huh?

Jun 4, 07 9:49 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

i guess your not male . pherimones are all the rage

Jun 5, 07 1:50 am  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

Anyone that thinks you can't roll with 23's in NYC, I rode 20's for a year with no problem. I'm on 23 continentals on the KHSM now and 23 Maxxis fuse on the IRO

Jun 8, 07 1:41 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

$500 - $600 bonus and i want a new bike any thoughts?

Jun 8, 07 8:26 am  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

Depends on what kinda bike... If you want a track bike you have the following options:

-Surly Steamroller
-IRO Mark v
-IRO Angus
-Bianchi Pista
-SE
-Fuji

Jun 8, 07 10:06 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

john, thanks, i guess i am looking for something urban that i can trail sometimes....?

Jun 8, 07 10:30 am  · 
 · 
postal

oh shit, co-worker just got a door to the neck this morning! man, i hope that never happens to me... his neck is all effed up

Jun 8, 07 10:47 am  · 
 · 

Jonas- no, I am most definitely not male. Common mistake though.

So, I get in my car to drop a friend off somewhere last night and.... it won't start. I haven't used it in so long that the battery drained!! I think that's a sign that I'm adapting to the idea of going car-free rather nicely. I also had to take the car to work today so that I can maybe hit a jobsite later on, and man am I cranky. I don't like that one bit, not when I know there's a much more fun way to get to work, sitting lonely on my balcony.

Jun 8, 07 11:41 am  · 
 · 
el jeffe

hey all,
i'm wanting to get back into cycling and was considering a fixie for a couple of reasons. Mechanical simplicity, (presumably - though I haven't researched them yet) lower cost than a geared/braked bike, and the sheer adrenaline factor of the direct connection.
my question though, is that since I haven't ridden in about 10 years, am I getting myself in over my head?
My riding up until then was a mountain bike on the streets in ABQ and LA so I'm not a newbie to cycling - just fixies.
thanks.

Jun 8, 07 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

track for wheelies...

Dude, el jeffe. Riding fixed is just like riding any other bike. They all have their advantages, just be prepared for your legs to get swoll up and cut like no other. Ride with a brake and a low gear ration to get the hang of it...

Jun 9, 07 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

sweet prolly - i was hoping you'd add your 0.02.

since posting that i've learned about a flip-flop hub. kinda wuss but maybe a good idea at first...

thanks.

Jun 10, 07 12:14 pm  · 
 · 

found this on Core77

designed by Roland Kaufmann a graduate ID at the University of Applied Sciences in Austria

Jun 10, 07 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
PsyArch

PsyArch appears online and in print in some of Rapha's expensive clothes:

Yay!

Jun 10, 07 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
nambypambics

My bike came!!!

:D

Jun 10, 07 5:17 pm  · 
 · 

does that mean you can get me the Rapha shants on the cheap?

Jun 10, 07 9:50 pm  · 
 · 

and Boston doesn't believe in those silly tricks.

ps: won this on ebay, comes with a Hatta Swan HS! got a new set of Sugino 75s, a Sugino BB, and halflink chain waiting for it already. Its gonna be my track/nice weather ride and gonna put a new fork on my beater for my rain/polo/beater bike. Gonna try to trade the IRO for a road frame, as I have parts of a Ultegra gruppo waiting for a home.

Jun 10, 07 9:54 pm  · 
 · 
PsyArch

Pix,
indeed I do get much free Rapha kit. The "Fixed Shorts" are a joy to wear and style nicely with just about everything.

Half-link chain - they look great, but watch how they stretch, particularly if it is the earlier edition the links are actually kinked and as the kinks straighten under the pressure of fixed riding, the chain stretches in a hurry.

The Connex 1G8 BMX chains are weighty but they look the business and they don't stretch. They only supply 96 links.

Jun 11, 07 5:39 am  · 
 · 
Jonas77

check out this pic i just got it in e-mail last week from the guy who made my bike

it is way going to beat the speed trial speed of last year of 58 mph

@ 28hp weight 65lbs

Jun 11, 07 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

[img=size 400]http://i9.tinypic.com/688dnja.jpg[/img]

Jun 11, 07 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

[img size=400]http://i9.tinypic.com/688dnja.jpg[/img]

Jun 11, 07 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
PsyArch

it should read like this after the .jpg: .jpg width=400[/img]

Jun 11, 07 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly
and Boston doesn't believe in those silly tricks.

Boston this, Boston that... I don't really think NYC cares either.

Frame looks nice man. Baby Blue? Are you rockin' more color now? Maybe NYC is rubbin off on you.
Jun 11, 07 6:13 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

Jonas,

that looks too much like this...

Jun 11, 07 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77
Jun 11, 07 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly
Jun 12, 07 2:00 am  · 
 · 
stephanie

this is my bike! it is a pink 1991 schwinn caliente! (it was my 11th birthday present.) this picture was taken down in the parking garage of my office. i'm thinking about converting it to a fixie...

Jun 19, 07 11:55 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Don't know if you guys had heard about this but it looks interesting.....free bike program in Barcelona....kinda cool:

"Bicing"

Also cross-posted in Green Thread Central.....

Jun 20, 07 11:52 pm  · 
 · 

the NIM city bike

Jun 21, 07 6:39 pm  · 
 · 

very interesting. I've seen a few wooden designs featured on treehugger as well, and they're beautiful but I can't imagine they'd feel very good.

I understand people who own too many bikes now... I've only had mine a while and I'm already thinking about what the next one will be!! I figure in a year or two I'll let myself upgrade to a more traditional road bike. Mine is feeling kind of heavy and clunky to me (although this may be resolved when I move and no longer have to carry it upstairs). And though I thought the more 'heads-up' position of a hybrid would suit me, I find myself really leaning forward into it a lot, and am now betting that the road position would feel better than I'd anticipated.

Jun 21, 07 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

I got "arrested" in Santa Monica last night for riding my bike with no headlight. I have warned so many people before about this, and finally I get to be my own example. Yay. He threw my bike in a cab and made me get out of Santa Monica. Ha. I feel bad for the cabbie because I was a little short on funds after the bar.

Well, I should be happy he didn't get me on drunk charges.

Jun 24, 07 2:14 pm  · 
 · 

that's so old school, didn't know they still needed folks to ride with lights at night. But really the silly thing is to be riding at night are you crazy...wait I'm talking garpike (of course you are)

Jun 24, 07 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

i got a ticket for riding on the wrong side of the road, Sacramento style.
never payed it got a warrant and then got arrested later when i was a passenger in a car and got my ID ran.

but arrested for no bike light?! especially in well lit areas that is just as bad as the broken health insurance industry or the war on drugs or terrorism. industrial complex is everywhere....

architechnophilia what are the features of that bike?

Jun 24, 07 9:20 pm  · 
 · 

I don't get the indignation over garpike's ticket.... A car needs headlights at night. Bicyclists complain a lot about cars not sharing the road and treating us as vehicles equally deserving of consideration, so why shouldn't we be subject to the same laws as cars are?

Jun 24, 07 10:10 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Ha ha, garpike's a bike criminal!

Guess I should get a light too, huh?

Jun 24, 07 10:44 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

I was in the wrong. I am feeling very, very fortunate. The cop could have easily had me on other charges.

Jun 26, 07 12:43 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

BUI? BWH?

Jun 26, 07 9:53 am  · 
 · 
PsyArch

Because I can't help myself:

Smithfield Nocturne

PsyArch wins! as part of team Creative Couriers.

I promised the gods (Hermes in particular) that if I rode, and we won, I would get wings tattooed on my ankles. shitdamn.

Yay.

Jun 27, 07 9:43 am  · 
 · 
pabloM

mine:

Jun 28, 07 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
Sconie

does anyone have an idea when the 2008 Jamis Sputnik will be released? i heard september-ish.

Jun 28, 07 8:03 pm  · 
 · 

from Core77 the Best Road Bike

Jul 3, 07 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

i get my Machine X burro back today....... FY

Jul 3, 07 6:05 pm  · 
 · 

As I'm already hankering for a road bike, that makes me drool in a big way, techno.

I'm thinking that my trip to Seattle in August will be of the car-free variety, and I'll rent a bike to explore potential neighborhoods. The bike station up there rents road bikes, so I may just test one out.

Jul 3, 07 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

ya bikes rule but its' 117 outside grrr
but on a lighter side i get my 61 tooth chain ring SOON muahaha

Jul 3, 07 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
Appleseed

You can mos def get a DUI on a bike-

Jul 3, 07 7:55 pm  · 
 · 

How often do you guys lube your chains? I've developed a seriously annoying squeak and am sure that's all it needs, was just suprised that it needed it so soon. It's only a two month old bike. But then again, I guess I'm coming up on about 350 miles on it, so maybe that's not so long?

Jul 4, 07 3:16 am  · 
 · 
Sconie

im sure some of you read trackosaurus rex. i dont, but a friend of mine who reads it religiously pointed out this spread. its from a publication called 03.MAG(japan). very interesting.

large size spread form 03.MAG

Jul 4, 07 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
FRO

r-

I lube my mountain bike chains every ride, whether it seems needed or not, because I can't tolerate that squeak while climbing, or the missed shift hammering out of a turn. Town bikes I lube when they make a noise, or I'm in the mood, or I'm hitting the MTB chain and another bike is next to me.

I use T9 in the drip bottle, not the spray. I wipe the whole chain down with a rag, then hit the inside of each roller on the chain with 1 drop. Let it sit anywhere from 1 minute to overnight, then wipe the chain down with a rag again. There are a million lubes and a million techniques, so your mileage may vary.

Jul 5, 07 5:38 pm  · 
 · 

Thanks! what does that equate to (for the town bike) in miles? I guess I'm trying get a guage of how much preventative maintanence I should be doing- like, should I just lube it every 200 miles or something, instead of waiting for the squeak? Or is the squeak happening after only 350 miles really soon and a sign that I've been abusing the thing horribly somehow?

Also, how often should one do a full tuneup?

Jul 5, 07 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
Sconie

rationalist, i really appreciate people who take care of their equipment.

i don't mean to sound like a smart ass, but the quickest/easiest way to remedy a bike issue is to get friendly with your local bike shop. i used to work for one, and i loved to geek out on people about bikes.

as far as the squeak situation, what conditions do you ride under matters somewhat. generally, wet lubes are best for wet condition, and dry lubes are best for dry conditions. liquid wax lubricants keep your chain super clean/grime free or a good while, but are supposedly not as effective as dry or wet. if your just riding around town(and its not Seattle) there are plenty of good, thin bodied, dry lubricants that wont become tacky or absorb dirt/grime. unfortunately, rain will render your dry lube no more, and you'll have to re-up. people who ride mountain bikes often use wet lube. they typically clean, and re-lube a lot because they ride in more extreme conditions(like our friend FRO probably does). there are no hard and fast rule to the lube game. use as needed. lastly, please go for the environmentally friendly lubricants.

Jul 6, 07 2:08 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: