Archinect
anchor

Renzo Piano nomadic tent? Anyone?

As I mentioned recently in the News, Archinect member French made a very interesting observation recently, commenting that Shigeru Ban's Pompidou Metz appears to have been influenced by an 1960's nomadic tent project by Renzo Piano (co-architect of the original Paris Pompidou).

Does anyone out there have any information about this project? Images?

On a somewhat related, and hilarious, side note. After a quick Google search I came across a student's paper on Piano. This student mistakenly used a photo of Renzo Piano's doppelganger Henry Winkler for his essay, as seen in Archinect's famous Separated at Birth thread.

May 18, 10 6:51 pm
gresham

Paul:

I can't find any images of the project online, but I believe the project in question is the Mobile Sulfur Extraction Factory, Rome, 1966. It's a vaulted, expandable structure that is reminiscent of Ban's work.

There are several images of the project in the Renzo Piano Logbook from Monacelli Press, if you can locate a copy. The book also features several other temporary structures that Piano completed in the 60s.

May 18, 10 7:18 pm  · 
 · 

Thanks Gresham. I'm not sure if that's the same project French was thinking about though. Here is French's comment:

this project is, to me, an interpretation or an hommage of a very old utopian project of Piano (that I cant find any picture of) back in the 60's; it was a small tent that you would bring from village to village to generate debates and discussions amongst the citizens, about public spaces. A public space generator.

May 18, 10 7:42 pm  · 
 · 
gresham

Hmmm... well, there is another project in the Logbook from 1978 called the Urban Reconstruction Workshop, which was erected in Otranto, Italy. The summary for the project states:

"This is a program for the rehabilitation of historic centers, sponsored by UNESCO. It is a unit that can be transported on a truck and set up in the middle of a city's historic area. It is organized into four sections that correspond to the four sides of a cube: analysis and diagnosis, information and education, open project, work and construction. The project was based on participation."

I can't link to it directly, but you can find the project in the All Projects > Italy section of Piano's web site: www.rpbw.com

In terms of program, this sounds a lot closer to what French is describing.

May 18, 10 8:56 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

didn't he doing something at a triennale in the 60s as well? ugh, i need to get the last few boxes of books...

May 18, 10 8:59 pm  · 
 · 
blah

Holz,

He made the Italian Industry Building building at the Expo in Osaka in 1969-70.

"Polyester membrane"

May 18, 10 10:42 pm  · 
 · 
led signal light

a generated public space. viola!

May 18, 10 11:02 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

i think that this was before, like '65 or '66...

but wasn't familiar with osaka project.

May 18, 10 11:02 pm  · 
 · 
Geoff Manaugh

"the Mobile Sulfur Extraction Factory, Rome, 1966... a vaulted, expandable structure"

This sounds awesome, I'd love to see images of it.

May 23, 10 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
blah

It has the roof geometry that became the SF Science Museum roof.

Lemme dig out the scanner...

May 23, 10 10:08 pm  · 
 · 
blah

My mistake...

May 24, 10 12:19 am  · 
 · 
blah

This is what reminds of the SF Science Museum roof.

The roof acts as another facade to be articulated and interacted with.

May 24, 10 1:04 am  · 
 · 
blah

Here is his woodworking shop. He was having a great time!!!

May 24, 10 1:07 am  · 
 · 
blah

Source:

Is it a different project?

May 24, 10 1:08 am  · 
 · 
millamara

make
Good morning.

I saw that you posted some images from a book, about renzo piano.
I would like to know if you could tell me the name of the book, ando also ask if this book has something about The Urban Reconstruction Workshop, which was erected in Otranto, Italy.

I'm writing a paper about two renzo piano's projet: IBM traveling pavilion and The Urban Reconstruction Workshop.

thanks

Sincerly

May 25, 10 10:04 am  · 
 · 
blah

The cover is displayed above your post. You can look it up in your college library catalog.

May 25, 10 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
gresham

Millamara:

Got your email. There's about 4 pages each on the Urban Reconstruction Workshop and the IBM Pavilion in the Logbook. You should be about to locate a copy of the book through your school library.

May 26, 10 9:52 am  · 
 · 
millamara

Make:

Thanks!

May 31, 10 9:39 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: