Archinect
anchor

Interview Clothes Advice?

prairie school drop out

mar09, i wish this was the kind of firm where i would be better off interviewing not in a suit. but it's not, and in this economy i'm going to take what i can get. also, everyone's wearing suits and ties on their web photos (and the firm is way out in the burbs)

i have decided against hose, though, because of the heat, but i am going to try to stick with the jacket, since i have some ink i think i would be better off keeping out of sight.

Aug 12, 10 11:29 pm  · 
 · 
Larchinect

Did anyone else cringe while scrolling through that set of photos at the top?

Aug 13, 10 12:29 am  · 
 · 
pickfirst

I hope my vote goes without saying - Absolutely.

But it's the culture, Man! Get with the program!

Aug 13, 10 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
Ledoux's Eye

Another interesting thread. I guess I'm old school. I expect people that I am interviewing to show up in a suit. Yes, it can be stylish and does not have to be super expensive, but I want to get the feeling that the individual actually wants the job. If the office culture is less formal than that...show up to work on the first day wearing whatever the office culture is....but ONLY after you actually GET the job.

Aug 13, 10 11:48 pm  · 
 · 
Macpod

well..........

If you have the skills and experience they need then a clean tshirt and neat haircut will do.

I have never worn leather shoes or a suit to an interview and it never mattered.

But neither have i interviewed at a place where people wore shirts and suits.....

Aug 14, 10 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
kunal.ghevaria

Maybe a smartly cut black suit with a edgy tie/shirt/watch/socks/shoes satisfies all 'criteria'?

Aug 14, 10 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

this discussion is priceless!

Just show as much skin as possible. Suit jacket, pants, sandals, no undershirt

Jan 29, 18 9:57 am  · 
 · 
accesskb

no ones cares about your clothes.. You could show up in an underwear but still get hired if your portfolio blows everyone away xD

Jan 29, 18 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
an_cherniy96

I'd say keep it neutral and wear something that you feel most comfortable in.

Dec 1, 23 2:12 am  · 
 · 
bennyc

Adidas jumpsuit has always worked for me

Dec 9, 23 9:09 am  · 
1  · 
gwharton

Dec 11, 23 1:11 pm  · 
2  · 
baobap47

Check out the firm's website, and see what teams are wearing in their profile photos. Pick up the overall style, that would be a safe bet. 

Dec 12, 23 11:35 am  · 
 · 

Professional business office attire. Dress as you would apply for any other profession (aside from doctors in medical attire) like lawyers. An architecture studio is an office by the way. There are times when dressing in other attire is acceptable but when you go to an interview, you meet in an office, not a construction site. Meet in person and dress appropriately. You might be allowed to dress a little less formally in the day-to-day work but you should dress like you would if you were in an interview with a client seeking the commission as you would when you are licensed. Even as a building designer, there is dressing to some professional level. At an interview, things will likely be more formal. If however, there is any indication to be dressed more business casual, maybe dress a little bit closer to formal than the more casual day-to-day attire but maybe not full formal attire if that is clear by the firm. However, before interviewing get comfortable wearing the attire. If all you ever wore was t-shirts and jeans, don't wait until the day of the interview to wear a suit. You WILL look and come across feeling uncomfortable and that will communicate to the interviewer(s) that you are uncomfortable working there. So GET accustomed to wearing dress shirts and dress pants and then wearing a tie and business jacket. Get comfortable with the attire otherwise, it will be noticed. We all know in day-to-day life, in the office, the jacket is taken off. You'll be in your dress shirt and maybe with a tie. If you where the three-piece suit (that is, with the vest), the vest would help keep the tie in place and not a draping tongue when you are over the drafting table or something. Okay, you won't likely be at drafting table in the 21st century. You can find a decent but not an exuberantly expensive suit. You should have at least 3 or so suits in your wardrobe as a professional. They should all be suits your size and changed out when you can't fit into them. 

Dec 13, 23 3:29 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: