for commuting.

Bike glides better than ever now- it's all greased up, has a lighter tighter seat, and I hooked up a little computer I got that basically acts as a speedometer. I didn't know I could go 20 mph!

Jul 9, 07 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

fyi - any one in the bay area, next weekend is New Belgium Brewery's Tour de Fat at Golden Gate Park's Speedway Meadows.

It's a benefit for the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition, and looks to be a great time.

check it HERE!

cross-posted in GTC also.

Jul 9, 07 3:37 pm  · 
 · 

ok, bike tire question: I'm currently riding on some exceptionally fatty, knobbly 700x40c's, and am considering downsizing to something a bit slimmer and quicker when I get my fenders put on. How far down is it advisable to go? I don't want the super-skinny 20c tires, but what's a good in between point for someone who wants to pick up the pace a little bit but not blow out a tire every week on the crap that litters the city streets?

Jul 13, 07 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
spaceghost

i have 700x38c semi-slick tires and they work great in the streets of los angeles. absorbs the bumps and cracks a little and fat enough to run over curb-cuts without worrying. my girlfriend's road bike has 700x25c slick road tires which i have ridden over many of the same roads. you have to be a little more careful around the cracks and going over the bumps but the only thing that took the air out of the tires was a tack in road i didn't see. either way you go i would recommend carrying an extra inner-tube in your day-pack.

Jul 13, 07 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
rza

Brand new 1987 Bianchi Strada! Dark blue, mint condition.

Jul 13, 07 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

use 5ply tubes that solved my prob with flats when you got a bike that goes 40mph and has 120 psi and lots of people would want to steal you don't want to be pushing or hitchhiking i learned the hard way... i had to trow my bike out the back of a moving truck and jump on it and fight the guy after he tried to take off on me and i barley was able to jump into the bed and hold on as he tried to shake me out.

use 5 ply ;)

Jul 13, 07 5:39 pm  · 
 · 

5ply tubes + which sized tire?? Would a 30 or 32c be a decently comfortable ride while allowing me to get up to a better speed?

I looked at the specs for my bike and I've supposedly got Kenda Cross w/Kshield 700x40c tires on it, but when I look at pics of Kenda Cross 700x40c tires online, they're like half the size of my tires. Now I'm wondering if the bike shop had switched them out for some sort of super-fat cruiser tire or something. These things are HUGE.

Jul 13, 07 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

20x 1.75

Jul 13, 07 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

the higher the pressure the higher the speed
plus you saw the picture of my bike in a previous post of mine right?

it's a beast and i just got a new 61 tooth cog.... 50?

Jul 13, 07 6:16 pm  · 
 · 

ahhh, a whole different animal.

Jul 13, 07 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

Just picked up one of these....well not picked it up yet (but paid for it)

Off Ebay

Jul 16, 07 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

Trying this again...hope it works

Jul 16, 07 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

damn it's too big.....

Maybe now? It's the royal blue/almost black in color....

Jul 16, 07 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

OH and Rationalist.....

One last tip about Lube.....if you are Eco-conscious, which I think you might be, using cooking oil/spray might be the way to go as it's not dangerous to the environs (so I've heard).

Just one more thought.

Jul 16, 07 12:11 pm  · 
 · 

hmmm, already bought a bottle. I'll try to find an eco-concious option when I've used up this one.

Was this what you were going for?

Jul 16, 07 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
postal

rationalist,

i've been riding on 700x28c's. This is stock on the Jamis Coda series. I find this is a good compromise though I've never really ridden a roadie regularly before. Maybe you should go to the shop and find bikes to ride that has different sizes. I've been riding 20 miles a day, 3-5 times a week for over a month now. Haven't had a problem yet and I can keep up with anyone. The only reason i lose ground is fighting the wind, because i don't have drops. (I try and draft on riders on lakeshore when i can, though i think it pisses people off)

Jul 16, 07 2:45 pm  · 
 · 

thankee, postal! I've never ridden a roadie at all, I'm on a hybrid. Next bike will probably be a roadie.

I've set a goal- I want to do the [url=http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/323762_stp14.html] in 2009 if I'm still in Seattle at the time. I figure I can work up slowly, hopefully being able to do half-century rides comfortably by next summer, and build up to centuries by the following year.

Jul 16, 07 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

You can do it rationalist.....you can doooooo it!

Jul 16, 07 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

Nerd shot

and I sold the IRO and got thissssss

Jul 18, 07 7:06 pm  · 
 · 

niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice, Prolly! You're making me jealous.

Thankee, squirrel-miester. It's a good excuse to get a road bike at some point, too.

Jul 18, 07 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
Appleseed

1980's BMX top pads making a comeback- lulhz

Jul 18, 07 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

yeah, it's meant for the top tube of a track bike. Its to protect the tt from dents, scratches and ulock rub.

Jul 18, 07 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
dekrpto

biking is great, but in the city i prefer to sk8

Jul 18, 07 8:08 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

rationalist, got a deal on that marinoni - campy hs, bb, seat post and shipped for the cost of me selling my IRO complete.

Stoked on it.

Pixel, how's that build coming?

Jul 18, 07 8:09 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

dekrpto - yeah, I used to skate religiously. Now that I need my wrists and ankles more than ever, I've put it on hold.

I get my "trick fix" goofing off with friends learning new bike tricks. It's like we're all 15 again riding wheelies, barspins, bunnyhops, skids, ect....

All the shit people in Boston hate...

hehe.

Pixel, by the way, you know Dan Bones? He's from your area and just moved here. Super cool dude. Rides an IRO.

Jul 18, 07 8:14 pm  · 
 · 

If once I get to Seattle and get settled in and all that, I find that I've got a couple hundred to spare, I'm thinking of going for something like this, and making it my daily driver. That way I'd get a serious speed upgrade, and I'd have a second bike around for when people came to visit me, since I won't have a car to drive them around in. Or I could sell the hybrid (already, I know) to get most to all of the money to get something like that.

I'm feeling more and more like the hybrid was a bit of a misguided step on my part. They sound great, it made total sense considering I hadn't ridden in so long and was never great to begin with, but now that I'm a complete addict I crave more speed and less weight.

Jul 18, 07 8:15 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

that Miyata is gorgeous man.

Jul 18, 07 8:16 pm  · 
 · 

too bad its hotness pretty much guarantees that it'll be gone by the time I'm really ready to think about buying.

Jul 18, 07 8:25 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

JohnProlly I love how your bike kinda matches your Ikea bedspread......good taste, btw. Of course, I have the same bedspread.

Jul 18, 07 8:52 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

if you commute or travel via skateboard and are into longboards, check out loaded boards

friend of mine owns the company and their boards ride unreal. all precambered bamboo decks using a vert lam to give it a totally different ride. i'm doing a few lasercut/etched veneers for him to laminate onto the boards.

but bikewise i've got a hookup to get an '06 ironhorse excelsior race... can get one for $1k brand new... good deal? i figure the ultegra's worth nearly a grand by itself + decent FSA stuff... anyone think this is a dud?

specs:
Frame: Aluminum Semi-Compact Butted Alloy Road Frame w/ Carbon Fiber Seatstays; 1-1/8” Integrated head tube
Fork: Columbus Tusk Carbon w/ Alloy Steerer
Handlebar: FSA RD200 31.8mm clamp
Stem: FSA 150LX 31.8mm clamp
Headset: FSA IS-2 1-1/8" Integrated
Bottom Bracket: FSA Mega EXO
Crankset: FSA Gossamer Mega EXO; 53/39T alloy rings
Chain: KMC DX10
Saddle: Selle Italia C2 Trans Am; Manganese Steel rails
Seatpost: FSA SL80
Hubs: Ritchey DS Comp
Front Derailleur: Shimano Ultegra
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Ultegra
Shifters: Shimano Ultegra STI
Cassette: Shimano Ultegra; 11-23T; 10 speed
Brakes: Shimano Ultegra
Brake Levers: Shimano Ultegra STI
Rims: Ritchey DS Comp
Spokes: Ritchey DS Comp
Tires: Vittoria Zaffiro Pro 700x23, 60 tpi, Folding bead

Jul 18, 07 8:58 pm  · 
 · 
Appleseed

heh, I know what it's for John; it's still a fucking trend. Steel/cromoly fixie frames and you're worried about dents and rash? haha

Jul 19, 07 1:06 am  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

Appleseed, in NYC, when you lock your shit up at least 6 times in a day and you have to worry about people stealing everything off your bike, it tends to get banged up. So if you have a point, please make it rather than bantering off a bunch of useless garbage.

I've been riding bikes for 10 years man. When I was in NC, I was competing in Mountain biking and rode over 100 miles a week. When I moved to NYC, I sold my road and MTBs and bought an old Puegeot, converted it and have been riding Fixed for 3 years.

Trend? Fucking poseur. You don't know me clown!

Jul 19, 07 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

WonderK - it's kinda funny the amount of black and white shit my girlfriend and I have accumulated over the time we've been living together.

When we saw the sheets, we kinda geeked out.

Jul 19, 07 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
Appleseed

John, I've been riding all my life, rode junior devo, competed back in hs/college. My point is the one YOU made, 'it tends to get banged up'; having a little foam pad on the tt = nonsensical.

But hey, if it looks cool to you; more power!

Fucking poseur is right!

Jul 19, 07 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

For JohnProlly:
NYC in B&W

For Appleseed:
Devo

Jul 19, 07 1:57 pm  · 
 · 

Well, I could care less either way. It's a gorgeous looking bike.

The one my boyfriend bought (which sits on our balcony, forlorn because it doesn't get ridden enough, and I've even contemplated taking it out just because it looks so sad out there) came with a pad. It didn't go all the way around like that, it was just on the top half of the top tube. Do all BMX's come like that? And before you call him a "fucking poseur" too, he actually likes to do those silly things on his bike like make it hop and spin things around and such. That's one of those things I don't really get, obviously.

Jul 19, 07 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
cf

That's nothing...

Jul 19, 07 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
1deviantC

I'm in the process of building this up as a commuter/mtn XC

Jul 20, 07 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

going back to the illegal cycling activities...

santa monica is terrible. a friend of mine was riding and got pulled over for an "illegal lane change". ridiculous.

Jul 20, 07 1:47 pm  · 
 · 

well, did he signal?

Maybe I'm a bit of a hardass, but why should we expect breaks from the laws? We'd be mad if a car made an illegal lane change, so I understand if motorists are mad when we do so. There's one guy that rides near my office who never, ever stops at stop signs. Doesn't even slow down to look for cross traffic. I'm just waiting for some car to plow into him (there's a lot of two-way stops here), and it'll be completely his fault when it happens.

Jul 20, 07 1:58 pm  · 
 · 

another futurist bike

seems bicycles are all the rage lately

Jul 21, 07 12:09 pm  · 
 · 

I just bought myself this bike:

http://www.manhattancruisers.com/07_green_m.htm

pretty psyched

Jul 23, 07 8:06 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Yay Quilian! Awesome, very nice.

I forgot to introduce Darcy to her kin on this thread.

This picture was taken before I put the bike rack on the back. I am already wishing she was faster!

Jul 23, 07 8:39 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

Appleseed, come keep up with me in NYC for a week on my 100 mile training schedule and then we'll talk. I havent ridden the train in over 6 months and was riding in the snow and shit all winter.

Everyone I meet from LA that rides in NYC thinks they're hot shit till they actually ride in NYC.

Appleseed's one of those cats who rags on people on the internet because he got his ass wailed on all through highschool. Get back to your mal scripting and shitty riding conditions.

MARK

Jul 23, 07 9:20 pm  · 
 · 
Appleseed

Not sure where you get off- I didn't make any personal comments, I just stated my previous biking experience because you seemed to think I had none.

Where did I claim I was 'hot shit?' I don't know what mal scripting is, and contrary to your belief, I don't suffer from 'shitting riding conditions'.

I just pointed out that using a lame BMX pad on the tt to prevent scratches in the hArDcOrE nYc UrBAn EnVIroNmEnT is a non-functional TREND.

But please, keep thinking you know something about me.

STEVEN

Jul 23, 07 10:28 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: