Archinect
anchor

earthday

cln1

well i guess i was merely thinking of my present living situation with about 50sf of grass outside of my residence - if you want to talk about something totatlly different - where someone owned dozens of acres and/or existing farmland that would not be harvested by said person... but even if the cost of produce was on the rise and that person could lock in, i highly doubt that the one family (even extended family) would purchase enough produce for it to be worth it... maybe if the person also owned a local restaurant and could lock in the fresh produce at a lower rate, but i would still think that some sort of lease would be signed as well.

which brings me back to my original concerns regarding citizenre - they are esentially using your property to sell you something that they themselves are not paying for (minus the cost of the pv's) at a rate equal to that of a utility with much higher operating costs.

i also did not see any mention to what happens after the 5 yr contract is up?

i do like rationalist's idea of the rent to own PV's as a way for those who do not have the $$ to go out and purchase themselves - but then Jonas is saying they are not too expensive...

what bothers me is not an ownership society, but that this corporation (in my opinion) has not changed the way standard utilities operate, and it sets up a situation with the potential for them to hold you hostage.

it does bring up interesting debates though, which makes me happy and fills me with optimism. just needs to go a little further to sell me on it - either the rent to own, or 1/2 the rate, or maybe even the potential to power streetlights with a discounted tax rate for the person who's property is used...

time for a coffee

Apr 24, 07 8:29 am  · 
 · 
n_

Has anyone seen this website?

http://www.designcanchange.org/#

Apr 24, 07 9:28 am  · 
 · 

I'll check that out in a moment.... in the meantime, use this website to calculate your ecological footprint.

I put in my current information, and got 16 acres. I put in my estimated information after I move (more plane travel, more bus travel, no car travel, less dense neighborhood, but more local/organic groceries), and got 12 acres. So my move will save 4 acres of earth.

Apr 24, 07 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
Starland Vocal Band

Those things always make me feel guilty. I'm at 20 but I think I can get down to 15.

Apr 24, 07 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

OK, I have an update....

I found a Podcast that did a report on the Citizenre corporation and I'm listening to it, and since I brought it up, I thought I would report back on what I've found.

Apparently this Citizenre thing is pretty complicated. It's more than just a company that installs solar panels.....it's actually a complex, multi-level marketing company. I'm paraphrasing, but they describe themselves as being in a network of complete cooperation where everyone is just trying make the greater good work, rather than competing against each other......

Well, you don't have to join the marketing network to get a system but you can, and if you do, and you get other people to sign up, then you get money back based on their solar power generation.

Also they have big goals but apparently haven't even started building the plant to make the panels yet, which is estimated to take at least 9 months. Add this to the fact that they only have about 13,000 people signed up, and you are looking at customers not getting solar power for another 3-4 years.

I'm not all the way through it so I'll let you know if I find out anything else. It is certainly an interesting, albeit somewhat complicated concept.....

Apr 24, 07 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
Globalwarming Awareness2007

Ten things that governments should do

Hi Friends,

I am taking notes on things that GOV should do to avoid Global warming.

http://globalwarming-awareness2007-arshad.com/

Please help me expand the topic.

Thanks!
Arshad

Apr 27, 07 10:53 am  · 
 · 

How We can spread the word global warming all around the world

HELP ME! By submitting slogan about global warming...

Submit your slogan to help stop global warming pollution here :

You know how dangerous the effects of global warming could be, and now it's time to spread the word to others. We need a slogan for our campaign to get Representatives
and Senators to co-sponsor the Safe Climate Act, the only comprehensive, science-based legislation that requires the pollution reductions needed to prevent the worst
consequences of global warming. Can you help us by submitting your ideas for a campaign slogan? Slogans should be short and catchy. So get your creative juices flowing
and submit a slogan to fight global warming!

Find more information here : http://globalwarming-awareness2007-arshad.com

Apr 27, 07 10:55 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: