Archinect
anchor

good food for LA archinect'ers

c.k.

yeah, I don't understand what the hype is about Tito's tacos, I went once just because I kept driving by and there were always hordes of people in line there.

my favorite place is the lebanese cafe on westwood blvd. nothing fancy about the place, but the food is the closest to what I like about middle eastern food. I love those sour yogurt drinks.

Jul 19, 06 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

same hype w/ pink's dogs. skooby's is much much better and you don't have to wait 45 min for a hot dog.

Jul 19, 06 8:02 pm  · 
 · 

has anyone eaten at estrella taco in pasadena? (just north of the 210 on fair oaks). I have searched far and wide, and i have come to the conclusion that they have the best fish taco in town.

Jul 19, 06 8:28 pm  · 
 · 
tman

DOT

Try Baja Fish Tacos near the South Coast Plaza Mall (i think it's in South Coast Village) in Costa Mesa. That is the best fish tacos I've found. Maybe I'll try yours, and we can compare to see which is really the best.

Jul 19, 06 9:11 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

Tito's tacos is pretty bad as far as tacos go. i would not wait there even they give it away. mediocre food by la standarts. same goes for pinks, mainly a tourist doggie.

i think la's jewish delis deserve a lot of credit. not only for delicious food but also the urban culture.
langer's, canter's, jerry's, izzy's and nate 'n al's are the best. astro used to have individual juke boxes with 'i put a spell on you' in some.
if you want a good soup, sandwich or knish, go to a deli. mile thick tounge sandwiches at izzy's in santa monica. yum. kibbitz room at canter's, what a dive, use to have 50 cents beers in small mugs. 10 beers and a corned beef sandwich after that go out all night and come back for matzoball...go to sleep before the sun gets high.

Jul 19, 06 9:29 pm  · 
 · 

tman, i'm up to that challenge...if i ever find myself in costa mesa.

but i'm pretty sure that neither of these places can compare to any fish taco actually made in baja. took a trip down there last summer and experienced fish taco enlightenment. my standards have never been the same since.

Jul 19, 06 11:14 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

Tacos!TACOS!!!!

tacohunt.blogspot.com

Jul 21, 06 11:59 am  · 
 · 
dsc_arch

If it is still there, Tommy burgers. The Chili cheeseburger keeps with you for weeks and weeks. Other than that In and Out is the best of LA cuisine.

Jul 23, 06 7:31 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

your In N' Out loyalty betrays your lack of experience in the LA burger world:

father's office. father's office. father's office. nuff said.

other good burgers (but not as good):
lucky devil's
rick's (on main in santa monica)

Jul 24, 06 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
dsc_arch

I would not say that. However, every time i get back to LA i go to In -n- out to pick uop a doubble-doubble and a t shirt.

I have never seen a production level burger better. Island's on the west side has much better made to order burger's.

BTW what does "Father's Office" mean? my dad is a CPA.

Jul 24, 06 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

I understand why people like Father's Office, but the fascist ketchup policy and condescending attitude ruins it for me. I fantasize that one day I will go in there and put a bottle of Heinz ketchup on every table. I will probably be shot in the back in the process.

For the burger quotidienne, Tommy's is where it is at.

Jul 25, 06 1:30 am  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

janosh. it's a purity thing. it's like you just designed your masterpiece house and the client goes and changes your custom, meticulously detailed front door w/ this:

Jul 25, 06 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

ACFA - I know where you are coming from and am sympathetic. But I find both aioli and Richard Meier repellant, and I see a lot of Getty Center in in Father's Office's anti-ketchup mandate.

Lucien Kroll would let us have ketchup.

Jul 25, 06 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

...let them eat ketchup! (or catsup as the case may be)

Jul 25, 06 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
bUbBLe

i love "Falafel King" in Westwood, it's huge and only a sevearl bucks..

Jul 26, 06 7:08 pm  · 
 · 

sorry i know father's office even before some of you were born and montana ave was just another sleepy town where the cows used to graze and you could hear the frogs.
i tend to agree with janosh. father has always been full of himself.
yes they get the credit for being a no smoking bar even before it was banned to smoke inside regular offices and all, but the stuff about the ketchup is a red line about their arrogance, yes i was 86'd from the father's in my dark ale past.
so, may i suggest the good people who aren't so skimpy about the tomato thing plus the operation's architecture has all the ingredients of a masterpiece? thats right, no custom door could take away that.

Jul 26, 06 8:46 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

anyone where i can get some kabobs near lincoln and washington?...

Jul 2, 07 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

*know

Jul 2, 07 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

there's a place in a minimall across from santa monica college on pico where you can prob. get kabobs, but that's still a bit far...

Jul 2, 07 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

That's Falafel King. Their stuff is pretty good.

There is a Syrian place on Santa Monica (in SM) called Sham. They have some decent lamb sandwiches...

Jul 3, 07 10:26 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: